• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ugh! Just Got Home From Show...

In summary, Anne had a show at her neighbor's across the street and it was chaotic. She forgot some of her planned activities and people were talking and carrying on. She did well in comparison to other shows she has done.
AJPratt
Silver Member
OK... Not many will get this, unless you're in the biz. So, my show is at my neighbor's across the street at 6:30pm. I figure the last time she had a show people got there early and I was still setting up. So this year, I went over at 5:15 just to set up and I would go back over in a little bit. Well, sure enough, as I am walking over, these two women show up. Please don't get me wrong, I love my customers BUT... they were going through my stuff and moving it around and walking around with it. They had the little dog on my table. They were just clueless about food handling. I was trying to be polite but all I could think of was when was the last time you washed your figgan hands??? As I lay an item down, they moved it to look at it, they set their drinks on my table. UGH! I felt I had a strong open, but the guys were behind me talking and people were getting distracted. I completely blanked with all of the stuff I memorized from Belinda. I looked at my index cards and was able to get back on track, but I think I need to better plan my outline. It was soo hot in there and I was so sweaty. One woman left her drink on my table, behind my computer, and I didn't even know it, but I moved my computer, I spilled it all over my neighbor. AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! I forgot to APCS the apples until the demo started... I doubled the recipe and had people help me and we had to fdo all 12 with people sitting there watching, and I tried to fill the time bt I felt like an idiot. And the guy had a tough time with the APCS... so that didn't go over very well.

QUESTION 1: So, how do you collect yourself mentally after you get thrown off? Like in the very beginning like I did?

Anyway, the show is at $620, with more orders to come, I have one lady I have to call about a show... she left early. One who will do one, once she paints her foyer, whenever that is... There were about 14 people there and it was mayhem! I completely forgot about Got It Love It. I was counting on several bookings.

QUESTION 2: How do you handle a large crowd? With games or whatever?

I did get a lot of compliments, but felt they were just being nice.

Thanks for reading this long one!

Last edited:
I've found when thrown that taking a minute or two to collect myself before going on helps. A few deap breaths go a long way. A quick mental regroup of "well tonight is not going to go as planned and that is ok" helps.

OMGosh Anne this very thing happened to me on Saturday!!! There were people all over the place, the show did not start on time with people in and out for the first 30 mins of the show and I felt frazzled. I don't do index cards but I should after this. I would like to know also how do you get yourself back together and back on track??? I didn't go over half the stuff I had planned and by the end I was just glad I hadn't had a melt down. My show is only at $300 so kudos to your sales so far. I've never had a show like this before and I never want one again, so any advice is well appreciated.

I have had a few shows like this too. I just try to do the best I can & get it over with! I usually have poor bookings at these shows too. Maybe if you know in advance the crowd will be loud, have it be an interactive show or something. It is supposed to be a party, so I guess you can't really yell at the people to shut up & sit down (although I'd LOVE to be able to do that for some people!).

That Director in the post about doing shows at Cluster would have a field day with their food handling!!!

You must have recovered well to have that total and so many follow-ups to do!

I did a Garden Show there was 80 plus the hubands so it was real big! they were talking and carrying on BUT! my host help me. she told them to stop talking and to watch me :).. and when they would talk she would say lady please........ so she was a big help to me. and she help me with my demo. so I had over 100 guest and sole over 1200 that nite! it was great! so I think the host sould help also.

pamperedgirl3 said:
I have had a few shows like this too. I just try to do the best I can & get it over with! I usually have poor bookings at these shows too. Maybe if you know in advance the crowd will be loud, have it be an interactive show or something. It is supposed to be a party, so I guess you can't really yell at the people to shut up & sit down (although I'd LOVE to be able to do that for some people!).

I just go with it. If they seem more interested in being together, I say that "for those interested" I'm going to prepare the recipe here. If you want to watch please come sit up close. If I mess up, my embarassment propels my. Can be quite funny. I don't tend tyo be a game player but I will play the ticket game. good luck

Kudos to you Anne for making it through! Mine last Friday was like that, I just almost lost it. If it wasn't for my friend helping me with the dough that wouldn't stretch, I don't know what I would have done.

