• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mandoline Practice: Cheap Potato Ideas for Tomorrow's Show

In summary, the person is practicing with their mandoline and is looking for ideas for what to make with a bunch of potato slices. They mention that they don't like scalloped potatoes and that they have made baked chips with the crinkle blade, scalloped potatoes with the straight blades, and that they always slice their potatoes before boiling to mash. They also mention that they like to fry their potatoes and add bacon, onions, and mushrooms.
PamperedK
Silver Member
I'm going to be practicing with my Mandoline today for my show tomorrow. Any ideas for what I can make with a bunch of potato slices? I know potatoes are cheap but I can't afford to waste food.

I don't like scalloped potatoes, so those are out.

Any ideas for a dip for baked slices??

I have made baked chips with the crinkle blade, scallopped potatoes with the straight blades, and I always slice my potatoes on the mandoline before boiling to mash so they cook faster!

Winnipegk said:
I'm going to be practicing with my Mandoline today for my show tomorrow. Any ideas for what I can make with a bunch of potato slices? I know potatoes are cheap but I can't afford to waste food.

I don't like scalloped potatoes, so those are out.

Any ideas for a dip for baked slices??

How 'bout melting some cheddar cheese and adding bacon bits and/or onions in for a dip to dip in or pour over the slices.

janetupnorth said:
How 'bout melting some cheddar cheese and adding bacon bits and/or onions in for a dip to dip in or pour over the slices.

Oooh that sounds good! Kind of like perogies or something!

gilliandanielle said:
I have made baked chips with the crinkle blade, scallopped potatoes with the straight blades, and I always slice my potatoes on the mandoline before boiling to mash so they cook faster!

How long do you baked them? AT what temp?

I can't remember what book it is in right now but there is a recipe for potato rounds (kind of like potato skins). You bake them with cheese, bacon and green onion on top.

MicheleC said:
I can't remember what book it is in right now but there is a recipe for potato rounds (kind of like potato skins). You bake them with cheese, bacon and green onion on top.
Haven't found mine around yet, but think that was in the older stoneware sensations book - sounds familiar...

MicheleC said:

Maybe that's where I subconsciously got my idea to put cheddar cheese, bacon and onion on top. :D

gilliandanielle said:
Great tip! I never would have thought to slice the potatoes to make mashed potatoes. Thanks!

I like to fry mine. Add some bacon, onions, and fresh mushrooms and sprinkle with one of our rubs. I put a little oil in the pan and cover them and let them cook for about 20 minutes, flipping them every once in awhile. Yum, but probably very fattening!:D

Related to Mandoline Practice: Cheap Potato Ideas for Tomorrow's Show

What is a mandoline and how does it work?

A mandoline is a kitchen tool used for slicing and julienning fruits and vegetables. It has a sharp blade attached to a sliding platform, which allows for precise and consistent cuts. To use a mandoline, you simply slide the food over the blade while applying pressure.

Why is practicing with a mandoline important?

Practicing with a mandoline allows you to become comfortable and confident with using the tool. It also helps you to develop the proper technique for safe and efficient slicing.

What are some affordable potato recipes that can be made using a mandoline?

Some cheap and easy potato ideas for tomorrow's show include homemade potato chips, scalloped potatoes, potato gratin, and roasted potato wedges.

Is it necessary to wear protective gloves when using a mandoline?

It is highly recommended to wear protective gloves when using a mandoline to prevent any accidents or injuries from the sharp blade. However, if you do not have gloves, make sure to use the safety guard provided with the tool and handle the mandoline with caution.

How do I clean and maintain my mandoline?

To clean your mandoline, disassemble it and wash each part with warm soapy water. Dry thoroughly before storing. It is important to also regularly sharpen the blade and replace it when necessary to ensure optimal performance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bridgetbakes
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • AmyDare