• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Master Your Knife Skills with These Expert Tips from a Culinary Arts Graduate

I did a bazaar this weekend and a lady was telling me that honing tools are not good for your knives and to use steel instead. So then, I ended up talking to a professional chef who tried out my Santoku (and liked it very much!). He said honing tools are BEST for your knives because steel rods can cause the blade to warp or bend at the portion of the knife where the hand puts the most pressure during the stroke.
nikked
Gold Member
At our cluster meeting tonight, we had a consultant who is a Culinary Arts graduate, do a knife skills course, and she shared some cool tips I thought I would pass on.

• To have your blade professionally sharpened every year or two like TPC suggests, take it to your grocery store's butcher. Most will sharpen them for free, and their equipment will not mess with the calibration of the edge.
  • To "juliene" (sp?) your carrots, first make it square, then cut slices off, then make those slices into slivers. A true "juliene" is 1/4-inch square around, and 1 inch long.
  • Don't wedge a tomato to dice it...slice it first, then dice. You'll have more even dices that way.

That's all I can think of right now. I really liked the tip about taking the knife to the butcher!

Thanks for letting me share!

Thanks for the tips. I don't suppose she gave any on how to clean a knife by hand without cutting yourself?

Washing
tlennhoff said:
Thanks for the tips. I don't suppose she gave any on how to clean a knife by hand without cutting yourself?

She didn't anything anything specific about not cutting yourself while washing, but from experience I can tell you to fold the sponge around the spine of the knife, not the edge. That way the palm of your hand is not right at the edge.

What we did talk about with washing is to wash your knives IMMEDIATELY after use, and to dry them with a towel IMMEDIATELY as well. If you let them air dry, oxidation can occur leading to rust, etc. Do not put your knife into the case dirty...bacteria will develop.

HTH!

Thanks for the tips! At my cluster meeting last night, I was given the task of researching the forged cutlery more, & report back at the next meeting:)

We have a chef coming to our meeting on 11/20. I can't wait!!!!

food networkGo to food network .com and check out their cooking tips section. There is a great section on knife safety. Also, according to Alton Brown from Good Eats, the best way to clean your knife is with a kitchen brush--your hands don't touch the blade. And of course, you could cross-sell that with the knives!

Great tips, thanks!

I did a bazaar this weekend and a lady was telling me that honing tools are not good for your knives and to use steel instead. I didn't think this could be correct, since TPC wouldn't sell anything without extensive research and knowing what is best for their products.

So then, I ended up talking to a professional chef who tried out my Santoku (and liked it very much!). He said honing tools are BEST for your knives because steel rods can cause the blade to warp or bend at the portion of the knife where the hand puts the most pressure during the stroke.

I knew TPC knew what they were doing!

Hi there! Thank you for sharing these great tips from the Culinary Arts graduate at your cluster meeting. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I know how important it is to have good knife skills in the kitchen. I love the tip about having your knife professionally sharpened at a grocery store's butcher. That's a great way to maintain the quality of your blade without having to invest in expensive equipment. And the tip about "juliening" carrots is also very helpful. I will definitely keep that in mind next time I'm prepping vegetables. And I completely agree with the advice about slicing tomatoes before dicing them - it definitely results in more even and precise cuts. Thank you again for sharing these tips with us, and for reminding us of the importance of mastering our knife skills. Happy cooking!

What are some basic knife skills that every home cook should know?

Some basic knife skills that every home cook should know include how to properly hold a knife, how to chop, dice, and mince vegetables, and how to slice meat and poultry.

Why is it important to have good knife skills?

Good knife skills not only make food preparation faster and more efficient, but they also ensure that your food is cooked evenly and looks presentable. Additionally, proper knife skills can prevent accidents and injuries in the kitchen.

What types of knives should I have in my kitchen?

It is recommended to have a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a serrated bread knife in your kitchen. These three knives can handle the majority of cutting tasks in the kitchen.

How can I improve my knife skills?

One of the best ways to improve your knife skills is to practice regularly. You can also take a cooking class or watch instructional videos to learn proper techniques and get tips from experts.

What are some common mistakes people make when using knives?

Some common mistakes people make when using knives include using the wrong type of knife for a task, not keeping the blade sharp, and using a dull or damaged knife. It is also important to use proper cutting techniques to avoid accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
iteachncook
  • DebPC