• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need weight loss support? Join our challenge and win $500!

In summary, the writer lost 9 pounds in the past month and is currently on week 5 of a $500 weight loss competition. They are interested in forming a support group with others who are struggling with weight loss.
heat123
Silver Member
Hey All, just wanted to post a thread where maybe we can give/get support, tips, recipes etc for a weightloss challenge! :)

I started up a "Biggest Loser competition" among friends and family and we have a $500 jackpot at stake.:D Started Feb 1 Ends April 1

So far we are on week 5.. and I have lost 9lbs, as of our last weigh in (mondays). I have NEVER really done a Calorie cut diet (usually I Low CARB, or cleanses, fasts etc) but this is the first time I have seriously watched my caloric intake.:yuck:

It was a rough first 3 weeks (as I felt completely starved all day everyday) but after a month it's gotten easier with my 1300 max from probably a 2000 (guestimate) calorie intake before.

I started exercising from 3x a week to 7-9x a week and have added not only Zumba and YOGA but a bootcamp class, 24 set(weights class), cardio/weights machines day, Spin and HULA.

My goal is now to lose 8 more pounds come end of competition (April 1). That will bring me to near wedding weight... 9 years later. :) And Maintain it, for GOOD! NO MORE YOYOing.:rolleyes:

I can proudly say my portion control is Under control.. I used to be able to eat a full Subway 12" with chips without any problems.. today I went through about a little over half of it!:D No chips. :)
And I went from 3 Straight solid meals to 5 meals a day. I hear every 3-4 hours you should eat something to keep your metabolism running. I also drink 8-12 glasses of water a day and No more juice or diet sodas or coffee :(, except on the occassion I do treat myself to Sugar free coffee.:p But usually Green tea instead of coffee every morning.

Sorry for the LONG post but Any tips, suggestions, words of advice, recipes anything if you would like to share or be apart of this support group? I would love to have you join me on this journey! I can post recipes that I get from a weightloss site too~!:)

I used WW to lose my pregnancy weight. However, I have recently fallen off the wagon. One of my friends and I have started phoning each other regularly to talk about our food/exercise habits. We even got together for a lunch session of yoga at her house.

You can actually make a group for this!

I think a group would be terrific! I am presently on WW joining Jan 3rd. I have lost 17 lbs and I love using my PC to show and share. Congratulations on your weight loss success!

I did some much better at loosing and maintaining when I worked in health care and everyone was encouraging like a support group.

I lost 70 lbs shortly after turning 16 and having a hard time in high school with the reality of being so obese. I did well with it until I found out that my thyroid had completely burned out and doesn't function anymore (not an excuse, just a severe challenge). I have struggled the past couple of years with learning how to control a non-active thyroid - and all these delicious PC recipes don't help, they are so unhealthy!!

I would love a support group!

I would love a support group too.

Wow Robochick! That is impressive! I try to healthy up the recipes of PC as much as possible and it seems to work just fine in bringing down the calorie's, fat, and sugar's.
And should we mention Portion control LOL.

Is weight watchers bascially calorie counting (in points values)??

heat123 said:
Is weight watchers bascially calorie counting (in points values)??

Yes...it also depends on your age & some other things I forget. I have done it twice & became a lifetime member (which means reaching your goal weight) I have been dieting my entire life & find WW to be the easiest & safest diet. Once you get the point system down you won't even use your calculator. Also both times when I stated eating unhealthy again, I did not put it all back in a week or two. You take it off slowly & re gain it slowly as well. So If you find yourself slipping back you can grab it before it gets out of control! Also both times I lost all the weight with barely exercising. I wouls suggest looking into it. I started again back in Dec. & have lost 15 lbs. ( seems this time its coming off slower, maybe because I'm getting up there :rolleyes: ) Go online & check it out, you WILL NOT have to kill yourself for the rewards I promise!!! :D

Congratulations to your successes! May I ask you, I have heard about a points bracelet-are you familiar with it? I was wondering how I could get one. Where you can move the points as you use them throughout the day on your bracelet and when they are gone they are gone LOL Someone had one on at the hospital I was at.

smart2cook said:
Congratulations to your successes! May I ask you, I have heard about a points bracelet-are you familiar with it? I was wondering how I could get one. Where you can move the points as you use them throughout the day on your bracelet and when they are gone they are gone LOL Someone had one on at the hospital I was at.

I have never heard of it, but If you went to a WW meetings place, I'm sure they would be able to help you. Or maybe they sell it online....HTH

smart2cook said:
Wow Robochick! That is impressive! I try to healthy up the recipes of PC as much as possible and it seems to work just fine in bringing down the calorie's, fat, and sugar's.
And should we mention Portion control LOL.

Thanks! Yes, portion control is so hard with PC recipes because they are DELICIOUS! I always switch beef to ground turkey, use plain yogurt instead of sour cream, find an additional vegetable to add to the recipe, and never add extra salt, etc if called for.

Heather that is awesome!! Good for you!!! I would love a support group for this. You said you would be interested in some advice, so I hope it is still welcome. If you are working out that much, you may not be eating enough. I know it sounds wierd, but your body needs more fuel the more you excerise. If there is anyway you could find out what your Lean Body Mass is, then there is a formula that caculates how many calories you should be taking in. I'd be happy to post that formula later. So, to get your LBM you would need to be measured and pinched - doctor, gym, somebody like that.

Although you are loosing, you might be loosing muscle. That is bad. It is a terrible balancing act. Anyhow, if you want some more info, I'll give it to you. Just don't want to go on and on if you are not interested :)

When I cracked down on my calories and workout routine in October, I was eating 1300 cal/day. The nutritionist at the gym sat down with me and broke it all down. He showed me how to figure what I should be eating based on my workouts for the week. At the time, I was working out 7 times a week - I had to eat 2000 calories a day!! I felt like a pig! But I lost weight and gained muscle. In Feb, becuase of a busy PC schedule, my workouts went down to 3 times a week - so my claories went down too.

I would love a support group too, right now I'm using sparkpeople.com to help me

chefcharity said:
Heather that is awesome!! Good for you!!! I would love a support group for this. You said you would be interested in some advice, so I hope it is still welcome. If you are working out that much, you may not be eating enough. I know it sounds wierd, but your body needs more fuel the more you excerise. If there is anyway you could find out what your Lean Body Mass is, then there is a formula that caculates how many calories you should be taking in. I'd be happy to post that formula later. So, to get your LBM you would need to be measured and pinched - doctor, gym, somebody like that.

Although you are loosing, you might be loosing muscle. That is bad. It is a terrible balancing act. Anyhow, if you want some more info, I'll give it to you. Just don't want to go on and on if you are not interested :)

When I cracked down on my calories and workout routine in October, I was eating 1300 cal/day. The nutritionist at the gym sat down with me and broke it all down. He showed me how to figure what I should be eating based on my workouts for the week. At the time, I was working out 7 times a week - I had to eat 2000 calories a day!! I felt like a pig! But I lost weight and gained muscle. In Feb, becuase of a busy PC schedule, my workouts went down to 3 times a week - so my claories went down too.

Thanks, well I was basing it off of a 1700 calorie diet... until my freind who has a nutritionist-trainer, gave her the BMR formula, which is how I arrived at what was recommended for my weight, height, and exercise schedule. But it didn't include the LBM???? I seem to be steadily losing weight (2lbs a week). so I figured that was the "right way"??

heat123 said:
Thanks, well I was basing it off of a 1700 calorie diet... until my freind who has a nutritionist-trainer, gave her the BMR formula, which is how I arrived at what was recommended for my weight, height, and exercise schedule. But it didn't include the LBM???? I seem to be steadily losing weight (2lbs a week). so I figured that was the "right way"??

Think of your car... if you drive alot, you need more fuel. Same as our bodies. The more we move, the more we need to fuel it. I was just going off what my guy said. That I would be loosing muscle. Then I would be 'skinny fat' :) Thin but no muscle tone. Hmmmm, maybe it would be worth you talking to someone one on one so you have YOUR right answer. Wonder where you could go to just get a consult and a pinch test.....
The LBM is more acurate (i think) becuase it is your body. The BMR is just a chart. I am 172 and 5'5. I have a lot of muscle... someone else might be 5'5 and 172 but no muscle. So we would look a lot different side by side. Muscle also burns more calories than fat does. So, if I sat here with 10 pounds of fat and you had the 10 pounds of muscle and we did the exact same exercise - you would burn more calories.

Don't stress out about if you are doing the 'right way' or not. Sounds like you are doing what you think is right and it is working for weight loss. Maybe just see if you could get in somewhere for a consult. (stress makes us hold weight too! Remember Miggy.... :))

My husband used to be a personal trainer and Chef Charity is right--if you are working out for more than 30 minutes a day more than 3 times a week, you do need to increase your calories or you will plateau. heat123, you are losing ebcause you have sent your body into "shock" to where it hasn't adjusted to living on the new claorie-intake yet. It takes about 6-8 weeks for that adjustment and then you will hit a plateau where you won't lose or gain.Your body will know how to liv eoff the new calories.

The problem will come in when you try to increase from 1300 (I think that's what you said) at a later point because you will gain some. It will go back down, but I know a lot of people (me included) get discouraged if the scale goes up. Just wanted you to know about that so you won't be alarmed if it happens. EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT.....so what is true for one is not necessarily true for another. You may not plateau or gain if you increase. The best way to know is to consult a trainer of your own so they can assess you accurately.

Thanks ladies, I'm afraid to see a trainer of my own. LOL, afraid he's gonna tell me I'm way to heavy for my height vs. weight scale! lol I also plugged in the formula at Gillian MIchael's website.com and it came up with the same BMR calorie thing but you are right, indivdual plans will vary ;).
And I totally agree that one person can be the same weight but muscle vs fat! ;) So that will vary also.

If you go into Groups under the maroon bar at top I made a new group called Weight Loss and Fitness. It might be easier to keep track of in there instead of a thread!

Ginger428 said:
Yes...it also depends on your age & some other things I forget. I have done it twice & became a lifetime member (which means reaching your goal weight) I have been dieting my entire life & find WW to be the easiest & safest diet. Once you get the point system down you won't even use your calculator. Also both times when I stated eating unhealthy again, I did not put it all back in a week or two. You take it off slowly & re gain it slowly as well. So If you find yourself slipping back you can grab it before it gets out of control! Also both times I lost all the weight with barely exercising. I wouls suggest looking into it. I started again back in Dec. & have lost 15 lbs. ( seems this time its coming off slower, maybe because I'm getting up there :rolleyes: ) Go online & check it out, you WILL NOT have to kill yourself for the rewards I promise!!! :D

THANKs for the 411 Ginge ;)... I tried WW awhile back but wasn't into the "calorie" thing at the time...lol... I should revisit it now that I am watching calories:rolleyes:

Here's a tasty sounding recipe: :)
Cilantro-Lime Tilapia

Light & luscious, just right for your appetite.

INGREDIENTS
Tilapia fillet (4 oz)
1 tsp olive oil
juice from half a lime
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup cooked spinach
1/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
Garlic/garlic powder (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Brush fillet with 1 tsp olive oil.
Squeeze juice from half a lime over fillet.
Sprinkle garlic powder (optional)over fish.
Sprinkle fillet with cilantro .
Broil in oven 6 inches from heat, about 5-7 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork
While tilapia is broiling, place spinach in microwave safe dish.
Toss with garlic powder or minced garlic (optional).
Cook according to package directions.
Keep covered & warm until fillets are done.
Spoon cooked spinach on a plate, place fish over spinach, top with chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese.
Serve with herb bread if desired.
Recipe is for an individual serving; multiply recipe by the number of desired servings (works as a dinner for 2 or 12!).

Number of Servings: 1

Fudgy Brownies

Instant coffee in the batter intensifies the chocolate flavor. Beating the sugar and eggs together gives the baked brownies a crackly surface.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon hot water
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325°.

Place sugar and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Combine hot water and coffee granules, stirring until coffee granules dissolve. Add coffee mixture, butter, and vanilla extract to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until combined.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, stirring just until moist (batter will be thick).

Spread batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 23 minutes or until brownies spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Garnish brownies with powdered sugar, if desired.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 brownie)

Got a sweet tooth? Find Cooking Light's most decadent desserts--lightened!

Recipe Copyright © Cooking Light Magazine

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 126.4

Total Fat: 4.9g

Total Carbs: 20.2g

Dietary Fiber: 1.3mg

Protein: 2.3g

See Full Information

Whohooo. Week 6 .......down 11lbs! 3 More weigh ins till our competition is OVER and I Hope to be 6lbs lighter by then! :p

If I can maintain this steady loss, I may just be able to pull off 2nd place, anyways! :)

Flaxseed, wheat, and bran muffins

High fiber, healthy breakfast muffin

INGREDIENTS
1 C.flaxseed ground
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C. Oat Bran
1 C. Brown sugar
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 C. shredded Carrots
2-3 Apples, cored and chopped up or shredded
1/2 C. Chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 c. Raisins (optional)
3/4 C. 2 % milk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla

DIRECTIONS
Mix flour, flaxseed, bran, sugar and dry ingredients together. Shred carrots and apples and add these along with optional raisins and nuts to dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir together milk eggs and vanilla and stir this into batter until well moistened. Fill cupcake papers until 3.4 full and bake at 350* for 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 24 med muffins.
( freeze them in ziplock bag, then just pull one out each morning and will be ready to eat 20 minutes later on the way to work! )

Number of Servings: 24

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KIMBERK24.

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 115.7

Total Fat: 3.4g

Total Carbs: 20.8g

Dietary Fiber: 2.8mg

Protein:

Thank you for this!! They are 2 points for those who need to know.

I used to use a site called spark people. It is completely free and has a lot of tools and groups. We could start a PC group and use their tools which include food and exercise trackers. The website is Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople.

I use a lot of the PC recipes and change some content to make them a little healthier. I also use the simple addition small bowls for portion control.

I had weight loss surgery almost two years ago and the pc tools have been invaluable. In fact I go to a support group once a month for the surgery and am going to ask the dietition that runs the group if we can do a cooking show for the group so I can show how the PC tools make it easier to plan more and cook less for less.

That's a great idea! I too am trying to get a show to demonstrate PC products and also how I use them and adjusted PC recipes to enhance my weight loss program.
They love the idea if it can be approved by the higher ups! PC and weight loss do work together very well! The products are invaluable. I use the prep bowls for the sugar free pudding portions and skim milk.

reneenshelcook4u said:
I used to use a site called spark people. It is completely free and has a lot of tools and groups. We could start a PC group and use their tools which include food and exercise trackers. The website is Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople.

I use a lot of the PC recipes and change some content to make them a little healthier. I also use the simple addition small bowls for portion control.

I had weight loss surgery almost two years ago and the pc tools have been invaluable. In fact I go to a support group once a month for the surgery and am going to ask the dietition that runs the group if we can do a cooking show for the group so I can show how the PC tools make it easier to plan more and cook less for less.

PS. The recipes are from sparks.com just FYI :)

Cabbage Vegetable Soup

Brought To Your Kitchen From SparkPeople Member: LBBROCK195

INGREDIENTS
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 14.5 oz can green beans
1 12 oz can sweet yellow corn
1 15 oz can pinto beans
soy ground "beef" (optional, not included in nutritional information)

DIRECTIONS
1. Place tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, and cabbage in a pot, simmer over medium heat until tender.

2. Add canned vegetables. Heat.

Serves 12

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 125.1

Total Fat: 0.9g

Total Carbs: 26.4g

Dietary Fiber: 8.3mg

Protein: 6.4g

See Full Information

I am looking into trying WW again (for 3 month subscription) but can anybody tell me about Momentum? Do they combine that with Pts. system or are they seperate from eachother? Pts. Vs Momentum?? I was confused when I went to the website. I swear when I tried it before it was called something else started with a C something maybe Core?? I think??? That was over a year ago. TIA!

1. How do I stay motivated during a weight loss challenge?

Staying motivated during a weight loss challenge can be difficult, but there are a few things you can do to help. First, set realistic and achievable goals for yourself. This will give you something to work towards and keep you motivated. Additionally, find a support system or accountability partner to help keep you on track. Surround yourself with people who have similar goals and can provide encouragement and support. Lastly, remind yourself of the benefits of weight loss, such as improved health and increased confidence.

2. Is it necessary to count calories to lose weight?

Counting calories can be a helpful tool for weight loss, but it is not necessary. The most important factor for weight loss is consuming fewer calories than you burn. This can be achieved through various methods such as portion control, mindful eating, and choosing nutrient-dense foods. However, if counting calories works for you, then it can be a useful strategy to help you stay on track.

3. What are some healthy and filling meal ideas for weight loss?

Some healthy and filling meal ideas for weight loss include salads with lean protein, such as grilled chicken or fish, and plenty of vegetables. Other options include stir-fries with lean protein and vegetables, quinoa bowls with roasted vegetables and chickpeas, and vegetable-based soups or stews. It's also important to incorporate a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein sources into your meals to ensure you are getting a balanced diet.

4. How often should I exercise during a weight loss challenge?

The recommended amount of exercise for weight loss is at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week. This can be broken down into 30 minutes of exercise, five days a week. However, you can increase this amount if you feel comfortable and have the time. It's important to find activities you enjoy and to incorporate strength training for overall health and to help prevent muscle loss while losing weight.

5. What are some tips for maintaining weight loss after a challenge?

To maintain weight loss after a challenge, it's important to continue with healthy habits that helped you reach your goals. This includes finding a balance between healthy eating and physical activity, setting realistic and sustainable goals, and addressing any underlying emotional or psychological factors that may have contributed to weight gain. It can also be helpful to continue tracking your food intake and staying active, even if it's not as intense as during the challenge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • AnnieBee
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies
Views
1upland