• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with the Flu: Managing Symptoms and Duration for the Whole Family

In summary, Gabe only felt good for about a 1/2 day and everyone else has had it for a week or more. My dad didn't catch it as quickly and is now catching everything else.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Okay, so here is my dilemma....We have the flu. We have both strands (a & b) running in the house. My 4 year old has had this since last Monday night. We didn't catch him in time to give him the Tamiflu, so we can just treat symptoms. How long is this holding on to everyone?????? He only felt good for about a 1/2 day.

It's crazy in some areas. My friend has family that lives in a town that's been nearly shut down thanks to the flu. I had the stomach flu (not related - it's really gastroenteritis) and that lasted, when all was said and done - 4 weeks... to say I'm glad to be sitting up and eating solids is an understatement.

Our neighbors' two sons have had it for the past week. The older son probably had it longer and they thought it went away, but within a day or so, it seemed to be back but it really probably never left.

good luck! I hope it clears up fast.

Gabe (the 4 year old) seems to have taken the brunt of it. Everyone has had it but my 7 year old. I am just worried because he has had the fever for about a week. He has been to the doctor Wed, but I don't know what the norm is for this. We have never had it like this before.

Oddly enough, I am in the only one in my family who caught the flu and I was in bed for about 5 days. Luckily no one else caught it. They kept me quarantined though :)

All 3 of us have had the flu shot recently, so I hope we don't get it. My son does have his first cold though. Hope you all get better!

I always get a flu shot. This year that pesky strain got through and attacked me! Luckily, (in a weird way) I get lots of sinus infections and as soon as I woke up with achy arms, a fever and headache I knew it was the flu. I drove as quickly as possible to the doctors who confirmed it as the flu. The gave me Tamiflu...which made me throw up a couple of times. I felt better within hours. I had a show 2 days later and I have felt great since.

My dad (who gave me the flu) didn't catch it as quickly as I did. He was ill for a few weeks. The worse part is he has been catching everything else, too.

I hope you get better soon! Oh, and eat food before you take your Tamiflu...

I heard from a friend who volunteers in a doc's office that there is one going around that can last up to 6 weeks, and that is even when they have put the patient on antibiotics as a precaution!I hope no one see a flu last this long!!

Related to Dealing with the Flu: Managing Symptoms and Duration for the Whole Family

1. What are some natural remedies for managing flu symptoms?

Some natural remedies for managing flu symptoms include drinking plenty of fluids, getting enough rest, using a humidifier, consuming foods high in vitamin C, and taking over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen for fever and pain relief.

2. How can I prevent spreading the flu to my family members?

To prevent spreading the flu to your family members, it is important to practice good hygiene habits such as washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with others. It is also recommended to stay home from work or school until you are no longer contagious.

3. When should I seek medical care for the flu?

If you are experiencing severe flu symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or chest pain, it is important to seek medical care immediately. Additionally, if you are at a higher risk for complications from the flu, such as young children, older adults, or those with underlying health conditions, it is recommended to seek medical care as soon as flu symptoms arise.

4. How long does the flu typically last?

The duration of the flu can vary, but most people will begin to feel better within a week. However, it is common for symptoms to linger for up to two weeks. If symptoms persist beyond this time frame, it is important to consult a healthcare provider.

5. Can I still get the flu after receiving a flu shot?

While the flu shot is the best way to prevent getting the flu, it is still possible to get the flu after receiving the vaccine. The flu shot is designed to protect against the most common strains of the flu, but it is not 100% effective. However, if you do get the flu after receiving the flu shot, it is likely to be less severe and have a shorter duration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tabnat80
Replies
Views
amy07
  • Karen
  • General Chat
Replies