• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Cancelling My Subscription to Forbes

In summary, Forbes magazine has ranked the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States. Um, well, there are certainly more than 569 colleges and universities in the United States, so this thing is suspect to start. Once you read the criteria used, the d*$#ed thing is even more suspect.
chefann said:
Well, I still like you, even if you attended the wrong Cornell!

(I had a shirt when I was at school that said, "Cornell College. Isn't that in Ithaca?")

LOL! Thanks, Ann!! And, if you look at the student loans I left with, I certainly DID go to the wrong school! ;) (My husband went to Ithaca College, and I always tell him I went to the REAL school in Ithaca! :))

But I am confused - I thought Ezra was the one who founded Cornell U. It sounds really weird that there were two cousins named Ezra Cornell... Or did I misread your post??

I thought it was Ezra who donated books to CC, but could be misremembering. I'll have to check that on their website.

OK- it was William Wesley Cornell.
Cornell College was founded in 1853 by George Bryant Bowman, a Methodist minister from North Carolina with a passionate belief in higher education. Originally known as the Iowa Conference Seminary, the school was renamed in 1857 after William Wesley Cornell, a prosperous merchant and devout Methodist whose distant cousin, Ezra Cornell, founded Cornell University a decade later. Today, Cornell College maintains an affiliation with the United Methodist Church, but the college welcomes people from all religious traditions and from all non-religious perspectives.

You'll find this humorous, too:Let’s face it: over the years, there’s been a certain amount of confusion over the distinction between Cornell College and, well, the other Cornell. From misdirected applications to misguided visits, sharing a name hasn’t always been easy.So we’d like to set the record straight: we got here first. Cornell College was founded in 1853, 15 years before the similarly named university got its start. And we’re not one to brag, but we have a higher percentage of alumni listed in Who’s Who in America than they do.A few more notes on Cornell v. Cornell:
  • The two institutions were not named for the same person, but our namesake (William W. Cornell) and theirs (Ezra Cornell) were distant cousins.
  • The college has about 1,200 undergraduate students. The university: more than 13,000.
  • College faculty teach one course at a time. University faculty teach as many as four courses at a time, and as little as zero (that’s what teaching assistants are for, right?).
  • The college holds two national wrestling team titles; the university holds zero.
  • Cornell University is located in Ithaca, New York, which was named for a Greek island. Cornell College is in the heart of Mount Vernon, Iowa, which got its name from George Washington’s home in Virginia.
  • Winters in Ithaca are cold and snowy. Winters in Mount Vernon, on the other hand, are … snowy and cold.
  • Our mascot is a ram; theirs is a bear (Big Red) who seems to have been named after a chewing gum.
  • Both campuses involve steep inclines. Hence the nicknames “The Hilltop” (us) and “The Hill” (them).
  • Both campuses feature buildings funded by the Olin Foundation: Olin Hall (both campuses) and Olin Library (the university).
  • Ithaca is approximately four hours from New York City. Mount Vernon is approximately four hours from Chicago.

[SINGING]
:sing:

Far above, Cayuga's waters
There's an awful smell.
Some people say it's Cayuga's waters...
We know it's Cornell!

:sing:

[/SINGING]

<h2>1. What is the ranking system used by Forbes?</h2><p>Forbes uses a ranking system based on criteria such as alumni salary, student satisfaction, and graduation rates.</p><h2>2. How many colleges and universities are included in the Forbes ranking?</h2><p>Forbes ranks the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States.</p><h2>3. Is the Forbes ranking considered to be accurate?</h2><p>There is some controversy surrounding the Forbes ranking, as it only includes a select number of schools and uses criteria that may not accurately reflect a school's overall quality.</p><h2>4. Which school is ranked as the best according to Forbes?</h2><p>Forbes ranks Princeton University as the best college in the United States.</p><h2>5. Who may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking?</h2><p>Some individuals, such as those associated with schools that did not make the top 569, may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking system. Additionally, there may be disagreement from those who believe the criteria used is not a true measure of a school's quality.</p>

Related to I'm Cancelling My Subscription to Forbes

1. What is the ranking system used by Forbes?

Forbes uses a ranking system based on criteria such as alumni salary, student satisfaction, and graduation rates.

2. How many colleges and universities are included in the Forbes ranking?

Forbes ranks the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States.

3. Is the Forbes ranking considered to be accurate?

There is some controversy surrounding the Forbes ranking, as it only includes a select number of schools and uses criteria that may not accurately reflect a school's overall quality.

4. Which school is ranked as the best according to Forbes?

Forbes ranks Princeton University as the best college in the United States.

5. Who may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking?

Some individuals, such as those associated with schools that did not make the top 569, may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking system. Additionally, there may be disagreement from those who believe the criteria used is not a true measure of a school's quality.

Back