• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Overwhelm: Tips for Balancing Business and Life

In summary, the author is busy juggling a lot of responsibilities at once, and recommends setting realistic goals and working towards them slowly and steadily.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I need some tips and advice. I am feeling overwhelmed with my PC business and life. Here's what is on my plate and takes up my time:

• I am kicking-up my business - which involves more time on the phone, computer, shows, office & paper work.....you know the routine
  • DS is in Kindergarten. I help out in his class when I can. For those of you who do not know this - Kindergarteners have homework :eek: and it seems like we can never get around to it until after dinner and by then he is tired and feisty. We are trying to set a schedule though - he gets home @ 3:00, play time until @ 5:00 then do homework while I work on dinner, dinner by 6:30 and then bath, a little bit of TV and read before he goes to bed. DS also goes to extra classes at school for speech and reading so we are working with him more at home on the reading part.
  • I spend the day with my granny once every week or so (3 hour round trip drive)
  • Several months ago we took ownership of my mom's dogs, this has been more work and frusteration than I imagined it would be. We put in an electric fence, but they don't mind the shock (actually, I think they like it!) so I cannot leave them outside unattended. They are Border Collies so thed NEED to be outside. We are planing a 'real fence', but that probably won't happen before spring.
  • I go to the gym a couple of mornings each week so that takes 2-3 hours of away from home time.
  • I do some volunteer work for my homeowners association.
  • I have a large house that takes time to keep clean. I do have a cleaning lady once a month, but she mostly does the bathrooms and dusting type stuff. With the dogs and DS I have to vaccum the hardwood floors every other day. And, I just can't seem to get rid of the clutter! PC clutter, mail clutter, toy clutter (DS has a play room, but it is upstairs and when he is alone he likes to be downstairs with us), DH's clutter.....it's getting on my nerves too (I really can't complain too much b/c some of it is mine)
  • We are doing a few renovations in the house - which adds to the clutter and disarray.
  • Misc duties: cook dinner, dishes, laundry, grocery, chauffer, maid, mommy, wife....."Wonder Woman"
  • DH travels 3-4 days a week, he helps out when he's home so I can't really complain about him not helping.

Help me get my life and business in order please!

Thanks, any and all tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Okay I typed up a nice long reply but the internet was acting funny and I lost it. Basically I was suggesting setting a schedule for yourself. If a schedule can help your son, it can help you too. Schedule actual "office hours" to help with your business. Power hours or 15 minute time increments help really well. See if you can find one of those "Mom Calendar", gives you spaces every week to include everyone from the household and write their schedule in daily. That way, if it's on the calendar, it may help you keep track better.

Either that or find a way to put more hours in to the day!

I need to take a nap Linda:) Just kidding - I know how you feel - I get that overwhelmed feeling too - and all 3 of my kids are in school full time! I still am waiting for the cleaning fairy to visit my house! I have one suggestion in regards to your son's homework. This is how I do it - the kids get home after school and get to have a snack and then they get right to homework! That way we don't have to do it after dinner - when it's more chaotic due to playing their instruments and taking showers. And also that way I know the homework is done and out of the way - when it's nice outside - we play at the school playground after school - come home and have a snack and get right to homework.

As far as clutter - if you figure anything out - let me know - this is one of my weaknesses!

oh, do I feel your pain Linda!! It's funny, cause when you work at home it is too easy to stop what you are doing to start a load of laundry, load the dishwasher, etc.

I agree that a schedule is essential. My problem is that I do not adhere to my own schedule very well. I do pretty good with the calling times, but even those have been slacking lately. I look forward to hearing other's tips. Organization is a HUGE obstacle for me to overcome, I'm a "piler" so my work area is now is such a disaster that I avoid going there.:yuck: :yuck:

amy07 said:
oh, do I feel your pain Linda!! It's funny, cause when you work at home it is too easy to stop what you are doing to start a load of laundry, load the dishwasher, etc.

I agree that a schedule is essential. My problem is that I do not adhere to my own schedule very well. I do pretty good with the calling times, but even those have been slacking lately. I look forward to hearing other's tips. Organization is a HUGE obstacle for me to overcome, I'm a "piler" so my work area is now is such a disaster that I avoid going there.:yuck: :yuck:

That describes me to a Tee!

Sorry Linda - I can't offer much advice - but I can totally relate!

The problem is that the people with answers on being organized, have those answers because they are organized in the first place......and I'm not sure they "get" some of us with less structured personalities!

Wow! I am tired after reading about your schedule!I second the homework after school bit, I did that as a kid (though we did not get as much homework "back then") Use a timer for your son's homework. Set it in 10 or 15 minute increments, to help both of you focus.Prioritize? Do you like all that you do? Is there somewhere you can cut back on? Run with the dogs instead of hitting the gym, or start teaching them agility. This apparently requires the owner to run, too, and would be a great way for your and your son to get some of his runnies out in the afternoon.Clutter? I have been working on that all my life. I use FlyLady, and love the 27-fling Boogie. Find 27 things to get rid of as often as you want. Get your son involved, too, and he will learn to help out and keep things organized and running smoothly.Good luck, it is often hard to say no to things and maintain balance, isn't it.Robin

I spend the day with my granny once every week or so (3 hour round trip drive)

I can't offer much advice on the rest because my life seems to be the same but I'm so glad you get to do this. Even if some other things fall to the wayside, take advantage of time with your granny whenever you can. I wish mine was still here so I could be able to spend time with her. There are times I feel so sad because I miss her so much. 8 years later and I still cry when I think or talk about her. One of the things I wish most is I had asked her things about when she was little. You just don't think of it at the time but later you realize they were around during indian raids or prohibition or whatever happened during that time in history. It's pretty cool. :)

I agree on the homework, our rule when the kids were growing up was change your uniform while mom makes your snack. They did homework while I prepared dinner then when it is finished they could play or we went to practices.
My kids have always showered in the morning.I can't stand clutter I only want pretty things around me so i let my OCD kick into overdrive to keep everything picked up.. We do have a hanging file folders in a plastic file (not the lidded type) where we each have a folder I put the daily mail in it for everyone to check their folders. It was fun for the kids when they would get postcards or Zoo magazine, Highlights, Ranger Rick, Disney magazine etc. (Do they still print those?) In the back of each folder is a folder closed on the side (not accordian) and I keep important papers etc in it.The kids used to have plastic drawers in their closets (organizing containers are so much cooler now) when they were to little to read I used a sticker to help them identify which drawer or bin the toys went in. Worked great for all the barbie stuff for my daughter. Don't give up the time with your granny or the gym I wish I still had a granny alive to visit (or our families close by for that matter) & dedication to go to the gym.Above all, remember your time with your son passes so quickly. Before you know it you'll be dropping him off at middle school, then the next time his college dorm. About the time the heartache has "eased", we are preparing to send the next one this fall.

I agree with Gina about the homework. Get it done ASAP or skip it. Kindergarten is not the time to be stressing about homework. Just let the teacher know by a very quick note or e-mail that you didn't get to it. No explanation needed. He's in kindergarten!
I heard a great tip about something called The Power Hour. Four blocks of 15 minutes. Pick four of the most important things you want to do every day. (This should coincide with your goals, which you may want to write down if you haven't already.) Set the timer, and do only that 1/4 thing for 15 minutes. Then the next and the next and the next. This is every day and if cleaning isn't in the top four don't do it during your Power Hour. You still clean, but you still clean. It just doesn't have to be scheduled. You clean when it fits in or do laundry when it fits in. If you have a high goal of having a clean house or laundry always done then put it in your Power Hour.
I think my Power Hour would include:
Praying
Bible Study
Organizing my PC stuff
Scrapbooking
I would still exercise every day, and I do it right away (sort of) after my kids leave for school. Laundry gets done here and there. Cleaning happens sporadically. BUT the things I really want are (should be) worked on during the Power Hour. I really need to take my own advice.
Reward yourself with Chef Success after your Power Hour is finished, and set the timer before you get on!

Gina M said:
This is how I do it - the kids get home after school and get to have a snack and then they get right to homework! That way we don't have to do it after dinner

I guess I haven't done this b/c he gets home @ 3:00 and after being in school all day I want him to be able to enjoy some of the afternoon.

amy07 said:

EXACTLY!!! I need more discipline.
ChefBeckyD said:
That describes me to a Tee!

Sorry Linda - I can't offer much advice - but I can totally relate!

The problem is that the people with answers on being organized, have those answers because they are organized in the first place......and I'm not sure they "get" some of us with less structured personalities!
'
Hopefully some of them will help us! I am very good at organizing other people's things - just not my own.

priscilla said:
Use a timer for your son's homework. Set it in 10 or 15 minute increments, to help both of you focus......Run with the dogs instead of hitting the gym, or start teaching them agility. ......I use FlyLady, and love the 27-fling Boogie. ...Good luck, it is often hard to say no to things and maintain balance, isn't it.

Great idea @ the timer.....I don't run :yuck: ....I need to check out the fly lady.....I do have a problem saying 'no'
RebelChef said:
...... take advantage of time with your granny whenever you can.
Most definatley! She is 90 and I love spending time with her!

Try the 15 minutes of homework right after school. (might need a snack before/during).

If you are struggling with clutter, consider a professional organizer. I have used one and it made a huge difference in my life. My mind just doesn't work "that way" on it's own. (plus my keep everything parents moved and filled my home with anything and everything they didn't want to take with them (think wire egg dippers, underwear that was mine before I was 10 -- and I could not throw it away before they left. "I could have given that to your brother!!!")

