• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hazelnut Cake Looked Like a Science Experiment!!! Help!!

In summary, the speaker followed a recipe for a Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake from a specific publication and used a 1100 W microwave, setting the timer for 9 minutes as instructed. However, after 7 minutes, the cake began to overflow and create a mess in the microwave. The speaker continued to cook the cake until it was baked through, but was left with a volcano-like effect. Part of the cake also stuck to the rice cooker, despite oiling it as the recipe suggested. The speaker asked for advice and was told to check if the microwave had a turn table and to lower the power to avoid the overflowing.
mom2matt
Okay, what am I doing wrong??? I followed the recipe exactly to make the Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake from the SB F/W '06. I have a 1100 W microwave and I set the timer for 9 minutes (the recipe says 9-11 minutes). After about 7 minutes the thing was bubbling out the top and running down the sides. It made quite a mess. I had no choice but to finish letting it cook like that (it's not like I could take it out and put it in the oven). It was baked through at 9 minutes. It tasted fabulous!!!! BUT, what to do about the volcano in my microwave? And when I turned it out part of it stuck in the rice cooker. Nothing a little chocolate topping and hazelnuts didn't fix, but I had oiled the rice cooker like the recipe said so I'm not sure why it stuck like that. Any advice?

Did it stick to the bottom or the sides of the rice cooker?
Did you have the lid on or off?

The recipe said to leave the lid off, so that's what I did. I oiled the entire cooker, and it only stuck to the bottom along one edge.

I typically bang the bottom with my hand before I flip it over...It was probably just a fluke thing!!

But what about the volcano effect? It was seriously chocolate lava bubbling out of the sides of that thing all over my microwave. That cake is SOOO yummy and I would love to use it for a show, but it would be really embarassing to have that happen.

Turn tableDoes your microwave have a turn table? I can't think of any other reason why it would do that.
Have you tried lowering the power to 50% and doubling the time?

Debbie :D

My microwave is pretty hot, so whenever I do the micro cakes, I cook them for the specified time, but at 80% power. Otherwise, mine would probably do the same thing.
HTH

My microwave does have a turn table. I'll try turning the power down, that will probably fix it. Thanks!!!!

What ingredients do I need to make a hazelnut cake?

To make a hazelnut cake, you will need hazelnut flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and hazelnuts.

What could be causing my hazelnut cake to look like a science experiment?

There could be a few factors that could contribute to your hazelnut cake looking like a science experiment. It could be due to overmixing the batter, using expired ingredients, or not following the recipe measurements accurately.

How can I prevent my hazelnut cake from becoming too dense?

To avoid a dense hazelnut cake, make sure you are using fresh ingredients and not overmixing the batter. It's also essential to follow the recipe measurements and instructions carefully.

Can I substitute hazelnut flour with another type of flour in the recipe?

Yes, you can substitute hazelnut flour with almond flour or all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that the texture and taste of the cake may differ slightly.

How can I add more flavor to my hazelnut cake?

You can add more flavor to your hazelnut cake by adding a layer of hazelnut spread or Nutella in between the cake layers or by adding chopped hazelnuts on top as a garnish. You can also add a touch of hazelnut extract to the batter for a more intense hazelnut flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Staci
  • PamperedByJulie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
CHEFINGREEN