• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Which Cooking Magazine Do You Read/Like?

a couple recipes.I would also recommend Cooks Illustrated. It has a lot of the "why" behind the "how." Some of the recipes are frou-frou, but there's usually several down-home basics in each issue, plus variations. And they do equipment reviews (sometimes with PC items in the list) that can be very helpful for shows, because you can explain things to look for.Cooks Illustrated for me with an occassional Rachel Ray, Paula Deen or Bon Appetit thrown in.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hello again.

I wanted to know which of you subscribe to cooking magazines and which are your favorites and why.

I want to subscribe to a magazine or two but am having a difficult time narrowing it down. I've already done Taste of Home and would like something a little more refined. I was considering Bon Appetite, but am not sure if that is too high brow or if the food presented in there is realistic for my every day meals.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

TIA! I look forward to what you guys have to say. :)

I do like the Cooking Light Magazine and have purchased several of these over the counter if you will, and have made a few of the recipes in there. However I thirst for more! I want knowledge, science, know-how and the in's and out's and the why's of cooking... plus recipes of things I would actually eat or want to try that aren't too froo-froo.

Thanks guys!

Taste of Home, Light and Tasty, Cooking for 2

"Buns across the ocean"...... (threw that in just for you)

cwinter474 said:
Taste of Home, Light and Tasty, Cooking for 2

"Buns across the ocean"...... (threw that in just for you)

I've done all of those, and want to expand and broaden my culinary skills so I was trying to find a magazine or two that did that.

And those buns were more like buns in an oven, thank you very much!

(you kill me! too funny! :) :D :p

I read a few Cook's Illustrated magazines that my mom gave me, and I love them!! There are so many tips, good recipes, equipment ratings/tips, you name it. Of the cooking magazines I've read, it's my favorite.

I subscribe to Rachael Ray Everyday and Cook's Illustrated. They both offer great tips for me to share, but they're different enough for me to feel it's worth paying both subscriptions. Plus, they're tax write-offs.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Cook's Illustrated, too. You say you want:
I want knowledge, science, know-how and the in's and out's and the why's of cooking... plus recipes of things I would actually eat or want to try that aren't too froo-froo.
and they have a LOT of the "why" behind the "how." Some of the recipes are frou-frou, but there's usually several down-home basics in each issue, plus variations. And they do equipment reviews (sometimes with PC items in the list) that can be very helpful for shows, because you can explain things to look for.

Cook's Illustrated for me with an occassional Rachel Ray, Paula Deen or Bon Appetit thrown in.

Whenever I buy a cooking magazine or cookbook I make sure I pull a couple tips or inspirations from it to incorporate into a show or two. I want the tax deduction for professional reading. (If you are audited, you may have to prove this so I actually keep a little notebook for this...I hate to sound nerdy, but money is money!)

This may sound generic but I like the Kraft Foods magazine. It's free (bonus) and it has real meals in it. You can go to Kraft's website and get it.

I have subscribed to all the magazines mentioned plus Gourmet magazine.

I'm a Southern Living kind of gal!

I have to go with Cooks Illustrated too - it gives you all of that added information you are thirsty for!I have gotten great recipes from there too. They will take a recipe - say for brownies - and try it every way imaginable, to come up with the PERFECT brownie. Or the perfect way to roast chicken, or the perfect Thanksgiving Turkey...and they don't just give you the recipe, they give you all of the steps they took to get to the perfect recipe. I love it - it's a lot of fun to read, and I learn something new with every issue!(Oh - and I also get Bon Appetit, and have gotten all of the others mentioned at various times. I love Cooking Magazines!)

I got a bunch from http://www.bestdealmagazines.com during Christmastime. Someone on here posted the link. I think i got Rachael Ray for $4.59 for two years! I ordered a bunch not just cooking for like $25 (we got 5 subscriptions between DH and I).

I like the covers lately on Family Circle...

I do like Taste of Home, but they are about $9.99 each! But I think they are quarterly.

cwinter474 said:
I'm not a big fan of Cooking Light, to fancy for us Okie's.

Check this website out I really enjoy it..
Cook's Illustrated-Recipe Resource

Carol

I thought that too at first, but man- most of the stuff is just photographed to look fancy and I've truly loved everything I've made from there! :)

pamperedlinda said:
I'm a Southern Living kind of gal!
Noooo- really!?!

Kidding, how are you doing by the way? Better I hope! Still sending happy vibes for your laptop!

Kitchen Diva said:
Noooo- really!?!

Kidding, how are you doing by the way? Better I hope! Still sending happy vibes for your laptop!
Can you even get SL way up in northern klondike where you are? Love Love Love that magazine! Found my house plans in it several years ago too - DH about had a fit when I showed it to him, finally got him to understand that the upgrades, decorations and furniture (and landscaping) didn't come with the blue-prints and he was sold! woo hoo now I own a SL home!

I'm better today, thanks (at least until the PC surgeon calls with my diagnosis :( ) keep sending your prayers and good vibes though.

I'll have to look into Cooks Illustrated; sounds interesting....I love Rachel Ray, & I also like the Kraft magazine & Family Circle; they both have good basic tips.

Hi Kacey,

I just went through what you're doing. I just wasn't happy with the same old magazines/cookbooks I'd been looking at. I decided to give them all a good look. I bought a copy of all of the different ones (magazines) and decided on Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. They're the best. They have super recipes and complete information on how they created them. They also have product recommendations and are just all about cooking. And no advertising!!
You'll love 'em!

I get Rachael Ray's mag. It's pretty good. It has some useful tips in it.

My favorite is COOK'S COUNTRY!! No ads, includes product reviews, recipe "makeovers" where they detail how they came up with the new PERFECT recipe.

I get a few other cooking mags, but this is the only one that I am currently SAVING for future reference. I haven't been able to find it on one of the cheapie magazine sites, so it's about $20 for a year (6 issues) but VERY MUCH WORTH IT!! Lots of tips and hints, too! Each month they have "Kitchen Shortcuts: reader's share clever tips for everyday cooking challenges" This is where I learned to use our apple wedger to cut an apple, but not cut all the way through. Remove the wedger, and rubberband the apple "back together" including the core. This keeps the air from hitting the cut edges and helps it not to brown if you are taking it in you lunch. Just put it in a plastic sandwich bag and go!

Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated are by the same team. Country has more home-style recipes. They're both great publications.

I get Saveur, love the information in it. It's not your "cook everyday" kind of magazine though.

I get Paula Dean's and LOVE it! I get Rachel Ray's but do not like it that much.

I love Taste of Home and Quick Cooking.

Also, Kacey to you get the FREE one from Kraft? I LOVE it! Go to Kraft Foods - Great Recipes and Food Ideas to sign up for it. You can also view old ones on their website.

Which ones do I not get? That should be the question!!! My favorite is a new one called "Clean Eating!" Cooks Illustrated, Cooking Club of America's "Cooking Pleasures", Taste of Home, Cooking Light, Fine Cooking and any others that I see and just have to have! This month I picked up a few more because they had a special feature on grilling. Including Gourmet and Every Day with Rachel Ray.
I am a magazine feak! Lord Help Me!!!:rolleyes: :blushing: :D :angel:

I have recently started getting Cuisine at Home. I'm really happy with that one too. It has some great recipes in it as well as some of the how to's, sciencey type stuff. I believe it's in the same family as Cook's Illustrated & Cook's Country. I've had both of those as well. I've also got Paula's. Had Rachael Ray's last year & didn't care too much for it.

Cuisine at Home, Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country

Oh - and Kacey - the Summer issue of Cooks Illustrated has an article on making the perfect grilled burger!:thumbup: (The whole issue is on Grilling - I haven't read it yet....saving it for Vacation reading!)

Definately Cooks Illustrated. Love the quick tips and the recipes are amazing!

jwpamp said:
Definately Cooks Illustrated. Love the quick tips and the recipes are amazing!

The quick tips alone make it a write-off for our businesses! There are always several in each issue that can be used at shows!

Southern Living
Cooking Light
Bon Appetit
EveryDay with Racheal Ray
Taste of Home

I am a magazine junkie, but some of these were a free year for buying so much from Sur La Table, SLAH and TOHE.

Hope you had a great first day at work. :)

jrodeo said:
Hi Kacey,

I just went through what you're doing. I just wasn't happy with the same old magazines/cookbooks I'd been looking at. I decided to give them all a good look. I bought a copy of all of the different ones (magazines) and decided on Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. They're the best. They have super recipes and complete information on how they created them. They also have product recommendations and are just all about cooking. And no advertising!!
You'll love 'em!

Thanks, Julie- I can't wait to get them in the mail. Sadly they all take like 4-6 weeks before they come! I wish it didn't take so long!

Thanks guys! I have 3 or 4 (lost count) free preview magazines coming from various places! :)

on top of all my cooking mags, I get all the fashion mags, Soap Opera Weekly
( can't live without that one :), People, US , Cosmo and Glamour.
I am a nut, I know :) I also get parents and Family Fun for the parent side of me :)

I love Cooks Illustrated and Gourmet.

I get Rachel Ray and Kraft, I love the kraft one but is it me or the last 2 issues have been different. The make the magaizine smaller and I don't feel I got as much out of it. I also get People and can't live with out it. My DH reads that one too. I pass my others onto friends once I copy the recipes out of it.

Related to Which Cooking Magazine Do You Read/Like?

1. "Which cooking magazines do you subscribe to and why?"

At Pampered Chef, we have a variety of cooking magazines that we enjoy reading and find helpful for recipe inspiration and cooking tips. Some of our favorites include Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Food & Wine, and Saveur. Each of these magazines offers a unique perspective on food and cooking, and we appreciate the variety of recipes and articles they provide.

2. "Is Bon Appetit too high brow for everyday meals?"

While Bon Appetit does feature more gourmet and upscale recipes, they also offer a wide range of dishes that can be easily incorporated into everyday meals. Many of their recipes can be simplified or adapted to fit different budgets and dietary needs. We recommend giving it a try and seeing if their recipes align with your cooking style and preferences.

3. "What are some other options besides Taste of Home for more refined cooking magazines?"

If you're looking for a more refined cooking magazine, we suggest checking out Food & Wine or Saveur. Both offer a mix of gourmet and approachable recipes, as well as articles and features on food culture and trends.

4. "What cooking magazines offer a balance of knowledge, science, and practical recipes?"

Cooking Light is a great option for those seeking a balance of knowledge, science, and practical recipes. They often include articles on nutrition and healthy cooking, as well as tips and techniques for improving your skills in the kitchen. Additionally, Food & Wine and Saveur also offer a mix of informative articles and diverse recipes.

5. "Do you have any recommendations for cooking magazines that offer both approachable and more sophisticated recipes?"

We suggest checking out Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, and Saveur for a mix of approachable and sophisticated recipes. Each of these magazines offers a variety of dishes that cater to different tastes and skill levels. We also recommend trying out different recipes and experimenting with new ingredients to expand your cooking repertoire.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • JC 2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • The_Kitchen_Guy