• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Arthritis in Your Senior Dog: Tips and Advice for a Happier Life

In summary, our 8.5 year old yellow lab has started struggling daily with arthritis, especially in his back end. He has always been a big dog so his 120 pounds isn't helping at all. He takes gloucosomine daily plus remadyl when needed. In the past 2 months we've seen him not be able to stand without major effort and he's had a few "collapses" when he's tried to stand. Blue still goes for a walk daily and will play fetch in a park with my hubby. He still seems happy.Does anyone have any advise to further treat his arthritic symptoms? Massage, heat, any other medication or
bethsbiz
Gold Member
We have a 8.5 year old yellow lab who has started struggling daily with arthritis, especially in his back end. He has always been a big dog so his 120 pounds isn't helping at all. He takes gloucosomine daily plus remadyl when needed. In the past 2 months we've seen him not be able to stand without major effort and he's had a few "collapses" when he's tried to stand. Blue still goes for a walk daily and will play fetch in a park with my hubby. He still seems happy.

So, question: Does anyone have any advise to further treat his arthritic symptoms? Massage, heat, any other medication or supplement?

My husband and I realize that our beloved dog is in the twilight of his life but we are still hopeful to help him thru this condition a bit better in order to extend his time with our family.

Any advise is appreciated.

My Dh works at a place called IFA (Intermountain Farmers Association) and they sell something called next level joint supplement and the people who have used it says it works on thier dogs with arthritis my mom even uses it for her dog. So sorry to hear your dog has arthritis it is so sad to see your pets in pain.

jennie4pc said:
My Dh works at a place called IFA (Intermountain Farmers Association) and they sell something called next level joint supplement and the people who have used it says it works on thier dogs with arthritis my mom even uses it for her dog. So sorry to hear your dog has arthritis it is so sad to see your pets in pain.

i've heard there is something out there that they use on horses and dogs

and put her/him on a diet it will help

I should have mentioned this before, the dog is on a diet, has been for about 9 months. He actually is about 2 inches taller than the standard lab and started at 135 pounds a year ago. He's lost 15 pounds in the past 9 months. Vet feels he should lose about another 12 based on his large frame.

When you say "something they use on horses"...do you mean a rub or a pill, or what?

the next level I believe is a liquid. I am sure if you went into a farming store they will be able to help you get some stuff.

c'mon people!!Oh, boy do I need some words of wisdom/experience! To copy Colleen, I do believe there has been another alien abduction......except this time it seems to be my WHOLE team!! UGH!!! I know that it is hard for some to transition to getting back into the swing of things after the holidays, but almost my whole team has become unresponsive! I need help big time!
I cannot get them on the phone, so I've tried emails and still no response, even from my most promising/productive performers. How do you manage the no repsonse without becoming annoying? TIA

I think the aliens took them all.... they might have even gotten me!

I am having the same problem with my team right now. I just got off the phone with my ED, her answer was, you know this is the same thing that happens every year. I have been trying to tell my team just how hot Jan and Feb can be, but they aren't listening!
I wish I had an answer for you. I am just hoping that my excitment from Leadership will help jump start them.

They only got 1/2 of my team, but that is bad enough!!! Here is the email I sent out in my weekly update - hoping this challenge will spur some motivation! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!! Pamper Your Business Team Challenge --

Complete the following during the month of January for pampering prizes! All must be completed (and submitted to HO if applicable) by January 31st!

Expand your KNOW-HOW

Complete one of the following Online Training Classes (on Consultants Corner) and get one entry for each class completed in a drawing for a manicure and a pedicure:

1. Achieving Your Goals

2. Prospecting: Finding Business Everywhere

3. Host Coaching: A Partnership for Success

4. Your Cooking Show

5. Sharing the Opportunity

6. Customer Care

7. The Recruiting Interview

8. Recruiting: From Invitation to the Interview

Be "GRATE" in 2008

Have the highest team sales of $1000 or more for the month of January and get a gift certificate for a 30 minute massage

Share your dream

Sponsor a new consultant on your team and get a $20 Bath and Body Works Gift Card when that consultant qualifies! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spa stuff is a great idea!

almondfarm said:
They only got 1/2 of my team, but that is bad enough!!! Here is the email I sent out in my weekly update - hoping this challenge will spur some motivation! :)

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!! Pamper Your Business Team Challenge --

Complete the following during the month of January for pampering prizes! All must be completed (and submitted to HO if applicable) by January 31st!

Expand your KNOW-HOW

Complete one of the following Online Training Classes (on Consultants Corner) and get one entry for each class completed in a drawing for a manicure and a pedicure:

1. Achieving Your Goals

2. Prospecting: Finding Business Everywhere

3. Host Coaching: A Partnership for Success

4. Your Cooking Show

5. Sharing the Opportunity

6. Customer Care

7. The Recruiting Interview

8. Recruiting: From Invitation to the Interview

Be "GRATE" in 2008

Have the highest team sales of $1000 or more for the month of January and get a gift certificate for a 30 minute massage

Share your dream

Sponsor a new consultant on your team and get a $20 Bath and Body Works Gift Card when that consultant qualifies! :)

ooohhh, I LOVE that!! :love0010:Not quite sure I can afford it, I may have to modify it, but I'm definitely going to be using it! Thanks so much!!

I am doing the manicure and pedicure at the local beauty school to save costs and then only 1 massage gift certificate for the highest sales, so that should run about $60 total for me I plan to use me production bonus for it.

And the bath & body are when the new consultant qualifies, so will have some overrides to cover those :)

I am hoping it gets some of my girls going!

What a great idea!! I have a friend who is a massage therapist - I bet I cuold get him to work a deal for me!! I may have to try this!!!

dannyzmom said:
What a great idea!! I have a friend who is a massage therapist - I bet I cuold get him to work a deal for me!! I may have to try this!!!

Make sure you let him know that you are sending him new blood, so it would be in his interest to give you a good deal. Hopefully they will keep coming back! :money:

almondfarm said:
I am doing the manicure and pedicure at the local beauty school to save costs and then only 1 massage gift certificate for the highest sales, so that should run about $60 total for me I plan to use me production bonus for it.

And the bath & body are when the new consultant qualifies, so will have some overrides to cover those :)

I am hoping it gets some of my girls going!

I totally forgot about the schools - we have a pretty descent one around here too!

so, what else has worked for experienced directors, fill the newbies in!!!

amy07 said:
I totally forgot about the schools - we have a pretty descent one around here too!

so, what else has worked for experienced directors, fill the newbies in!!!

I'm not too experienced by far, but this year we have started a ticket system. We told everyone about it at the last meeting and they seemed excited. They will get tickets every month for attending the meetings, $1000 show, 4+ shows per month, recruiting, etc. Each thing has a specific # of tickets that it is worth. The catch is that they have to actually come to the meeting to get the tickets (I know this doesn't work for far away consultants, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it). They can redeem the tickets for items from the Director store or supplies...lots of different things. The tickets are about the equivalent to about fifty cents a piece.

Hey Beth did you ever get anything figured out for your doggie?

I think maybe I'll run a spa month promo sometime. Although I have 2 guys- so i'll have to think of an alternate for them.

Happy Chef said:
I think maybe I'll run a spa month promo sometime. Although I have 2 guys- so i'll have to think of an alternate for them.

My DH loves getting massages, so maybe they may take a GC if it wasn't to a "spa"?

Related to Managing Arthritis in Your Senior Dog: Tips and Advice for a Happier Life

1. What are some signs that my senior dog may have arthritis?

Some common signs of arthritis in senior dogs include limping or favoring a certain leg, difficulty getting up or down, stiffness or reluctance to move, and a decrease in overall activity and energy levels. You may also notice your dog having trouble jumping or climbing stairs, and potentially changes in behavior such as irritability or decreased appetite.

2. How can I manage my senior dog's arthritis at home?

There are several ways to manage arthritis in your senior dog at home, including providing a warm and comfortable sleeping area, using non-slip flooring to prevent falls, and providing joint supplements or medications as recommended by your veterinarian. Additionally, low-impact exercise such as swimming or short walks can help keep your dog's joints moving and strengthen their muscles.

3. Are there any dietary changes I should make for my senior dog with arthritis?

Yes, there are certain dietary changes that can help manage arthritis in senior dogs. Look for foods that are specifically formulated for joint health, such as those containing glucosamine and chondroitin. You may also want to consider adding omega-3 fatty acids to your dog's diet, as they have anti-inflammatory properties that can help with arthritis symptoms.

4. Can I still play with my senior dog who has arthritis?

Yes, it is important to continue engaging in gentle play and exercise with your senior dog who has arthritis. It is important to avoid high-impact activities that may aggravate their joints, but gentle activities such as short walks or light play sessions can help keep their joints moving and maintain muscle strength.

5. When should I take my senior dog with arthritis to the vet?

If you suspect that your senior dog may have arthritis, it is important to take them to the vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. You should also schedule a visit if you notice any sudden changes in their symptoms or if they seem to be in significant pain. Your vet can also provide guidance on managing your dog's arthritis and adjusting their treatment plan as needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jwagner75
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShanaSmith
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
  • pampchefrhondab