You are not alone in your feelings. (3 kids 11, 7, 18months) 6 dance lessons, boy scouts, girl scouts, piano lessons, toddler music class -- sometimes there is a sport.

Look for way to be more efficient (headset for the phone so you can make calls while doing housework -- if someone picks up you would have to stop. But I get more answering machines than people.)

You are on the right track. Busy, but with the right priorites. Take a deep breath and smile to yourself. It might seem hectic, but you can do it.

I missed the homework part but I agree with everyone else. Giving him two hours to play after school may get him out of school mode. You should get him to do his homework while his brain may still be thinking about school. Then let him play after he's done and while your fixing dinner. That way if you need to help him with anything, your not burning dinner on the stove top! Trust me, as he grows up, you'll want him to get into this habit. Otherwise, when he's a teenager, you'll be fighting him at 10 p.m. every night to do his homework.

Linda,
I enjoy cleaning but my best friend hates it so she asked me for tips the other day.
My suggestion to her was start the first load of laundry ASAP in the morning (we both have 2 big hot water heaters) I do it every day regardless when I'm in a hurry I put toilet cleaner & shower cleaner in all bathrooms I then rush off to dust or do other cleaning or make that quick trip to the bank.
when i come back its ready to be swished and rinsed. I keep all cleaning supplies in each bathroom so I don't have to carry them around. I tried flylady but felt compelled to always check my emails to read the newest one

I have to agree with everyone else on the homework part. Do it when he first gets home. My son has ADHD and if I let him play first he won't focus. We not only get a homework sheet but we also have to read every night. I used to say that the homework sheet needed to be done right away and the reading could be done right before bed... well that didn't work either becuase sure enough we would always forget to read. I now have him do his homework and read as soon as he gets home. It has worked really well and we spend less time doing it.

As far as organization... I am sort of organized but could use help here too. I would like all my PC stuff in one place. Right now it is in a file box and one file drawer of the filing cabinet and also two drawers of plastic 3 drawer thing. (And that is just the paperwork!)

Linda~

Lots of good suggestions here...I have to add about the homework thing too. When DS (13 now) gets home (this has always been the "rule") he is able to get a snack, and veg out for THIRTY MINUTES. This gives him a break and rest after school, but then he must do his homework and chores. NO COMPUTER TIME (his favorite thing to do) until all of that is done. He can take his shower after dinner.

Other than that, you have gotten some super answers! I am ready to lay back down in bed after reading all that you are doing!

I agree with the PP, maybe you need to sit down and see what you REALLY want/need to be doing. Schedule for YOU, FAMILY, BUSINESS and then add in the other things. Perhaps you are spread a bit too thin. Can your volunteering time be cut back or cut out for this time in your life?

Remember, just because something is "good" doesn't mean it's good for you to do right now! That's a hard thing for us Mom's to grasp. Learn to say "no thank you", or "no that won't work for me" when folks are asking you to do something. No further explanation is needed for them!

Hope any or all of our posts will help you through this. I know the feeling of being overwhelmed! It's easy for our lives to get overfilled with activities!

My kids are the worst about procrastinating on homework. I've always required them to do it when they get home, right after a snack. The older they get, the more excuses they find! But, the schools just seem to be insane with it sometimes. Other times they'll go weeks without. If they do it as soon as they get home, it seems to go faster than if they wait around to do it. And they're not as tired so they don't whine as much which is a big plus. Just this morning my son told me he'd forgotten to study his vocabulary words for a test. :grumpy:

I'm not one to stick to a strict schedule. I had to do that when I worked outside the home and hated it. I make a list of what I hope to accomplish and work on it as I can. The clutter gets taken care of a little at a time, the cleaning and laundry when it needs it. I'm not a neat freak because my mom was and drove us crazy with it growing up but the kitchen, bathrooms and living room get the most attention. I like things to look nice and orderly but I don't require that you can eat off the floors. The kids are responsible for their own rooms and messes. Yours isn't old enough for that yet but get him into the habit now or it'll be a fight from here on out! It takes a threat of death to get my daughter to clean hers and it gets so tiring arguing with her. My son, on the other hand, isn't really a neat freak but he's forever rearranging his room so it gets cleaned pretty often when he does that. For twins, they are total opposites.

My opinion on it all is you have to figure out what works best for you. What works for one may not work for another. We all have priorities and just have to give them the correct order in our lives. Some people are naturally organized and some aren't. My mom was, I'm not so much (except, strangely enough, my PC stuff). I may not like it but I accept it and do what I can to change it but I don't stress over it. My motto lately is to enjoy life...it goes by way too fast to worry about the bs. ;)

Sorry I can't be of much help. My life is always busy too! Unfortunately it doesn't get any better when your kids get older!! Believe me I wish I could go back to when my first was in Kindergarten!

