• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Consignment Sale Booth- Appealing to the "Thrifty" Shoppers?

more... this year. What we did was we put a table with our consignment items in the back of the room and we had a sign that said "Bargain Items". We also set up a table with our cookbooks and a sign that said "Cooking Shows". We also had a table with our aprons and signs that said "Household Supplies". We also had a table with our DVDs and a sign that said "Home & Family Movies". We also had a table with our greeting cards and signs that said "Greeting Cards". We also had a table with our jewelry and signs that said "Jewelry". We also had a table with our knick knacks and signs that
esavvymom
Staff member
I am doing a booth at a big Kids Consignment Sale event coming up in late March. Now I need to start thinking 'outside the box'. These folks will be coming into the event looking for real bargains because of trying to save money in this economy. I will have to be creative in how I attract attention- Like having a display board showing "Budget Friendly Recipes", or "FREE is BETTER" or things that would appeal to their "thrifty" sides. :D

Has anyone else done something like this with a display?- where you appeal to the budget-friendly aspect of what we offer?

I haven't done one but it would be great! The new S/S and the Jan consultant news really talks about the (approx) $2/serving and there are lots of great quotes. Start there. No point in re-inventing the wheel! :) Good luck!

You can of course give away free cooking shows, but also if you have a website, you can give the link to it with the outlet and have some samples available of types of things that can be found on the outlet.

Day 1 is in the books. I have 5 more to go (if I stay for all of them). Folks are obviously coming to the sale on a mission- finding good deals before they are gone. (I'm in the "Toy Store" section of the sale) People don't make eye-contact or have their arms so loaded down with bags or pushing big strollers piled with things, they don't stop to look at my stuff. I expected that. I've got two 4' tables in an L-shape. I have a Tri-fold display that has a mini-version of the Booking Slide, the April/May host specials, and a Help Wanted/Recruiting info section. On the table with the display- I have several of the New Spring products. On the second table, I had the items you get in your new kit.But I think it was TOO much. People seem afraid to look/touch. SO, I'm rethinking my display. I'm leaving out a few of the new products. (Keeping a couple bamboo, and the DCB, collapsible bowls). Then I'm going to set up a "KID FRIENDLY TOOLS" on the second table, with a sign. I have a flyer printed with our products that are "kid friendly". So we'll see how that goes at getting attention- since it IS a kid sale.I'll have my work cut out for me. I was a little concerned how this would turn out, but an Usborne consultant next to me (a supervisor, so she's 'encouraging' about talking to people- which takes me a little time to warm up)...she was there at the last sale and said she did get several bookings, some sales, and 1 direct recruit (and 1 indirect). The Tupperware consultants said they did pretty well too, several bookings/sales. So I'm more encouraged. But the Tupperware ladies are RIGHT across from me in a small walkway and they are pretty "vocal" and outgoing. That will be tough for the quiet type like me. But they have their storage items/bowls out on display- nothing at all like what I have.

I was wondering if maybe you could put up a flyer about our $2 per person meal ideas. Like, something bright and bold. SAVE MONEY $2 per meal. Also, once you have them over there you might slyly direct there attention to the Cranberry/White Deep Covered Baker. I found a flyer on here that was about how you could cook microwave meals in them in just minutes.
Also, despite how shy you are, try stepping out in the aisle and "grabbing" their attention. They are there to shop, so make em! :0)

~Tiff~

TiffanyBarton said:
I was wondering if maybe you could put up a flyer about our $2 per person meal ideas. Like, something bright and bold. SAVE MONEY $2 per meal. Also, once you have them over there you might slyly direct there attention to the Cranberry/White Deep Covered Baker. I found a flyer on here that was about how you could cook microwave meals in them in just minutes.
Also, despite how shy you are, try stepping out in the aisle and "grabbing" their attention. They are there to shop, so make em! :0)

~Tiff~

Great Idea! I have a little sign on my Trifold about Budget meals, but they'd have to be standing there reading it. I'll make something larger.

Thanks for the idea!

My friend and I just finished doing an adult consignment sale this weekend (4 days). We did the same sale last year and sold nothing and booked nothing. It was held in a much larger space this year so we wanted to give it a try again. We ended up with $287 in sales, no bookings but a couple that are "thinking" about it. People were there for bargains and the ones who came by our booth thought we had inventory to sell. We don't carry inventory and explained that we take orders or they can host a show and get their products for free.
None of the vendors did good at the sale and all but two ended up packing up early. We were one of the ones to leave early. It just wasn't worth our times to sit there for another 2 hours while the place was dead. People had bought what they were going to buy so we packed it up and came home!
Lesson learned...........no more consignment sales! We do much better at events where there are ONLY vendors set up and nothing else going on in the background. We have one in April so we think it will go much better. It's only vendors and tons of them.

I think they are definitely a gamble. Today (day 2) was much better. I had about a dozen folks stop long enough to fill out a prize drawing slip (for 2 Season's best and a grocery bag). But I was SO SURPRISED that so far, 50% of them indicated Maybe/YES to doing a cooking show, and 20% said YES/Maybe to becoming a consultant!!WAHOO!! It was a bit intimidating this morning. The Tupperware lady was 'vendor assaulting' anyone who walked by her...by that I mean, they didn't stand a chance getting by her :D So if someone said "no", their body language was defensive when they walked by me. It was so bad that T-lady even snagged someone who was looking at MY booth, with her back to the T-table. Thankfully though, when her team leader got there, they both just sort of calmed down and they ended up sitting behind the table and talking for 2 hrs, then they left for the day. I just started putting recipes in my mini-cattys and handing them to people as much as I could. So while most of those didn't fill out a drawing slip (several did), I did get my name out there on recipe cards/mini-cats.So I'm excited. There are several more good days of the sale left- so if I can get a few more days like that, I'll be flying high! And YES- I WILL follow up. :D

Good luck tomorrow. I'm doing the same thing wed.-sat. this week. Just keep in mind that you are there for contacts. Sales are a bonus. Are you doing a drawing? I usually do $20 in free products to the winner & of course follow up with everyone!

I had a lady recently contact me from a fair I did 2 years ago and booked a show, you just never know.....

Love the kids table idea-will try that at mine this week.

flemings99 said:
Good luck tomorrow. I'm doing the same thing wed.-sat. this week. Just keep in mind that you are there for contacts. Sales are a bonus. Are you doing a drawing? I usually do $20 in free products to the winner & of course follow up with everyone!

I had a lady recently contact me from a fair I did 2 years ago and booked a show, you just never know.....

Love the kids table idea-will try that at mine this week.

Yes- I'm mainly working the contacts and passing out my recipe cards to as many as will take them. I got another 10 leads- 3 recruiting/4 shows!!

I've run out of mini-cats (I had 100 when I started). Fortunately, I have quite a few recipe cards left, so hopefully I have enough to get me through the 3 days- but if not, I'd say I accomplished what I set out to. Now I work on my follow-ups!!! :sing: This has been a great confidence builder too.

Good luck with your show too!

I will be doing a booth at a consignment sale this weekend as well and I am soaking up what is working/not working! So, are you just focusing on passing out mini cattys and recipe cards to as many people as you can, or do you wait until they have some interest in your booth before you hand out info?

Liquid Sky said:
I will be doing a booth at a consignment sale this weekend as well and I am soaking up what is working/not working! So, are you just focusing on passing out mini cattys and recipe cards to as many people as you can, or do you wait until they have some interest in your booth before you hand out info?

A little of both. At first I was just waiting, but then realized not so much was happening. Then I started putting more cattys/recipes in their hands. I still sort of wait to make eye-contact/greet them, etc. If their body language is hostile, or they have their hands full with kids/bags, etc. I don't pester them. Even doing that, I handed out almost 100 of them in 2 days (about 3 hrs each day)...and I was not hitting every person.

The key seems to be to plan for the busy times - know when they are...if you can't figure out from the sale hours- then ask the person in charge. For example, my sale has different times- consignors and volunteers get to shop certain hours, then last night it was Pregnant/1st time moms. This morning was open to the public for the first time.....those beginning hours for each new group of people was very busy! So I handed out as many recipe cards as I could. I was giving mini-cats with them, but now I have run out of those...so will just do the recipes. I found when people realized I was just giving them a recipe- and not expecting anything in return, they were like "OH! Really? Sure!". Then those that seemed to know/love PC or showed a bit more interest and chatted a little more, I asked if they wanted to enter my drawing. (I'm giving away 2 season's best- the new spring, and the F/W'08, plus a grocery bag. I have them wrapped together with a ribbon.) I think that is partly what has helped eliminate "freebie seekers" in my drawing and my leads seem to be so good right now.

I've also realized that the product on the table, while having some is nice...most people are barely looking at it or me. 1 in 10 might actually look at it a little. So I've trimmed down what I took to bare essentials. Being a kids sale, I put kids' products out and a couple of the bigger new products (things that are harder to grow legs :D). People coming to the sale are focused on getting in and finding those deals before they are gone- or before the checkout line is really long. So I've found to get them coming IN the door if you can (I'm lucky- I'm right by the entrance...so if you are fortunate..that's great!). Getting them going out is ok- unless they are loaded down. Plus, I can remember who I've already asked and who I've not- if I stick to one way or the other. :D

I hope that helps! I know I've gotten so much good information that I'm always looking for new ideas, what works, what doesn't.

And don't forget- on your drawing slips, when you are chatting with the person a little, to either take the drawing slip or pull it back out after they walk away and jot notes about that person/conversation. It will help later! I do that and it helps alot! But I'm glad I do, because several who said YES to recruiting or shows- seemed to show very little interest when they were with me, but I had made notes about what we did talk about, or about their child that I may have talked to, etc, and I'll remember her when I call, and it will give me something to connect with in our follow-up.

GOOD LUCK! I'll report anything additional if I think it might help someone. I've got 3 days left and they are the 50% and 75% days, so should be busy. :D WOOHOO! :thumbup:

-Bobbi

Wow just what I am looking for. I am doing a booth at a kids consignment sale April 25. I have to have 300-400 flyers/coupons etc to put in the welcome packet given to everyone who walks in the door of the sale. Any suggestions or Ideas? I am also selling stuff so I don't have a lot of time for last min prep the night before. and only have an hour for set up if I want to be there at 6:45am! So I need something that is easy and quick.

Based on the results of my booth and the drawing slips I got, I had about 30% Recruit Leads and 50% Booking Leads, so I'd say definitely a flyer that includes the Recruiting promotions in April (mini kit and if there is one for the regular kit), and then maybe something about what a Host receives? I'll brainstorm some and see if I can't put on paper what I'm thinking.

Also, What about the Kid Friendly Products flyer? I updated it for my sale.

Maybe you can modify it if you need to put more information in there about something else. You might want to include either a recipe card (if you have some)_ , or put a kid-friendly recipe in there with the Kid Product list.

We just handed out mini-catalogs and recipe cards - all of which had my info on it. If someone was more interested, then I gave them a Fall catalog (with the sticker on front saying it was outdated -I didn't have enough new ones), and offered the drawing.

You may also want to include something about the outlet on your labels somehow, or add a second label. Nearly everyone I talked to and mentioned it to, didn't know we had an Outlet.

I'll post more if I think of something else. Obviously, the more you can get on 1-2 pages, the better for your costs. :D

I really need to use this event to help get my buisness going again, really bad year in 2008 and need to get going again. Thanks! Let me know what you think of. I had already brainstormed the kid theme, and budget friendly. Know I need to see what I can come up with.

Decide what you want, then gear your "store" to that. I'd include a beautiful setup of the STARTER KIT ITEMS, maybe put a dayglow tag on the new MINI STARTER KIT items. That's probably enough product - unless you want to show off kid-friendly items like apple PCS or ApCorer and such. If you want bookings, then have a DCB and be a "carny" talking about the awesome inexpensive recipes like 30-minute roast chicken, 10-minute porkroast, 12-minute barbecue ribs, mexican lasagna, etc.

Sarah K. said:
I really need to use this event to help get my buisness going again, really bad year in 2008 and need to get going again. Thanks! Let me know what you think of. I had already brainstormed the kid theme, and budget friendly. Know I need to see what I can come up with.

Ok...so I tried to pull something together that gave the highlights. If someone has a better idea, feel free to modify. :D I used one of the Host Special flyers and then added the Booking and Recruiting info. I'm not the most creative, but it might at least give you all the key elements on one sheet.

Good luck!

Attachments

• RecruitHostflyer-May2009.doc
    1,002 KB · Views: 467
Thank you!
Scott- What is a DCB? I can't for the life of me figure it out, you would think as a seasoned consultant nothing would throw me for a loop. LOL

Sarah K. said:
Thank you!
Scott- What is a DCB? I can't for the life of me figure it out, you would think as a seasoned consultant nothing would throw me for a loop. LOL

I'm not Scott, but it's Deep Covered Baker! =)

There are just too many acronyms! It takes me a second sometimes too to translate. :D

Thanks for all the input. Bobbi I used your flyer cut it down to half a page and it is okay, but didn't want to spend too much money on flyers alone. Tomorrow is the sale so wish me luck. I am getting everything together today.

Good luck! I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but check out this one for some great booth tips and things I know I learned doing booths.
I hope my next even in two weeks will yield even bigger fruit! (bookings at the event!)

Related to Consignment Sale Booth- Appealing to the "Thrifty" Shoppers?

1. How can I make my consignment sale booth more attractive to thrifty shoppers?

One way to make your booth more appealing to thrifty shoppers is to offer discounted prices or special deals. You can also display your items in an organized and visually appealing way, with clear price tags and signage. Another strategy is to offer a variety of items at different price points to cater to different budgets.

2. What types of items should I include in my consignment sale booth?

It's important to have a mix of items that appeal to a wide range of shoppers. This can include kitchen tools, gadgets, and cookware, as well as home decor and entertaining items. You may also want to consider including some unique or hard-to-find items to attract shoppers looking for something special.

3. How can I attract shoppers to my consignment sale booth?

One effective way to attract shoppers is to advertise your booth and the items you have available. You can do this through social media, local flyers or ads, or by partnering with other businesses in your community. Offering a special promotion or discount can also help draw in shoppers.

4. How should I price my items in a consignment sale booth?

Pricing your items can be tricky, as you want to make a profit while still offering a good deal to shoppers. A general rule of thumb is to price items at 25-30% of their original retail value. You can also consider offering bulk discounts or deals for purchasing multiple items.

5. Can I negotiate prices with shoppers at a consignment sale booth?

It is ultimately up to you as the seller whether or not you want to negotiate prices with shoppers. Some consignment sale booths may have set prices that are non-negotiable, while others may be open to offers. Just be sure to clearly communicate your pricing policies to shoppers to avoid any confusion or disappointment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies