• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried The Grocery Game for saving money on groceries?

In summary, the coupon lady gave some great tips on how to save money on your grocery bill by clipping coupons, shopping only when they are on sale, and buying things you WANT, not what you NEED. She also said that she saves over $5000 every year by taking the RR show with her when she goes shopping.
jaye
Did anyone see RR yesterday?

Did you see the coupon lady? What did you think of that? Do you have any $$ saving tips?

I am a coupon cutter, but there are times when I don't use them or need something that I don't have a coupon for. But, I am going to try the tips that I saw yesterday. I figure I could use the money I save to get me to conference next summer!

I figured that we could share some tips!

Also, does anyone ever make any of the RR recipes? The one that she made yesterday, didn't really seem like something I would make!

Coupon lady? Can you explain more...im intreagued!

This lady was on the show. She is like the Coupon Queen....Tips that she gave:
Cut out coupons you know your family will use
Buy things only when they are on sale and when you have a coupon
Buy things as you WANT them, NOT as you NEED them. Her reasoning being that if you wait, it won't be on sale and your coupon will have already expired.
She also has stockpiles; paper towels, ziplock containers, non-perishable food items, etc.
She states that this year alone, she has saved over $5000! And she took the RR show with her shopping and her grocery bill that started out at $180.00, went down to about $75!!!She says that she takes about 20-30 minutes a week to clip the coupons, and she then goes to the grocery store websites and finds out what's on sale and then does her shopping based on that.My thinking is that if I can save $$, and say I don't use my whole grocery budget for groceries, that's money in my pocket. Ex. My weekly budget is $100, but if I spend only $60, I get to pocket $40.

Cool ideas. The only problem is that most coupons are for prepared or slightly prepared foods. I like to get whole foods (like chicken breasts, veggies, fruits, stuff that doesn't always come in a can) as much as possible...which usually don't have coupons. However, for stuff like paper towels, bags, sanitary items, etc, that would be great!

they hae a guy like that in UT he is called the grocery guru he will actually take a group of people shopping he gave us the same tips and he is always getting tons of stuff for free or like a dollar Ex cereal on sale for 1.50 he will use a 1 dollar off coupon and get it for .50 cents

I have several problems with coupons. First, I never remember them when I'm at the store. Second, I don't know how to organize them well. Third, I almost always buy the generic version, which doesn't have coupons too often. I guess if I were more organized and had a menu plan in place, it would be easier for me...

I am also a disaster when it comes to coupons. Like Kim I tend to buy the generic where I can and they rarely have coupons. Also I live in the boondocks and the only non-family owned grocery store around is walmart which doesn't do their own coupons.

I saw it and was amazed. I do coupons sometimes but msot of them are for things I do not use. And in my area we only have a locally family owned store and Walmart, so, there are not any coupons or big sales at stores to go around and compare with.

She was the coupon queen that's for sure!

I belong to a site called The Grocery Game (thegrocerygame.com), that tracks what coupons come out, when they expire, and what's on sale at the local grocery store. Based on the info, there's a list each week of what to buy. By using the list (you do have to have room to stockpile), many people across the country save more than 60% on their grocery bills. There is a small charge to use the site, but you can try it for 4 weeks for $1. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'd appreciate if you used my email (ann (at) dannann.net) as the person who referred you. If I get a couple more referrals, I get some weeks free.

I cut ALL the coupons that come in the Sunday paper. I don't keep them all. The ones I don't need I send to my sister, and she shares them with her moms group. It is absolutely possible to get name brand groceries for less than the generics, by watching sales and making sure you've got a coupon.

My problem with coupons is they are rarely for healthy foods - Mostly convenience foods and junk foods.

Kathytnt said:
My problem with coupons is they are rarely for healthy foods - Mostly convenience foods and junk foods.

That could be a problem. By the time I get home from work and start to think about dinner, convenience foods are a blessing. :)

..and it seems like they are always for the "new" products, not many of the good 'ole foods that I use everyday.

I agree and my thoughts are all on saving money. I have found some coupons that give a $1.00 off of produce or meat or whatever, not necessarily name brand. They are usually store coupons. And there are times when I want something that isn't on sale and buy it anyway. But, sometimes the sale items with a coupon do end up being a lot cheaper than the generics.We still use a lot of fresh produce in our house. Not as much as some people, but we do use a lot. Staples in my house are; peppers, cukes, and tomatoes. And I just make a point to look at the circulars and try to find the ones on sale.Ann, thanks so much for the reference to the website. I have always wanted to go there, but somehow have never made it.

Does anyone know her website for the show? I can't find it.

Thanks, Gillian! I kept trying just rachaelray.

I record it each day and try to watch it at night. Makes for good watching when they two year old will not go to sleep! I cannot wait to see todays where she is behind the scenes with Dancing with the Stars. I love that show!

She was definately the queen of coupons! My mom always clips a bunch for me, I remember when I have ones for pull-ups, but usually every other one is expired by the time I remember I have it!

