• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seeking Guidance and Encouragement: My Issues with My Director

In summary, the main issue of the conversation is dealing with a director who discourages the speaker from achieving success with their Pampered Chef business and puts them down for being a straight man. The speaker was encouraged to go inactive for 12 months and then restart with a new kit and $0 lifetime sales, or get a hospitality director for motivation. It was also suggested to prove the director wrong by promoting above her and going to the National Conference. Finally, it was recommended to call Head Quarters and tell them the story so they can consider getting a new director.
BethCooks4U said:
As a hospitality director with 2 that are not in my downline, I LOVE having them here! One of their directors has sent me reimbersement but the other won't even share her recruit's stats with me. The world is full of different people.
That's weird that the one won't even share her stats. :confused: What's up with that? I love the hospitality directors a couple of my consultants have. The include them as if they were their own and I think that's great! I do reimburse them for expenses and stuff like that because those little gifts and incentives do add up! That's just bizarre to me that the one director won't share stats. Does she bring her own to meetings or how do you include her in the recognition?

pamperedbecky said:
That's weird that the one won't even share her stats. :confused: What's up with that? I love the hospitality directors a couple of my consultants have. The include them as if they were their own and I think that's great! I do reimburse them for expenses and stuff like that because those little gifts and incentives do add up! That's just bizarre to me that the one director won't share stats. Does she bring her own to meetings or how do you include her in the recognition?
She (the director) felt that the consultant should only come to the meeting for the in person training and that the director would give her the recognition in her own way. I give her stand up recognition (yes, she tells me what she did) and even give her some rewards on my own. That director has been very nasty and very mean when I asked for the stats. Even said that if I gave her anything she would "report me" to HO. I called HO and discussed the situation with my sales manager in Chicago and she agreed that I handled it correctly and that she couldn't see how I could get in trouble for being generous.

I think the director was threatened. The consultant has said that she wishes she could be on my team but even if she told her director that she (the director) should KNOW that it is not allowed. Oh well! I still treat her like my own and she just doesn't tell her director if I give her something.

Evelynt said:
I had a Director recruit my step-sister knowing that she had a sister who was a Director in another state (me in Colorado).
My Exec told me that my step sister could contact the HO and request to be reassigned.
Maybe you could do the same.
It's too bad for her. I'd LOVE to have someone like you on my team!!!
That has to be done immediately after submitting the agreement. They won't do it later and all concerned have to send in the request. I don't think that will be allowed in this case. HO is very particular about what grounds they would do that for.

My 2 cents - I am gay and I so do not see me advancing up the line. I do this part-time and primarily for fun. Would it be nice, yeah. But I am not expecting it. Your close-minded director needs a huge wake-up call. I agree with everyone else - show her that you can do this! The sweetest reward would be for you to advance further than she is.

BethCooks4U said:
She (the director) felt that the consultant should only come to the meeting for the in person training and that the director would give her the recognition in her own way. I give her stand up recognition (yes, she tells me what she did) and even give her some rewards on my own. That director has been very nasty and very mean when I asked for the stats. Even said that if I gave her anything she would "report me" to HO. I called HO and discussed the situation with my sales manager in Chicago and she agreed that I handled it correctly and that she couldn't see how I could get in trouble for being generous.

I think the director was threatened. The consultant has said that she wishes she could be on my team but even if she told her director that she (the director) should KNOW that it is not allowed. Oh well! I still treat her like my own and she just doesn't tell her director if I give her something.
Wow, some people!!:confused: I guess not everyone is of the mind that we're all in this together and we're one big family. This sounds familiar, so I wonder if you've posted about this particular director in the past. If not, I think someone else was saying something like this. Oh well. That's nice that you still include her in everything and that she feels so comfortable with you. I'm sure it's really helpful to her business.:)

Beth- maybe if she is comfortable she could share her CC password so you could check her IPT. I think it would be sad for her to have to tell you what to recognize her for.

gilliandanielle said:
Beth- maybe if she is comfortable she could share her CC password so you could check her IPT. I think it would be sad for her to have to tell you what to recognize her for.
Hey! I never thought of that! I will have to discuss that with her. I would love not to have to ask her every month + I'm sure she forgets things sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion!

This sounds familiar, so I wonder if you've posted about this particular director in the past. If not, I think someone else was saying something like this.
It probably was me. It was very stressful when she was saying all those things so I probably did vent! - That was easily a year ago - good memory!

BethCooks4U said:
It probably was me. It was very stressful when she was saying all those things so I probably did vent! - That was easily a year ago - good memory!
I thought so....yes, I spend way too much time on here some days! :) It's good to know my memory sometimes works!!!:eek:

jasonmva said:
My 2 cents - I am gay and I so do not see me advancing up the line. I do this part-time and primarily for fun. Would it be nice, yeah. But I am not expecting it. Your close-minded director needs a huge wake-up call. I agree with everyone else - show her that you can do this! The sweetest reward would be for you to advance further than she is.
EXCUSE ME?!?!:eek:

Why do you not see yourself advancing up the line because you are gay? What does that have to do with it? Do you have fun doing it? Do you have a passion for PC? If so, you can do whatever you set your mind to! Society puts enough mind-blocks in our way - don't do it to yourself!

Have faith!

BethCooks4U said:
EXCUSE ME?!?!:eek:

Why do you not see yourself advancing up the line because you are gay? What does that have to do with it? Do you have fun doing it? Do you have a passion for PC? If so, you can do whatever you set your mind to! Society puts enough mind-blocks in our way - don't do it to yourself!

Have faith!

I don't think he was saying he wouldn't advance because he's gay. I think he was addressing the director's assumption that only gay men can advance. I thought he was saying he didn't see himself advancing because he chooses to do this part time. Could be wrong, though.

raebates said:
I don't think he was saying he wouldn't advance because he's gay. I think he was addressing the director's assumption that only gay men can advance. I thought he was saying he didn't see himself advancing because he chooses to do this part time. Could be wrong, though.

Sorry for the confusion Beth - Rae is right. Maybe later on down the line I would like to advance but right now I am confortable doing my 1-2 shows a month. Yeah I miss out on some of the consultant specials because my shows are not very high, but they are getting there.

The old addage is true - You can accomplish whatever you set your mind to.

Eric - I say take this challange and run with it. I think us guys (gay or straight) have a huge advantage in this company. Honestly, who ever would have thought that any guy would want to be selling cooking supplies.

gilliandanielle said:

My Hospitality Director is AWESOME!! She treats me just like the consultants she has recruited and is that way for everyone. At meetings I can honestly say I have no idea which ones are her own recruits!! And she does recognize me and has given me little goodies before.

My director doesn't send my stats to her. My hosp. has asked me if I can just e-mail the page from my PP reports, the Sales Diary for my submitted shows. It shows the number of guest, bookings, sales, show type, and recruit leads.

When you click in Reports on the sales diary at the bottom you can choose the output type. Just click the e-mail instead of the normal print option.

Does this ring a bell! Finally after being in PC for 6 years...my upline Ex. Director is my direct upline director.
The person I recruited under left the company about 3 years ago. All was well until I started having stats like hers. Then I started recruiting and over some small fundraiser (profit of less than $20)...she got mad at me. I tried so hard to talk it over and do what I could to smooth it out. Finally, I just decided to hell with her. The sticky part was, the director we shared was related to my recruiter. Guess who the director stuck up for? We muddled through it and things went better eventually. My recruiter dropped out of PC. Last year our shared director left PC.
Here is my advice from the School of Hard Knocks...
1. DO NOT quit!!!
2. As others have said...shoot for the stars.
3. Compete with your own stats from month to month, year to year.
4. Find out who your upline is and call them. Do not complain to your upline about your director, just ask questions and develop a relationship with him or her.
5. Reach out to other successful consultants on your team if you can.
6. I belong to Belinda Ellsworth's Step Into Success. She has trained me more than anyone other than my Ex. Director. Belinda would say too, to not focus on your director if you are not happy...focus on your goals and your passion! And listen to training CD's.
7. Look to the wonderful people and resources on this loop. Next to Belinda and my Ex. Dir. this website has given me more ideas and inspiration!

Just remember that the sweetest reward will be your own success. Turn your frustration into determination and run with it!

I started my own meetings about 3 years ago. Last night I had the most fun meeting with 10 consultants, 1 potential consultant and 1 hospitality. We had a Caribbean theme and I went ALL out!! It was a blast! I have 2 future directors and I am thinking that next month I will have 2 more NEW future directors!!!! I shudder to think of what would have happened if I hadn't reached out.

Eric, I noticed you said that you just felt so comfortable with PC, that you want to be successful and that you don't want to lose that recruit. Those are such key traits to have so focus hard on your goals.

That beautiful boy in your picture is around 2? Just think of what he has mastered in his 2 years!! Just like him, we all started out with PC not knowing what to make of this world!! And now look at what all he can do! He's walking, talking, feeding himself (ok...still a little messy but what the heck!), probably starting to potty train and most importantly...he has already learned what buttons to push with Mom and Dad!!!:eek: With your PC business, you are already forming a team and you know what you want...just like your son, don't let set backs hold you down!

The remark that was made by your director was not professional at all. Besides, look at all of the successful straight chefs just on tv!!! In addition, sexual orientation, race, color or religion has nothing to do with one's success. It's the level of excitement, ambition and motivation that determines our success!

Hope I am there to see you walk the stage someday soon as a Director!! I chose to remember those times that were not so enjoyable and make sure I do not treat my team like that. That is what she is teaching you...how NOT to act!

Ann

Fantastic advice Ann! Thanks. You are an inspiration to us as well as to your team. No wonder you and your team are succeeding!

baychef said:
Does this ring a bell! Finally after being in PC for 6 years...my upline Ex. Director is my direct upline director.
The person I recruited under left the company about 3 years ago. All was well until I started having stats like hers. Then I started recruiting and over some small fundraiser (profit of less than $20)...she got mad at me. I tried so hard to talk it over and do what I could to smooth it out. Finally, I just decided to hell with her. The sticky part was, the director we shared was related to my recruiter. Guess who the director stuck up for? We muddled through it and things went better eventually. My recruiter dropped out of PC. Last year our shared director left PC.
Here is my advice from the School of Hard Knocks...
1. DO NOT quit!!!
2. As others have said...shoot for the stars.
3. Compete with your own stats from month to month, year to year.
4. Find out who your upline is and call them. Do not complain to your upline about your director, just ask questions and develop a relationship with him or her.
5. Reach out to other successful consultants on your team if you can.
6. I belong to Belinda Ellsworth's Step Into Success. She has trained me more than anyone other than my Ex. Director. Belinda would say too, to not focus on your director if you are not happy...focus on your goals and your passion! And listen to training CD's.
7. Look to the wonderful people and resources on this loop. Next to Belinda and my Ex. Dir. this website has given me more ideas and inspiration!

Just remember that the sweetest reward will be your own success. Turn your frustration into determination and run with it!

I started my own meetings about 3 years ago. Last night I had the most fun meeting with 10 consultants, 1 potential consultant and 1 hospitality. We had a Caribbean theme and I went ALL out!! It was a blast! I have 2 future directors and I am thinking that next month I will have 2 more NEW future directors!!!! I shudder to think of what would have happened if I hadn't reached out.

Eric, I noticed you said that you just felt so comfortable with PC, that you want to be successful and that you don't want to lose that recruit. Those are such key traits to have so focus hard on your goals.

That beautiful boy in your picture is around 2? Just think of what he has mastered in his 2 years!! Just like him, we all started out with PC not knowing what to make of this world!! And now look at what all he can do! He's walking, talking, feeding himself (ok...still a little messy but what the heck!), probably starting to potty train and most importantly...he has already learned what buttons to push with Mom and Dad!!!:eek: With your PC business, you are already forming a team and you know what you want...just like your son, don't let set backs hold you down!

The remark that was made by your director was not professional at all. Besides, look at all of the successful straight chefs just on tv!!! In addition, sexual orientation, race, color or religion has nothing to do with one's success. It's the level of excitement, ambition and motivation that determines our success!

Hope I am there to see you walk the stage someday soon as a Director!! I chose to remember those times that were not so enjoyable and make sure I do not treat my team like that. That is what she is teaching you...how NOT to act!

Ann

NOW THAT'S INSPIRATION!!!! :)

Thank you...sometimes the school of hard knocks teaches the best lessons! Rising above the "negative encounters" is not easy as we all know, but is worth the trip when we get there!!
Ann

What a crock of @#*!
We have some very successful MALE DIRECTORS here in Canada! Straight as a ruler!! They support their wives and kids with their PC biz!
What a stupid thing for your Director to say! You will do great! Just forget what she said and see if you can get the support you need from your Directors upline! Find out who your Director's upline is and ask them to take over your training and support. You are technically still part of their cluster!
Let the upline director know why you have been discouraged.

Good luck! And BTW.... very sweet baby!

WOW!!!!!! Now that is what I call inspiration. You guys on this forum have made me want to prove to her that I CAN DO IT. With the help from the people on this forum and by the way I will be joining a cluster near Lansing, as a hospitility cluster. Thats okay that my director will see my stats, because I want her to see how well I am doing. These stories of inspiration are giving me the desire to SHOOT FOR THE STARS......

You All are so awsome on this site. I am going to call my recruit tomorrow and encourage her to join this site too, as she will get loads of information.

Again, I cant thank you enough for your support and feedback. And everyone that commented on my baby I appreciate it, HE LOOKS JUST LIKE ME......

Well I gotta go for now, Thanks and Talk Soon

Eric

Woo hoo! Whose cluster are you joining?

I say that your director is crazy! If I were her, straight OR gay....if they have the ambition that you do......I'd love to have them on my team! The sexual preference of a person doesn't make a person weak, it's directors like that that do! Don't let her make you weak. Rise above her and show her that you CAN be a straight guy in this company and climb the ladder.....just a as good as a woman can! I love the pic of the baby. Cute! I have 4 kids and that's why I love my business!
Take care and good luck! You'll love this site....good support!

Jennifer,

I am joining the same cluster that Sally Wilhite belongs to, She is from East Lansing. I am so excited, she will be calling me next week to work out the details. And thanks Sally for letting me join your guys' cluster. Well I should be going for now. I will update my sons picture so you can see what he looks like now. He is my pride and joy.

Talk Soon,
Eric

Awesome. My hospitality director (whose meetings I haven't gotten to attend yet) is in Haslett. Just wondered if were were going to end up in the same meetings. :)

ericmcbean said:
WOW!!!!!! Now that is what I call inspiration. You guys on this forum have made me want to prove to her that I CAN DO IT. With the help from the people on this forum and by the way I will be joining a cluster near Lansing, as a hospitility cluster. Thats okay that my director will see my stats, because I want her to see how well I am doing. These stories of inspiration are giving me the desire to SHOOT FOR THE STARS......

You All are so awsome on this site. I am going to call my recruit tomorrow and encourage her to join this site too, as she will get loads of information.

Again, I cant thank you enough for your support and feedback. And everyone that commented on my baby I appreciate it, HE LOOKS JUST LIKE ME......

Well I gotta go for now, Thanks and Talk Soon

Eric

:D RIGHT ON ERIC!!! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TOO!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has different motivations for making it big, is it wrong if yours is SPITE? As long as it gets you there, who cares how you were motivated?

Also, if your director ever goes past her 3 months of relinquishment, she'll lose you as a director in her downline.

Lastly, maybe she didn't try to be mean, maybe she's just bad with conversations and it came out all wrong. Maybe if you call her and tell her the areas you need help, she'd be very motivating and have helpful ideas.

ericmcbean said:
Everyone, Thanks for the support. I would talk to my upline director and talk with her, however, I do not know who she is. I was told that she lives in Detroit somewhere. Any advice on how to locate her.

I am in the Kimmel Cluster in SE Lower Michigan. If by some chance your director is under Maureen (which I can't believe since I think I know all of them and they are all hard working, great people) you need to come to Maureen's meetings. She is awesome. Hands on, motivating (way way motivating) and she would welcome you. She's in S Lyon. Even if your director's not under Maureen, you are still welcome.

We just had a training on Monday with all the new stuff, and made the rum cake, the triffle, jerk chicken salad, the wontons (which were AMAZING), the shrimp cup things, and the meat filled pastries. It was a major food fest!

Hang in there and work YOUR business.

I have tried to call her, As my wife said she is just rude and self-centered. I am pretty much done with my director, I dont have to communicate with her. I am going to do my best without her. I am sure this new cluster that I am joining will be great motivation, and I have this forum, and the most motivation I have is from my wife and kids. My director can surely hold her own, she is doing just find without me. Well I will talk with you later.

Eric

You go, Eric!! Spite was not my true motivation. I was trying to do what PC wants us to do and was actually being shunned by my recruiter (and some by my former director)for actually being successful. If spite was a motivator, we too would fall by the way side. I love PC, I love the products, etc., etc.....I was looking for the same thing Eric and all of us look for...encouragement. It's like trying to lose weight for someone other than yourself! It may work for a little while, but your success rate is lower.
I am the Queen of putting my foot in my mouth:eek: but if I say something stupid or unprofessional and it was uncalled for, like this comment...I am the first to apologize and try to set things in a new and positive direction. We are all human. We say and do stupid things even when our intentions are innocent but Eric sounds like a level headed person. He is hopeful and he gets "the big picture" of the wonderful things a successful PC business can bring to our lives. Comments such as he has received without a retraction or acknowledgement of even a slight amount of regret can set us back in our business. We expect that customers may let us down and not be happy with us but not our upline. Upline is one of our lifelines to success. They are our soft place to land and our kind but gentle kick in the butt when we need it.
You go for it Eric!! I am sure many of us would love to welcome someone like you as a hospitality team member.
Ann

GO ERIC GO!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! NEVER GIVE UP Prove her wrong!

You'll do GREAT!!!!!

This is a picture of my little one. This was taken on his 1 year old birthday, we were at Bavarian Inn, Frankenmuth

What a cutie!!!:)

Hi Eric!

My Director has a married man in her downline who is considering (I am rather sure) going to National Conference. I think we woman draw the line at sharing hotel rooms with men other than our family members so please let me know if you are considering going yourself. That way you would have someone to room with and you could hang out with our team. We are in Wave 1.

Lisa

Lisa,

I am still undecided, I will let you know if I am going or not. I am going to talk it over with my wife. This would be my first year going (If I do decide to go). I will let you know what we decide.

What a cutie he is (your son I mean!:D ) Makes me want to just reach inside the computer and give him a squeeze!

LOL, My wife and I thanks you.....

good eric
Iam so happy for you! since I join this website. it's like one big happy family!
everyone wants to help. and I like that. good luck and keep us posted okay.
Darlene from Ca,

Take A Stand So Others Won't Be Subject To This!Eric: I know I am a little late in joining this discussion. I am normally not one to tell anyone what to do but I beg you: YOU MUST CALL THE HOME OFFICE ABOUT THIS: YOUR DESCRIMINATION AND SEXUAL HARRASSMENT! Descrimination and sexual harrassment come in many forms. I don't know what the resolution will be, but they cannot expect you to work with someone who is treating you like this, and especially not get rewarded for this behavior. That is completely unacceptable.

Let's face it, we all have different personalities and senses of humor and we can say things that are offensive without meaning to be, but what you are talking about goes WAY beyond that.

I am thrilled for you that you are joining a great cluster, but DO NOT let this person get away with this.

I have a straight, married male on my team and I fully expect him to succeed in whatever way his goals are, whether it be 1 show every 2 months or to become a NSED. I will support whatever he decides is success for him.

PS... I hope you go to Conference! I am bringing my husband this year! The motivation is awesome!

AJPratt said:
Eric: I know I am a little late in joining this discussion. I am normally not one to tell anyone what to do but I beg you: YOU MUST CALL THE HOME OFFICE ABOUT THIS: YOUR DESCRIMINATION AND SEXUAL HARRASSMENT! Descrimination and sexual harrassment come in many forms. I don't know what the resolution will be, but they cannot expect you to work with someone who is treating you like this, and especially not get rewarded for this behavior. That is completely unacceptable.

Let's face it, we all have different personalities and senses of humor and we can say things that are offensive without meaning to be, but what you are talking about goes WAY beyond that.

I am thrilled for you that you are joining a great cluster, but DO NOT let this person get away with this.

I have a straight, married male on my team and I fully expect him to succeed in whatever way his goals are, whether it be 1 show every 2 months or to become a NSED. I will support whatever he decides is success for him.

Very Wise Anne - and we all know that no matter gender, etc....YOU would support your team members that way....as would the vast majority of us!
Listen to Anne, Eric - she's a smart woman!

ChefBeckyD said:
Very Wise Anne - and we all know that no matter gender, etc....YOU would support your team members that way....as would the vast majority of us!
Listen to Anne, Eric - she's a smart woman!
Well thank you!

I'm getting teary-eyed here thinking how much we Cheffers love and support each other - more than our "natural" clusters, sometimes. I love that the initial reaction of everyone who has read Eric's story was the forum equivalent of "Oh, no she di'in't!" (You really need to see the finger wag and head bobble that goes with that. :) )

Eric,
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but years ago my uncle Chuck
married a woman with 4 kids. Their last name was McBean. The
kids are named Bonnie, Brian, Brenda & Barry. Just wondering if
there was any chance that there was a connection. Not sure if
McBean is a common name or not!!
Bev

McBean is not that common. I have done extensive research on my family tree. We do have several distant relatives in the states. Primarily in Michigan and California. My great-great grandfather came to Michigan in
1857 from Scotland. My great uncle moved from Michigan to California. If you know anything else about them feel free to contact me. It would be exciting to find out if they are related to me.

Eric,
I'll check with my mom to see if she knows anything
about them. All I know is my uncle Chuck married
Charlotte & she had the 4 kids. I haven't seen any
of the kids for over 20 years! They would probably
range in age from 45 to 53. Chuck & Charlotte live
in California. I'll get back to you when I hear from
my mom.
Bev

I did the same thing you said here
Stampaholic1961 said:
work hard, promote to director & start having your own meetings
so you don't have to deal with her. Proving her wrong would be
the best revenge!!!
Bev

I had the same problem with my Director - no support and constant put downs. I was always angry and in tears every time I returned from a meeting. My husband said that it was in my best interest to do it on my own. So I did just that - I started recruiting like crazy, hold my own meetings now and haven't attended my director's meetings in a while. I am getting a lot of consultants attending my meetings and don't treat them the way she treated me. I also found a really great Director friend who lives upstate and we are on the phone constantly to each other giving each other words of encouragement as she has the same director issue. We have both grown a great deal since we adopted the new attitude that we don't need anybody else to succeed in this business - it was all up to us and we took on the challenge to be successful on our own and started to grow in a way we weren't before.

Don't stop the business because of her - because then she succeeded. I have met other straight guys in this business and they are very successful. It takes a lot of nerve on her part to make such a calous remark. Shame on her for her derrogatory remarks - she is a poor example of a director - you are special person who can make a difference in the world and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Find others who can encourage you and be a great mentor and you too will grow your business!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
flemings99
  • Porchechef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • almondfarm