• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Fd Dillemma, Which I Am Sure......

In summary, Ann is trying to figure out how to keep her recruits active and motivated without promoting them too soon. She has 3 recruits signed, potentially active, and she is worried about promoting them too soon and bombing. She is also focusing on recruiting and keeping her team excited.
mrssyvo
We all share. My dilemma is to keep all of my recruits active at the same time. I have 4 recruits, 2 inactive, 2 active, and many on the fence about signing (not the right time, yadda, yadda, yadda) I do not want to promote if my team is not stable, but I do not want to miss out on the benefits. My up-lines keep telling me it is easier to keep directorship than to earn it, but I do not want to get on the roller coaster. How do you feel about this? Do you have the same problem?

I am SOOO in that boat with you!

Right now, I have 3 signed, potentially active recruits. One is consistently active, one submits something a couple of times a year (she's actually the first recruit I ever signed), and one went inactive coming off a waiver for back surgery in December (the waiver was through Feb, I think).

The problem I deal with is knowing how much to keep on my team to keep them properly motivated. Renee's great - she calls me when she has questions or to celebrate. But my other 2 gals never call me, and I don't want to be a pest and look like I'm only calling to keep them active so I don't lose my status. I'm so nervous about getting to five and then bombing.

So let's focus on recruiting - get our teams excited to be consultants and excited to recruit for themselves! That's going to be my new focus heading into Fall.

Ann, That is my focus for Fall also. I decided that I can not want the business for them, they need to find that drive themselves. I am going to concentrate on recruiting, and get enough of them in the "funnel" so that even though some might be on their way out, there are plenty in, and on their way in.

Don't forget, too, that what your team sees you do, they'll do. So as you recruit more, so will they, adding to your "cushion".

I was nervous too about having 5 active at the same time, so I didn't accept directorship until I had 8 recruits. That way, if a few are inactive, at least I would have enough to keep going.

Ann. Don't wait for them to call you. They will not call unless they have something really big to share. If you don't call them to "check in" they will decide that you don't care or like you said, you only call for you.

Make it a point to check in with everyone at least once a month and tell them that you are going to do that so that you are more consistant and organized - they will appreciate it and they will look forward to your call. Also tell them that they can call you anytime inbetween.

Thanks, Beth. I just needed to hear that again. I have great intentions but... :rolleyes: I did send my 2 less-active gals info from conference, so I have an excuse to follow up with them. I'll do that tonight.

Did you guys both listen to the Future Director call on 7/25?

Remember what she said about the perpetual 4????

You have to recruit more...I'm in the mindset of the 8 that someone mentioned to keep 5. I wouldn't want to accept then lose (even though I keep hearing that it is easier to maintain than gain too.)

Just wanted to say I hear you!! I feel like I'm pedaling a bicycle in quicksand sometimes!! I've heard it's a "numbers" game, so I'm just going to focus on recruiting - asking all of my hosts (I forget 1/2 the time - gotta get better at that) and offering it to EVERY guest (I tend to pre-judge - bad, I know!). I'm getting better and it's getting easier to say things, but sometimes I just gotta shut up, too. I can never seem to get them over the fence - they get just about there, and then never follow through. Or, if they sign, they can never get bookings and fizzle out (even though I offer to do their first show for them, get the bookings for them, yadda yadda - they always turn me down!). My next recruit, it's not going to be an option - I WILL be there for her first couple shows to get her/him off on the right foot, I will insist that they have their first 4 shows booked before they sign the agreement, and I will set them up for success. I'm definitely more focused on making it all about THEM, too, and not about what they will do for me. That will happen naturally if I focus on them, right?? I just keep telling myself that, at least!!!

So glad we have this little "corner" to dish about this stuff now!! :)

Ok- I called both of my less-active gals tonight. Had a chat with one, although not all about PC (but I did mention our upcoming meeting, and she said she got her changeover box today - I'm jealous!). Left a message for the other. She's the one I'm nervous about touching base with because I really dropped the ball with her after her leave at the beginning of the year.

