• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cookware Demo Success - Stone vs. Cookie Sheet

In summary, using the host's personal cookware was an added touch and everyone wanted a stone after that.
pamperedinvegas
Hi All,

I had my second show on Saturday. In the beginning of the show, I asked the host if I could use her cookie sheet. I put some tollhouse mini choc. chip cookies on my stone and two cookies on her cookie sheet. I started my demo w/o a timer because I wanted to overcook them. Several minutes into the demo a guest said "hey what about the cookies?" I ran to the stove and took them out...pretending that I forgot. I continued with the demo several minutes later when it was time to demo the stoneware, the cookies on the cookie sheet was burt to a crisp, cold & hard like a hockey puck. The cookies on the stoneware were still warm & golden brown.

I think using the host's personal cookware, was an added touch and everyone wanted a stone after that.

what an awsome idea to demo stoneware!!!

Did you cook both batches of cookies at the same time? I keep reading not to put anything else in the oven at the same time as a piece of stoneware. This has been one of my frustrations with stoneware. I love the way everything comes out, but one pan of anything is not enough around here. Any info on this would be helpful. I am very new to PC and this site. I hope this posts! Thanks!!!

Did you cook both batches of cookies at the same time? I keep reading not to put anything else in the oven at the same time as a piece of stoneware. This has been one of my frustrations with stoneware. I love the way everything comes out, but one pan of anything is not enough around here. Any info on this would be helpful. I am very new to PC and this site. I hope this posts! Thanks!!!

The thing is, you really shouldn't put more one type of ANY pan in the oven at the same, especially larger pans, because it messes with the flow of heat in the oven.

That said, I do it all the time. I just make sure to have the items staggard (sp?) if at all possible. Like, one on the lower rack towards the right, the other on the upper rack towards the left. As long as the racks are as close together as the size of the stone allows, I haven't had a problem.

Also, if it is a smaller type pan (like the Deep Dish Baker, Medium Bar Pan, etc.), I just put on the same rack, because there is room for the heat to flow evenly around them without staggering them.

HTH!

Thanks so much for the info. I'll try it out!!!

The point about staggering pans is correct. And to further help them cook evenly, you can swap their positions about halfway through cooking (put the one that was on the top onto the bottom and vice-versa).

If you are using a convection oven, staggering and swapping isn't as much of an issue because the convection fan moves the warm air around and cooks things more evenly.

I've heard that some people keep their round stone on a lower shelf all the time... even when baking other things... to aid in heat distribution.

quiverfull7 said:
I've heard that some people keep their round stone on a lower shelf all the time... even when baking other things... to aid in heat distribution.

The use and care for stoneware says not to do this. You're not supposed to have stoneware in a hot oven empty.

I have heard the cookies on the second round and later bake better than the first round. If I try the above 'test' at a show, would it still work, because you would be doing it on a cold stone?

I thought about taking pre-made cookie mix and making a pan or two of cookies before the guest arrive to have the house smell of baking cookies and warm cookies to eat when they arrive, but didn't know how the first batch will come out.

I would try this at my house, but my oven is broken right now and can't bake. DARN, I wanted a reason to make dozens of cookies to eat - umm, I mean to try this out!

My issue with cookies and stoneware is that general cookie technique calls for cool baking sheets. You bake a batch and then cool the pan. You can't do that with the stoneware...it would take FOREVER! And when you scoop your cookies, the first ones start cooking and oozing before you're done.

That's why you use parchment for the 2nd and subsequent batches. You cut the piece of parchment to size, scoop out the cookies, and then just slide it on the empty stone and throw it back in the oven! No oozing!

I guess there's that...and you can reuse the parchment...I guess I'm too lazy to dig out the parchment paper, though it really does help with the whole cleanup factor! I hate my parchment paper (non-PC, of course)-it doesn't tear off right-and I don't use it because I hate it but I don't buy the PC stuff because I already have some...sorry, I ramble a lot, more so later in the evening...

Oh, Ann. The nerd came out in you again in this post!:D I love all of your definitions!!! Your smartness makes me look smarter when I reuse them!! :cool: ha! Keep it up!:D

Any thoughts on how to make the first batch come out OK? or is this not really a problem with stoneware?

genburk said:
Any thoughts on how to make the first batch come out OK? or is this not really a problem with stoneware?

I don't think it's really a problem with stoneware.;)

Sometimes you need to add a couple of minutes to the bake time of the first batch, to give the stoneware time to heat up.

Jennifer- that's why I share, so people have tips they can use at their shows. Guests love to get the little tips and the "why"s.

genburk said:

Just cook them a couple of minutes longer. I make the cake box cookies all the time, the recipe calls for baking 8-10 min, I cook the first batch about 12 min. after that it all depends on the oven. Never had a problem with my stones, even cookies on a reg. cookie sheet take a little longer to bake 1st time around. It's a matter of using your stones and getting to know them and your oven. HTH

The only type of cookie I had a problem with over the holidays on my stone was the Tuxedo Brownie Cookie. These are similar to Peanut Butter Blossoms but made with brownie mix and Hershey's Hugs instead. Anyway, the Hugs were melting before I could even get the stone to cool. But if I let the cookie cool first, the Hugs would set right. Mind you they still tasted good and I played it off as meaning to do that but I was a bit disappointed.

OK, so give this to me again...Too much info...LOL put them intogether or not....LOL
Yes or no answers work best for me. Too much info makes my head hurt....LOL

Yes, Jilleysue...as long as you stagger them on top and bottom rack. Valky

What is the difference between cooking with a stone and a cookie sheet?

The main difference between cooking with a stone and a cookie sheet is the material they are made of. A stone is typically made of ceramic or stoneware, while a cookie sheet is made of metal. This difference affects the way food is cooked and the end result.

Which one is better for baking cookies?

A cookie sheet is generally better for baking cookies because it allows for even heat distribution, resulting in evenly baked cookies with a crispy texture. Stones tend to retain more moisture, which can result in softer and chewier cookies.

Can I use a stone for cooking other types of food?

Yes, you can use a stone for cooking other types of food such as pizza, bread, and even meats. Stones are great for creating a crispy crust and retaining moisture in food, resulting in delicious and evenly cooked dishes.

Do I need to season a stone before using it?

It is recommended to season a stone before using it for the first time. This involves coating the stone with a thin layer of oil and then heating it in the oven for about an hour. This helps to create a non-stick surface and prevents food from sticking to the stone.

How do I clean and care for a stone?

To clean a stone, allow it to cool completely before rinsing it with hot water and using a brush to remove any food particles. Avoid using soap as it can be absorbed into the stone and affect the taste of future dishes. To care for a stone, avoid extreme temperature changes and do not place a hot stone directly on a cold surface, as this can cause it to crack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JAE
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
JAE
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies