• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Your Knife Need Sharpened?

In summary, it is recommended to sharpen your knife every 2-3 months with regular use, but the frequency may vary based on usage and cutting surface. You can sharpen your knife at home with the proper tools, such as those offered by Pampered Chef. Signs that your knife needs to be sharpened include struggling to cut through food, tearing or squishing instead of slicing cleanly, and nicks on the blade. Honing steels are used for realigning the edge, while sharpeners remove metal to create a new edge. There are specialized sharpeners for serrated knives, but it is important to use the correct type to avoid damage to the blade.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Just heard this tip today on the radio, of all places ...

Cut a basil leaf.

If your knife is sharp, it will stay green.

If it needs sharpened, it will turn black almost immediately ... and the basil will smell of licorice!

I'm going to have to get a basil leaf to cut with those DULL kitchen shears!

The reason that works is because of the cell structure in the basil. A sharp knife will cleanly cut through the cell walls. A dull knife will mangle them, causing them to go black. It's related to the same effect, albeit over time, with lettuce. If you cut lettuce with a dull knife, it will turn brown on the edges. A sharp knife won't do that. It's the origin of the theory that you need to tear lettuce for salad. A nylon knife won't turn leaves brown because it's not sharp enough to cut - it actually tears the leaves.

Ann, does your knowledge ever cease? :thumbup:

What a great tip to share. Thanks.

Thanks for the great tip Ann!

Actually, Di shared the original tip.

But you expanded on it. Thanks!

Yeah, tell us what happens when you use the shears...those are the WORST :yuck:

Thanks for the tip. I guess my knives have been sharp enough, because I have been cutting alot of basil for the Satay Chicken Pasta Salad this past month. :)

Related to Does Your Knife Need Sharpened?

1. How often should I sharpen my knife?

It is recommended to sharpen your knife every 2-3 months with regular use. However, the frequency may vary depending on how often you use your knife and the type of cutting surface you use it on.

2. Can I sharpen my knife at home?

Yes, you can sharpen your knife at home with the proper tools. Pampered Chef offers a variety of sharpeners that are easy to use and can effectively sharpen your knife.

3. How do I know if my knife needs to be sharpened?

If your knife is struggling to cut through food, is tearing or squishing instead of slicing cleanly, or if you notice nicks on the blade, it is likely time to sharpen your knife.

4. Should I use a honing steel or a sharpener?

Honing steels are used to realign the blade's edge, while sharpeners remove small amounts of metal to create a new edge. If your knife is dull, a sharpener is recommended. If it just needs a quick touch-up, a honing steel may be sufficient.

5. Can I sharpen serrated knives?

Yes, there are specialized sharpeners for serrated knives that can effectively sharpen the individual teeth of the blade. It is important to use the correct type of sharpener for your specific knife to avoid damaging the blade.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies