• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Cancelling My Subscription to Forbes

In summary, Forbes magazine has ranked the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States. Um, well, there are certainly more than 569 colleges and universities in the United States, so this thing is suspect to start. Once you read the criteria used, the d*$#ed thing is even more suspect.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Forbes magazine has ranked the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States. Um, well, there are certainly more than 569 colleges and universities in the United States, so this thing is suspect to start. Once you read the criteria used, the d*$#ed thing is even more suspect. Not to mention, if MIT is 14th, this list must really be rigged or just stupid.

Here's the list: Forbes Top Schools.

Top 15:

Rank Name State
1 Princeton University NJ
2 California Institute of Technology CA
3 Harvard University MA
4 Swarthmore College PA
5 Williams College MA
6 United States Military Academy NY
7 Amherst College MA
8 Wellesley College MA
9 Yale University CT
10 Columbia University NY
11 Northwestern University IL
12 Wabash College IN
13 Centre College KY
14 Massachusetts Institute of Technology MA
15 Bowdoin College ME

What school is the pits? The bottom of the list? The 569th worst school in America out of a list of 569th? Check here.

And a certain Cheffer in Rhinelander is going to be extremely pissed off. So is someone who lives in my house, and someone who used to live in my house.

HEY! I found a picture of the crew that did the ranking for Forbes:

shcool.jpg

My alma mater didn't fare well either. It's #528.

I can't find the criteria they used.

washington state university #371

not bad :D

gooooo cougs!

Applachian State University (Beat Michigan football last year) - #250 - There are several NC schools that are above them in ranking and I can't figure out why??

Mine is ranked #500...

Naw KG, all 3 of us are above that. We know what school is best and don't need to have big heads to prove it. ;)There is NO way it should be there. EXCELLENT education! They are just above paying anyone off to get a higher ranking.

that's right - look at all the schools in Massachusetts :)

Awful lot of University of California schools included. I find it hilarious that that UC-Chico and UC-Santa Cruz are including in this ranking. Both are well known party schools!!

University of Virginia is here, but no Virginia Tech!!

Oh well, not a college grad, myself, so maybe I'm just showing my adopted home state loyalty.

I wonder if Iona University gives an Iona that they're on the list??:rolleyes:Holy Cow! My alma mater is #449! I can't believe they're on the list!

Oh no way! Mississippi State is ranked higher than LSU!!!! What??

Hillsdale is where I want my kids to go, and they are ranked #279. Hope is #166, right here in town. Probably can't afford to send my kids there. #511 is where many from around here end up going.

Mine is ranked #111.

The one I started at is ranked # 264. The one I graduated from wasn't even listed, but neither was DH's so we are ok:p

Well, I can't complain, since my Alma Mater is at #71.But they do have a typo on another school. Officially, it's "The Ohio State University."

I take that back, DH is ranked #517. They changed the name of his university last year...now it is known as MUST (Missouri University of Science and Technology).

hmm... DH's school isn't even on this list.There are so many criteria for ranking schools, I don't even want to attempt to guess how they put this list together.

chefann said:
hmm... DH's school isn't even on this list.

There are so many criteria for ranking schools, I don't even want to attempt to guess how they put this list together.

Eenie Meenie Miney Mo...

Oh wait, they gave us money to be higher, move them up.

Oh wait, I went there, put them up a bit...

Oh, my cousin goes there, they're up.

Oh, they kicked our butts in (place sport here), move them down 300...

Oh, they specialize in (place academic field here), I'm not smart enough to do that field, knock them down 400...

Oh forgot...my ex-wife went to (place school here), that's -550 points!(Note: Sarcasm...)

I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of MI schools on the list. Too bad nobody living here can afford to go to any of them. :rolleyes:

As a college student who has visited ratemyprofessors.com, I think that using that as a part of the criteria, nevermind 25%, is ridiculous. At my school, those who rate their professors on that site are typically complaining that they actually had to work, or ranking a professor high because it was an easy A and they got to sleep through class or skip it altogether. Rarely is a professor's rating an accurate reflection of the experience I've had in their class. For a public school, mine didn't do all that bad, but I still think this list is a joke.

Hey look! My alma mater made the list - 529 Rider University NJ 39,410 993

my alma mater is in the 300's...........http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_115.gif

Mine was # 179...DH's was #430. I think I may like this list. :)

I am not pleased at all how they ranked the TN schools! I too am wondering what their criteria was! Is the "cost" for 4 years...2 semesters...a degree?? I can't imagine any school in TN charging $50,000 (49,834) a year...and that's Vanderbilt! UT's tuition was not that high 3 years ago because my DD got that much off her tuition at Bryan College (which wasn't rated) for her Vocational Rehab scholarship money!

67 Sewanee University of the South TN 41,340 402
105 Vanderbilt University TN 49,834 1,673
116 Carson-Newman College TN 25,850 436
157 Maryville College TN 35,700 317
282 Union University TN 28,000 476
286 Middle Tennessee State University TN 14,982 3,576
328 University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 18,584 4,351
337 University of Memphis TN 17,208 2,017
360 Belmont University TN 34,472 804
364 Rhodes College TN 41,204 454
519 Christian Brothers University TN 28,720 321
520 Fisk University TN 27,800 196

Yikes mine is 546....oh well I have survived and thrived in spite of its low ranking <smirk>

FSU # 274! Go 'Noles!!! ;)

Based on KG's note, you can easily guess where mine was!If it was rating professors on how tough they are, then it deserved that ranking. That's what makes it a tough/good school!On the ranking, that is almost hilarious.25% on ranking of professors...yup, students usually only go rank there when mad...
25% on how many students are in "Who's Who"??? Well most students know the Who's Who is a farse. They put you in for free then try to sell you the book. Anyone practically can get into that.
Based on debt? Well of course the tough schools bring out people with more debt...because they are FOCUSED on their studies and have to work hard. Some schools are so tough you CAN'T work a ton and still succeed because they push you so hard.
Percentage graduating in 4 years? Hmm...many students at my alma mater did 5 to get 2 degrees, but it doesn't count as 4+1....and all dependent on what data is released to them.Yup, not surprised where my school is......and don't put a bit of credibility in this...Susan - I'm SURE you've survived well!

TCU was ranked 513 - crazy! Especially when SMU (very similar in pretty much everything) was ranked 186... I am happy to say Hamline (where I work now) is 198!

I agree with Janet about the Who's Who thing... I was offered it every year in high school and college, just never had the time to fill out the darn paperwork (especially as I got nothing out of it and could care less to put it on my resume - it is a crock of sh*t!)

Hey hubby and I did alright,,,, #380 and #406

Sorry KG

I don't care. My first school is one where everyone minors in apathy so no one cares where the ranking is, and my second school isn't on the list at all.That said, ranking MSOE is irresponsible on the part of Forbes. MSOE is a hands-on school and employers know that if they hire a MSOE grad, they will hit the ground running where most others will take two weeks or more to get oriented to the tasks at hand.It's probably more important than a Forbes ranking that employers know where MSOE grads rank, but the sad part will be students potentially misled to attend Fred's School of Geek than MSOE.Ask any MSOE grad what they think of their Alma Matter, and the only more excited grads you could find might be from Notre Dame.

Very true KG

Remember when the person got the job and not the school attended or who they knew?

Afraid those days are long gone.....

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I don't care. My first school is one where everyone minors in apathy so no one cares where the ranking is, and my second school isn't on the list at all.

That said, ranking MSOE is irresponsible on the part of Forbes. MSOE is a hands-on school and employers know that if they hire a MSOE grad, they will hit the ground running where most others will take two weeks or more to get oriented to the tasks at hand.

It's probably more important than a Forbes ranking that employers know where MSOE grads rank, but the sad part will be students potentially misled to attend Fred's School of Geek than MSOE.

Ask any MSOE grad what they think of their Alma Matter, and the only more excited grads you could find might be from Notre Dame.

Standing up applauding! :thumbup:

Ask almost any MSOE EMPLOYER and they will say they are more than happy with all their employees!!!! That isn't about the "school they attend" as much as it is about the teaching style, their standards, etc.

I have a Master's Degree from a State College that I got a 4.0 in, but in my mind that pales to the 2 diplomas from the school ranked LAST on this list.

Given the chance to do it all over again and go ANYWHERE for free, I'd still choose the same path. Not many can say that!

The people that put together the criteria used for this list are also the same people that determined the criteria for scoring women's gymnastics!!! Makes about the same amount of sense!!

University of Georgia #177...Georgia Institute of Technology #501? Knowing the acceptance criteria for both schools...it's hard to believe they would even consider ranking UGA that high.

My dad will be happy to know his alma mater is #276 (Miami University of Ohio).

BethCooks4U said:
Applachian State University (Beat Michigan football last year) - #250 - There are several NC schools that are above them in ranking and I can't figure out why??

Nice to know my schools fall right in the middle!

Undergrad: High Point University #253
Grad: Appalachian State University #250

JAE said:
My alma mater didn't fare well either. It's #528.

oh man, mine is #527 :cry: :D

OMG they ranked Ripon College in WI 109. Complete garbage, that is one of the worst schools in WI. Cornell was lower, LOL this is a crime.

I find it interesting that Cornell College ranked #71 while Cornell University came in at 121.Remember the old saw about a room full of monkeys with typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare?Well, now that the Internet has disproven that theory, the subject monkeys are now ranking colleges for Forbes Ragazine.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I find it interesting that Cornell College ranked #71 while Cornell University came in at 121.

What can I say - size isn't everything! Nice to know that someone noticed The Hilltop.

KG knows this factoid, but other people don't: Cornell College was founded in 1853, BEFORE Cornell U. It was originally the Iowa Seminary (or some such name), but the administration wanted something different as a name. Ezra Cornell donated $1200 worth of books, so they named the school after him. He was a cousin of the Ithaca Cornells.
Cornell College is also one of 2 schools in the US that have a block plan - one class at a time, instead of semesters. The other is Colorado College in Colorado Springs.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I find it interesting that Cornell College ranked #71 while Cornell University came in at 121.

Remember the old saw about a room full of monkeys with typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare?

Well, now that the Internet has disproven that theory, the subject monkeys are now ranking colleges for Forbes Ragazine.

Yeah, I was upset by that, too, since I went to Cornell U - no offense to the person who went to Cornell College, though! ;)

Oh, and this reminds me of a book called Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff. It takes place at Cornell U, and part of the premise is that our lives are stories and the events are dictated by monkeys on typewriters. :D

jbachen said:
Yeah, I was upset by that, too, since I went to Cornell U - no offense to the person who went to Cornell College, though! ;)

Well, I still like you, even if you attended the wrong Cornell!

(I had a shirt when I was at school that said, "Cornell College. Isn't that in Ithaca?")

Cornell U is also the namesake of the logging town of Cornell in Chippewa County, Wisconsin, on the Chippewa River. The reason? Cornell used to own all that acreage, as a part of the land grant act of 1787. The school made a lot of money from logging the area, and when they sold the land, they kept the mineral rights. If anyone ever wants to start mining in northwestern Wisconsin, they have to negotiate with the university.

Cornell U is also the namesake of the logging town of Cornell in Chippewa County, Wisconsin, on the Chippewa River. The reason? Cornell used to own all that acreage, as a part of the land grant act of 1787. The school made a lot of money from logging the area, and when they sold the land, they kept the mineral rights. If anyone ever wants to start mining in northwestern Wisconsin, they have to negotiate with the university.

ooh-deja vu!:D

Geez..KG and Greg...Where in WI are you? I assume you're from WI based on both of your posts.

chefann said:
ooh-deja vu!

