• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director How to Handle Negative People in a Group Setting

In summary, some people in a group may be negative and it can be hard to deal with them. If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right. Some things you can do to deal with these people are to knock down their objections, take online training on how to be a better host, and talk to your director.
Malinda Klein
Gold Member
How do you deal with "Debbie Downers" in a group? Whether it's at your monthly meeting or on your Facebook group? I'm trying to decide how to handle one "hospitaltiy" consultant that is always negative.

The advise can also be applied to ones direct downline too - so looking forward to how everyone has handled this situation in the past?

"If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right." Just as we CHOOSE to steal that car or alert the authorities that a car was left unattended in a parking lot with the keys in the ignition & the motor running ... we do have the ability to choose our destiny. We can CHOOSE to be successful or we can CHOOSE to 2nd guess every move that we make and doubt our ability to be successful. What we perceive to be true, is usually the result we get. Anyone who's putting that negative energy out there in the universe, shouldn't be shocked when that negative thing they were afraid of actually happens.Not knowing exactly what your hospitality girl is doing or saying it's kind of hard to be specific on how to handle her. All I can say is just knock down her objections. Not enough shows? She's not asking enough people. Sales too low/attendance too low? Take some online training on Host Coaching. Can't recruit? She should probably sit in on a phone or in-person interview for tips.The meetings are supposed to be for supporting one another. If she's disrupting the meetings, you might want to talk to her in private. Ask her what goals she has for her PC business and see what you can do to help her achieve those goals. But lay down the ground rules that the meetings are for support, not putting down other consultants or badgering them about their success. If she wants to be there to learn, then she needs to be open to new ideas & suggestions for improving her techniques so that she can improve her business. But let her know that fussing is not allowed and will not be tolerated. If she's too immature to accept that, let her know that she's no longer welcome at the meetings. She'll probably get mad, but until she's ready to make some changes in her own life and value who she is and what she has to offer others she's not benefiting herself or anyone around her. Basically, it's okay to be mad/sad/disappointed ... but it's NOT okay to throw a temper tantrum. And usually that's what the disruptive behavior is. A need for attention. That's my 2 cents (for what it's worth). I'll get off my soap box now. ;)

Or talk to her director and see if she has some insite on this consultant or suggestions. Maybe her director would like to speak to her to see what is up.

One of my consultants was whining that she's struggling (she always struggles unless it's a SAT month) and that she has about $100 in orders but she doesn't think she'll get the orders to get it to a show so she doesn't know if she'll be active this month. :bawl: :bawl:

I asked what we could do if we need to get sales. They sat there. So I said the usual - get on the phone, talk to people, get out there, do things differently, etc. I also reminded them it was only August 4th and they had the whole month ahead of them. Oh, and I told them that I had a pretty empty August too because of everything that was going on in my life this year. They said "welcome to our world". Then I said I made those calls and I'm just one show short of my normal # of shows for August so far.

That consultant contacted me yesterday to say she booked a show and is working on another one in August. :woohoo: it's all in the attitude.

My Dir. says if you have someone who is always a complainer or is over talkative to give them a call before the meeting and let them get it out prior. Do some one on one coaching before hand so that the conversation has happened and doesn't become a part of the meeting.

I feel your pain, I have a few complainers on my team too.

When I did my meetings with another director, she always had someone read this positive attitude statement at the beginning of her meetings. Maybe it could help.

Can I just use one of the new smilies too. I love this one! :happyforyou:

Attachments

• Positive Attitude Statement Mthly Mtg .doc
    24 KB · Views: 277
All the smilies that I suggested are off my Fertility Friend web board.

:happyforyou: These guys are the "happy for you" that we use when someone who's been trying to conceive for a while finally gets a positive pregnancy test. LOL

Related to How to Handle Negative People in a Group Setting

1. Who is Debbie Downer in the group?

Debbie Downer is a fictional character from the sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live. She is known for always bringing negative and depressing comments to any conversation or group setting.

2. What kind of comments does Debbie Downer make?

Debbie Downer's comments usually focus on the worst-case scenario or point out the negative aspects of a situation. She can also bring up depressing or awkward topics that dampen the mood of the group.

3. Is Debbie Downer a real person?

No, Debbie Downer is not a real person. She is a character played by actress Rachel Dratch on Saturday Night Live.

4. Why do people use the term "Debbie Downer"?

The term "Debbie Downer" is often used to describe someone who constantly brings down the mood or energy of a group or conversation. It has become a popular phrase to describe someone who is negative or pessimistic.

5. How can I avoid being a Debbie Downer in a group setting?

To avoid being a Debbie Downer, try to focus on the positive aspects of a situation and avoid constantly bringing up negative or depressing topics. It's also important to listen to others and contribute to the conversation in a positive way. If you do have something negative to say, try to balance it out with a positive or humorous comment as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • pregochef