At that point I'd lost the group. So we hurried up, got it in the oven, I told them I wanted to tell them a few more things to give them a last chance to earn Pampered Poker points and my friend got me some punch! (Yes it was spiked but a small glass!).

I think we all have those times. You just have to hang tough!

Anne, you should know by now that EVERYONE has shows like this. You should count your lucky stars that you get bookings. I have had 3 show like this (my SIL is Filipino and 2 of her friends that booked shows from me) TOTAL MAYHEM! At the last show I just gave up....nobody was listening to me, complaining about $4 s/h, stacking orders on other people's order so they wouldn't have to pay s/h. Then having to quickly, quietly pack up and leave while the host held her rosary prayer ceremony (and that happened to me twice). This is the Reader's Digest version. I told my SIL if anyone booked a show from that one (which nobody did THANKFULLY), I would just show up with catalogs and order forms and let them go about their business. The funny thing is that these shows were actually amongst my highest ranking shows. Go figure!

As far as your games go...I wouldn't worry about it. If they are enjoying the get together and not paying attention then look at it this way...more door prizes for your shows to come. :D

Anne, you must have recovered better than you thought; you have good sales & a couple bookings! I'd say it was a success:)
Those kind of shows are frustrating. Sometimes I think people just come to socialize & don't give a hoot about what I'm doing! Luckily I haven't had too many of these. If I get thrown off, I will just take a moment, maybe act like I'm checking my recipe. Or I'll ask people to start talking about their favorite products; to keep them talking, but to reverse the subject back to PC. Or, I'll say "maybe you were wondering why Susie Q invited you to the show today?" and then go into the host & booking benefits...
Let's hope your bookings you got won't be as crazy! Hopefully they'll add some different people to the mix that will tame the others down!

Index Cards ( ? )oki have thought about using index cards but i was never sure about what to put on them do you do them roduct specifics or do you go by what clever lines you would like to say and like practicial uses ?
any help would be apperciated !:)

sometimes it just happensThat you are all out of control. Just pass it off, make a joke of it, and go on.

I will tell you this however. I have had numerous complements that I don't follow a "script" or use notes during my demo. Everyone has always told me that they like the fact that I'm laid back and not so worried about what my exact words will be with the show. I like the fact that people feel relaxed and at ease at my shows.

With that being said....I think there are many consultants that get upset that they have "lost control" of the crowd. My opionion is....who cares....if they are having fun, that's all that matters. And the bottom line is, you are not going to "force" someone to have a show. If they are having a good time, and you are laid back and easy going....then they will have a show if they are interested. Having an attentive audience isn't going to make or break your bookings...it's the "fun factor" that is.

As far as games go....I don't do them. I tried Queen of the shoppers a bunch of times, and it went over ok, but not great. So I decided.....no games. I'd rather make my show fun and easy going for my guests and hosts instead.

I agree with Liz, but then I usually just wing it. I want people to feel like I am having fun also. But I will tell you ann, when I start sweating around the collar, shows used to go downhill quick! I hate when I get over heated!!!
So, now if I feel like I am losing the crowd and I am starting to get frustrated I just sit, in the first empty space I can find and start chatting with whoever is there. Someone always starts looking for me and I just say You were all having so much fun I figured I would wait abit till you all were ready.
I also don't do a big demo. I will show or have the guests show 1 or 2 tools and will measure and do the lame stuff on my own when I fuirst get there. I also ALWAYS ask for help. ALWAYS.
I do play the ticket game. I tell them it is my one dumb game and to please come humor me and I promise I have good presents.
everone always gets something, even if it is just Candy!
Hope that helps.
***The one thing I try to remember that I heard way back when I first started is, it is about them. If they don't want to watch and listen. Oh well, have private conversations and do big mac calls. That will help your bookings too.***

Anne, I feel your pain! I've been there - and I know I have a show in two weeks where I will be visiting that place named Chaos again! I totally wrote out my Opening and Closing, and have practiced & practiced them until they sound totally natural (not scripted) - I still take them w/ tho - just in case I have one of those times where I get totally thrown off track! And I know I will - I can't totally control the environment. A couple things I have done, and they aren't really games, just things to make the show fun - First, I throw out chocolate (I'll attach me opening script, so you can see how I do this!), and second, I do introductions while the demo recipe is in the oven/micro. They aren't really introductions tho' because I have been doing nametags and introducing myself to people when they arrive (I write their name on the tag - and wear one myself) So while the recipe is cooking - I have everyone tell me which PC product is their favorite , and one way they use it, and for those who are PC virgins - tell me which product you have seen tonight that you most want! The rules are - that a product can't be repeated, and that you can't mention the mini serv. spatula, the quik kut, or the citrus peeler!:rolleyes: And if you give us a good tip - I'll throw you more chocolate!With all of that said - I think sometimes we just have to go with the flow.....I have actually had emails from guests at shows apologizing for others behavior at a show they attended! So, I think that those who want to listen, do (or try to) and realize that it's not your fault if some are rude and out of control!

Attachments

• show script.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Pampered_Princess said:
oki have thought about using index cards but i was never sure about what to put on them do you do them roduct specifics or do you go by what clever lines you would like to say and like practicial uses ?
any help would be apperciated !:)
I never did use cards before, but I just recently bought the Belinda Ellsworth stuff and pretty much can recite it with ease, and its sounds pretty natural. I have the whole script on the cards, but some parts bolded, just in case I glance down and need a reminder of what the say next. For example:

OPENING: Hi, I’m Anne and I’m going to be your consultant today. Quick show of hands… How many of you have NEVER been to a PC cooking show before? Great! My company told me there weren’t that many Consultants in the area and I’m so glad to see that.

Let me tell you what ladies you are in for a special treat today. We’re gonna teach you how to bring fun back into your kitchen, we’re gonna teach you some great recipes you can make for your family in under 20 minutes, as a matter of fact, you’re gonna fall in love with so many of our wonderful products your biggest dilemma today is going to be which ones to choose and when you find yourself in that situation the very best way to take care of that is by having your own show and walking away with some of those items absolutely free. We find that half of the people in the audience wind up dating their own show. So with that, let’s take a moment to get acquainted.

Thanks for all of your great advice! I think the next time I do a show for her, I will just bring a recipe already done and set out some items.

The husband said that he was so surprised at how much better my demo is than the last time. When I did their show last year, I had only done about 6 shows. So, that was really nice.

Koolotus: You are right. I do feel that if they have a good time, than I have done my job, but I always feel bad that I didn't mention something that could have really benefitted someone.

Becky: Thanks for that! I feel like I keep trying to invent the wheel with my show outline, but I just don't feel like I quite have "the flow" quite right. I do have a show Sunday that I know won't be as crazy. Trying to do the Belinda Booking talk "with 7 or 8 friends, just like we have here..." was impossible. LOL

Thank you both for the scripts.

Ann, maybe next year with this same group do a sip & dip that is more social and talk about the new products that have come out since last year?

That's a great idea... I don't think they need or want a real demo. Alll of them expect for 2 had been to shows before.

Wow
AJPratt said:
That's a great idea... I don't think they need or want a real demo. Alll of them expect for 2 had been to shows before.

That's usually what happens to me in a big crowd. Only a few have not been to a show and I usually try to bring recipes already done from home for a large crowd and then just demo the products (slice potatoes with Ultimate Mandolin, chop onion with food chopper, squeeze garlic in the press, slice stuff with the knives, etc)
It can get crazy but I usually yell out that if they are paying attention they will be able to win some neat prizes. I usually play a game to make them find the products I am talking about in the catalog.
I will say "Ok now find the what page the Ultimate Mandolin is on!" And I use those 10 seconds to tell them a little about the 3 year warranty, it's dishwasher safe, and some uses for it.
The winner gets a hershey's kiss thrown at them and the winner has the most kisses. They get a prize.
I play another game related to the host benefits. I ask them to turn to page 47 and to answer my questions.
Question: "Ok let's say I want that Ultimate mandolin FREE! IT's $59.50 how much would I have to sell at my show to get it FREE?"
Answer: "$400
Question: "Ok how much would I have to sell at my show to get three half price items, and $140 in FREE stuff??"
Did you know that this month's host special is _____ for 60% off? This is a great time to book a show!!
I tell them to feel free to come and play with my products and then we serve some food. I tell them I am available for questions or to show them how everything works if they need me. I help serve and then I sit amongst them and hang out.
Considering all that happened Anne, you did a great job with those sales!! Keep up the good work!! Maybe we should bring a big can of Lysol and spray stuff when people touch it. You think they will get offended??? LOL LOL :D
Debbie :D :D :D

Thanks, Debbie! Those are great-- I should do those anyway!

There are just things that really, really bother me. The whole touching-my-products-before-I-use-them thing just kills me. If they are out on a coffee table on display, or I pass them around, or I'm done with them, they are fair game. My mom was a baker who did wedding cakes out of her home and cleanliness was not negotiable. I am talking hair nets going into the kitchen, touch your face, your clothes, the dog (or anything else), and then wash hands before touching food. I probably wash my hands a dozen times in the morning. Some may call me a germ-a-phobe, but's how I was raised.

Germ-a-phobe here also!!I am the same way. I secretly keep Lysol sanitizing wipes in my pocket and I wipe things off when people are done touching them.
If they make a remark or commnt about the fact they don't have germs or is that a hint? (which is usually done in a playful manner)
I tell them that I have to wipe down the products before I use them so I can be clean and ready to prepare their food or that local news team might come and raid my show and give me a very low score on my food preparation.
They usually laugh and don't get offended. I always wear gloves when I cook for people I don't know very well.
Close friends and family I don't use gloves. But I do not lick my fingers or wipe my nose or anything. YUCK!!:eek:

Debbie

10 years of 4-H foods taught me well. I also wash my hands frequently when preparing food, and I don't like people touching my tools before I make something. (Not much of an issue now that I do mostly "a walk through the catalog" shows.)

When I get to a show I wash my hands before unpacking, and I wash them again before setting out my food. People can think what they want, but cleanliness is not optional. Period.

What is a walk through the catalog show?? Do you make a recipe?

What is the Belinda Ellsworth stuff?

angelkatey said:
What is the Belinda Ellsworth stuff?

THere's threads started about her.....try the one titled "success express", or step into success.
She is an awesome lady; she did a class at conference & is very motivational.

That's some good stuff Anne! I can't wait until it feels more natural!

Let me preface this by saying that I've never done a show w/out "technical difficulities". Around here, I'm known for it.
It's a huge joke at all of my shows with my "groupies" when they warn the "newbies"
not to sit in my "SPLASH ZONE". :p
LOL
Seriously.
I've knocked an entire can of melted frosting all over the host's kitchen floor, oven, microwave, and backsplash - in one fell swoop.

I've pulled an oven door right off it's hinges.

I've dumped an entire batch of sliced/cored/peeled apples right on to the floor.

I've put sugar in the Lemon Chicken Pasta Toss instead of salt.

Yes ma'am. I've done it all.
And they still come back for more. :eek:
And... I *always* use my clutzy-ness as a recruiting sprinkle.
"see they let anyone do this job..."
"I begin each show by renewing my own employment contract with my boss...myself"
"Good thing The Pampered Chef covers my liability insurance for up to $1mil..."
"This is why I don't sell vacuum cleaners or wine or candles"

I know your post isnt' about you being clumsy... LOL but the point is the same. You can make a joke out of it, and they'll love you for it.
When things go WRONG, it turns out to usually be my best show for bookings/sales. I think it honestly relaxes people to see me royally screw up. I've had 13 recruits in 8.5 months, and I truly think it's because most of them think "if SHE can do this successfully, I KNOW I could..." LOL
Fine with me!

