• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Explosion at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant: Updates & Prayers

In summary, the Japanese officials are saying that there was an explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, but they have not yet confirmed what exploded. They had already evacuated a 10 Kilometer (a little over 6 mile) radius of Plant #1 where the explosion occurred and have now issued an evacuation for a 10 Kilometer radius of Plant #2. They are stating on Japanese TV that the levels they are reading are where they would expect them to be and are NOT suspecting that it was the core at this point. They are still investigating.
Sheila
Gold Member
Okay, if it's not an earthquake or a tsunami ... it's a nuclear power plant explosion! :(

The Japanese officials are saying that there was an explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, but they have not yet confirmed what exploded. They had already evacuated a 10 Kilometer (a little over 6 mile) radius of Plant #1 where the explosion occurred and have now issued an evacuation for a 10 Kilometer radius of Plant #2. They are stating on Japanese TV that the levels they are reading are where they would expect them to be and are NOT suspecting that it was the core at this point. They are still investigating.

I'm 200 miles southwest of the plant. Please keep those closer to the power plant in your thoughts/prayers!

Oh no! I'm glad you're ok... it's good that I got the news from you, because you are who I would first worry about when I hear this on the news. Stay safe. We are all thinking of you and your family, and also of all the poor people who have already been directly affected by this tragedy.

WOW! It's about 6:30 am here in Tx & I just saw the news about the explosion! Hopefully the officials are right and it won't affect the core & everyone will be safe.

Sheila, thank you for the updates, which appear here quicker than on tv. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Japan.

Thanks everyone! :D

The explosion at one of the plants only damaged the outside portion of the core building. The cement walls crumbled but the metal lining is still intact and very little radioactive material was released. In fact, they are claiming that the steam that was released contained no more radioactive material than is what we as humans are exposed to from our own atmosphere. At this point however, I have not heard about whether they were able to figure out how to cool the bugger off. So there may still be more to come. Plus, the second plant is now being looked too as there has been some overheating in that core. Still praying that it does not go beyond minor damage.

Japan reports emergency at second nuclear reactor
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/12/2111466/japan-braces-for-n-reactor-meltdown.html

thoughts are with you and everyone there.

Thank you Sheila and prayers for you, your family and everyone there in Japan continuing. Our family is constantly talking of you and your family (only one's we know there thanks to this site) we worry about you. Hugs.

Thanks everyone. I've been in Japan since Nov '06 and have really had the opportunity to get to know the nature of the Japanese. They are such a kind and caring culture! Here in Tokyo, you could literally forget your cell phone at one of the train stops, go to the next one, transfer trains & come back and your cell would be sitting there on the bench waiting for you. Even with hundreds of people walking by. Odds are, it would NOT get stolen. That's just how they are. I doubt very seriously that you'd be able to do that in any major city in the US. Someone would have that sucker picked up & in their pocket in a heartbeat. :(I really hope & pray that all the devastation ends soon. My heart truly goes out to the Japanese affected by all of the destruction that's occurred in the last 2 days.Should a major incident occur, I believe that I'm in a safe zone. I was researching nuclear incidents on the FEMA website & learned that there are two areas of concern. #1 is a 10 mile radius where people could be affected and/or die. #2 is a 50 mile radius where livestock, crops and water sources could be affected. I'm 205 miles from the core. I don't think (even with wind) that the unstable atoms would make it this far. But there are things that we can do to try and increase our odds of avoiding any exposure, such as turning off ventilation systems (so that the heaters are not pulling in outside air right after a blast), closing all doors/windows and by remaining indoors. We have my son's birthday party today and will be at the bowling alley. Hopefully the concrete buildings here on the base will provide any additional level of protection. ;)

Sheila, you were my first concern when I heard the news coverage. Thanks for posting, so we know you survived. Thank God.

Sheila, my prayers go to you and to everyone in Japan. Glad to know you are doing ok.

Thanks ladies.

Sheila, my prayers are with you and your family. My friend is stationed in Okinawa and I told her if they evacuate her to Germany to let me know and you guys will be welcomed also! we have tons of room here plus the beer an wine arent that bad either ;)
Glad your doing okay.

Many news reports are coming in that are very confusing. The media does not have the facts and are spreading more speculation than anything else. Japanese authorities are being rather sketchy and resisting giving out the facts too, about the nuclear reactors. So know one really knows what is happening. There have been only three official radiation poisoning cases declared and those came from within the plant it self. The two cores that are possible problems can be taken care of almost immediately should a meltdown should occur. As in Three Mile Island, the melted materials, should there be a meltdown, were not immediately buried in cement thus containing the radiation. They are ready to do this in Japan. This process will have a terrible effect on those persons that will need to do this but it will spare the rest of the country. There are also reports now coming out that everyone currently within the facilities, have already been majorly effected and are at a 95% to 99% risk of future issues. Chernobyl, was different. They did NOT have the protective cement surrounding the metal containment layer, no immediate water supply or sea water to cool the containment units. They are keeping the unit cool Japan, they are working on the second unit in the same way, so unless something very unpredictable happens, this threat is actually very minimal at this point.
The real problems are in the areas where the tsunami actually hit. This is what caused most of the devastation in Indonesia. The death count due to the tidal wave was devastating to say the least. The deaths that follow will not be mostly due to the radiation but rather the diseases spread from the mix of water and the dead. Without power or water or food staples, the people of this area will become very weak and susceptible to these diseases. These water born, water spread disease can have a far reaching effect as this contaminated water can seep into the ground water.
The one thing I found to be very ironic is that the Japanese Search and Rescue team was not even in the country and are just now returning after being in New Zealand to help them. I sure hope that Christchurch returns the favor! Praying hard and continuing to do so is the most we can do right now. Trying to keep fact and fiction straight, is going to be another story.

Sheila, thinking of you and everyone in Japan. Thoughts and prayers to all.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone wants/needs an explanation of what happened ... Japan is great about designing buildings that can withstand earthquakes including their nuclear plants. When the ground starts shaking, the nuclear plants have fail switches that turn off everything. The switches worked like they were supposed to work. The problem was in the fact that the area lost power with the Tsunami that followed. The plants have generators to pick up during a power failure, but the generators were damaged with the Tsunami too. With no electricity and no generators, they started using batteries, but batteries only last so long.

In the process of switching methods of power sources, the core was not getting the cooling water that it needed & started heating up. It reached 1000 times it's normal level. They have been working to bring the level back down. During the process of trying ot manually cool the core, the steam that's produced during the cooling process created hydrogen and some of the hydrogen escaped. When it made contact with the air (oxygen), it resulted in the explosion that the media is showing. At one point in the cooling process, a small amount leaked into the air. The Japanese Government is constantly testing the levels in the air & were satisfied that the amount that leaked was not a huge concern. The Japanese are now cooling the core with seawater and are doing a good job of keeping the tempature from rising more than it already had. As long as they can keep doing what they are doing until the power is restored, things should be okay. I'm sure if the situation turns and starts looking bad they will expand the area of evacuation. For now, they feel as though they have evacuated to a safe level.

If you look on the FEMA web page, you'll see that there are 2 areas of worry. 10 miles is where people can be affected & die. 50 miles is where livestock, crops & water supplies are affected. They went a little over the 10 mile mark & are 12+ miles right now. The winds are also blowing east-northeast & out to sea. If the winds shift, they may increase the area of evacuation. The military and the Japanese Government all feel that we are in a safe zone.

The base announced today that we are now the hub for rescue, recovery & aide in the northern part of the island. A local city brought in a HUGE amount of food & water to our base yesterday & the military helicopters flew it up to where the people of the Sendai area are taking shelter. They landed in a baseball field and delivered the supplies to get them through a few days. The people here on the base did a MASSIVE donation drive and we are all just shocked at how much stuff they received. They are calling now for volunteers to sort through all the donation bins, box it up & label the boxes so that the military can load it & take it up north.

It's amazing here. The Japanese are such a nice polite culture. I'm reading reports that the foreign news media are having a tough time getting them to talk about what happened. Even people being rescued are apologizing for bothering the rescue workers and feeling guilty that they are taking up the time of the rescue workers when there's probably someone else who needs them more. It's so different over here! They are all very thankful for EVERYTHING, including their shelters. Everyone is so calm & peaceful in the shelters too. All of the news footage is people helping people, not panic. Earlier I watched a Japanese news story that was showing a (VERY LONG) line of people waiting for their turn to talk on phones so that they can call relatives & relay they are okay. No crowding, no fighting, no riots and no looting. It really is a humbling experience to be here and watch how graceful the Japanese are in an emergency. It's also sad that I've never seen this kind of peace in my own country. I know that there are good people who handle themselves well in emergency situations, but the American news focuses on the ones who are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Being able to look at this event and going back & remembering all the news coverage after Hurricane Katrina ... it's like night & day! Two totally different worlds. I just can't imagine the Japanese acting like our Americans did and can't see the Americans being as calm and resilient as the Japanese are.

John, the count is now up (from 3) to 22 exposed. In addition, the Japanese government is saying 160 people are feared to have been exposed. They are treating them as a precautionary measure.

Oh, here's the Tokyo Geiger Counter for those of you who are interested in the radiation levels ... it's a live update, but you have to refresh your screen. KCK[JE^

I just hope they are being honest with folks about the dangers, and not trying to cover their patookies in hopes they can fix it before it gets worse. We all know gov'ts don't like to admit problems or faults - no matter WHO they are.I can see why they wouldn't want to be TOO Honest- in fear of creating mass panic/hysteria.

This whole thing just breaks my heart. I was involved with a program bringing Japanese college students to the US for a 6 week program for a couple of years and got to know around a hundred or so and had 3 girls stay with us. They are so humble and appreciative of everything and always think of others first. Everytime I read about this, I tear up. Sad, sad, sad.

Sandi

Sheila, it is so sweet of you to take the time to explain all of this to us. It is so sad and yet very educating on so many levels. Hearing about it from you first hand is so much better in my humble opinion It is also incredible how gracious, patient, humble and understanding the Japanese people are as a society in the most stressful of times. You should write a book about this! Personally, many people in the US could learn so much from your experiences. Give it some thought. I am serious, my husband is retired from Law Enforcement and I understand about patience, courage, helping others and then there is chaos, loss of control etc..it's a person's principles and idea of self preservation instead of thinking of it in a patient and helpful way. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, please continue to please keep us updated, happy you are a military family, thank your husband for his service and ya'll be safe now! Hugs.

Sheila,
You, your family and the people of Japan are in our prayers. Thank you for all of the news. I have learned so much from your posts. Would it be okay to share them with my high school students. It isn't often that they can hear things on a first hand level.
God Bless - Sharon

Thanks everyone!As Americans, we are taught to be skeptical and read between the lines. That's just not the way of life over here in Japan. The Japanese are just not deceptive by nature. As sad as it is to say, I do trust the Japanese Government to be forthcoming with the latest & most accurate information. ;)Sharon, yes. Feel free to share as much as you like with your class. ;)

Has anyone heard from Sheila?

It looks like she posted on FB about an hr ago.

oh good - I keep thinking of her and everyone else over there. It just breaks my heart.

We are still okay. Things are not looking good this morning. It's 9:17 AM here in Japan ... here's the latest news release as of 9AM (TEPCO is the Japanese Power Company working on the issue):
TEPCO: Nuclear fuel may be meltingThe Tokyo Electric Power Company says there is a possibility of fuel rods melting in the Number Two reactor at its Fukushima Number One plant.A company official said at a news conference on Tuesday that the level of cooling water is now too low to measure.He indicated that the fuel rods may have overheated and begun melting.Tuesday, March 15, 2011 04:27 +0900 (JST)
Please keep everyone in Japan in your thoughts & prayers. I'm on the southwest corner of Tokyo. Here are the Geiger Counter readings ... a little bit of a raise in levels, but not a drastic one yet. KCK[JE^

Sheila said:
Please keep everyone in Japan in your thoughts & prayers. I'm on the southwest corner of Tokyo. Here are the Geiger Counter readings ... a little bit of a raise in levels, but not a drastic one yet. KCK[JE^

Those readings are from where you are at?

Admin Greg said:
Those readings are from where you are at?
That's what I wondered too...

Yes. It now looks like we've crashed the server. I can't get back in to see the current levels. :(ETA: I'm on a military base on the southwest corner of Tokyo - basically a suburb of Tokyo.

Now there's another plant 68 miles closer having issues too. :(

Thanks again for what your family has done for and sacrificed for our country. But most of all, please stay safe! Earthquakes, tsunami, power-plant failures, and volcano... it's like a bad horror movie.

magentablue said:
Thanks again for what your family has done for and sacrificed for our country. But most of all, please stay safe! Earthquakes, tsunami, power-plant failures, and volcano... it's like a bad horror movie.

Volcano? Now there's a volcano, also?

But yes - please stay safe. It just seems that the nuclear issue is getting more serious by the moment.

Japan, like the Hawaiian islands were formed from volcanic activity. They are the tops of (mostly) extinct or inactive volcanoes

The volcano has been going for a couple of months, but they started evacuating yesterday. That's happening on a small island just south of mainland (not as far south as Okinawa where I used to live, this island is closer to mainland).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198027_1891882941994_1389121744_3024300_2270804_n.jpgThe top line is the current readings. The bottom line is normal from Dec 10 as a comparison.

lt1jane said:
Japan, like the Hawaiian islands were formed from volcanic activity. They are the tops of (mostly) extinct or inactive volcanoes

Yes - I just didn't realize there was one possibly erupting.

Sheila - stay safe. If the military starts talking evacuations, grab the kids and go. You have at least 50 people on here who would gladly house you or people on your team if family is not an option. Not that I think they're going to evacuate... Just still seems like a dangerous situation that isn't over yet.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/15_24.htmlhttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189454_1891975144299_1389121744_3024345_4331648_n.jpg

Thanks everyone. Looks like level of danger is diminishing. Let's hope we keep getting good news!

OMG! That reading just sent a chill through me. Do you have a plan to get off that island?

Prayers, prayers, prayers,
Sandi

WOW! What would make it drop so fast like that?

Sandi

sandilou said:
WOW! What would make it drop so fast like that?

Sandi

Change in wind direction?

The link I posted said they got it shut off. ;)We can see that's true by looking at the levels.

After showing the charts to a nuclear scientist friend I have he said the levels are not worrisome yet.

I did some research & figured that out too ... but I couldn't figure out by reading their page what is a worry level. It topped out at 100 on the chart, so it looked like 90 was super bad! LOL But of course the with the rolling blackouts, I'm just now getting back online. ;)

Sheila, please keep your posts coming. We are all concerned about your safety and are happy to hear things seem okay. It is very interesting to have first-hand word of what is occurring. And as someone else stated in an earlier post, we are so proud of all of our military men, women, and families for their continued hard work and sacrifices for us.

Shelia
I know you are most likely asleep when I am on during the day her in Pennsylvania, but I wanted to let you know I have been thinking of you and as a Mom of two in the Navy I am worried for you and your family but continue to pray for your safety, the peoples of Japan and all of our military family in this area.
God Bless you!!
Jan

<h2>1. What caused the explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant?</h2><p>The cause of the explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant has not yet been confirmed by Japanese officials. They are still investigating the incident.</p><h2>2. What is the current evacuation radius for the affected area?</h2><p>The current evacuation radius for the affected area is 10 kilometers (a little over 6 miles) for Plant #1 and Plant #2.</p><h2>3. Are radiation levels at a dangerous level?</h2><p>According to Japanese TV, the radiation levels at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant are currently at expected levels and officials do not suspect that it was the core that exploded. However, the situation is still being monitored and investigated.</p><h2>4. How far away from the power plant do you work?</h2><p>I am currently located 200 miles southwest of the power plant.</p><h2>5. Can we offer support to those affected by the explosion?</h2><p>Yes, please keep those who are closer to the power plant in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.</p>

1. What caused the explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant?

The cause of the explosion at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant has not yet been confirmed by Japanese officials. They are still investigating the incident.

2. What is the current evacuation radius for the affected area?

The current evacuation radius for the affected area is 10 kilometers (a little over 6 miles) for Plant #1 and Plant #2.

3. Are radiation levels at a dangerous level?

According to Japanese TV, the radiation levels at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant are currently at expected levels and officials do not suspect that it was the core that exploded. However, the situation is still being monitored and investigated.

4. How far away from the power plant do you work?

I am currently located 200 miles southwest of the power plant.

5. Can we offer support to those affected by the explosion?

Yes, please keep those who are closer to the power plant in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Inomiamenda
Replies