• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the Most Hideous Plant on Earth?

In summary, the author found an ugly plant and others in the group found it to be ugly as well. The author suggests that the plant is poisonous and that it won't be popular in any home gardens. There are other plants that are more popular that are also poisonous.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I stumbled across this article from the Daily Mail while I was looking for something else. The plant is called the Welwitschia of Namibia Desert in southern Africa. This plant is...weird. :eek: With everything else we've talked about lately, this seems like something of interest to our gang.

Here's the link to the article. It lives for 2,000 years, has only two leaves and is, well, ugly. I don't think any of us will pot this thing at home.

031plantDM_468x286.jpg

Since it's poisonous, I doubt we'll see it in any recipes anytime soon.

That reminds me of a plant we had where I worked years ago. It was a gift to the office from a generous donor, so my boss didn't want to just pitch it. It was really ugly, though. We never watered it. We kept it in a dark corner to try to starve it for months on end. We sometimes put it in the strongest light we could to try to burn it up. My boss cut the leaves back with office shears when it got too big. He had been trying to kill it for almost a year when I arrived. After I'd been there for a year, he retired. One of his last duties before he left was tossing that plant in the dumpster. He told me that he'd wanted to to that since the day it arrived.

The Welwitschia of Namibia Desert in southern Africa is even worse, though.

I've seen houseplants that look like that! Of course they needed water.

Weird.

The author does have a point about endangered species, though. The only species we hear about, and have "Save the xxx" funds for are the good-looking ones.

Finally got a chance to read the article. It may be ugly, but that's one amazing plant.

And, yeah, beauty has a lot to do with "save the _____" issues. After all, no one mentions the dead flies on your grill. Get caught with one butterfly wing stuck to it, though, and people almost tear up.

Q: What's the last thing to go through a bug[s mind when he hits the windshield?A: His butt.

That is quite a plant. That would be great in my yard! LOL

AJPratt said:
That is quite a plant. That would be great in my yard! LOL
Until somebody's loose dog gets into your yard, eats it, dies, and the owner sues you. :rolleyes:

But I agree with you. I can only handle plants that are pretty good at taking care of themselves.

Okay, I have to say I agree that the plant looks hideoous...however, check out the Corpse Plant. When it flowers the scent is of a rotting corpse. It doesn't flower often but it does have a pretty flower.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10143135/

So, are these plants I cannot kill then?:D B/c my husband loves to "talk" to my plants and tell them how sorry he is that they are about to die!!!!!

And I am on a planting kick this summer, so far all is living! Even my fern that I usually kill within a month! Normally, I can grow them like crazy in the ground but a plotted plant is doomed in my house!

chefann said:
Until somebody's loose dog gets into your yard, eats it, dies, and the owner sues you. :rolleyes:

But I agree with you. I can only handle plants that are pretty good at taking care of themselves.
I can kill silk plants.

I've killed a cactus before! twice!

GourmetGirl said:

I'm SOOO glad I found someone who can kill cactuses (sp???), too! I had one that was on a shelf behind my front door... it had a really pretty flower on it... then I forgot about it... every now and then I would think that I should water it, but never got around to it. One day I realized the pretty flower was gone and the cactus kinda looked like a raisin. Oh well!

I don't know KG this may have you beat as far as hideous! I found this growing in my yard last summer ..........ewwwww!

it's just too gross to post a pic of

its called stinkhorn fungus and if you crush it it smells terrible, also gives off a strange odor just sitting there looking gross. luckily I destroyed it and it hasn't returned. ewwww again!

http://web.utk.edu/~extepp/profiles/disease/stinkhorn5-s.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a carrot with frostbite...

ooh its so nasty looking it looks all slimy too.

All I did was quote the story title - I didn't make my own assesment. ;)

GourmetGirl said:

I have too! I do have a Christmas Cactus that I have had for 2 years - I am waiting for it to kill over any day now.

The plant I mentioned is the only plant I've ever cared for that lived. I've killed three air plants. I have a black thumb. Thankfully, The Furry Guy is great with plants. Our property is filled with beautiful plants.

We used to have those fungus things in our back yard when I was growing up!! They really are nasty!

reba515 said:
ooh its so nasty looking it looks all slimy too.

Since it's in the desert, it probably isn't actually slimy. Although, it gets its moisture from the thick fog in the area, so it's probably a bit slimy when it's foggy.

eeewwww.....all three of these are very nasty looking! I'd hate to have any of them in my yard. My weeds are looking much more appealing to me right now!

Related to What is the Most Hideous Plant on Earth?

1. What is "the Most Hideous Plant on Earth"?

"The Most Hideous Plant on Earth" is actually a nickname for the Corpse Flower, also known as Amorphophallus titanium. It is a rare and exotic plant known for its foul odor and large size.

2. How big does the Corpse Flower get?

The Corpse Flower can grow up to 10 feet tall and 3 feet wide, making it one of the largest flowers in the world.

3. Why is it called the Corpse Flower?

The Corpse Flower gets its name from the strong, putrid smell it emits, which is said to resemble that of a decaying corpse. This smell is used to attract pollinators, such as flies and beetles.

4. Where is the Corpse Flower typically found?

The Corpse Flower is native to the rainforests of Sumatra, Indonesia. It is considered a rare and endangered species.

5. Can the Corpse Flower be grown in a home garden?

While it is possible to grow a Corpse Flower in a home garden, it requires specific conditions and can be difficult to care for. It is also illegal to import or export the plant without proper permits.

Back