• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I be more present and live in the moment?

Everything you can do to enjoy your life today will help you be present tomorrow.In summary, living in the moment and being present is about focusing fully on what you are doing at that moment, enjoying it, and not worrying about the past or future. It involves actively stopping any distractions or negative thoughts and fully immersing yourself in the present experience. This can also include taking time to relax and do nothing without feeling guilty. It is important to embrace and appreciate each moment, as it will ultimately contribute to a more fulfilling and present life.
naekelsey
Gold Member
Does anyone know how to do this? Most of the self help books mention something to this affect. After doing some research, I am stumped.

I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, just wanting to know if anyone have any suggestions to accomplish this???

Thanks bunches

Enjoy now. Take time to live today.

Don't worry about tomorrow it will take care of itself. Well, part of living today is working toward your goals for tomorrow but if you don't take time to "smell the flowers" you will have missed out.

This is the best way I know of to live in the moment:

Philippians 4:6-9

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.

naekelsey said:
Does anyone know how to do this? Most of the self help books mention something to this affect. After doing some research, I am stumped.

I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, just wanting to know if anyone have any suggestions to accomplish this???

Thanks bunches

Be aware and a participant in what you are doing AT THAT MOMENT. If talking on the phone with a friend, do not surf the web. If watching TV, do not read...and vice versa. If you are at the beach or a park or wherever with friends and family, be THERE, not thinking about what you need to do wen you get home.

Focus fully on what you are doing at that moment, enjoy, look at it all as though you have never seen it before and may never see it again.

Robin

naekelsey said:

Thanks bunches

being present works best when you stop fretting about the past and worrying about the future. that allows you to focus on the present and find it a gift to enjoy.

For an example... playing with the kids... you could sit and worry about the bills to pay, the things you still need to do and you'll feel distracted and stressed while you're trying to play with the kids. Living in the moment says - mentally put those worries aside and focus on the playing with the kids. Those other things will be there when you're done and you'll have had a moment of being there now with your kids.

I've been working on stress reduction by actively doing nothing (sounds weird but I get it now LOL)... the key for me was guilt. Doing nothing with guilt in my head didn't count. Free time isn't free when it's covered in guilt. So I'm learning to have free time or to do nothing and feel no guilt whatsoever.

Amen Becky D. , well done.

It's not easy, and I'm certainly no expert. The others have it right. Whenever you find yourself mentally slipping off, stop it. You know what I mean:You're sitting in church, and, during the middle of the sermon, you find yourself mentally planning next week's dinner party. Stop it! Refocus.You're at a friend's birthday celebration, and you realize that you're making a mental list of all the things you should be doing at home. Stop it! Strike up a conversation with the nearest person.You watch your kids playing in the snow and realize you're inside watching your kids playing in the snow. Stop it! Put on your boots and mittens and join them.Like I said, I'm no expert. I will tell you, though, that I enjoy my life so much more during those times I really tune in to what is happening right then.Best wishes on a "really present" 2008, 2009, 2010, . . .

This question stuck with me all yesterday. I found myself thinking about it late last night. I think one of the ways we often fail miserably at being present and living in the moment is dieting.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a big believer in eating right and exercising. It's vital if you're going to have the energy and stamina you need to do everything you need to do.

I'm thinking about my SIL. She's a very attractive, slim, 38-year-old woman. She is constantly dieting. She thinks she's too heavy. She is miserable, because she hasn't attained a specific number on the scale. She seems to think that everything will be better once she sees that number. In the meantime, she's missing a lot. There are lots of things she won't do because she "doesn't look good in" whatever she thinks she needs to wear.

Again, I'm not against watching what you eat. I'm diabetic. I exercise five days a week, and am very careful about what I eat. That means I have a single bite of my husband's dessert instead of ordering one of my own. It means I choose that one delicious chocolate from the box and savor it. (Seriously, remember Mugsly from the cartoons? He's the dog who would float up into the air while he enjoyed his doggie treats. That's me with a good chocolate.) It means that I don't waste my precious "indulgences." They are rare, but they do exist.

Now, if you're in the midst of a plan to lose weight and tone up, that's great. I just hope you're not putting off life in the meantime. Enjoy every single day that you are able to get vertical and ventilate.

That's it. End of sermon. I may be just a bit passionate about this topic.

Just able to get online to ck on my question. I appreciate ALL answers and suggestions. They really get my mind in check.

