• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Does My Jack Russell Terrier Display Aggressive Behavior?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a 2-year-old aggressive Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) who has been biting family members. The dog's behavior is causing concern and potential rehoming. Suggestions are made for training, obedience school, neutering, and medication. There is a discussion about the dog's energy and hunting instincts, as well as a book recommendation from the Dog Whisperer. The conversation concludes with the owner trying different methods to control the dog's behavior.
chefmeg
Gold Member
OK~I have a 2 year old MENTAL JRT!! I just finished outting bandages on my arm and hand from where he has bit me. Why did he bite me? Because I was trying to save him from jumping on our older dog and attacking him! The older dog is 13 and just wants to be left alone. The JRT is the alpha male and has to prove it every chance he gets.

Does anyone have experience with JRT's and/or Bark Busters?????

If we can't get this under control, we will have to find a new home for the JRT...DH is petrified (and so am I NOW) that he is going to bite one of our kids.

I always thought Jack Russell played third base for the Boston Terriers.

Meg- never separate fighting dogs- throw water on them. I know your older dog probably wasn't fighting... we have a large golden retriever that will bite you if you try to take a used kleenex out of his mouth. :)

You could muzzle him during the day, I've never heard of bark buster's but it sounds like this pooch needs some type of training or something... I'm so sorry you got bit-that really hurts. :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_4.gif

really KG, you shouldn't have!

Kitchen Diva said:
Meg- never separate fighting dogs- throw water on them. I know your older dog probably wasn't fighting... we have a large golden retriever that will bite you if you try to take a used kleenex out of his mouth. :)

You could muzzle him during the day, I've never heard of bark buster's but it sounds like this pooch needs some type of training or something... I'm so sorry you got bit-that really hurts. :)

Especially since a Jack Russell is bred to not let go of its prey...and my hand was his prey. Also, my feelings are hurt because I am the one person the dog actually listens to and bothers the least...so now that I a pi$$ed, his behavior has got to change...I am the only thing standing between him and a new home!

chefmeg said:
Especially since a Jack Russell is bred to not let go of its prey...and my hand was his prey. Also, my feelings are hurt because I am the one person the dog actually listens to and bothers the least...so now that I a pi$$ed, his behavior has got to change...I am the only thing standing between him and a new home!

Wanna borrow my book written by the Dog Whisperer? I can mail it to you...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will pm you my address!

chefmeg said:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will pm you my address!

I'll go find it... and an envelope...

Meg, have you been to obedience school with him? I've had four Scottish Terriers over the last twenty some years, and all terriers are hunters. (Terra="Of the earth" so they mostly hunt rodents.) JRT's are pure energy wearing a dog suit, as you already know. I had one Scotty that was a problem child, and he became a different dog after obedience school. He never did heel very well, but he knew that down stay meant he better get his butt on the ground NOW. It saved his life more than once.

Oh doggie school was an embarassment! We were asked to stay after class! It required that we go to school alone because Zeke was so aggressive toward the other dogs! We made some great strides, but he seems to have digressed. I think I will call the girl that helped me train him and see if she would be willing to come to our house and see his behavior for herself. Maybe then we could figure out how to stop him from behaving this way!

I have the book wrapped and addressed, now we will have to wait on DH- when he feels like going to the post office. I will ask him to do this by Friday, okie dokie? :)

I have a JRT mix, female, what a brat! Fortunately she's submissive and looks at my greyhound and me as her parents.

here's what I'm thinking:
- Kacey's book
- neutering
- medication - perhaps he needs an anti-anxiety med?

My sympathies are with you and I hope you can find a solution so that you, the older dog, and the JRT can be happy.

Susan, he is neutered....getting Kacey's book and I think a talk with the vet would be a good idea!

<sigh> thought so....best of luck with the book and the vet!

thanks! I am now attempting to let him out of his crate and see if he will behave....if not, it is back to the Gentle Leader collar......he is a whole different dog with that thing on!

Meg, I'll have DH mail the book this week, how much does your dog weigh? Give him 1mg of Benedryl for every pound he weighs... there is nothing wrong with relaxing your dog with a little benadryl, per my vets...yes I said vets...

For example Laney is 70 pounds, so I give her 2 (25 mg) benadryl's (25 mg per tablet) and half of a third tablet... I buy the tablets so I can break them if needed.

My vet likes benadryl for anxiety because there are no side effects except sleepiness...Spirit has allergies, so he already takes 3 doses per day. Your doggy can have 3 doses per day...so if he weighs 25 pounds, just give him one over the counter generic Benadryl-

Good luck and the book is coming...

:( what a bummer situation!
I have a female JRT/Chihuahua mix (yes, she is the biggest spazz ever, but the love of my life also), and my Dad has a full blood male JRT. It's pretty funny, my dog, which is 7 pounds smaller than my Dad's is the "badass". Thankfully she's never attacked a person but she does like to play sometimes a little too aggressively with other dogs. The last time they started going at each other (it's only happened twice), Dad and I were drinking beer. It was the only thing handy so we dumped it on the dogs. They didn't like getting wet and immediately separated and started licking the grass! I don't know that I would recommend this method, but it did work :)Here's a good website I found on basic type training, not sure if it will help you or not.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/183_dog-obedience-video.htmAlso, make sure your JRT is getting plenty of exercise! If they have an outlet for all they energy they really do behave better. Good luck!

I have kept the Gentle Leader collar on Zeke since the biting incident, especially since I had a meeting at my house tonight and I did NOT need him assaulting my friends! As soon as everyone was gone, I took the collar off and he went FLYING through the house doing what they call "hotruns" to get some of the energy out! It really is funny to watch!

I am going to call our vet tomorrow to see who he recommends coming to our house to witness this aggression and how we can handle it. I think that is the best way to go since none of us can handle him when he gets so pissed. I told DH about today's incident and he is livid....I really don't have much time to work with here as he is ready to call JRT rescue.

I will keep ya'll posted....and thanks,again Kacey for sending the book! I will need it for when we get him over this "insane period"! Jolene, I will be checking the website you posted, too!

Do you have a treadmill? You can train your dogs to walk on a treadmill...it sounds like Zeke is just board...he needs a good long walk every day- will someone do that for him? When our dogs get out of hand, we kick up our normal daily walk which is about 1 mile to 2 miles. The dogs sleep for almost a day after that ! :)

no treadmill,but my fat butt could stand to walk him at least a mile everyday!

When DH started walking with our Golden Retriever (Barley), he stopped eating everything in sight (and I mean everything). He also calmed down a lot more. It's amazing what a 30 min walk can do for a dog. Or even soccer :)
Barley's new favorite thing is to play soccer and it wears him out fast.

Related to Why Does My Jack Russell Terrier Display Aggressive Behavior?

1. What is Ot-Jack Russell and Bark Busters?

Ot-Jack Russell and Bark Busters is a line of pet products specifically designed for Jack Russell Terriers. It includes a variety of toys, treats, and accessories that cater to the unique needs and behaviors of this breed.

2. Are all the products in the Ot-Jack Russell and Bark Busters line safe for my dog?

Yes, all of our products undergo rigorous testing and are made with high-quality materials that are safe for your Jack Russell Terrier. However, it is always important to supervise your dog when playing with any toys or treats.

3. Can I purchase Ot-Jack Russell and Bark Busters products in stores?

Our products are currently only available for purchase through independent consultants of Pampered Chef. You can find a consultant in your area by visiting our website or contacting our customer service team.

4. How do I know which Bark Busters product is right for my Jack Russell Terrier?

We offer a variety of products to cater to different needs and preferences. We recommend consulting with a Bark Busters consultant or doing some research on our website to find the best fit for your dog.

5. Can I return or exchange Ot-Jack Russell and Bark Busters products?

Yes, we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you can return or exchange your product within 30 days of purchase. Simply contact your consultant or our customer service team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefmeg
Back