• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*

our house. he said that it's a part of the ride along program and that he has to work 4 days this week and 2 days next week. i told him that i wouldn't be able to drive him to work and that he'd have to take the bus. he said that he's okay with that. in summary, my son is working at mcdonalds.
pcchris
Silver Member
Hello everyone!
Just need to vent about my DS. He went and applied for a job yesterday, and went for a "ride along" with a couple of guys today. This is what they do...they report to the main place in the morning, grab a bunch of stuff, and go out selling it. Things today were: TempurPedic pillows, 48 can coolers, some BBQ thing with free knives. The company gets this junk, I mean stuff, really cheap, so they sell it at this "great discounted price", and then at the end of the day they go back and report what they sold, then get paid their commission in cash. So, my DH and I tried to explain to my son that he wil get a 1099 at the end of the year, he'll have to pay taxes, yada yada yada, and he doesn't get it. Now, keep in mind that he was in the EBD program all through school, and I believe that he was misdiagnosed with ADHD, as I think he has a mild case of Aspergers Syndrome. He was SO excited about it, and it broken my heart that he was so excited about a job like this. He was all excited and I "popped his balloon of excitement". Poor kid. He said that this job is "too good to be true." Now I feel bad, but here's the thing...this job is about 1 1/2 hour drive to get to the place, then all of the driving involved, winter's coming, and he can't claim mileage because he files an EZ form for his taxes, so all the gas is "on him", the wear and tear on his car, is not going to help him at all...we figured it out on paper, in front of him, and figured out that on a mediocre day, he'd be earning about $4.50 per hour, after you take everything into account. That's ridiculous, I think. Do you think we were wrong to tell him that this is a BAD DEAL?? I'm being the quintessentual overprotective mom...but he really doesn't have normal thought processes...all he knows is that mom and dad "beat him up", because he really thought this was a good job. I don't know...just needed to vent on someone. Thanks for putting up with my long goofy posts.

I can see as a young adult, coming into the 'business' world he may have thought this job is just great! In reality, it may be a huge waste of his time. Showing him how much he will actually be making, after everything, is very intelligent on your part. I would maybe compare it to a job closer, that he would still be qualified for, so he can compare the two and make the choice himself. That way, he won't feel like you guys (parents) aren't just coming down on him and not sharing the excitement of his new job with him, but that there may be a BETTER job out there for HIM. :)

You're right to try to explain it to him. This type of job prevents him from the greatest learning adventure of all - the first time a kid gets a paycheck and sees how much of his/her earnings get withheld. It's just the kick in the crotch every kid needs because you cannot explain it. Like touching the hot stove, it's a lesson only learned by experience.Economics and finance should really be taught at the junior high school level. Kids just don't learn about withholding, income tax, FICA and all that fun stuff until it's too late. They also don't learn the time value of money until after they sign a mortgage - a very bad time to learn the concept of amortization. (Perhaps, if finance were taught in school, people wouldn't be so quick to run up $25k in credit card debt?)Your son is about to learn two of the most important lessons in economics:1. TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.2. You cannot gain on one end of the spectrum without giving up something on the other end of the spectrum.Actually, they're the same lesson.But look at it this way - he's not taking tolls at the Mackinac Bridge.

LOL!! He'd probably make more money taking tolls at the Mighty Mac!!

Unfortunately, he is the kind of kid that has to learn from the "school of hard knocks." (But, mom and dad knocked him out of this one before he could learn. I guess you could say that he got a really good lesson from "home school". )

UPDATE:

my DS came home this morning and he got a job at McDonalds...about a mile from home. Hopefully this job will work out for him.

Oh- much better! And if it's that close, he can even ride a bike to work to save on gas. :)

Having a son with Asperger's Syndrome ... I feel his pain and yours. I'm so thrilled to hear he got a job nearby. I hope it all goes well for him!... and you too!

Thanks! He had a job working at Quizno's Sub..his boss was VERY good with him. Then he went to work as a lot attendant at a car dealership, they weren't such nice people. Then we was working at a tire place, and they let him go after 3 weeks, because they weren't too satisfied with his work. Now this opens up another can of worms, because he is 19, but I want to talk to all of his employers to let them know that he's not "normal". I know that sounds bad, but I don't know how else to explain it. I might go talk to the manager at Mickey D's and let her know about him. It kills me to see him losing/changing his jobs so often. I'm torn though, because I really want him to learn what the job market is all about, and I don't want to shelter him, cuz he sure isn't living with me until he's 40. LOL!!!! ARGH!!!

pcchris said:
UPDATE:

my DS came home this morning and he got a job at McDonalds...about a mile from home. Hopefully this job will work out for him.
That'll help him if he goes on and gets a liberal arts degree.

Q: What does the typical liberal arts grad say at work?

A: "Do you want fries with that?"

hehehehehehehehehehe

chefann said:
Oh- much better! And if it's that close, he can even ride a bike to work to save on gas. :)

He can walk too!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

hehehehehehehehehehe

You're funny!! Thanks for the laugh!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

hehehehehehehehehehe
Hey! I resemble that! I have a degree from a liberal arts college. Of course, mine's a Fine Arts degree: a B.Mus.

Well, then, FINE!Arts.As long as it pays enough Monet to afford Degas to make the Van Gogh.

It's not a very noteworthy degree.

pcchris said:
Thanks! He had a job working at Quizno's Sub..his boss was VERY good with him. Then he went to work as a lot attendant at a car dealership, they weren't such nice people. Then we was working at a tire place, and they let him go after 3 weeks, because they weren't too satisfied with his work. Now this opens up another can of worms, because he is 19, but I want to talk to all of his employers to let them know that he's not "normal". I know that sounds bad, but I don't know how else to explain it. I might go talk to the manager at Mickey D's and let her know about him. It kills me to see him losing/changing his jobs so often. I'm torn though, because I really want him to learn what the job market is all about, and I don't want to shelter him, cuz he sure isn't living with me until he's 40. LOL!!!! ARGH!!!

Have you checked with your local MRDD to see if they have any "skills training" programs? DH has a cousin with a DS who has Aspergers. He is only 8, but they are doing various therapies with him to help him develop appropriate social skills and such. I'd also check with McD's to see if they have any programs to help train individuals that think differently (that is how DH's cousin describes her son)... I know at the McDs around me, there are many "differently thinking" employees.
And what happened with the Quizno's job?

We'd better stop with the puns, before we get into a lot of treble.

Give it a rest.

This whole thread has been well orchestrated, however, my conductor tells me it's time to go back in the tank.I'll leave you with my favorite concert review by a critic:"Last night, the Cornell College Orchestra played Beethoven.Beethoven lost."

Shall I take you non-response as your tacet agreement.

OK- that one's REALLY obscure, and many people will probably take it as a typo.

You hadda reprise it, didn't you?Well, I'm quitting now since I'm over coda.

Go get your full measure of oxygen. :) Tanks a lot for the fun. :D

I can hear you singing the descant."Do not eat, do not eat, do not eat, do not eat..."

katie0128 said:
Have you checked with your local MRDD to see if they have any "skills training" programs? DH has a cousin with a DS who has Aspergers. He is only 8, but they are doing various therapies with him to help him develop appropriate social skills and such. I'd also check with McD's to see if they have any programs to help train individuals that think differently (that is how DH's cousin describes her son)... I know at the McDs around me, there are many "differently thinking" employees.
And what happened with the Quizno's job?

He left the Quiznos job to go to the dealership....more money, and they promised him full time. The Quiznos store had just cut everyone's hours because the business wasn't as good as they thought it would be.

No, I had not thought about checking into a skills program...I'll have to do that. I am going to talkto the manager at McD's...there really isn't an option for me. Well, there is, but it's to have him fail. So, I feel it necessary for me to do that. I'm going to do it while he's not around though. He doesn't need to know that I'm doing that.

Ann and KG, sory to interrupt your hijack. You may resume now. :D

I'm waiting for ChefAnn to write a whole note.

Had to modulate from work to home. And I wasn't sure if you could Handel another lousy pun.

Hey Chris,

I'm going to put on my HR hat for a moment. Go and have your son diagnosed by a dr. I would also talk to the dr about all of your concerns before he sees your son. When your son is "clinically" diagnosed he can let his boss know what he has and they can not hold it against him (or fire him for it). In fact they will most likely be more understanding and helpful to your son.

Give me a call and we can talk!! U know the number!!

What is "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*"?

"Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" is a popular cookbook from Pampered Chef that is filled with kid-friendly recipes and tips for cooking with children. It is designed to make mealtime fun and stress-free for parents and their little ones.

Are the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" easy to follow?

Yes, all of the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" are simple and easy to follow. They are perfect for busy parents who want to involve their children in the cooking process.

Can I use "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" even if I don't have children?

Absolutely! While "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" is geared towards cooking with kids, the recipes are delicious and can be enjoyed by adults as well. Plus, the tips and tricks for cooking with kids can be helpful for anyone who wants to make mealtime more fun and interactive.

Do I need special tools or equipment to make the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*"?

No, the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" use basic kitchen tools and equipment that most people already have. However, Pampered Chef does offer some kid-friendly kitchen tools that can make cooking with children even more enjoyable.

Can I customize the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" to fit my dietary restrictions?

Yes, many of the recipes in "Argh! Kids!! *Warning...long Post*" can be easily adapted to fit different dietary restrictions. The cookbook includes tips for making substitutions and alternative ingredients to accommodate different diets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• christinaspc
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
christinaspc
  • byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Jess_K