• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Unpaid Host Checks: How to Handle a Host Who Won't Pay Up

In summary, the past host promised to mail the check but never did. The current host understood and asked her to send the check ASAP.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
I'm in a bind. I had a lot of shows in June and had 2 in the same weekend. One on Saturday the 28th and one on Sunday the 29th. My show on sunday closed the same day and my show on Saturday closed on Monday night. Well, she told me that she would mail the checks out on Tuesday July 1st and of course I trust too many people. (she also used to sell and went inactive May 1st, I know this b/c I called career solutions today to find out if she had any complaints, there were none).

Well, to make a long story short, I've tried and tried to reach her and she's not returning any of my calls. I called her probably twice a day while I was in Chicago and even before NC. I'm so tired of this b/c man, it's $143! Its not like I can just drop in on her house b/c she lives on a military base. So, I called a past host of mine today and I told her just the basics. Well she's pissed for me so she said she would go there and get my money from me. My host was there and didn't answer the door!! :eek::eek:

My past host told me that we will get the money this weekend and I feel bad for this host b/c she's new to the area and I've been around base doing shows for 3 years now. So the people that have been there awhile know and trust me and trust is everything anymore.

I know this host is checking her messages b/c she changed her voicemail greeting but her house phone will accept messages b/c she hasn't set it up yet.

So now it's been 3 weeks and I'm still out the mulah. Ugh! I think the only good thing that's going for me is that she does live on base and I can make a formal complaint to her commanding officer. I would HATE to get her DH in trouble but I need to get this from her. I left a message for her tonight saying "Hi its Kristi from PC again and I"m sorry that it has come to this b/c all I've wanted is an explanation of what's going on and I haven't received one in 3 weeks. If I don't hear back from you by tomorrow night on my cell at xxx-xxx-xxxx or home xxx-xxx-xxxx then I will be filing a military complaint."

If and when I do that, what do you think will happen? I was shaking after leaving that message b/c I would really hate to get her spouse in trouble but I need a resolution. I just am at a loss and need some guidance. Please, anyone have any suggestions for me?:(

I don't have a suggestions but I'm sending {{{hugs}}}

Thanks Colleen. I'm hoping to have a resolution tomorrow. I'll let you know!

Please keep me posted.I was thinking about this while I did my dishes from my show tonight. (I have my priorities in order... show, check DCS, dishes!) You've given her enough time and you've been more than nice about this. Please don't feel bad... you've done the right thing. Keep us posted on what happens. ;)

I just broke down and told my dh and of course he's sad at me for turning it in without the cash in hand. I know it's my fault but come on!!!

Hey, so sorry for all this mess, but who's checks was she going to mail? Perhaps you should call those guests directly and tell them that you never got their money.

It may not recover the money SHE owed you, but if they find out that she kept the money that THEY gave to her maybe it will help to resolve some of the situation....or at least put her into the spotlight that she so deserves.

Just a thought.

I had a show 2 weeks ago with a repeat host and the person she booked from ordered. The past host seems to have a problem getting her checks out to me when she promises. I have paid for her order and waited for 2 weeks the first time and 4 the second....well, no more. I told the current host that I had to wait for the past host's payment because I can no longer loan people money for their orders. She understood and asked the past host to send me payment ASAP. I made 3 calls to her and she finally e-mailed me her CC#....after she said that she had mailed out the check 3 days before! UGH! So glad I didn't give in!

Hang in there, live and learn.

Zowie!
I have to tell you that several years ago, I had a similar situation. It turned out I had to send the Host a Denning (I think that is what it was called) letter, saying that I would seek legal advice if she didn't send me the money for the show (it was over $300). I got the money, but Host went on a tirade about how pissed she was, how she would never but PC from me again...and so on. My opinion was that it was OK to lose her as a customer since she had spent other people's money, she wasn't an honest person anyway!

I hope you can resolve this without actually having to call her DH's commander, but stick to your guns! She is being dishonest!

I think it's ironic that when we have to take such measures to get the money that is legally owed us, we are the bad/mean ones.

Thanks guys! I will keep you posted. I will seek action and talk to the commanding officer on Monday if I don't hear from her today. I'm so ticked off about it and she's already creating a bad name for herself and she JUST moved here!

I had something very similar happen to me with an individual order (it was an order placed after a host closed her show). The girl worked with my dad, so I just knew it wouldn't be a problem. Well when I didn't get my money, my dad couldn't get into it and the host had to say something to the girl's ex-boyfriend and he ended up paying me the money...6 weeks later. Definitely and awkward situation and not one I ever want to be in again. I so feel for you!! I remember being there, thinking I couldn't believe I'd let myself do this. Know that it has happened to many of us. Let us know what happens.

And Colleen...I completely agree with you...why is it we feel bad when we are trying to get something rightfully owed to us?!?! The Relater in me starts wondering if something bad happened in their family, what bill they couldn't pay, etc. But then I think, I wouldn't order something from someone if I couldn't afford it, and I definitely wouldn't tell them I'd put a check in the mail when I hadn't. Some people just truly are dishonest. And that my friends, is a VERY hard concept to swallow!!

iteachurkid said:
I had something very similar happen to me with an individual order (it was an order placed after a host closed her show). The girl worked with my dad, so I just knew it wouldn't be a problem. Well when I didn't get my money, my dad couldn't get into it and the host had to say something to the girl's ex-boyfriend and he ended up paying me the money...6 weeks later. Definitely and awkward situation and not one I ever want to be in again. I so feel for you!! I remember being there, thinking I couldn't believe I'd let myself do this. Know that it has happened to many of us. Let us know what happens.

And Colleen...I completely agree with you...why is it we feel bad when we are trying to get something rightfully owed to us?!?! The Relater in me starts wondering if something bad happened in their family, what bill they couldn't pay, etc. But then I think, I wouldn't order something from someone if I couldn't afford it, and I definitely wouldn't tell them I'd put a check in the mail when I hadn't. Some people just truly are dishonest. And that my friends, is a VERY hard concept to swallow!!

I couldn't agree more. I'm more of a Socializer (it truly describes me) and of course I have some relator in me since I'm a mom.

I'm going to call her again right now and leave another message. I'd really hate to have to call his commanding officer on Monday. :grumpy:

No answer....AGAIN. I called my past host on base and she called her dh and told him. He said that he would call the current hosts dh and lm for him saying that Kristi really needs to get ahold of Amy. He's also going to say that I'm going to call his Commanding Officer and my past host swears I'll get a call.

We shall see!!

Well, I just got this by email

"
Hi! My husband got a message from Aaron tonight saying you were trying to get a hold of me... sorry... my phone has been drying from a trip into the pool.... shoot me an email when you get a min. talk to you soon.
Amy
"

I sent this:

Amy,

I have been trying to reach you for 3 weeks because I have NOT received the checks yet from you totaling $143. I have tried calling you for the last 3 weeks leaving messages even when I was in Chicago at National Conference. I was there between July 9th thru the 12th.

Anyways, I really need to get the money from you because you have the products now as well.

I would like to meet up tomorrow or on Monday at the LATEST to collect this from you. Please let me know which day would be better for you.

Thank you,
Kristi

Good reply...not nasty, but definitely to the point. I have a hard time believing she hasn't received a single phone message. Come one now...that's a tad bit ridiculous. My sister works on an Air Force Base (she works in housing) and I was telling her about your situation. She chuckled when I told her a message was being left that his commanding officer was going to be contacted. She guaranteed me you'd here from her sooner rather than later as there was no way her husband was going to let that happen. I wish everyone had a commanding officer:) Let us know when you get your money (and I hope she's coming to you and you aren't using your very expensive gas to get to her).

iteachurkid said:
Good reply...not nasty, but definitely to the point. I have a hard time believing she hasn't received a single phone message. Come one now...that's a tad bit ridiculous. My sister works on an Air Force Base (she works in housing) and I was telling her about your situation. She chuckled when I told her a message was being left that his commanding officer was going to be contacted. She guaranteed me you'd here from her sooner rather than later as there was no way her husband was going to let that happen. I wish everyone had a commanding officer:) Let us know when you get your money (and I hope she's coming to you and you aren't using your very expensive gas to get to her).

Thanks Jennifer. My past host guaranteed that I'd get a reply from her since I now had her Dh and CO involved. I also wish that everyone had a CO!! :p

Now go get some sleep knowing that hopefully by this time tomorrow you'll have your $143 and this will all be behind you!!

iteachurkid said:
Now go get some sleep knowing that hopefully by this time tomorrow you'll have your $143 and this will all be behind you!!

Thanks! I just told my dh her response and he was glad she wrote. I then read him your response about everyone having a CO and he agreed. He was chuckling at it!

She just wrote back saying..

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry, I will get with you today or monday for sure! Let me know where would be a good place to meet up!
Amy

I wrote back saying how about the mall today at noon. That gives her an hour and a half.

Good luck! Please update us after you meet with her!

finley1991 said:
Good luck! Please update us after you meet with her!

Thanks! I need it. She didn't reply back yet so I"ll get ready just in case. I'm going to be nervous meeting w/ her.

Well, she has yet to respond so I tried her house...AGAIN. OF course there's no answer so I emailed her as well asking what time. Now my day is on hold until I speak with her.

So have you heard from her? Let us know!

Kristi!!!!!! What happened!!!???!!!

Oh, I just read this thread. WOWZERS! This is better than a soap opera (sorry about that) What happened?

I NEVER heard from her yesterday so I sent this last night around 9 pm.

Hi Amy? I didn’t hear back from you and to be honest, I’m getting upset. I’ve been trying to be nice and calm but there has been no communication for 3 weeks and I’ve just looking to get the $$ that’s owed to me.

Instead of meeting with me tomorrow, could you please drop off the money to my husband at XXXX on XXXXX. He’s working at 6 am until 4pm and he’s well aware of the situation and I’ll let him know to expect you.

Please let me know whether you received this message. Please drop the money off tomorrow or I will start bouncing my account due to this entire situation.

Thank you,
Kristi

So my dh instantly freaks out that I told her where HE works b/c now he thinks she'll start harassing him at work. I told him that I'd recall the message so I did.I sent a new one saying I would meet her in a parking lot at 6 tonight since I have a show near there.

Well apparently she read the first message and dropped off a check to my dh today at 10 am. A out of state check so hopefully it doesn't bounce. I'm hoping that she's not trying to buy more time and just wants me to go away at this point.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of your concerns!:blushing:

Glad you got the check. If you can, call the bank and see that the account has the $$$ in it and is still active. Hopefully she didn't close the account when she moved. Keep us posted!!!!

finley1991 said:
Glad you got the check. If you can, call the bank and see that the account has the $$$ in it and is still active. Hopefully she didn't close the account when she moved.

Keep us posted!!!!

I've tried calling banks in the past and b/c of Hippa privacy policy, they can't tell u.

Anyone know of Carolina Bank & Trust?

They should be able to tell you if the account is open at least. Although, sometimes they will only do that if you go in inperson... which doesn't help much.

At least you got it! If it bounces now you have more legal options.

Well, did the check clear? What a mess. Sounds to me that she doesn't have money and got herself into trouble. Maybe she got cash from her guests and spent it before realizing she had no way to pay you back. UGH!

smspamperedchef said:
Well, did the check clear? What a mess. Sounds to me that she doesn't have money and got herself into trouble. Maybe she got cash from her guests and spent it before realizing she had no way to pay you back. UGH!

Well I just checked and it doesn't show that it hasn't so I'll call the bank tomorrow.
Thanks for asking!

Wow, I just finally got on here and had time tonight to read some posts.
Kristi, my heart goes out to you. I think we have all those situations. Which stinks. But we all live and learn from them. I hate to force legal too, but sometimes people don't leave us too many other choices.
Let us know what happens with the check.

1. What should I do if my host won't pay me after a show?

If your host has not paid you after a show, the first step is to try to contact them and politely remind them of their payment obligation. If they continue to avoid your calls or refuse to pay, you may need to take further action.

2. Is it common for hosts to not pay after a show?

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for hosts to delay or avoid payment after a show. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as financial difficulties or simply forgetting to send the payment. It is important to have a clear payment policy in place to avoid these situations.

3. Can I file a complaint with the military if my host lives on a military base?

Yes, if your host is a member of the military and lives on a military base, you can file a complaint with their commanding officer. This should be a last resort and only used if all other attempts to contact and receive payment have failed.

4. How should I approach the situation if I need to file a military complaint?

If you need to file a complaint with your host's commanding officer, it is important to remain professional and explain the situation clearly. Provide any evidence you have, such as emails or messages, to support your claim. It is important to remember that the goal is to resolve the payment issue, not to get your host in trouble.

5. What can I do to prevent this situation from happening in the future?

To avoid dealing with unpaid host checks, it is important to have a clear payment policy in place and communicate it with your hosts before the show. You can also consider implementing a payment deadline or requiring hosts to pay in advance. It may also be helpful to have a contract or agreement in writing to avoid any misunderstandings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
finley1991
Replies
Views
baychef
  • chefkathy
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
chefkathy