• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Tried and True Potatoe Pancake Recipe!

I made these tonight and they were delicious! I used 3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese and they turned out great. I also added a bit of flour to the mixture to make them a bit thicker. I think the addition of the flour really helped to keep them from falling apart while I was flipping them. Thanks for the recipe!
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Every time that I make potatoe pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes, they end up as potatoe mush...very hard to flip cuz they don't "harden" up.

Tonights were probably the best outcome, but still a PITA to flip and VERY soft inside...they want to fall apart still.

I used about 2 c. potatoes, 3/4 shredded cheese, and 2 eggs. Then, I carefully plopped the batter into panko bread crumbs to coat the outside. Would it help (and not mess with the flavor) to add some of the panko to the INSIDE mix?

I am eating one now...and as they cool slightly, they are setting up a bit more but this is how I want them to be in the pan so I can flip them without them falling apart!

HELP!

they sound good :) sorry, I'm no help. but I can't wait to see the responses!

First off, potato pancakes are made with shredded potatoes, not mashed. Potato patties are made with mashed potatoes.
Check for latke recipes. Those are traditional Jewish potato pancakes, and they're GOOOOD.

I add some flour to my potato mixture to firm them. It does not affect the taste for me.

Wow. We made these all the time growing up. My mom, the food science wiz said the secret was in using cold mashed potatoes. Something with the starches setting up overnight. Same with rice. We'd make rice patties all the time with 2 cups rice and 2 eggs, cooked like a potato cake. Just an idea. Love the idea with the cheese. Could it be that adding to the liquify effect? You could get a good cheese flavor with a stronger cheese, and use less (1/4 cup extra sharp). It might hold better. Crap. Now I am really craving potato "patties" as we called them.

Thanks for all of the help! DH still thought they were really good...said they were the best ones ever. I think the panko on the outside really helped. Next time, I will try adding some flour and a small amount of the panko to the batter to thicken it up! A sharp cheddar may help too!

THANKS!

Hi there! I have a great recipe for potato pancakes that always turns out perfectly for me. Here it is:Ingredients:
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for fryingInstructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, cheese, green onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the potato mixture and form into patties.
5. Coat each patty with panko bread crumbs on both sides.
6. Carefully place the patties in the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
7. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
8. Serve hot and enjoy!I find that the combination of flour and bread crumbs in the mixture helps the pancakes hold their shape and prevents them from falling apart. You can also try adding a little more flour if the mixture seems too soft. I hope this helps and that you enjoy these potato pancakes as much as I do! Happy cooking!

Related to Need Tried and True Potatoe Pancake Recipe!

What ingredients do I need for the potato pancake recipe?

The ingredients you will need are:

• 2 large potatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • Oil for frying

How do I make the potato pancakes?

To make the potato pancakes, grate the potatoes and onion using a box grater or food processor. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated potatoes and onion. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and then add in the grated potatoes and onion. Mix in the flour, salt, and black pepper. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and drop spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.

Can I use a different type of flour for the recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of flour you prefer. However, using all-purpose flour will give the best results for the texture of the potato pancakes.

How many potato pancakes does this recipe make?

This recipe makes approximately 8-10 potato pancakes, depending on the size of your spoonfuls.

Can I make the potato pancakes ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the potato pancakes ahead of time and reheat them in the oven or toaster oven. They can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave or oven. However, freshly cooked potato pancakes will have the best texture and flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jaye
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jdavis
  • letmepamperu13
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies