• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Credit Union vs. Bank for Your PC Business: Pros and Cons

In summary, a credit union is a good option for those who want to bank with a different bank than their regular one. They typically offer better rates on checking accounts, and usually have more convenient locations than a regular bank.
Karen
Gold Member
I just signed a new consultant yesterday who is considering opening her PC account at her credit union instead of her regular bank. I'm just wondering if anybody uses a credit union for their PC business instead of a bank and what the pros/cons of this would be. Thanks in advance for any feed back!

I use my credit union for all my banking...PC included. It's basically the same as a regular bank...I can't tell a difference. And if that's where you do all your banking, it's easier to manage that account along with the other ones & not deal with a different bank. The only thing I did (by choice) was open a 2nd checking/savings in just my name that isn't tied to our joint account so there aren't any mess ups. HTH

Thanks Kathi. I will pass that information on to her. I didn't think there was any difference, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again!:)

I use a credit union for all of my banking. I was with a regular bank and there is a difference. They are much more polite and your banking is made easier at the credit union.

I just had to respond since I was in banking for 5 years until my current job....and I've "banked" with a credit union since I was 13. :)

Typically, the only time you'll really notice a difference between the two is when it comes to deposit & loan rates. Rates are typically better at a credit union, but that's because they are considered non-profit & don't have to pay taxes like banks do. If you're talking just checking accounts, most banks & credit unions these days offer a free checking account with no monthly fee (although you have to be aware of any added fees for excessive transactions, etc.) So if your consultant is only interested in a checking account, tell her either would probably work for her.

I also only have a credit union for all my banking. My only problem is that I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to an ATM or a "local" branch. Just one of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere.

stacywhitlow said:
I also only have a credit union for all my banking. My only problem is that I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to an ATM or a "local" branch. Just one of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere.
What Stacy said...

It is a convenience issue most times with a credit union. If there is one convenient to you, then that is fine. However, the upside of a bank is (especially with a larger bank) that you can typically find a branch anywhere you are.

Credit Union is what I use. I like that people dont try to sell me on things when I go in to do transactions. Also, you can bank at Credit Union Service Centers and use other non-fee atms. You can usually do a search of all the non-fee ATMs in your area by going to your CU's website

Yep, I use a Credit Union, too. It's a much friendlier environment....they always know your name (like the "Cheers" song!).

Lots of perks on the rates, too. All of your deposits are still FDIC insured, so there really isn't a difference.

I've been banking at a Credit Union since I was 12 years old, and I worked for a MAJOR bank/cortgage chain! I could not believe how badly the bankers were treated and threatened to push products on people that they didn't need.

I love my credit union, and love that they are there to help me, not push products on me to increase their profits, and make my life more stressful! :)

Credit unions are the way to go in my opinion! :)

I beat you Kacey - I've used a Credit Union since I was 4! :)I still have my main account at the same one 30 some years later.My PC account is at one locally. I don't have a problem with convenience.LOVE only having to keep $5 in my account and many other things.My one credit union gives bonuses in each account at the end of the year for good years because they are non-profit and also interest rates are ALWAYS better.

Related to Credit Union vs. Bank for Your PC Business: Pros and Cons

What is the difference between a credit union and a bank?

A credit union is a non-profit organization owned by its members, while a bank is a for-profit institution owned by shareholders. Credit unions typically offer lower interest rates and fees, and prioritize serving their members rather than making a profit. Banks may offer a wider range of services, but usually have higher fees and interest rates.

Which one offers better interest rates?

Credit unions often offer better interest rates on savings accounts and loans compared to banks. This is because they operate as not-for-profit organizations and aim to provide the best rates for their members. However, it is important to compare rates from both credit unions and banks to find the best option for your specific financial needs.

Do I need to be a member to use a credit union?

Yes, in order to use the services of a credit union, you must be a member. Membership requirements may vary, but generally you must meet certain criteria such as living or working in a specific geographic area, belonging to a certain organization, or being related to a current member. Once you become a member, you can take advantage of all the services offered by the credit union.

Are my deposits insured at a credit union?

Just like banks, deposits at credit unions are insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) up to $250,000 per individual account. This means that your money is protected even if the credit union were to go out of business.

Which one is more convenient for everyday banking?

Banks tend to have more branches and ATMs, making them more convenient for everyday banking. However, many credit unions are part of a shared branching network, which allows members to use branches and ATMs of other credit unions. Online and mobile banking options are also widely available for both credit unions and banks, making it easier to access your accounts from anywhere.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • AprilM
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • kerenrebeca