• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seasoning Flat Stones: Tips and Tricks for a Perfectly Seasoned Cooking Surface

To season a flat stone: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 2. Spread a thin layer of Crisco or cooking oil over the bottom of the stone. 3. Sprinkle salt or any other seasoning over the Crisco. 4. Place the stone in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the Crisco is melted and the stone is lightly browned. 5. Remove from oven and let cool.
ChefPaulaB
Okay, I think I've figured out how to season my fluted stone, but I'd also like to season my Large round with handles. I've been using it quite a bit, but it looks awful. It isn't seasoning evenly, spotty and just dirty looking (not the good brown look). I understand for the stones with edges that you can use the crisco/salt method, but what about for the flat stones? And is there a way to remove all of the spotty dirty stuff and start over?

I just use Crescent rolls for my flat stone (any of them for that matter). I don't know about removing spots. Have you tried a baking soda and water/vinegar paste?

The areas that aren't usually covered by food will be darker than the rest of the stone. So the edges of a flat stone will always be darker than the rest of it. If you happen to put things always in the same spots (like cookies), those areas will be much lighter than the "between" areas.

Paula, that is part of the normal seasoning process. My LRS w/handles is darker on the outside edge and kinda spotty in the middle from making different things--baked brie, cookies, rolls, etc. It all evens out with use.

I took a Crisco stick and rubbed it all over my round stone when I first got it. I let it sit over night and scraped it off before I used it. It looks much better than my last stone did.

None of your stoneware will season the same as other pieces. My medium bar pan is so dark in all areas except two parts where we always bake stuffed chicken breasts.

My large round stone (came in my kit almost 6 years ago) looks like a bullseye. You can tell that I use it for rings, cookies, biscuits more than anything else.

The uglier is looks, the better it cooks!

stacywhitlow said:
My large round stone (came in my kit almost 6 years ago) looks like a bullseye. You can tell that I use it for rings, cookies, biscuits more than anything else.

Mine too! ha ha ha :p

Please always make a comment about mine when they see it. But my other stones don't look like it either. No biggie that they are dark in some areas and light in others. They look great to me!

MIne all started out that way...they have to, really. But now they are starting to really even out. Nice to have some in various stages to show people the process.

I have two large bar pans one that I use at home nearly 3-4 times a week and the other for my shows. The one for my shows looks horrid. And not in the "the uglier it looks, the better it cooks" way either. It is NOT seasoning properly. I have taken it out of my kit and just keep doing recipes w/ the Large Round Stone w/ handles b/c I am embarrased of the way this bar pan looks, but I can't take the one from home to shows b/c it is SO perfectly dark and ugly that I dont want to not have it at home!!

I use the same Crisco/salt mix for flat stones. I just put foil on the next rack down. (I don't sit the stone on the foil. The foil is on the rack underneath.) I've never had trouble with it dripping off, but I don't want to have to clean that out of my oven.

pampered.chris said:
I have two large bar pans one that I use at home nearly 3-4 times a week and the other for my shows. The one for my shows looks horrid. And not in the "the uglier it looks, the better it cooks" way either. It is NOT seasoning properly. I have taken it out of my kit and just keep doing recipes w/ the Large Round Stone w/ handles b/c I am embarrased of the way this bar pan looks, but I can't take the one from home to shows b/c it is SO perfectly dark and ugly that I dont want to not have it at home!!

Maybe you should use your non-seasoned one at home more to get it seasoned for you shows... just take turns with your good one for a while. Just like we tell our customers, you have to use it to get it seasoned! ;)

Can someone explain a little more about this crisco and salt seasoning method?

emo812 said:
Can someone explain a little more about this crisco and salt seasoning method?

There is a couple threads on here somewhere with the recipe... I'll see if I can find them...

Okay, I can't figure out how to copy a link, so I just copied the info that you need about the seasoning recipe... hope it helps.

"Kelly--allow me to step in--I am the one who originally submitted the new stoneware seasoning trick...I encourage all Cheffers to use it at your show when presenting stoneware from this point forward... - it came from my grandma's way of seasoning cast iron. The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

My original recipe said, do it twice in succession - why? For the same reason the Army makes its recruits polish their shoes twice in a row - in catches any spots you miss, and gives a better polished product:

Smear the goop around, pop it in the oven at 250, and let it go for 30 minutes or so. Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around , making some attempt to contact all of the surface...the salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little. Then pop it back in the oven, leave it for another 30 minutes, and then turn the oven off and leave it in overnight - this allows the oils to seep more into the stone[...bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it, let it cool, and rinse it out.] Then, rinse/scrape under hot water and voilla! Nonstick stoneware!

- and what is important in the proportions, is twice the crisco/lard/grease, to salt. Certainly putting 1/2 cup of crisco in a small round stone is going to cause a drippy problem in your oven - so use 2 tablespoons crisco to 1 tablespoon salt, and you're good to go. (the quantity I suggested was specifically for a stoneware fluted pan)"

great thanks paula!! have a great holiday!!

This is interesting. Those of you who have done it, how were your results? I thought we are supposed to just go ahead and use our stones and not worry about "seasoning" it. That's one thing that is supposed to make ours easier and better than others on the market... because you don't have to wait to use it or do anything fancy to season it? Right? :confused:

Honestly, I don't care too much for my round large stone. When we make pizza on it, it doesn't brown well on the bottom.

My bar pan on the other hand.....LOVE it!!!

What is the best way to season a flat stone?

The best way to season a flat stone is to preheat your oven to 350°F and place the stone inside for 15 minutes. Then, carefully remove the stone from the oven and rub a thin layer of oil (such as vegetable or canola oil) over the entire surface of the stone. Place the stone back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Repeat this process a few times until the stone becomes dark and glossy.

How often should I season my flat stone?

It is recommended to season your flat stone every 3-4 uses or whenever you notice food sticking to the surface. Regular seasoning will help maintain the non-stick surface and prevent any food from sticking.

Can I use soap to clean my seasoned flat stone?

No, it is not recommended to use soap on a seasoned flat stone as it can strip away the seasoning and affect the non-stick surface. Instead, use a scraper or brush to remove any food particles and then wipe the stone clean with a damp cloth.

Can I season my flat stone on the grill?

Yes, you can season your flat stone on the grill. Simply preheat the grill to high and place the stone on the grill for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the stone and rub a thin layer of oil over the surface. Place the stone back on the grill for another 15 minutes. Repeat this process a few times until the stone becomes dark and glossy.

How do I know if my flat stone needs to be seasoned?

If your flat stone has become discolored or food is starting to stick to the surface, it is time to re-season your stone. You can also lightly rub your finger over the surface - if it feels rough instead of smooth, it may be time to re-season.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • IAmChefJ
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
jbdowd0798
Replies