:D

Ain't technology grand...grand...grand...grand...grand...grand...grand

HA! Take that, ForbesJust in case you missed this in another thread...

janetupnorth said:
MSOE Named a “Best in the Midwest College”

Published: 07/29/2008

MSOE Named a “Best in the Midwest College”

Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) is one of the best colleges and universities in the Midwest according to The Princeton Review. The New York City-based education services company selected the school as one of 158 institutions it recommends in its "Best in the Midwest" section on its Web site feature 2009 Best Colleges: Region by Region.

Best Says Robert Franek, Princeton Review's V.P., Publishing, "We commend all of the schools we name this year as our 'regional best' colleges primarily for their excellent academic programs. We selected them based on institutional data we collected from several hundred schools in each region, our visits to schools over the years, and the opinions of independent and high school-based college advisors whose recommendations we invite. We also take into account what each school's customers - their students - report to us about their campus experiences at their schools on our 80-question student survey. Finally, we work to have our annual roster of 'regional best' colleges present a range of institutions in each region that varies by size, selectivity, character and locale."

The 158 colleges The Princeton Review chose for this year's "Best in the Midwest" designations are located in twelve states: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. The Princeton Review also designated 212 colleges in the Northeast, 120 in the West, and 139 in the Southeast as best in their locales on the company's 2009 Best Colleges: Region by Region section on its site. The 630 colleges named "regional best(s)" represent only about 25% (one out of four) of the nation's 2,500 four-year colleges.

The Princeton Review survey for this project asks students to rate their own schools on several issues -- from the accessibility of their professors to quality of the campus food -- and answer questions about themselves, their fellow students, and their campus life. Actual comments from surveyed students pepper each Princeton Review college profile on its site

The Princeton Review is a New York-based company known for its test preparation courses, books, and college admission and other education services. It is not affiliated with Princeton University and it is not a magazine.

MSOE is an independent university with about 2,500 students. MSOE offers 17 bachelor's degrees and 10 master's degrees in the engineering, engineering technology, architectural engineering and building construction, computer, business and health-related fields.

In response, Forbes has announced the appointment of a new editor...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/Alfred_E_Neuman.jpg

Jessamary said:
Geez..KG and Greg...Where in WI are you? I assume you're from WI based on both of your posts.

Milwaukee area (or close by) for both of them.

Well, KG, US News got it better:http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/bacc-midwest-search

<h2>1. What is the ranking system used by Forbes?</h2><p>Forbes uses a ranking system based on criteria such as alumni salary, student satisfaction, and graduation rates.</p><h2>2. How many colleges and universities are included in the Forbes ranking?</h2><p>Forbes ranks the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States.</p><h2>3. Is the Forbes ranking considered to be accurate?</h2><p>There is some controversy surrounding the Forbes ranking, as it only includes a select number of schools and uses criteria that may not accurately reflect a school's overall quality.</p><h2>4. Which school is ranked as the best according to Forbes?</h2><p>Forbes ranks Princeton University as the best college in the United States.</p><h2>5. Who may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking?</h2><p>Some individuals, such as those associated with schools that did not make the top 569, may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking system. Additionally, there may be disagreement from those who believe the criteria used is not a true measure of a school's quality.</p>

Related to I'm Cancelling My Subscription to Forbes

1. What is the ranking system used by Forbes?

Forbes uses a ranking system based on criteria such as alumni salary, student satisfaction, and graduation rates.

2. How many colleges and universities are included in the Forbes ranking?

Forbes ranks the top 569 colleges and universities in the United States.

3. Is the Forbes ranking considered to be accurate?

There is some controversy surrounding the Forbes ranking, as it only includes a select number of schools and uses criteria that may not accurately reflect a school's overall quality.

4. Which school is ranked as the best according to Forbes?

Forbes ranks Princeton University as the best college in the United States.

5. Who may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking?

Some individuals, such as those associated with schools that did not make the top 569, may be unhappy with the Forbes ranking system. Additionally, there may be disagreement from those who believe the criteria used is not a true measure of a school's quality.

Back