I'm always working on trying to organize! I have a small house so we don't have a lot of room for clutter. I give away things we don't use for the past year. My two daughters share a small room and closet so it's much nicer now that they don't play w/toys. They just need room for their clothes now so it's much better. They are 17 and 15. My son has his own room and now is 13. He is also getting away from toys and mostly likes video games.

One problem with them getting older is a lot more laundry! I have 4 to 5 loads a day. One for darks, one for lights, one for towels and then another for swim towels (they are all three in swimming) and then an occasional delicate cycle, rugs, etc. My husband tried to tell me to just put their swimming towels in the dryer, but the school they attend had a skin bacterial infection going around last fall so I don't want to take a chance!

They also make more of a mess of the house when they get older. You don't follow them around like you do when they are little. They will go in the bathroom, close the door and then it looks like a tornado went through! I have to work with them all the time to pick up their stuff. Sometimes their schedules are so busy though I do some of it for them. For example my daughters leave at 6:45 a.m. and don't get home until after 9 p.m. two nights a week when they have a swim meet. The other days they have pracitce and don't get home until 6 p.m. Of course then I have to go to the swim meets two nights a week as well. I sometimes don't go to the away meets if they are far away (over an hour).

The cooking also gets harder because they eat more! You also have to shop a lot more because you run out of food, toilet paper, laundry soap, etc. sooner.

I'm lucky my husband does do most of the homework help w/the kids, but this is how I try to organize my day:

6 a.m. - up w/the kids and get them off to school - start laundry.
7 a.m. - start working on reading email, organizing host packets, filing, paying bills, put supper in slow cooker whenever possible!
9 a.m. - pick up the house, make beds, run the vacuum, dust if needed.
10 a.m. - get in shower to get ready for work
11 a.m. - leave for my day job outside of the house 30-45 min. drive - Listen to radio or PC training tapes.
5:30- 6 p.m. - Arrive home - have dinner, clean up, go to swim meet or work my PC business - either a show or calling people.
My schedule is a little different on show nights, I have to leave work a little sooner and get home about 9 - 9:30 p.m. Then do all the dishes from my show (don't like to do them at host home).
Some nights I stop by the store on the way home.
I have a dog as well and a cat so I'm always cleaning up after them too.
I usually read Chef Success after the kids go to bed after 10 p.m. I also try to read some in the morning if I have time. I like to keep up w/PC news and help.

The biggest help is just to keep up w/clutter, work every day! I was sick for 4 days last week so I'm a little behind this week. I did put my daughters to work on Tuesday cleaning for me because they didn't have school, but they don't do as good of job as I do. I just have to live w/it sometimes.

Another big help is to get dinner done in the morning. If you need to limit how much you help in your son's class, then that is what I would do. It just depends on your priorities because the clutter and mess are always going to be there no matter how much time you spend on the house. I have found the more I do the less my family does and then I really drive myself crazy!

Sorry this is long, but I want you to try to enjoy these days w/your son. They will go fast!

Last edited:
I always let my son run around after school for about 1/2 hour at a park on the way home. He'd been sitting all day and had pent-up energy, so snack at a park got rid of a lot of it. Bad weather days were always a little harder.
Now that he's older, we come right home & he has a snack and does homework.
But homework has to be done before dinner.

Don't get rid of the gym - you need to keep your energy level up!

I'd drop the volunteering for the HO assoc and get rid of the dogs, if you haven't fallen in love with them.

I'd keep the volunteering at son's school - I did this too and got to know what his classmates were like.

Take my advice, I'm not using it!

Here is an interesting book excerpt
http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/ArticleView_doesthisclutter
Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?
by Peter Walsh

Take my advice, I'm not using it!

Isn't it funny how many of us do that? We tell what we should do then discount it with...if I could only follow through or it works but I don't stick to it or something similar. :rolleyes:

FYI - there is an Oprah show on today with Peter Walsh all about clutter - I'm going to watch it right now!

I wish our Oprah was on in the morning. It's on at 4 right when we get home from school and homework should be starting. I'll watch it today. It's a snow day. No homework.

Office HoursOne thing I am trying really hard to do is have PC Office Hours - specific hours/day that you do PC. Specific hour I do workout, etc. Sometimes it's hard to stick to, but it should help some. B

order Collies are very very smart dogs - perhaps a training course to remind them of the rules would be helpful. Kids can help with dogs and with cleaning up. My girls LOVE to swiffer and vacuum (they are almost 5 and 7).

Learn to say No. that's a hard one for me, for sure.

I also volunteer - but kind of differently - every year, I and some friends participate in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer (we fundraise a minimum of $2,000 each so we can walk 60 km in 2 days throughout our city). It's fun, but the fundraising takes a lot of time.