I got so tired of cutting coupons, besides the extra time it took at the grocery store. Plus I was buying things I didn't need.

Now I do a lot of shopping at Aldi - the stuff is great and they have the best prices.

I purchase my meat at a local grocery store since it is really good and keeps them in business. I like to have them available for those last minute things I need.

To my knowledge, we don't have an Aldi here in FL... <sigh> bummer. Sounds like a great discount place tho.I was totally stoked tonight tho... I checked the circulars and Target has the BIG BOX of Pampers on sale for $25.00. Plus, I had a $2.00 off coupon! SWEET! Then, I also had coupons on baby food - $2.00 there. Plus, Free Clorox with the purchase of two other Clorox products... (after the flu hit my house this weekend, I am out!!) So, another $2.00 there.Then, I also had a $3.00 off coupon for diaper rash cream... it ended up being 79 Cents.I think I did pretty well! :) I saved $9.00 and it was all on stuff that I need!

What has helped me to organize my coupons is...

each grocery store has a map of the isles and what is on it, you can find the map in a 3 fold brochure at the manager's desk or where they do money orders etc.

go home and get one of those accordion type file holders and on each tab put isle 1 2 3 or you could combine the isles according to what isles you probably wont go down like the pet or light bulb isle and then just when you are on isle 4 you know that is the canned fruits isle and then you know to go to tab 4 and you'll find all of your coupons that way.

this is good to send with the hubby, show him once at the grocery store how the isles match the coupon holder and he "should" be able to use your coupons as well.

Some grocery stores will allow you to use other grocery store coupons, like if you are in California you can use ANY other stores at Albertson's so even if Albertson's is not having a sale but you have a 2 fer good only at Ralph's they will honor the sale, remember they want your business to they will work with you on it.

I just got a Thank you for being a loyal customer from my local Albertson's store manager, and I was tickled pink. Being in the Customer Service industry that we are in, I have showed all of my friends my Thank you letter from my store manager. I don't know if this is a new thing or perhaps because I use my WIC checks, food stamps, and have been a member so many years... but either way I'm excited to shop there.

jrstephens said:
I record it each day and try to watch it at night. Makes for good watching when they two year old will not go to sleep! I cannot wait to see todays where she is behind the scenes with Dancing with the Stars. I love that show!

You do know they are canceling her show? Ratings are to low they say.:cry:

Kodeysmom said:
You do know they are canceling her show? Ratings are to low they say.:cry:

I just read today that the show was renewed through 2010...

finley1991 said:
I just read today that the show was renewed through 2010...

Good gracious. I had just read that they were canceling it. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Who knows. :grumpy:

chefann said:
I belong to a site called The Grocery Game (thegrocerygame.com), that tracks what coupons come out, when they expire, and what's on sale at the local grocery store.

I just recently joined The Grocery Game, too. I'm not at a point like some folks where I'm walking out with $100 worth of groceries for $1, but I've noticed some savings even in just our first month. Firstly, our grocery bill has come down about $150 just in the first month (I categorzied the cost of the website as "groceries" in MS Money, so the savings include the site's cost). We've also decreased fast food expenses by another $100 because we've got things at home, and don't just run out to Wendy's. And best of all, I've been able to keep my DH out of the cafe at work, because I'm planning ahead, and that's saved another $50 for the month.

Although a big part of TGG is the coupons, they also track the sales too. There will be lots of items on the list every week without coupons listed that are just plain on sale. Even if you just stick with those items, you can save on your groceries, but you don't have to do the work of going through the flyers in the paper to find what's on sale. They also track sales that aren't advertised.

The website actually says that they're going to be featured on "Unwrapped" on the Food Network Saturday night. I checked my TV listings, and there are three episodes that night, it's not the one about hot dogs or the one about the hamburgers, but the third one.

And since I didn't have anyone refer me (I saw an article in a paper), I think I'll go plug in ChefAnn's email into my referral box ;)

What recipes will Rachael Ray be demonstrating on Monday 11/06?

Rachael Ray will be demonstrating her famous 30-minute meals, including her signature 30-Minute Shepherd's Pie and 30-Minute Chicken Parmesan.

Will Rachael Ray be using any Pampered Chef products in her demonstration?

Yes, Rachael Ray will be using the Pampered Chef Stoneware Baking Sheet to make her 30-Minute Chicken Parmesan.

What time will Rachael Ray's demonstration take place on Monday 11/06?

The demonstration will take place at 1 PM EST on Monday 11/06.

Can I purchase the Pampered Chef products used in Rachael Ray's demonstration?

Yes, all of the Pampered Chef products used in Rachael Ray's demonstration will be available for purchase after the show.

Will there be any special promotions or discounts on Pampered Chef products during Rachael Ray's demonstration?

Yes, there will be a special promotion offering 20% off all Pampered Chef products featured in Rachael Ray's demonstration on Monday 11/06. Don't miss out!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• twinkie10
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • mrackliff
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jcsmilez