During my demos when I'm having ... "issues"... I'll tell 'em:
"this is a live cooking show, people. I gave my technical editors the night off, so you're gonna have to bear with me during our "commercial break". LOL
They get a kick out of it and usually comment about how "calm cool and collected" I am.
What they don't know won't hurt 'em, right? :D

I know this is going to sound weird, but I take my recruiter or my director with me to as many of my shows as possible. I started not too long after my recruiter and we are good friends so anytime she can come with me I bring her. I find that having that back-up there and support helps TREMENDOUSLY!! Plus I always seem to remember things better when she's sitting right there and I can kind of look at her and go, Oh, duh! Then she can help me with my orders and set up and take down too. Its awesome. We both help each other out. I go to her shows with her too. I honestly think that a two woman consultant team should be an option when signing up (versus both women having to sign a contract). I think it works great. Much less stressful for me. I mean, the pressure's there to remember things, but its a good pressure when someone that you know is the one responsible for it. Plus I love getting the feedback from her after a show. Maybe even if you couldn't have your recruiter or director go with you, you could find a friend that wouldn't mind tagging along. I ususally have two. My recruiter and my good friend that loves to go to my shows so she comes to everyone I have that she can make and just buys one or two things here and there. Its great!

~Kristen

Laura: WOW! That is a GREAT story! I do make it a point, if I'm extra clumsy in an evening to say, "If I goof up or do something stupid, go ahead and laugh, because no one laughs at me more than I do."

Kristen: I do have other cons who help me out and vice versa, but they weren't available. (sigh)

klsnyder said:
What is a walk through the catalog show?? Do you make a recipe?

I bring a recipe already made. The guests fill their plate before I start. My "demo" consists of going through the catalog page by page. (I lump the cookware pages together, the SA pages together, and the stoneware pages together, talking about the benefits of the groups instead of each page.)

As I go through we play the Have it! Love it! Got a question! Game. When I mention an item they love, the first person to yell, "Have it! Love it!" gets a candy. They then tell everyone what they love about that particular product. (I use dark Hershey kisses because few women can resist chocolate, and the antioxidents in the dark stuff are good for you.) They also get a candy if they ask a question. When we reach the end of the catalog the person with the most candies (or empty wrappers) gets a prize.

This works well for me for several reasons:

• Everyone has a chance to socialize before we get started. In most groups it cuts down on people talking during my demo. (Not always, but ususally.)
  • Getting food in their tummies seems to help most of my customers concentrate. They're listening to what I say instead of thinking, "Looks good. When do we eat?"
  • It gets most everyone involved. (BTW, this is one of the most common comments I receive.)
  • I get a chance to touch on more products.
  • They sell the products for me. Most of the people at my shows haven't laid eyes on me until that night. To them I'm just someone paid to sell the stuff. I have little credibility. However, when the woman sitting next to them, the woman they've known for 20 years, gone to church with, served on school committees with, etc., says she can't live without the micro-cooker, SHE'S got credibility.
  • This has the potential to be a quicker show. I say potential because I sometimes get a group that insists on talking about pretty much every product on every page. ("Hey, you didn't mention the mini-whipper. It's the best thing I've ever found for making chocolate milk.") Thankfully, this doesn't happen often, and, when it does, the crowd doesn't seem to mind.

I still do the occasional traditional cooking show, but most of my hosts like this style.

Rae: I have heard of people who do very well offering this kind of show. Do you do this for everyone, or just larger shows?

What kind of sales do you have for this kind of show? I've been wanting to go more towards no demo, but just haven't found the nerve yet!

Pampered Laura, good to know I am not the only one who is klutzy. I have come to expect something to go wrong at each of my shows. I strive for perfection , but....
I too have had mixed up recipes, forgetten an important tool, recipe has not come out anything like it was suppossed too, food on floor, etc. I use it as a recruiting tool, ( if I didn't I'd probabaly cry), and say something like, "if I can be successful at this anyone can be successful at this." I've just resigned myself that something will go wrong no matter how prepared I think I am or how many times I memorize something, I always forget to say something. I try to laugh it off and move on.

Anne, I have been there and just let it go. Last Thursday I had 3 guests, 2 dogs, 3 kids and a husband that didn't watch the kids well and my new recruit observing me. I did get 2 bookings.

Ann

I did a no demo show on Saturday for the first time and it ended up being an 800$ show so far. I felt kind of funny talking about the products without cooking anything but it must have worked since sales are good. I think I just need to figure out how to make it more fun.

I wouldn't mind bringing something and popping it in the oven. The thought of not bringing home dirties is a great one!

I am very interested in this idea but really scared that it would flop. Do you do it for most of your shows or just your 'seasoned' guests? Do you offer the guests a chance to actually get their hands on the products and use them?

Yes, we have all had those shows - I once had to do one in the 'kitchen/cafeteria' of a school for emotionally handicapped kids and I don't know who was more distracting the kids or their teachers. The host told me as I unpacked, "they are good kids and most of them we allow to use knives..." I felt like I'd run a marathon by the time I got home!

My best attention grabber is to tell them I need their help - "To keep you here as briefly as possible, I need your help tonight/today. You should know that my father had Alheimer's and I have two teenagers at home. I don't know which factor is killing my brain cells faster, but you have fair warning... I get excited sharing so many ways to save time, save money and make money... and sometimes I go down some simply wonderful Pampered Chef rabbit trails. When that happens, just remind me of what I was talking about when I left the trail, OK?" That always gets a good laugh and people do pay more attention, if only to get out on time... and paying attention does help us get out on time. <g>

jrstephens said:
That Director in the post about doing shows at Cluster would have a field day with their food handling!!!

You must have recovered well to have that total and so many follow-ups to do!

Touché I totally agree with you on this one!!!:D

AJPratt said:
Rae: I have heard of people who do very well offering this kind of show. Do you do this for everyone, or just larger shows?

I do this for all my shows, unless the host requests otherwise.

My show average went up about $45 when I started doing this, and my bookings have increased. Usually my shows hover around $500. I regularly have shows well over that amount, though. Since I live in a very frugal, rural area, I feel like my average is pretty good.

janel kelly said:
I did a no demo show on Saturday for the first time and it ended up being an 800$ show so far. I felt kind of funny talking about the products without cooking anything but it must have worked since sales are good. I think I just need to figure out how to make it more fun.

Janel, it does take a little getting used to, but I think it's worth it.

As to making it more fun, I get lots of laughs by sharing my kitchen mishaps with the various products. I'm sure you have funny stories attached to at least one or two of them. Share those. Encourage your guests to share them. Laughter releases endorphins, which makes people feel good, which makes them view you as even more likeable, which makes them love the products even more.

For example, this always gets a good laugh. (As a matter of fact, I now get requests for the story): I was explaining at a show that you can cook with the scrapers and they won't melt. My aunt was there. She pointed out that even though I said they wouldn't melt, when my cousin's house burned down, her's melted. My response was that, yes, in the 1200 degrees of a house fire, all your Pampered Chef stuff will be gone. However, they are heat safe to 650 degrees. :rolleyes:

Your family might not be as wacky as mine, but I'm sure you have stories to share.

raebates said:
I bring a recipe already made. The guests fill their plate before I start. My "demo" consists of going through the catalog page by page. (I lump the cookware pages together, the SA pages together, and the stoneware pages together, talking about the benefits of the groups instead of each page.)

As I go through we play the Have it! Love it! Got a question! Game. When I mention an item they love, the first person to yell, "Have it! Love it!" gets a candy. They then tell everyone what they love about that particular product. (I use dark Hershey kisses because few women can resist chocolate, and the antioxidents in the dark stuff are good for you.) They also get a candy if they ask a question. When we reach the end of the catalog the person with the most candies (or empty wrappers) gets a prize.

This works well for me for several reasons:

• Everyone has a chance to socialize before we get started. In most groups it cuts down on people talking during my demo. (Not always, but ususally.)
  • Getting food in their tummies seems to help most of my customers concentrate. They're listening to what I say instead of thinking, "Looks good. When do we eat?"
  • It gets most everyone involved. (BTW, this is one of the most common comments I receive.)
  • I get a chance to touch on more products.
  • They sell the products for me. Most of the people at my shows haven't laid eyes on me until that night. To them I'm just someone paid to sell the stuff. I have little credibility. However, when the woman sitting next to them, the woman they've known for 20 years, gone to church with, served on school committees with, etc., says she can't live without the micro-cooker, SHE'S got credibility.
  • This has the potential to be a quicker show. I say potential because I sometimes get a group that insists on talking about pretty much every product on every page. ("Hey, you didn't mention the mini-whipper. It's the best thing I've ever found for making chocolate milk.") Thankfully, this doesn't happen often, and, when it does, the crowd doesn't seem to mind.

I still do the occasional traditional cooking show, but most of my hosts like this style.

Rae,

Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinking about doing something like this, but haven't been too sure about it. I'm doing a show for a good friend this weekend so I may try it out with her.

A few questions though:

1) What kind of tools/products do you take with you?
2) Do you demo any of them? If so, which ones do you usually demo and how?
3) Do you feel like you are giving a lecture or does it seem to flow like a conversation?

I really like this idea, but I'm scared that I might be boring.

thanks!
Linda

Linda,I'm very anxious to see the answers to your questions. I've done about 6 shows for this one group of women. This would be something great to try on them.

pamperedlinda said:
1) What kind of tools/products do you take with you?
2) Do you demo any of them? If so, which ones do you usually demo and how?
3) Do you feel like you are giving a lecture or does it seem to flow like a conversation?

I really like this idea, but I'm scared that I might be boring.

thanks!
Linda

1. At a minimum I take my tool turnabout (lots of the little things need hands-on instruction), the current and next-month specials, a piece of stoneware, the ultimate mandoline, one of each type of knife, and at least one of the micro-cookers.

I usually take several other things--whatever catches my eye. I like to take lots of stuff because I believe that seeing and feeling the products helps them to sell. Having said that, I use my judgement. On Thursday I'll be doing a show in an upper apartment reached by a narrow staircase. I'll be taking the bare minimum to that show.

2. I hold many of the items as I talk about them, especially the micro-cooker. I always tell how to cook hamburger in it. I show them exactly how I would use it, sort of like pantomime but with my narration (if that makes any sense at all). Basically it's like a little commercial of each product I show which definitely is not every one of the things I bring.

3. Because I'm encouraging the guests to talk about the products as I name them, it really does flow more like conversation. Occasionally I feel a little like I'm giving a speech, especially on those first few pages with all new stuff. I think it helps, though. It gives everyone a few minutes to settle in before the competition begins. (Guests have to be the first to yell "Have it! Love it!" to get a candy. It's amazing how competitive women can get when chocolate is involved.:p )

Finally, I can't imagine that your show could be boring. They don't allow boring people to be a part of PC, do they? Besides, the guests are doing most of the work for you. No way all of them are boring.:rolleyes:

Rae,

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to give this format a whirl this weekend.

Linda

Do you buy the ingredients?When you do these walk through shows, do you buy the ingredients or does the host?

I just had to say something in response to this one. I too did a very large show this past week and it was difficult to get everyone wrangled in so to speak. I just let them talk (mainly because they were talking about product and how much they loved the pieces they had). THe people who were listening I directed my demo too them. My biggest problem was that i didn't completley read through my recipe and had to adapt it for the oven and not the microwave on the spot. But I did and it came out really good and everyone loved it. Closed my show on Friday and it was over a $1000!!

Okay, so this afternoon I tried out Rae's Walk Through the Catalog show. I have to say that I liked it. We played the Got It/Love It/Got a Question game as we went through the catalog. It felt a little odd at first since the first several pages are new products that no one yet had, but once we got into the meatier sections of the catalog it went pretty well. There were about 15 people at this show and it took us about an hour to go through the catalog. Must have been great because orders are sitting at $1065 and she still has about 5 or 6 more to collect. I'm trying this again on my Tuesday show so hopefully it will be a little more smooth.

pamperedlinda said:
Okay, so this afternoon I tried out Rae's Walk Through the Catalog show. I have to say that I liked it. We played the Got It/Love It/Got a Question game as we went through the catalog. It felt a little odd at first since the first several pages are new products that no one yet had, but once we got into the meatier sections of the catalog it went pretty well. There were about 15 people at this show and it took us about an hour to go through the catalog. Must have been great because orders are sitting at $1065 and she still has about 5 or 6 more to collect. I'm trying this again on my Tuesday show so hopefully it will be a little more smooth.

That is great Linda. Thanks for letting us know how it went.

klsnyder said:
When you do these walk through shows, do you buy the ingredients or does the host?

I buy the ingredients and use it as a tax deduction. I usually choose one or two recipes and make those all month. This way I can buy most of the ingredients in larger sizes, so it keeps the cost down.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Alicia Denman
Replies