When can you wash your hair after a perm or color???

Discussion in 'Chef's Lounge' started by Lisa/ChefBear, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Gold Member

Hi all,
    My dd got her hair permed last night and we know Gracie told us when she could wash hair (sooner than I remembered) and now can't remember if she can wash it today.

Also, I had my haired colored for first time ever and wanted to wash it today, but wasnt' sure if I could, anyone??

Thanks,

Lisa

2. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

It's been a while since I worked as a shampoo girl in a salon, so things might be different now...But it used to be that you don't shampoo your hair after a perm for 2 days. When perms are done, they just rinse off the solution and then use conditioner on it. But you shouldn't wash it for the 2 days. If you had it colored, it's okay to wash it the next day. They shampoo it 2 times after the color is done processing, and it's fine. But I recommend you use a shampoo suited for color treated hair.

3. byrd1956

byrd1956 Gold Member

I've actually washed my hair the same day as having it colored. My hair dresser told me after 3 washings the color will have a softer look, so I guess it fades some, but I've never seen color come off in the tub. I do use shampoo for color treated hair.

4. chefcaroline

chefcaroline Gold Member

I have always washed my hair the next day after either a perm or getting it colored. I wasn't ever told any different, and my hair needs washing before going to work every day. I haven't ever had any problems with doing that.

5. Lisa/ChefBear

I do have the shampoo for color treated hair, but couldn't remember what Gracie told me and I didn't want to mess it up.

Lisa

6. Chefgirl2

Chefgirl2 Gold Member

Haven't you seen Legally Blonde? Washing your hair within 24 hours is strictly forbidden because it deactivates the amoni...thioculate.. and the curls won't hold(okay I made up the word to sound like what Elle said).

That is how Elle won her first case. It is the same with color. That I know because I just had my hair done before my class reunion and could Not wash my hair the morning we all met at the races...

7. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Silver Member

24 hours after a perm but immediately after color.

You have to rinse that excess color out somehow and it's never hurt me to mix a little shampoo with the water. Plus you must IMMEDIATELY condition.

8. Shawnna

Shawnna Gold Member

I have always heard 2 days after a perm but the hairdresser always washes my hair right after coloring. Washing hair too soon after a perm can cause you to lose some of the curl.

9. Lisa/ChefBear

Well I washed it tonight before my SU show I went to and so far so good, other than hubby did say it's a little lighter and he noticed a "highlight" of grey in one area he didn't notice last night.

Oh well, Gracie was thrilled how it took so strong to my grey, so hopefully it won't keep coming out..........maybe I'll wait a few more days now that it's "clean" again, lol.

Lisa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.