Weekday Dinners - Done!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by chefcharity, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefcharity

chefcharity

I am working my way through week 2 (I started with it) on the weekday Dinners-Done! So far, I have made the Easy Tortellini Toss and the Speedy Pork Fried Rice. Both were really good! The Pork Fried Rice is exceptional! Looking forward to leftovers for lunch! LOL!

Tonight is Glazed Teriyaki Meatballs and Noodles.

The shopping list was really easy to follow in the store. I know these are only, what, $5? But what a great selling tool!!

Anyone else try other recipes from the cards yet?

2. NooraK

NooraK Gold Member

I think they're $6.50. I know ChefAnn was posting recently about a typo she found, so I'm sure she's tried out some of the recipes.

3. Cherie0925

Cherie0925

I am working through Week 1 and am absolutely thrilled with the shopping list! I could even send my husband to the store and he managed finding (most) everything on the list!
    I have made the Turkey Tetrazini and it was delicious. Tonight is the penne with Italian Sausage. Can't wait!!

4. esavvymom

esavvymom

I can't believe I forgot about those recipes! I have been putting off my grocery list, but now I realize -It's already done! *hehe*

5. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Gold Member

I made the Morrocan Chicken last night and it was very good.

6. lmradlein

lmradlein Gold Member

I can't wait to get mine!!! How many weeks does it give you?

7. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

We had the Penne w/ Sausage and it was SO good! I loved it. I skipped putting in the red pepper flakes, since the sausage was hot sausage. I could make it w/ sweet/mild sausage next time so the kids will like it better. But it was great.

8. chefcharity

chefcharity

It has 2 weeks worth of dinners! Done in the DCB and on the stovetop. Then, the DCB recipes have a stove top option for those who do not have the DCB. Very cool

9. Pedey

Pedey

I just ordered mine yesterday! That card set is probably the 1 new fall product I am most excited about!! LOL

10. Gina M

Gina M Gold Member

Just made the Turkey Tetrazini tonight - it was a hit - inhaled by the family and quick to make! Can't wait to try the Parmesan Crusted Chicken tomorrow:)

11. pc_jessica

pc_jessica

ohhh i can't wait to get mine in the shipment!!

12. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

I made the Parmesan Crusted Chicken from the Week 1 group. DH and I really liked it. Kids wouldn't try it though. But they won't eat anything these days. :rolleyes:

13. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Good to know! It's what I'm making for our taste testing meeting next Monday!

14. darlinclem

darlinclem Gold Member

I made the Glazed Teriyaki Meatballs and Noodles. I did some serious substituting because I was working with what I had. I did the meatballs as written but did rice (instead of noodles), stir fry sauce (instead of Teriyaki) and snow peas along with colored bell peppers for the frozen vegis. Hubby, who is a fairly picky eater, loved it. I love that I can change a few ingredients around and have a completely different meal. BBQ sauce and rice would work too (hubby mentioned mashed potatoes). Sweet-n-sour with the noodles (chow mein). Love the versatility!

15. leftymac

leftymac

I like that versatility too, Darlene. Thanks for not bashing a recipe where you changed a million ingredients. It kills me when people do that! You can't review a recipe adequately if you didn't follow it! :)

16. chefcharity

chefcharity

I made the deep dish pizza last night. SOOOO, simple! It was good. I think next time I'll either do alot less mustard or substitute with bbq sauce. Kids wouldn't eat it because of the mustard taste. Think to make it a show recipe we would need to use more products then it calls for.

12" skillet
    Classic Batter Bowl
    Cutting Board
    Knife
    Food Chopper for onions
    Scraper
    measuring cup
    Mix n Chop
    Pizza Cutter
    Large Grooved cutting board to cut pizza on

add
    rotary grater on cheese
    Mandoline on tomatoes
    Could snip some fresh Basil in the prep bowls with the kitchen shears too
    Just some thoughts...

VERY quick recipe too!

17. floccies

floccies

Made the Rush Hour Chicken Fajitas.

Easy -- Good

Could all be prepped in the DCB in the fridge ready for when you get home.

Next time I will only use 1/2 the recommended Chipotle Rub. (Not too spicy for the adults -- but better for kids if it was just a bit more on the mild side)

18. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I posted a review last week of the Parmesan Crusted Chicken with creamy risotto. YUM!! And it reheated well, too. That's always a factor around here, where there are only 2 of us and most recipes make 4-6 servings. I posted a couple of small changes I'll make when I prepare that recipe in the future, but they're personal preference type changes (add more zucchini, more garlic, etc.).

19. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Gold Member

We have made the Savory Salisbury Steaks on Monday and loved them. My DD & SIL don't like garlic or onions in their meals so what we have done is to use Onion Soup Mix (1/2 packet) and about 1 teaspoon of our Crushed Peppercorn and Garlic Rub. Even the almost 3 yo and 1 yo old ate the meat! My SIL also said that it reheated well in the microwave for his lunch yesterday. Could use a vegetable or mashed potatoes added to the meal. Also made the Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Creamy Risotto. We loved them as well. The baby loved the rice! It is hilarious to watch her eat it! We had 2 servings left on it. I love the recipe cards because as we were saying last night, we would not be eating these recipes just to pick out of a cookbook but the card set "makes us" eat some new choices.

We also tried the Candied Cookies from the new Cookie Sheet Use & Care Sheet! They were yummy! We didn't add the extra M&Ms on the top either because we didn't think we needed so much chocolate in them with "little people" eating them! Again got a big thumbs up from everyone!

We are working our way through Week 1 of the recipe cards this week! My DD said the shopping was really easy with the shopping list and she also got the things on the Well Stocked Pantry List!

20. chefcharity

chefcharity

I added the Thai Peanut Sauce to my left over Speedy Fried Pork Rice and it was really good like that!!

21. esavvymom

esavvymom

Made this last night also. But my kids loved it! Took some coaxing to get them to try the rice, but one son requested it for lunch with "lots of that YUMMY rice" :D.

I had cut the chicken up into tenders, and the kids dipped those in sauce of their choice like Chicken Nuggets/strips that they liked.

DH and I enjoyed the dish with a nice glass of wine. Yum! (the dish..although the wine was delicious too!) :)

Going to try the Salisbury Steaks tonight.

22. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I just picked up the ingredients for Week 1, including several of the pantry staples that were running low in my cupboard. There were some other items in my cart, too. But my estimate is that the ingredients for the week ran about $50. That's without the chicken or beef, though, since I have those in the freezer already. And many of the staples will last for more than 1 week's rotation of recipes. That's not bad for 5 meals that serve 6 each.

23. cyberdonna31

cyberdonna31

Salisbury Steak- Weekday Dinners Done Recipe Collection
    Rating- Mine was not good. Not a quick and easy meal to make and took a lot of time. I made the patties too thick and grilled them which I shouldn’t have done. They ended up char grilled and I never could tell if they were done or not because the recipe called for tomato paste and it made the meat look red even when done.
    Next time I would make very thin patties and cook them in the skillet. But because of the time it takes to prepare I will not make again. Not good for a quick show.

24. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I didn't like the Salisbury Steaks. They tasted like plain ground beef. Not very good.

25. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

I have a really good, quick, and easy recipe for Salisbury Steaks. When I looked at the PC recipe, I thought right away that the one I have looks better. I think it came from an old TOH magazine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.