My other way of "volunteering" is I donate PC prizes to other's people's events, and for every person who holds their own PC Fundraiser show for the Weekend, I donate my commission for that show. I do good things, but it's not all my time, as I do work 20 - 30 hrs/week for my brother.

I also schedule "me" time - I lock the door to the bathroom and soak in the tub - sometimes with a DVD and headphones! Relax and breathe and enjoy the view.:balloon:

I'm right there with ya Linda! You've gotten some great tips though. I'm going to watch that Oprah today too; there's a channel here that replays the day's show at 9pm, so if kids get to bed on time it works well for me!
I would agree with seeing what you might be able to cut back on or eliminate, if it's not family related it's not #1 in my book! I've been trying harder to say "no" too; between 2 kids, housework, PC, being PTO treasurer-Girl Scout leader-church kids club teacher; I'm about maxxed out too. Not being organized is my worst enemy.
I do think that letting the kids have their after school snack, & about 30 minutes of down-time, then DO the homework; works well for us. On days that we have dance, my dd does it while I'm cooking supper. If we slack & wait till after supper, then the rest of the evening is hurried. (happened last night!)
Take a deep breath:)

JAE said:
Get it done ASAP or skip it. Kindergarten is not the time to be stressing about homework. Just let the teacher know by a very quick note or e-mail that you didn't get to it. No explanation needed. He's in kindergarten!

I heard a great tip about something called The Power Hour. Four blocks of 15minutes.

Seems like we all have a lot on our schedules no matter how old our children are, if we have children, if we work or if we stay home. The secret is finding a schedule that will work for you!

On your son's homework, I suggest getting it done right away as well. I wouldn't skip it as suggested above because that might start a bad habit. And by the way, my daughter has homework and she is in preschool!!:eek:

The Power Hour is great! :D I have used this successfully for years! I learned it from Belinda Elsworth, so if you have any of her CDs it should be on there. It is suggested that you have the same power hour each day. I actually have a 2 hour power hour due to being to being a Director as Belinda suggests. My categories are Host coaching, Customer Care, Recruit Leads, Booking Calls, Paperwork (print receipts, make host packets etc), Team calls (30 minutes), Clean up (last category of the day, to use 15 minutes to clear off my dest before the next day or schedule the next day). Now, if I only have 1 host coaching call to make, I can use the rest of my 15 minutes preparing my list for the next day of host coaching. The important thing is to use the folders suggested. (I will look in my files and see if I have anything on it.) I remember discussing this long, long ago on here.

I don't have a power hour for personal things I want to do, it would be nice to schedule in scrapbooking!!! :D But I am like the typical mom, I do things for everyone else first and what time is left...is for me...and lately it hasn't been any!!:) :)

Last edited:
Here is the only thing I could find in my files....The Power Hour
The secret to a consistent and growing business.

The Power Hour is a great tool for you to apply to your business! Imagine running a successful business on one hour a day! Put one hour of "power" into your business daily (Monday through Friday), in addition to your show schedule, will provide you with a consistent show schedule. This is only a 13 hour commitment per week -- with a 2 shows per week schedule! Here's how it works:

The Power Hour
COMMIT to one hour of the day. Make sure that it is uninterruptible time! Train yourself to set a timer and be disciplined to start and stop on time. Train your family that this is your work time. The time frames below are flexible, but make sure to spend some time on each topic.

1st 15 Minutes - Work with hostesses.
Place three five minute calls to Book Shows, Hostess Coach and Close Shows. Fill out the Hostess Information Card as you work. Using a "tickler file" will help you keep organized.

2nd 15 Minutes - Work with Cluster Members (or Cluster Members to be!)
Do three five minute calls to three recruits or prospective recruits. Make sure to record your calls and the results on your Recruit Information Card.

Last 30 Minutes - Service the people you have called.
Prepare hostess packets, show folders, recruiting packets or complete paperwork to send to the Home Office or your Director. Look at your show schedule for the week and analyze if you have any uncompleted tasks to prepare for them. Call your recruiter or Director once a month and let them know how you are doing and if you need help on any specific topic.

That's all there is! Can you fit an hour into your day? Of course you can! Try it for one month, and you'll be amazed at the growth and difference in your business.

Here are some tasks that will streamline using The Power Hour.

You may want to project the quantities of paperwork you will need for the number of shows you plan to do over the summer months (IE: 8 shows per month for 3 months=24 shows) and order enough paperwork ahead of time.
Enlist the help of a family member or a neighborhood teen who would like to make a couple of dollars. You don't have to do it all yourself!
Stamp all paperwork as it is received.
Prepare all hostess and recruiting packets at one time.
Set up four manilla envelopes. Mark:
Bookings
Customer Care Calls
Recruiting Leads
Recruits
Rotate each day what topic you will target.
Going to National Conference will teach you some great tips to make your Power Hour more powerful!

kspry said:
I always let my son run around after school for about 1/2 hour at a park on the way home. He'd been sitting all day and had pent-up energy, so snack at a park got rid of a lot of it. Bad weather days were always a little harder.
Now that he's older, we come right home & he has a snack and does homework.
But homework has to be done before dinner.Don't get rid of the gym - you need to keep your energy level up! I'd drop the volunteering for the HO assoc and get rid of the dogs, if you haven't fallen in love with them.

I'd keep the volunteering at son's school - I did this too and got to know what his classmates were like.Take my advice, I'm not using it!Here is an interesting book excerpt
http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/ArticleView_doesthisclutter
Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?
by Peter Walsh
I saw her pictures of them...awww....I really think she'd have a hard time with that! How old are they now Linda? Our border collie/samoyed mix dogs are 6 1/2. They are JUST finally starting to settle down. One started about a year ago settling but he has lupus and HAS to behave better - body can't keep up....and whoever said Border Collies were smart? My two must have gotten the Samoyed genes then because they are SOOOO ditzy! DH nicknamed them "Dumb and Dumber". They are the sweetest, most gentle dogs in the entire world though! :) Once in awhile, Maverick sneaks in a few "smart genes" - Sinjin, we'll he's just himself...

Thanks, Gina - I am going to try to catch Oprah today.

kspry said:
Thanks, Gina - I am going to try to catch Oprah today.

You're welcome:)! I just watched it and was inspired to do my cleaning of my own - so I listened while I cleaned - my boys closet was a pit and now it's neat and organized! Just have to clear the rest off their floor! Oh the joys of living in a small house:)

I disagree that skipping homework in kindergarten creates bad habits. My kids would have no clue that they were skipping homework at that age. I think it's a good message to send to the teachers.

It's amazing the things they are learning in school----WAY earlier than when I was in school! My dd comes home with fractions, multiplying & dividing, social studies, science, & learning cursive.....and she's in 3rd grade.:rolleyes: For some kids it works okay (I feel lucky), but others don't catch on so quick & it really hurts them.

wadesgirl said:
Okay I typed up a nice long reply but the internet was acting funny and I lost it. Basically I was suggesting setting a schedule for yourself. If a schedule can help your son, it can help you too. Schedule actual "office hours" to help with your business. Power hours or 15 minute time increments help really well. See if you can find one of those "Mom Calendar", gives you spaces every week to include everyone from the household and write their schedule in daily. That way, if it's on the calendar, it may help you keep track better.

Either that or find a way to put more hours in to the day![/QUOTE]

And when you find out how to do this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!

I went to the gym this morning, took a pilates class today...darn near as hard as the yoga I did on Tuesday! I have determined that I am NOT a limber person! Then ran errands and spent about an hour at Michael's - love that store.

I practiced saying the word "no" so I will be prepared the next time someone asks me to 'help out'. I am not going to give-up anything right now, but I do need to be more scheduled and less procrastinating.

DS is not going to like having his routine changed, but I guess he will get used to it. His homework really doesn't take that long to do and I'd be very happy to have it out of the way.

The dogs....Yes, I too thought that Border Collies were smart dogs. One is very smart, and the other is well lets call her 'emotional'. Thankfully they are extremely obedient dogs - when I'm with them that is. I talked to the vet about the invisible fence thing. According to her some dogs just don't care about the shock and just my luck Border Collies are one of them....hooray :rolleyes: . DH is planning the fence and is going to look at pricing next week.

Thanks for all of your help.

Oh and for kspry.....Love your advice phrase! I've got lots of advice to givr that I'm not using either! :cool:

pamperedlinda said:

I went to the gym this morning, took a pilates class today...darn near as hard as the yoga I did on Tuesday! I have determined that I am NOT a limber person! Then ran errands and spent about an hour at Michael's - love that store.

I practiced saying the word "no" so I will be prepared the next time someone asks me to 'help out'. I am not going to give-up anything right now, but I do need to be more scheduled and less procrastinating.

DS is not going to like having his routine changed, but I guess he will get used to it. His homework really doesn't take that long to do and I'd be very happy to have it out of the way.

The dogs....Yes, I too thought that Border Collies were smart dogs. One is very smart, and the other is well lets call her 'emotional'. Thankfully they are extremely obedient dogs - when I'm with them that is. I talked to the vet about the invisible fence thing. According to her some dogs just don't care about the shock and just my luck Border Collies are one of them....hooray :rolleyes: . DH is planning the fence and is going to look at pricing next week.

Oh and for kspry.....Love your advice phrase! I've got lots of advice to givr that I'm not using either! :cool:

Yes, Linda - since I work at one of those "companies" :D we tried the electric fence too. It didn't work unless they WANTED to obey. Otherwise they'd take a deliberate run through. It's the Border Collie in them wanting to run.

It's either a fence or chain. Fence is preferred by most people.

They are SUCH gentle dogs though, aren't they???? :D

Good luck getting better with your schedule. It is just a matter of stepping back and MAKING it work for you. Routines help. If I have a week with a ton of added stuff I get less productive sometimes and overwhelmed. If I scheduled all the extra stuff though, life is good. :)

lacychef said:
It's amazing the things they are learning in school----WAY earlier than when I was in school! My dd comes home with fractions, multiplying & dividing, social studies, science, & learning cursive.....and she's in 3rd grade.:rolleyes: For some kids it works okay (I feel lucky), but others don't catch on so quick & it really hurts them.
I remember learning all that in 3rd grade. Hated cursive, still do! My neice is in 2nd grade and is mad at her teacher because instead of learning addition and then subtraction, they are learning them together. She will get most of her homework correct then a few she'll do the opposite thing and it makes her miss some! It was so cute to hear her complain about it!:yuck:

Printing is K & 1st here, cursive is 2nd grade.Counting and counting in groups is K.
Adding and subtracting and counting money in 1st grade.Science already in K and 1st.
In K they raised ladybugs and studied them.
In 1st DD has already been doing weather.By the end of K, they are already reading with over 100 sight words and basic books.
By end of 1st they are already starting chapter books.Everything is about 1 year ahead of when I remember learning it.

janetupnorth said:
....Everything is about 1 year ahead of when I remember learning it.
DS's teacher has been teaching for 16 years. She was telling me that what they are teaching Kindergarteners now is what she was originally teaching to 1st graders. Everything is much more fast-paced these days.....sadly!:(

pamperedlinda said:
DS's teacher has been teaching for 16 years. She was telling me that what they are teaching Kindergarteners now is what she was originally teaching to 1st graders. Everything is much more fast-paced these days.....sadly!:(
Yeah, and I PURPOSELY kept DD on a slower pace - didn't push with anything at home, didn't send her to preschool...she is still the top of her class. I figured she'd be like mom and be in school most of her life, why rush it?Now, DS (age 4) bugged me so long and persistently to teach him to read that we started that. He has 1 1/2 years before kindergarten and is dying NOT being able to learn. He is going to drive me crazy! He already does 100 piece puzzles by himself!!! (Just started puzzles around December). We did a 1000 piece together in 2 nights recently and he did about 1/3 to 1/2 the work (partially because Mom could use some bifocals to see those small pieces!!!) :rolleyes:

pamperedlinda said:

funny you say this I just this morning had to say NO to someone and afterwards I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I just can't put anything more on my plate right now. But I felt so proud ;) I was in the car talking to myself saying you did it !! you said NO !! lol
I am taking in all the advice everyone has given you because your days seem as hectic as mine (minus the cleaning lady :) )

p.s. DS is only in kindergarten , he may not mind the change as much as he would if he was older.

reba515 said:
funny you say this I just this morning had to say NO to someone and afterwards I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I just can't put anything more on my plate right now. But I felt so proud ;) I was in the car talking to myself saying you did it !! you said NO !! lol
I am taking in all the advice everyone has given you because your days seem as hectic as mine (minus the cleaning lady :) )

Good job on saying no!

Robin

Gina M said:
I need to take a nap Linda:) Just kidding - I know how you feel - I get that overwhelmed feeling too - and all 3 of my kids are in school full time! I still am waiting for the cleaning fairy to visit my house! I have one suggestion in regards to your son's homework. This is how I do it - the kids get home after school and get to have a snack and then they get right to homework! That way we don't have to do it after dinner - when it's more chaotic due to playing their instruments and taking showers. And also that way I know the homework is done and out of the way - when it's nice outside - we play at the school playground after school - come home and have a snack and get right to homework.

As far as clutter - if you figure anything out - let me know - this is one of my weaknesses!
I do the same thing with DD and she's been in school for 6 hours! But at least she gets her snack break then on to homework! I still can't get over that my Kindergarten daughter has homework every night plus reading assignments on top of that!:eek: Gone were the days of playtime in Kindergarten, from what I remember of it!

pamperedlinda said:
Yep, our teacher has 21 years of 1st grade teaching exp. then swithced to K grade and said the exact same thing on Open house night!

They seem to be more than a year ahead than we were. I was proctoring a 9th grade math class at our school and it was the same thing I'd taken in college. The teacher saw my surprised look and said yep, same as we learned after high school. I know my kids are learning government already and they're only in 6th grade. I didn't have it until 12th. At this rate, we'll need master's degrees to help with homework. lol

As soon as my kids hit 5th I began reciting the old saying .... "Just wait until your dad gets home"

RebelChef said:
They seem to be more than a year ahead than we were. I was proctoring a 9th grade math class at our school and it was the same thing I'd taken in college. The teacher saw my surprised look and said yep, same as we learned after high school. I know my kids are learning government already and they're only in 6th grade. I didn't have it until 12th. At this rate, we'll need master's degrees to help with homework. lol

Yeah! I'm all set then. :blushing:

Except of the 5 levels of Calculus I took in college I remember, oh about 3 days worth. :rolleyes:

We did have Calculus in HS and also had Government class at least by 7th grade I remember.

