• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Consultant in Uganda | Diplomat with the UN | Opportunity for Westerners

In summary, the woman wants to start a consultant business in Uganda, but she is worried about shipping issues and taxes. She is willing to falsify the contract to have an Oregon address, but she would have road blocks in getting catalogs and order forms to her Uganda address. She would need to contact the local government to see if she needs a business license and/or pay local taxes.
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
Okay, I met this great woman tonight. She is a diplomat with the UN in Uganda. She does not have an APO/FPO address, but there are many people she knows that do. She said there are a ton of people (westerners) there who would love our stuff, but there is nothing accessible for them. Her parents live in Oregon. She really wants to do this and has a party scheduled at the end of the month. She is not worried about finding hosts in Uganda, but her issue is that she does not live on "American Soil". Can she keep an Oregon address and still do this business there? I wish I would get "easy" recruits, but they all have some hurdle it seems. Is there anyway we can work through this. She is so excited to do it.

I think you should call HO. They will be the ones to know for sure. I would call your Sales Manager, if you know who it is.

She herself would not be able to be a consultant, since she doesn't have a US mailing address. Anyone with an APO/FPO address can order the items, but the military people are restricted from accepting mail for others. So the your lead would have no way of (legally) getting shipments from PC (products and/or supplies) since PC does not do international mail. And unless she paid import taxes, she would not be allowed to sell to the locals, it would be a custom's violation.If she found a way to work around the shipping issues (she was willing to have everything shipped to a stateside address & then pay the international shipping rates to have that person forward the boxes AND pay the import/customs fees on the items) ... none of her local non-military customers would have warranties! Since she would basically be doing cash & carry, she'd have to keep major records on who bought what when & then do all the international shipping again for warranty replacements. I imagine it would be too costly to make it worth her while. :(

And I'm guessing she'd have to pay some sort of income tax to Uganda too. Not sure what their laws are.

What if she kept her Oregon address as her consultant address and did shows with hosts at APO addresses in Uganda? Would this work? Or am I really in blurry area of ethics?

I think she would be in a blurry area. She'd be falsifying the contract by giving incorrect information.And she'd have road blocks ... how would she get catalogs & order forms from her Oregon address to her Uganda address? She'd have to send all her customers online to shop unless she wanted to pay a fortune in international shipping rates to get the catalogs from Oregon to Uganda.What about her Incentives? She'd probably be paying to have those mailed to her too.If she's not SOFA status, with a military address, she'd probably have to contact the local government to see if she needed some sort of business license and/or pay local taxes for her income.I actually had a UN employee in Europe talking to me about signing a couple of years ago. Her hubby was military, so she did have a military mailing address. But her boss told her NO - that as a UN employee, she could not do that. Not sure if it was his policy or some sort of rule world wide.

This is just speculation. You really need to ask the rule Makers. Let us know what they say!

I did call My Sales Director, but I have not heard back yet. I feel that we are blurring the lines too. She is just so excited and it is infectious!

What qualifications do I need to become a consultant in Uganda?

To become a consultant in Uganda, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field and at least 2-3 years of work experience in a related industry. Some employers may also require a master's degree or specialized certifications.

What types of consulting services are in demand in Uganda?

The most in-demand consulting services in Uganda include business consulting, financial consulting, human resources consulting, and IT consulting. Other areas such as marketing, legal, and environmental consulting are also growing in demand.

What is the average salary for a consultant in Uganda?

The average salary for a consultant in Uganda varies depending on the industry, years of experience, and level of expertise. On average, a consultant can expect to earn between $1,500 to $3,500 per month.

Do I need a work permit to work as a consultant in Uganda?

Yes, as a foreigner, you will need a work permit to work as a consultant in Uganda. The process for obtaining a work permit may vary depending on your country of origin and the type of consulting work you will be doing. It is recommended to consult with the relevant government agencies for more information.

What are some common challenges faced by consultants in Uganda?

Some common challenges faced by consultants in Uganda include navigating cultural differences, managing client expectations, and dealing with bureaucratic processes. It is important for consultants to be adaptable, resourceful, and have a strong understanding of the local business environment to overcome these challenges.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedK
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • makeawhisk