It is a numbers game 1/3 are joining, 1/3 are active, 1/3 ae leaving. Most of my team have been part-times. I am pretty consistent with my 1250 in sales every month but I cannot do $4000 for cluster sales by myself so if I get 5 active I will not accept directorship until I have enough people to be pretty consistent with the $4000 a month. I know myslef and know how devistated I would be if I lost directorship so I want stability before I will accept

cathyskitchen said:
Just wanted to say I hear you!! I feel like I'm pedaling a bicycle in quicksand sometimes!! I've heard it's a "numbers" game, so I'm just going to focus on recruiting - asking all of my hosts (I forget 1/2 the time - gotta get better at that) and offering it to EVERY guest (I tend to pre-judge - bad, I know!). I'm getting better and it's getting easier to say things, but sometimes I just gotta shut up, too. I can never seem to get them over the fence - they get just about there, and then never follow through. Or, if they sign, they can never get bookings and fizzle out (even though I offer to do their first show for them, get the bookings for them, yadda yadda - they always turn me down!). My next recruit, it's not going to be an option - I WILL be there for her first couple shows to get her/him off on the right foot, I will insist that they have their first 4 shows booked before they sign the agreement, and I will set them up for success. I'm definitely more focused on making it all about THEM, too, and not about what they will do for me. That will happen naturally if I focus on them, right?? I just keep telling myself that, at least!!!

So glad we have this little "corner" to dish about this stuff now!! :)

I'm right there with you Cathy! I am not a future director at the moment...but I have spent the better part of my PC career as a "future" - and I plan on being one again here soon! I am the same way with potential recruits not committing, and new recruits not following through.....I think I have set a record for the percentage of recruits who never qualify!!!:(

A clustermate of mine alway says that if she gets Career Club for recruiting and isn't a Director, she's going to scream. Problem is, I think she's at 15 or so career recruits, and has no active ones currently.I guess I'm lucky. Only one of mine never turned in anything, and she was a long-distance recruit (in Jackson).

Yeah, I've always been able to get them to qualify, and only one never submitted anything (her niece warned me she'd be like that, though), and I have one very successful recruit who's been on here a bit, but I just wish I had that "magic" that some people seem to have and are able to just recruit without even trying - like my director! She had 3 people sign AT THE SHOW 2 weeks ago!! OMG - I'd love for that to happen to me ONCE - it happens to her all the time! I'm still trying to figure that one out. She got to talk with Jillian Eisenberg at conference (her roommate did a workshop with her, and they met the night before in their room), and some of her tips were good, so we'll see!

Oh, and Ann, too funny about your clustermate - well, not really that funny, b/c I understand completely, but very ironic, I guess. That would be me, too!! :(

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm right there with you Cathy! I am not a future director at the moment...but I have spent the better part of my PC career as a "future" - and I plan on being one again here soon! I am the same way with potential recruits not committing, and new recruits not following through.....I think I have set a record for the percentage of recruits who never qualify!!!:(

Becky, we are in that boat together. I couldn't go to Leadership because I lost my FD status (first one I'd missed in 4 years) and at National I didn't have the FD ribbon to wear. Broke my heart to stay home in January.

Found out yesterday that my one remaining recruit is going to quit. So, I'm starting from scratch.

Backtracking a wee bit, as a new consultant I have to say I would love to hear more from my upline. My director is an hour away, and I joined through the website. The contact and support would really be helpful on those rough weeks I've been having lately.
Just my 2 cents

When it comes to keeping your team member active, it's very important to not think about what "you" are going to get out of it but what "they" are going to get out of it. When you start making things about them, how to help them reach their goals, get what they need from their business, etc. etc., then the things that you want will then start to fall into place. Sounds a little odd but I sware tht it works!

Start with sitting down with new recruits and have them answer some questions about what they would like to see happen with their new business. Once you know their goals you can help to set up an action plan to help them achieve this. Starting off with a strong and successful start will encourage them to stick with it and in turn will keep you with a consistent and happy downline!

Hope that helps a little...

grayby said:
Backtracking a wee bit, as a new consultant I have to say I would love to hear more from my upline. My director is an hour away, and I joined through the website. The contact and support would really be helpful on those rough weeks I've been having lately.
Just my 2 cents

I would love to have someone like you on my team who welcomes my calls and emails!! I seem to attract people who think they can do it all themselves and never reply to my phone calls or emails (except one, who I consider a friend now and we're almost more like PC buddies than "upline/recruit" anymore). I don't want to bug people, either, but man, I would love it if I could actually get in touch with one my other recruits and have a conversation once in a blue moon!!! Sorry - didn't mean to turn this into a vent, but it is what it is. I guess I just have to keep plugging away, right? I know I'll be a great director when I finally get there someday...!

Darcy, I definitely agree with you. When one of my recruits said she needed help getting bookings, I offered to come to her shows and help her get them - she turned me down. I got her signed up for a fair, and she barely talked to anyone (the other girl there apparently "stole" all of her people, but the other girl said she wasn't talking to anyone - whatever!). I sit down with every new recruit and do a 3-month action plan, I call and email frequently and tell them I expect to hear from them often and it's "OK", I offer so much of my time and effort for them and really do make it about them being successful. I don't know what else to do, except keep recruiting and hoping it works on the next person!

Keep on keeping on! You'll get there!

chefann said:
Ok- I called both of my less-active gals tonight. Had a chat with one, although not all about PC (but I did mention our upcoming meeting, and she said she got her changeover box today - I'm jealous!). Left a message for the other. She's the one I'm nervous about touching base with because I really dropped the ball with her after her leave at the beginning of the year.

Since I'm 1/2 way to being a FD, I'm jumpin' in...

TALK TO HER!!! My director REALLY dropped the ball with me and I know you've read some of my previous rants. But if she at any time (even today) ever actually called me - not an email, but a real phone call - and said "You know I screwed up. I wasn't there for you like I should have been. I'm sorry. Let's start over and go from here..." all would be forgiven. I know things happen and often life gets in the way of our best laid plans. Just call her, be honest and say that you messed up with supporting her without giving excuses. Then tell her you are going to contact her every month (or whatever you agree on) and stick with it. Regardless of what she decides to do with PC after that, you will know you did everything you could at this point and you can "Bless and Release" YOURSELF from any future worry or guilt!
GOOD LUCK!!!

katie0128 said:
Since I'm 1/2 way to being a FD, I'm jumpin' in...

TALK TO HER!!! My director REALLY dropped the ball with me and I know you've read some of my previous rants. But if she at any time (even today) ever actually called me - not an email, but a real phone call - and said "You know I screwed up. I wasn't there for you like I should have been. I'm sorry. Let's start over and go from here..." all would be forgiven. I know things happen and often life gets in the way of our best laid plans. Just call her, be honest and say that you messed up with supporting her without giving excuses. Then tell her you are going to contact her every month (or whatever you agree on) and stick with it. Regardless of what she decides to do with PC after that, you will know you did everything you could at this point and you can "Bless and Release" YOURSELF from any future worry or guilt!
GOOD LUCK!!!
That's what I did Last night. I got her voice mail, but I left her a message that I was sorry I dropped the ball, and I'd love to chat. If I don't hear from her today I'll try her again.

Well, I just looked at my ipt & found that 3 of my 4 are now inactive. That means I'm no longer a future, just a mere lowly consultant. J/K. I am sad to lose my FD, but this is really an answer from God. I've been feeling as though he is leading me out of PC. I feel foolish b/c I just went to conference even though my gut was telling me not to go. I guess I will be going back into hobby mode instead of full-force director seeking mode. I'm really fine with that right now, to be honest. Someday my directorship will come. Someday when I'm ready to accept & put more into it. :)

After reading all of the posts on this thread...I so remember the frustration of trying to get to 5 and praying that they all stayed active. Don't lose faith! I walked with just 5 and some were shaky but I was determined to recruit more and I did in a short time. I now have 2 Future Directors (and a Hospitality New Future Director...right Darcy!!!)

Two things I have heard that may help with a side dish of rambling!!
The answer to ALL of what ailes your PC business can be solved by recruiting more people. Easier said than done, I know. But what worked for me in recruiting, was what helped me in sales...if they order, they order...if they don't they don't. Just a more relaxed feeling on my part and knowing I could not control what people ulimately ordered. The same with recruiting. Currently, I am trying getting ready for a meeting and showing people where they are on the "on track" incentive chart. AND how they can achieve the next closest level.

The other thing that I heard was an AD describing an issue her downline may be having...and what seems to be an issue with me. That is, keeping it all going! Visualize a person that puts plates on top of a pole and gets them spinning. That person just can't get that plate spinning and forget about it. They have to return and give them another spin. It takes practice to get several plates up and have them all keep spinning...but it can be done! I keep practicing and will have plates fall...but I get better at it everytime!

Ok...if I have helped great...if I have confused...I understand!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks, Ann. That's a good analogy.I did reach my inactive gal today (the one for whom I left a message yesterday). She's been having continuing health issues, but does want to get back into PC eventually. I did warn her that if she went a full year inactive she'd have to buy a new kit (she and DH are both on disability right now because of the health issues). She's going to probably come to the extended group meeting (under my SD) on Tuesday. Hooray!And on my IPT this morning, my other 2 gals both submitted something in July. I didn't get 1250 in, so no override for me, but at least they're both still active. :D

That is progress and that is fantastic! July is a very tough month. It is better than January, but not by much. I had 11 shows on my calendar (along with conference) and in one week I had 6 booked. 5 postponed!!! All legit reasons, but I am SOOOOOO glad I overbooked myself. I didn't have all of them close yet so I missed $3000 by about $900. If they all closed, I would have hit it. And that is where the director perk comes into play. We will get the products anyway. My one party was $1100...the rest were not big at all but it all adds up. I am even talking Christmas to people already. It's less than 5 months away!!:eek: :eek: I am such a Pampered who**

When do I have to make director by to get the director product packages for fall?

baychef said:
That is progress and that is fantastic! July is a very tough month. It is better than January, but not by much. I had 11 shows on my calendar (along with conference) and in one week I had 6 booked. 5 postponed!!! All legit reasons, but I am SOOOOOO glad I overbooked myself. I didn't have all of them close yet so I missed $3000 by about $900. If they all closed, I would have hit it. And that is where the director perk comes into play. We will get the products anyway. My one party was $1100...the rest were not big at all but it all adds up. I am even talking Christmas to people already. It's less than 5 months away!!:eek: :eek: I am such a Pampered who**

I think that you have until the 5th to make that $3000. Is that enough time to close them?

I have been FD and lost and got it back and lost it 3 times now. I need to recruit more consistently and hope they all stay active. I would have 2 and be FD right now but one is Inactive

I have one that joined last year & I thought she was going to stay in for a long time. She had a baby at the beginning of the year and has since gone inactive. I called her once and she said she may have a show in August and I am not sure where to go from there. I know I need to call her and see how things are going with the 3 kids and also do like Ann and send her some information about National Conference along with the mini catalog.

I just counted it out and I have had 9 sign and 2 kit nappers out of those. I only have 2 that show on my list now (the inactive one and the one that signed last month) I guess I need to spend less time on here and get with it though. My 3-2-1 will become a habit starting now!!!

baychef said:

Baychef, are you thinking you can't get them closed by Sunday evening? That should do it for you.

Are you able to not accept Directorship at 5? So it's not automatic? That's good to know if that's the case.

As far as getting them qualified....

I heard a girl at conference talking about how her new recruits hold their own first show and when the show sales reach $600, she actually has them submit it as 4 separate shows of $150 so they can technically qualify afer one show. Has anyone tried this? It also helps them get more PC dollars too I guess. (although less show benefits).

Christ Follower said:
As far as getting them qualified....

I heard a girl at conference talking about how her new recruits hold their own first show and when the show sales reach $600, she actually has them submit it as 4 separate shows of $150 so they can technically qualify afer one show. Has anyone tried this? It also helps them get more PC dollars too I guess. (although less show benefits).

With my last recruit, I asked her what was important to her. She wanted to qualify in her first month (July) but, more importantly, she wanted the SS saute pan. We split her one large show into 4 smaller shows with the approval of her host/best friend. She was able to accomplish both of her goals by doing it this way, however, if she couldn't do both, she wanted the SS saute pan more than the 50 PC bucks. I did check with my Director first before I spoke to my recruit.

I too have been on the Future Director hamster wheel since 2005. I've had several kitnappers and some that were so discouraged after their first show that they didn't try again. I do have 2 active that I've recruited and 1 active that one of my team members recruited. My goal was to walk in July but I didn't make it (so now I'm discouraged). My new goal is NC next year since I will not be going to Cincinatti.

I love this thread! I am a long term FD myself. And I have had that thought about getting to Career Club in recruiting and not being a director. Currently I have a team of 5 including three that I can count on- none of these are big producers but I can count on 2-8 shows a month each. Then I have two girls who are walking barrels of excuses. They are time sucking, energy draining challenges for me. For the longest time I really felt like I MUST be doing something wrong in their training and THAT was why they just werent DOING anything. But many of you have reinforced for me that no- its not me- they are just not interested enough to do the work. I have to learn to be ok with that. I am sure there will be many more like that in the future.

I am with all of you! One of my girls just went inactive because she didn't submit anything in July. She did in May and June and she didn't realize after she got the email from HO that she didn't have to submit anything in July. So I have recruit who just signed last week and I have another signing soon. The rest of my 3 other people are inactive! All of my inactive people are part timers who don't return my calls or emails!

So I need to recruit more!

Ann R.

My Director is out of town this week on her family vacation, and she put me in charge of the cluster meeting (this Friday - she'll be back that afternoon). I know that she's got a bunch of people in the cluster who are inactive and I'd love for them to reactivate, so my Director can have a more successful team. When I sent out the email invitation to the meeting, I included a bit to the effect of:
If you're inactive, fall is a great time to reactivate, as it is traditionally the strongest selling season of the year. Come to the meeting to learn about the new products and get tips to make some money this Fall. We'd love to see you there!

Make it about your team. If they get the idea that Fall is usually "easy", they'll be willing to give it another go. :)

1. How can I keep all of my recruits active at the same time?

This is a common concern for many Pampered Chef consultants. One way to keep your recruits engaged and active is by regularly communicating with them and providing support and guidance. This could include hosting team meetings, offering training and resources, and checking in with them regularly to see how their business is going.

2. What should I do if I have inactive recruits?

If you have inactive recruits, it's important to reach out to them and try to understand why they are not actively working their business. Maybe they are facing personal challenges or feeling overwhelmed. Offer your support and encouragement and see if there is anything you can do to help them get back on track.

3. How do I handle recruits who are on the fence about signing up?

It's important to respect the timing of your potential recruits and not pressure them into signing up before they are ready. You can continue to share your passion for the Pampered Chef opportunity with them and offer to answer any questions they may have. Keep in touch with them and let them know that the door is always open for them to join your team when they are ready.

4. Should I wait to promote until my team is more stable?

This is a personal decision and ultimately, you should do what feels right for you and your business. It's important to have a strong and active team before promoting, but at the same time, you don't want to miss out on potential benefits. Consider talking to your upline and fellow consultants for their advice and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

5. Do you also struggle with keeping all of your recruits active?

Many Pampered Chef consultants face the same dilemma and it's completely normal. Building a successful team takes time and effort, and there will always be challenges along the way. Just remember to stay positive and focus on supporting and empowering your team, and the rest will fall into place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Bren706