Either way, they are STILL ahead of us.

Teresa - too funny! DD is only in 1st grade and DH is already saying "go work on that with your mother". She already spells better than him! :D

ETA: DH is very smart just doesn't like school work and hated spelling!

Linda, you've heard this from many: no advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm right there with you. My dd is in kindergarten, too - they call it "half day" but it is really just 2.5 hours. Who can get anything done in 2.5 hours? I get to the grocery store and back, and my time is up! My girl has Down syndrome, so three days a week we're off to speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy right after lunch. Plus there are the usual kid things - dance class and Girl Scouts. Some days we're so tired by late afternoon that we just cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. Now if I could just get over the guilt of doing that...My two personal goals between now and the end of the school year are to 1) get a handle on what I do with those 2.5 hours when she's at school, and schedule my time so I can work on my PC business and get errands and chores done by balancing the time, and 2) train a good babysitter so I can still get that time when summer gets here!Hang in there. I keep telling myself it's going to get better...eventually she'll be in school for a full day!

Read so many replies I had to go back to the top to see who to reply to...

Linda, Everyone that has replied sounds like professionals to me... I'm just as stressed being a single mom with two children (one in K and one in 1st), 2-story house, and 2 dogs. We are almost in the same shoes, as far as trying to prioritize and make things fit in when they can. If they dont, dont stress!!

I have a very full plate myself... between MCLA (Marine Corps) meetings, VP of the kids' PTA at school, work 2 part time jobs AND PC, therapy, daycare 2 extra children 4 days a week, and I would HEART to get to the gym. Its hard to run a household and get bills paid.

The only advise I can give you (which someone else prob already has) I make lists every night of things I want to get done the next day, whether it be errands, cleaning, organizing, my personal business etc. At the end of the day, whatever I didnt get done, goes to the next day, or gets put off cause obviously it wasnt too important or wouldve been done first. I feel so accomplished when I get my list and set goals to get them done!!

BUT the most important thing you need to do is give yourself some "ME" time also. Oh yea, my Kindergarter loves to help with laundry, emptying the dishwasher, and the Swiffer (best invention EVER). I give her change to put in her jar and then every week she picks what she wants to spend it on... gets the kids to learn about responsiblity and motivation to help earn money to spend on useless crap!! LOL

Well I've rambled enough. Dont know if any of it will help but it helped me to vent!! LOL Have a great night!!

Related to Managing Overwhelm: Tips for Balancing Business and Life

1. How can I manage my time more effectively while growing my Pampered Chef business?

Effective time management is key when balancing a growing business and personal life. Consider creating a daily schedule or to-do list to prioritize tasks and allocate specific times for work and family responsibilities. Utilize tools such as a planner or phone calendar to stay organized and on track. It may also be helpful to delegate tasks to others or outsource certain responsibilities to free up more time for your business.

2. What can I do to make homework time with my child less stressful?

Homework can be a major source of stress for both parents and children. To make it more manageable, try setting a consistent schedule for homework each day. This will help your child know what to expect and make it easier to fit into your own schedule. It may also be helpful to break up homework into smaller chunks throughout the day, rather than trying to complete it all at once. Consider involving your child in creating a designated homework space and setting up a reward system for completing assignments.

3. How can I balance caring for my elderly family member with my business and personal responsibilities?

Caring for an elderly family member can be both physically and emotionally demanding. To help balance this with your other responsibilities, consider reaching out to other family members or hiring a caregiver to assist with tasks. Utilizing respite care can also provide you with breaks when needed. It may also be helpful to communicate openly with your family member and set clear boundaries and expectations for your caregiving role.

4. What are some tips for managing a household with multiple pets?

Caring for multiple pets can add additional tasks to your already busy schedule. To help manage this, consider setting up a daily routine for feedings, walks, and other necessary tasks. It may also be helpful to involve other family members in caring for the pets or hire a pet sitter when needed. Creating a designated space for pet items and regularly decluttering can also help keep your home organized.

5. How can I reduce clutter and maintain a clean home while running my business?

When running a business and managing a household, clutter can quickly accumulate. To reduce clutter, consider implementing a regular decluttering schedule and finding proper storage solutions for items. It may also be helpful to involve your family in maintaining a clean home and delegate tasks to others. Additionally, creating a designated workspace for your business can help keep it separate from your personal space and minimize clutter in your home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrny2001
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • AlowayFamily
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • ChefJeniLobdell