• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Open Houses: Waste of Time or Worth It?

I want to do something more intimate for my customers. I think having a sign-in sheet would be a good idea.You have to decide if you want to open your home to the public or just past hosts and preferred customers.
kearstin
Hope I do this poll right...

Are they worth it? I did a search on here last night and discovered several threads about Open Houses, but there were just so many threads that I couldn't really determine what the consensus was!

I'm planning one for next Saturday with a Taste of the Tropics theme and to showcase the new products and would really like to see what others have thought - waste of time or not.

Last edited:
They can be fruitful if you make sure you act as a host, too!

Call everyone to invite them, call or email reminders, etc....

I would also not make it an Open House. I would make it a show with a start time. Then you know when people will come and not just sit there and hope they show up.

I did one last August as a Mystery Host show at my house and it was $900. :)

I haven't done an open house, but I agree with Deb, make it a regular show with a mystery host and call everyone as you would as a host.

I wasn't really sure how to answer the poll, so I didn't. I have had a few, as have some clustermates, and they haven't been HUGE. However, I have heard from other consultants that if you make it an annual event, eventually they will catch on and it will become a good thing. I think it's like your e-newsletters...you just have to keep on plugging...

I just did a mystery host show yesterday - invited 47 people - 15 showed and have about 6 outside orders with a few more to come in. It was a huge hit - already at almost $800 in orders - I made it 2 mystery hosts and they are so excited! I did this last year at this time (for double points) and had over $700 show - so I"m definitely making this a yearly thing. I also may do one in the summer for those who couldn't make it this round (cause I had many who wished they could have come but weren't able to). I live in a very small house - so 15 was a good amount to cram into my kitchen. I'm hoping it just gets bigger every year through word of mouth. I also give each person who comes a SB and raffled off small items throughout the show. I highly recommend the mystery host show and invite and follow up with everyone you invite. Good luck!

Congratulations Gina on your mystery host show yesterday!

I usually only do open houses at Xmas time, and the start of each new season. For the new seasons, I do an open house/bingo party. It's gone over really well; my customers now plan for them.
To be successful with open houses; you have to do the things you tell your hosts to do....over invite, call to remind, etc....

Don't you hate host coaching yourself?

Sometimes we need more discipline!:eek: It's easier to tell others.

lacychef said:
I usually only do open houses at Xmas time, and the start of each new season. For the new seasons, I do an open house/bingo party. It's gone over really well; my customers now plan for them.
To be successful with open houses; you have to do the things you tell your hosts to do....over invite, call to remind, etc....

Tell me about your bingo party.

I am planning that for my open house on Sunday. My brief outline will start at 4pm. Make a trifle then play 2 games of Bingo. Take a brief break and announce a few of the new products. Then play 2 more games and then break for more new products or another new recipe (just put the pieces of the Jerk Chicken Salad together). Then play 2 more games then time for shopping and taste testing. I will also have a shelf of overflow products set out that people can purchase.

I haven't had an open house but I have had a Grand Opening (my very first show) and a mystery hostess party. Both of those were at least $400 shows.

For those of you who have done an Open House - do you open it to the public or just to past hosts and preferred customers??

I've only be a consultant for <6 months, so I don't have a huge list of contacts yet, so the more people the better. However, the idea of opening my home to the public is a little creepy...

I did one at my Mom's Church when i was only 6 months into it. My customer base is split between there & here (about 1 1/2 apart). It was too much work - my mother was up the night before with me well after midnight preparing the food. And we were just making the dips and flatbread. I had about 20 people there - orders were around $600 (split between two shows discontinued items and new items). I did a sneak peek show. And I got 3 bookings. But it was mostly family.

I invited everyone in the area 80+ people. Too much money & too much time/work. I've had better home shows!

On the other hand, I did a Mystery Host catalog show in November that was a HUGE success! Over $1500 in sales and I didn't have to spend much - just postage and gas delivering their products. That I just invited "Top" select Hosts - ones I knew would do it. I had to make lots of emails, calls, etc to keep the 12 people going though.

Hope that helps!
Joanne

Chef Kearns said:
Tell me about your bingo party.

I am planning that for my open house on Sunday. My brief outline will start at 4pm. Make a trifle then play 2 games of Bingo. Take a brief break and announce a few of the new products. Then play 2 more games and then break for more new products or another new recipe (just put the pieces of the Jerk Chicken Salad together). Then play 2 more games then time for shopping and taste testing. I will also have a shelf of overflow products set out that people can purchase.

That's basically how I do it. I make the new recipes ahead of time. I talk about the monthly specials, then we play a couple games & give away PC products as prizes. Then I'll talk about upcoming specials; then play a couple more games. I usually do like a $25 gift cert for the blackout prize.
I"m thinking about playing that fun island game someone posted here awhile back....just for something different!
Good luck with yours!

Kearstin: I don't do mine at my house. The past few; I've done it at my parents' cafe on a night they're closed. (free rent!) This time I"m doing it at a different place. It's an apartment building for older people, and they have this great meeting room they rent out for free;) Try looking into your church or someplace that would let you do it there, just my opinion!

Yes....When I started last year, that was the 1st thing I did....I sent out 60 invites, to EVERYONE on my street and in the neighborhood. Although I didn't get the turn out I would have liked, I did a 350.00 show and got 2 bookings.....so it was well worth it......I still do them when new items come out to preview the new stuff....it is a nice way for the girls to get together and gives them something to look at....AND a good way to get bookings.....the women in my neighborhood look forward to it....I don't do a show, I put out my stuff, the new cats and some wine and snackies.....I did the Tuxedo Brownies last time and didn't expect orders, ended up with a 400.00 show just for having the ladies over......

DO IT.....but you HAVE to send out invites to EVERYONE you can think of.....

I did them at every changeover as a "kick-off" and invited everyone I had an address for. I had two people show up at my last one, so I quit doing them!

Related to Open Houses: Waste of Time or Worth It?

1. Are open houses really worth the time and effort?

Yes, open houses can be a valuable tool for generating leads and showcasing our products. It allows potential customers to see and experience our products in person, which can be more impactful than just seeing them online or in a catalog.

2. Do I need to have a physical storefront to hold an open house?

No, you do not need a physical storefront to hold an open house. Many consultants choose to hold them in their own homes or at a host's home. As long as there is enough space to set up a display and demonstrate products, an open house can be held anywhere.

3. How should I promote my open house event?

There are several ways to promote your open house event. You can use social media, such as creating a Facebook event and inviting friends and followers, or posting about it on Instagram or Twitter. You can also send out invitations through email or mail, or even create flyers to distribute in your local community. Don't forget to also utilize word of mouth by telling friends, family, and current customers about the event.

4. What should I have at my open house event?

At your open house, it's important to have a variety of products on display for customers to see and touch. You should also have some products available for purchase on hand, as well as order forms for customers to place orders. It's also a good idea to have some refreshments and snacks for guests to enjoy while they browse.

5. How can I make my open house event stand out?

One way to make your open house event stand out is by offering special promotions or discounts exclusively for attendees. You can also consider having a raffle or giveaway for a popular product to generate excitement. Additionally, make sure to create a welcoming and inviting atmosphere, and provide good customer service to make a positive impression on potential customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies