• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is There a Solution for My Friend's Stoneware Cooking Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with using stoneware for cooking, specifically with browning and cooking times. The possibility of the oven being the issue is also brought up, as well as the suggestion to season the stoneware for better results. The conversation also includes personal experiences with using stoneware and opinions on its effectiveness.
rajenkiPC
Actually...this customer is one of my dearest friends, and her PC parties are the ones that got me into this :)

My friend is not at all happy with her stoneware. She says nothing she cooks ever browns on the bottom, cookies are under-done all the time and she tried to bake frozen pillsburry rolls on her small bar pan the other day and when she took them out in the allotted time (11 minutes), they were golden brown on top but raw in the middle. She has tried cooking them for up to 25 minutes to get them to cook completely.

How should I advise her on these issues?

Thanks!
Becki

I think it mentions in the product description that sometimes things take longer to bake in Stoneware than on metal. Maybe she is not cooking things long enough? IIRC, it specifically mentions the first batch of cookies taking longer to bake. But then, I guess as the Stoneware heats up, subsequent batches should take less time.I would also tell her that the more seasoned her Stoneware gets, the more crispy things cooked on it will become. I believe a little while back there was a thread on here about seasoning Stoneware quickly. Maybe you can search for it and give her some of those tips...

I do not have any of these issues with my stoneware. My stuff actually cooks better.

Is she sure it is not her stove and not the stones?

You know Jennifer, that was my thought too! My cookies come out PERFECT on my stoneware. I feel like Mrs. Smith!

I personally think it's her oven...but I told her I would ask. Maybe we should try the seasoning thing.

Does she have a gas oven, with a heating element at the top? And is the oven rack she is using too far up? It almost sounds like she is broiling her food instead of baking it - so I would find out about the oven she is using and where her oven rack is placed.

I'm guessing it's her oven - I used to have this ancient oven that always took longer to bake anything (especially on stoneware for cookies, biscuits, etc) - I got so used to just adding time. Well I now have a new oven and it cranks! My stuff is usually cooked even quicker than the time it says on the recipe - now I have to make sure and get things out sooner rather than later.

My oven is only 6 years old. Just about everything takes longer on stoneware. I actually never used my stones untill I started selling PC. Now I use them all the time, but I am not convinced that they are better than everything else. Except for the DCB and the fluted stone- I wouldn't give them up. I LOVE them both for the microwave.

I live in the house I grew up in, and we still use the same old oven, (17 years old) and I've never had any problems with cooking anything using Stoneware.

1. How do I properly season my stoneware?

To season your stoneware, simply wash it with warm water and mild soap, then dry it thoroughly. Next, rub a small amount of vegetable oil all over the surface of the stoneware. Place it in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Let it cool completely before using it. Repeat this process a few times before using the stoneware for cooking.

2. Can I use soap to clean my stoneware?

It is not recommended to use soap on stoneware as it can leave a residue that can affect the taste of your food. Simply wash it with warm water and a non-abrasive sponge or brush. If there are stubborn stains, you can use a small amount of baking soda and water paste to gently scrub the surface.

3. Can I use my stoneware in the microwave?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to note that stoneware retains heat very well, so it may become very hot in the microwave. Always use oven mitts or a towel when handling hot stoneware.

4. How do I prevent my stoneware from cracking?

To prevent cracking, it is important to gradually heat and cool your stoneware. Avoid sudden temperature changes, such as placing a hot stoneware dish in cold water. Always let your stoneware cool down before washing it or putting it in the fridge. Also, make sure to avoid placing frozen stoneware directly into a hot oven.

5. Can I use metal utensils on my stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on stoneware as they can scratch the surface. It is best to use non-metal utensils, such as silicone or wooden, to protect the stoneware and ensure it lasts for a long time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • lisasfuncooking