I am one of those who worries when there ISN'T anything to worry about! Worry and guilt take up most of my days. I feel guilty for even the little or necessary things like telling my son (6 yrs) he can't play with a certain friend for a day because they pulled a naughty stunt. Or saying no to a friend, for a anything, because I have other plans. Or when someone, for whatever reason, doesn't like me. The list is endless. I am also great at thinking of the bills, house chores and etc while doing everything! I am never "in the moment" when I do things.

For Raebates: Your comment is SO true! I do not like my weight but I know it is because I am TO senditary. Last summer I didn't focus on losing weight, just on having fun. I started swimming every day with my lil ones, then going skating on Tues evenings with my DD (18 yrs). Then cutting down on our portions sizes, ACTUALLY cooking our meals and eatting ALOT more fruits and vegetables. The weight was melting off and I wasn't trying to loose weight..It just happened while I was having fun, spending time with my kids, and eating/getting healthy. Something happened and it all stopped. So the weight is back on and my healthy status has declined.

I am also GREAT at reading everything I can get my hands on regarding self help, just don't do anything about it BUT read! I am working on Doing instead of Wishing..These suggestions will help me!

Thanks bunches

One of my buddies says I'm the only person she knows who reads self-help books and actually follows through with the advice. Sounds like you've found one of the true secrets to life--do what you enjoy (within reason).

Living in the moment is something I often struggle with as I tend to "replay" the past in my mind. Replaying the past is not a bad thing - I read in a book that is was ok to replay the past event until they come out like you want them too (this was pertaining more to conversations and I was applying it to business). I recreate my "perfect" conversation or word choices and then try to improve for the future. By doing this, I've been able to let go of past mishaps and frustrations. ;)

Living in the moment is difficult. I take at least 5 minutes a day (many times this is in the shower or waiting for the coffee to finish brewing) and just meditate, pray, talk with God, or self reflect. It varies from day to day as my needs each day are different. I've noticed the days I don't take 5 minutes, I'm more antsy and agitated. For me this is very centering and something I need as a mom especially.

I do focus on the future as that keeps me on target for today...I want my kids to go to college debt free so I have to work today in order to make that happen, but as far as planning my life to the detail, well, the Army curred me of that:) . My husband and I have many "plans" as to what we want in life and where we want to go, but ultimately it can change in a heartbeat (literally).

I'm not a big proponent of telling people what to do spiritually as it is very personal to me, but I do believe in the power of meditation and prayer...you might be amazed at what 5 minutes can do for you. We live in such a fast world that taking time to think and just be is so wonderful and quite refreshing! I guess my secret is 5 minutes of time with myself.

Related to How can I be more present and live in the moment?

1. How can I be more present in my daily life?

Being present means focusing on the current moment and not getting caught up in thoughts about the past or worries about the future. To be more present, try practicing mindfulness techniques such as deep breathing, paying attention to your senses, and letting go of distractions. It can also help to set aside specific times each day to unplug from technology and simply be in the moment.

2. How can I stop dwelling on the past and live in the present?

One way to stop dwelling on the past is to practice acceptance and forgiveness. Acknowledge that the past cannot be changed and let go of any negative feelings or grudges. Instead, focus on the present and the things you can control. It can also be helpful to engage in positive and fulfilling activities such as hobbies or spending time with loved ones.

3. How can I stay present in a busy and fast-paced world?

Staying present in a busy world can be challenging, but it is possible. One tip is to prioritize and focus on one thing at a time. This can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and allow you to fully engage in each task or activity. Additionally, setting boundaries and saying no to things that do not align with your priorities can help reduce stress and allow you to be more present.

4. How can I be more mindful in my relationships?

Mindfulness is crucial in relationships as it allows us to truly listen and connect with others. To be more mindful in your relationships, try to be fully present during conversations and avoid distractions. Show genuine interest and empathy towards others and practice active listening. It can also be helpful to communicate openly and honestly, rather than letting past experiences or assumptions cloud your interactions.

5. How can being present improve my overall well-being?

Being present can have many benefits for your overall well-being. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, improve relationships and communication, and increase feelings of gratitude and contentment. By living in the moment and fully experiencing each day, you can also cultivate a more positive mindset and appreciate the little joys in life. Ultimately, being present can lead to a happier and more fulfilling life.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat