• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can anyone help me find the wireless switch on my laptop?

In summary, the wireless adapter was not working, and the computer did not have a wireless switch. The tech support guy at Linksys (router & adapter people) said that EVERY laptop has a wireless switch and if I can't find it, than he can't help me. (making me feel like an idiot). The model # is PCG-9B3L.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Okay - so for the whole week I have been dealing with - getting a wireless router set up, etc......finally have everything done, put in the frickin' wireless notebook adapter...and nothing! My computer says "no wireless networks found in range - make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on".
The Tech Support guy at Linksys (router & adapter people) says that EVERY laptop has a wireless switch and if I can't find it, than he can't help me. (making me feel like an idiot)
I see no wireless switch anywhere on my computer! I've looked over every inch - top, bottom, and all sides, open and closed.....is there some secret I don't know? I'm ready to scream and pull my hair out!

What kind of laptop do you have?

One of my function keys (F2) has a tower looking thing on it and I have to press the Fn button and F2 together to turn the signal on and off. I have a Dell Inspiron...

What kind of computer do you have? that is most important to find out and if worst case is to call thier tech support. it usually is a button with a satalite dish on it

ya it depends on what kind of computer you have. I have an apple and I just have to click on the "system preferences" and click on the wireless card. Its not a button but its on the "system preferences".

I have a Sony Vaio......i was wondering if there was some key I had to press to turn it on - but I don't see any little pictures that look like a tower...one that looks like a battery, one that is a megaphone (sound I think).....this is crazy!

My DH's gift to me for Christmas was going wireless, and I'm ready to throw it back in his face! (J/K!.....sorta!)

At least it is a popular model- now we just wait for a Vaio owner. Did you search your help thing for "wireless switch"?

I did search - and nothing comes up! I searched several times in fact....and I just called Sony Tech Center....and because my computer is no longer under warranty - they want to charge me $29.99 to answer my question!!!
ARRRGGGGHHHH!

I have a brand new Sony Vaio and my wireless switch is on the right side just in front of the USB port and the headphone jacks....try that...

do you know what model it is?

ChefBeckyD said:
I did search - and nothing comes up! I searched several times in fact....and I just called Sony Tech Center....and because my computer is no longer under warranty - they want to charge me $29.99 to answer my question!!!
ARRRGGGGHHHH!
Can you go back to where you bought it? Or could you call the GEEK SQUAD?

stephanieboyd said:
I have a brand new Sony Vaio and my wireless switch is on the right side just in front of the USB port and the headphone jacks....try that...

I have 2 USB ports - both on the back of the computer, and on the right I have a cd/dvd drive and a floppy disk drive. On the left I have a space for memory cards, and jacks for microphone and headphones, and my battery.....I see no switch!

Yours is obviously older than mine....can you read a model number on it???

I was just at where I bought it (Circuit City) today - when I bought the Wireless Adapter - and the young man who helped me told me I was good to go....

The model # is PCG-9B3L......

Thanks everyone for your support and help - I'll try the website (hope they don't charge too!)

gilliandanielle said:
One of my function keys (F2) has a tower looking thing on it and I have to press the Fn button and F2 together to turn the signal on and off. I have a Dell Inspiron...

wow Gillian I have the same laptop and never have needed to touch these (never even noticed them either :eek: ) can you tell me what the F10 is for ?

Becky - did you find your answer or do you want some help? PM me if you do as I might not be watching this thread but will have my PC on all night.

Online right now with Ricardo - who says he can help me.....I'm waiting while he gets the info !

reba515 said:
wow Gillian I have the same laptop and never have needed to touch these (never even noticed them either :eek: ) can you tell me what the F10 is for ?
I pushed it (with the Fn) and my cd drive opened!! I didn't know that!

On mine, you have to turn it on by pressing FUNCTION-F2. It's not a "switch" exactly, but you do have to activity the wireless card to do its thing.

I have a Gateway.

The guy just told me to make sure the wireless switch was on...hello?

Got to love tech support!!

Becky - looking it up for you now..

First, follow these instructions:

Follow this procedure to ensure the Wireless Switch Setting Utility is enabled for both Bluetooth® technology and Wireless LAN.

NOTE: If the Wireless Switch Setting Utility is not in the notification area, reinstall the utility from the recovery media.

On the taskbar, in the notification area, right-click the Wireless Switch [FIG. 1] icon. (It looks like a square disk in the lower right toolbar that says LAN)
On the shortcut menu, click Show Main Dialog.
In the Wireless Device Switch window, under Wireless LAN, click to select the Enable 2.4 GHz Wireless LAN box.
Click to select the Enable 5 GHz Wireless LAN box.
Under Bluetooth Device, click to select the Enable Bluetooth Device box.
Click the OK button.

Soooo - he just told me that I have a Wireless PC card, not an integrated wireless connection. I told hem I don't know what that means, and how can I go wireless?
I'm waiting now for his answer.....oh the drama of it all!:rolleyes:

Now, this may be a dumb question but did you set up the SSID and encryption and everything on your router and your PC? If your SSID and security settings don't match, you won't get a signal.

Oh yes, you have a card, so you won't have to "turn a switch on"....you need to make sure your configurations and everything I said above are the same.

janetupnorth said:
Now, this may be a dumb question but did you set up the SSID and encryption and everything on your router and your PC? If your SSID and security settings don't match, you won't get a signal.

Yes - and they didn't match - but someone from Linksys walked me thru that so it all matched.

So where are you in this situation now? Still down?

He suggests that I use the Wireless LAN access point (PCWA-A200) or Wireless LAN PC card to go wireless???
What the heck does that mean? Does that mean that all the money I have sunk into a router and adapter is for nothing?

If you don't have wireless built in, then you need to buy a card.

Any other wisdom Janet???? You are making more sense than Ricardo at this point!:)

You should be fine with what you bought - are you on this laptop now?

janetupnorth said:
You should be fine with what you bought - are you on this laptop now?

Yes - that's why I can't understand why it won't work....and why, if I have a wireless card, it keeps telling me to turn on a switch that I don't have.

I asked Ricardo if I could get this Wireless LAN access point at Circuit City, and he just directed me to the Accessories and parts center for Sony....

That is why it isn't working - you can't have 2 connections (network) running at the same time. You'll have to disconnect from your network cable to get the wireless going...

I have dinner coming out of the oven, but I'll check in - in about 10 minutes...if you can't get it going, PM me and I'll send you my phone # to call...

1. Where is the wireless switch located on my laptop?

The location of the wireless switch varies depending on the make and model of your laptop. Some laptops have a physical switch on the side or front of the device, while others have a keyboard shortcut or touchpad gesture to turn on the wireless function. Check your laptop's manual or search online for specific instructions for your model.

2. How do I turn on the wireless switch?

If your laptop has a physical switch, make sure it is in the "on" position. For laptops with a keyboard shortcut, hold down the "Fn" key and press the designated wireless key (often depicted with an antenna icon). For touchpad gestures, check your laptop's manual for the specific gesture to turn on the wireless function.

3. Why is my computer not detecting any wireless networks?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that the wireless switch is turned on. Also, check to see if your router is properly set up and broadcasting a signal. You may also need to update your wireless network adapter's drivers or troubleshoot any network connection issues.

4. I can't find a wireless switch on my laptop. What should I do?

If you have checked your laptop's manual and cannot find a physical switch, try using a keyboard shortcut or touchpad gesture to turn on the wireless function. If none of these options work, contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

5. Why did the tech support person say my laptop has a wireless switch when I can't find it?

It is possible that the tech support person was mistaken or not familiar with the specific model of your laptop. It is also possible that the switch is located in an unconventional place or may be malfunctioning. If you are unable to locate the switch, contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LeslieSGI
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah