• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Growing Herbs in Old Crocks: My Experience

In summary, when planting plants in an old crock, you should drill a hole in the bottom of the insert so water can drain and put some stones in the bottom of the insert to help with drainage.
amerrigan
Has anyone tried planting plants in the old crocks?? I have one that I love...but I have never used it. I have an herb garden in my kitchen, and it would work great to plant one of my herbs. Any thoughts?

I had a plant in one of mine for a long time. I planted it in the plastic insert that comes with the crock so that if I wanted to I could just pull that out and use the stone to make bread.

Did you drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic insert so the water could drain?

amerrigan said:
Did you drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic insert so the water could drain?
No. I put some stones in the bottom of the insert before putting the potting soil in to help with drainage. I used to kill everything by over watering so now I wait until the plant is starting to ask for water...

it also works to put a few inches of styrofoam peanuts in the bottom for drainage...plus it makes the crock lighter and easier to move.

When I read this I was thinking Crocs (the shoes). I couldn't figure out how you were going to plant something in a Croc. I'm such a dork! :eek:

That is funny, it would be difficult to plant something in the croc shoe!

But not difficult to plant while in the croc shoe.

pamperedposey said:
When I read this I was thinking Crocs (the shoes). I couldn't figure out how you were going to plant something in a Croc. I'm such a dork! :eek:

LOL, LOL, Cindy!! You crack me up!

I wore my crocs to my show yesterday..... HOWEVER it was a Pamper Your Camper themed show... so, I mentioned to them that I wore them in honor of the camping theme.

pamperedposey said:

Me too! thought the same thing...:p

I save broken stoneware to put in the bottom of my flowerpotsI have done herbs and african violets in mine

1. Can any type of herb be grown in an old crock?

Yes, most types of herbs can be grown in an old crock as long as they have enough space to grow and proper drainage.

2. How often should I water my herbs in an old crock?

The frequency of watering will depend on the type of herb and the humidity of your environment. Generally, herbs in old crocks should be watered once or twice a week, making sure not to overwater.

3. Do I need to fertilize my herbs in an old crock?

Yes, it is recommended to fertilize your herbs in an old crock every 2-3 weeks. You can use an organic liquid fertilizer or mix in some slow-release fertilizer into the soil.

4. Can I keep my herbs in an old crock indoors or do they need to be outside?

You can keep your herbs in an old crock both indoors and outdoors, as long as they receive enough sunlight and proper care.

5. How long will my herbs last in an old crock?

With proper care, herbs can last for several months in an old crock. However, it is recommended to replant them in a larger container or in the ground after a few months to ensure continued growth.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • alidafrizzell
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
alidafrizzell
Replies