• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Leftover Mashed Potatoes, Potato Pancakes

In summary, bacon and mashed potato sandwich recipe calls for bacon, mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese. The recipe also calls for toast, fried until crispy, and then chopped. The ingredients are mixed together to create a batter-like consistency. The sandwiches are then placed on toasts with turkey slices and bacon mixture.
jaye
So, I used to have this recipe where you would use leftover mashed potatoes and turn them into potato pancakes. However, I can't remember it, I tried to ad lib it last night and they just didn't come out right.

First question; what is something you can do with leftover mashed potatoes, besides reheat or put into shepherd's pie?

Second question: Does anyone have a GOOD potato pancake recipe? I have googled and found some on Food Network, but not sure if they are GOOD! :)

THANKS! Hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed the weekend!

jaye said:
So, I used to have this recipe where you would use leftover mashed potatoes and turn them into potato pancakes. However, I can't remember it, I tried to ad lib it last night and they just didn't come out right.

First question; what is something you can do with leftover mashed potatoes, besides reheat or put into shepherd's pie?

Second question: Does anyone have a GOOD potato pancake recipe? I have googled and found some on Food Network, but not sure if they are GOOD! :)

THANKS! Hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed the weekend!

Don't laugh.. but for me the best thing you can do with leftover mashed potatoes is have them for breakfast with butter and sour cream!

My mom used to make the best potato cakes! I don't know if she added anything to them before frying them, but I know what made them great was frying them in bacon grease. She always had a jar of it in the fridge!

Leftover mashed potatoesI will be trying some of these with my leftovers.

Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe
Ingredients
1 pound small baking potatoes, unpeeled
1 cup shredded aged Swiss cheese or Gruyere (4 ounces)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 green onion, trimmed, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oil or butter

Instructions
Cook the whole, unpeeled potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and roughly mash in a large bowl.

Add the cheese, eggs, green onion, mustard, salt and pepper to taste to the potatoes. Stir to blend with a wooden spoon. With wet hands, form the potatoes into patties about 3 inches wide and 1/2-inch thick. Rinse your hands frequently to prevent sticking.

Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add the tablespoon of oil or butter (ideally, a bit of both to prevent butter from burning). When hot, add the patties, without crowding skillet, and cook until golden brown and crisp on the bottoms. Turn and brown other sides. Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil as needed.
Yeilds 12 - 3 inch cakes

Chicken And Mashed Potato Bake

3 (1 ounce) packages chicken gravy mix
3 cups cubed, cooked chicken breasts
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups frozen mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes (, prepared according to package directions)

Prepare gravy mix according package directions in skillet (or you can make your own gravy).
Add chicken and frozen vegetables and return to boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour hot stew into 4-quart baking dish.
Spoon or pipe potatoes onto hot mixture using pastry bag and large tip.
Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until potato topping is lightly browned.

Mashed Potato Soup

1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 stalk celery, including the leaves,chopped fine
1 carrot, grated coarse
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 pinch of crumbled dried rosemary
2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley leaves
salt & freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan cook the onion, celery, and carrot in butter over medium-low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the broth and rosemary, and bring to boiling.
Whisk in the potatoes, a little at a time, bring the soup to a boil again, stirring, and add the vinegar, parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bacon and mashed potato sandwich

3/4 lb bacon (hickory smoked)
1 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices swiss cheese
8 slices smoked turkey breast
4 slices of your favorite bread

Toast bread Fry bacon until crisp.
Chop roughly and add to mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese.
Loosely mix to a batter like consistency.
Place two slices of turkey on each piece of toast and spread bacon mixture over the top.
Place one slice of swiss cheese over each and broil until the cheese is melted.

Leftover Mashed Potato Soup

2 tablespoons butter or bacon drippings
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftover is great)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2 scallions, finely chopped
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half

Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.
In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.
Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.
Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.
Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.
Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.
Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.

Sausage and Mashed Potato Bake

1 lb Italian sausages
3 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves minced fresh garlic, to taste
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use canned also if desired, but fresh is better!)
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained,to taste
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, to taste
1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1-2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Set oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain fat, can cut in large pieces or leave whole.
Place in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Top/spread evenly with the 3 cups of mashed potatoes.
In the same skillet, saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper; mix to combine (do not cook).
Spoon over potatoes to within 1-inch of edge.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley on top.
Bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

Debbie :D :D :D

OMgoodness... I can't wait to try all of those! YUMMY!! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

1. How do I make potato pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes?

To make potato pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes, combine the mashed potatoes with flour, eggs, and any desired seasonings. Form the mixture into patties and fry in a pan until crispy on both sides. Serve hot with your favorite toppings.

2. Can I freeze leftover mashed potatoes to use for potato pancakes later?

Yes, you can freeze leftover mashed potatoes and use them to make potato pancakes later. Make sure to thaw the mashed potatoes completely before using them in the recipe.

3. Can I use sweet potatoes to make potato pancakes?

Yes, you can use sweet potatoes to make potato pancakes. Cook the sweet potatoes, mash them, and follow the same steps as you would with regular mashed potatoes to make the pancakes.

4. How long can I keep leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge before making potato pancakes?

Leftover mashed potatoes can be kept in the fridge for up to 3-4 days before using them to make potato pancakes. Make sure to store them in an airtight container to maintain freshness.

5. Can I add cheese to my potato pancakes?

Yes, you can add shredded cheese to your potato pancakes for extra flavor. Simply mix the cheese into the mashed potato mixture before forming into patties and frying.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
Chef Diane
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies