• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is an Effective Way to Trap and Remove a Large Wolf Spider?

In summary, the spider is huge and scary and you don't want to get close to it. You are going to use the Salad Spinner idea at your shows to get rid of it.
PamperedCrum
Trapping a Carolina Wolf Spider until your husband can get home to dispose of it:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/angelacrum/IMG_0199.jpg

*Shudder*

I HATE spiders, and this sucker is huge. I can't bring myself close enough to kill it, so at least I found something to trap it under - and since it's clear I can spy to make sure it's still there!
(I put the phone next to it, not so it can make a call, but for reference regarding its size!!)

EEEEWWWWW! Are they poisonous? Yuck!

PamperedCrum said:
Trapping a Carolina Wolf Spider until your husband can get home to dispose of it:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/angelacrum/IMG_0199.jpg

*Shudder*

I HATE spiders, and this sucker is huge. I can't bring myself close enough to kill it, so at least I found something to trap it under - and since it's clear I can spy to make sure it's still there!
(I put the phone next to it, not so it can make a call, but for reference regarding its size!!)

YIKES!!!!! That sucker is HUGE. I hate spiders. I pay a bug guy a hefty penny to make sure none of those suckers get in my house. My daughter and I have already been bitten by a brown recluse. My poor daughter got bit 3 times on one earlobe. I was scared to death!!!

Not in a black widow/brown recluse sense. But here's what I found on the internet. (Thanks for giving me something new to worry about!):yuck:

The Wolf Spider is not aggressive but they will inject venom freely if provoked. Their bite is mildly venomous; symptoms include swelling, pain, itching,and loss of skin. They are usually not considered dangerous to humans. The bite, however, may be painful; first aid should be sought immediately
Wolf spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, now I have creepy crawly feelings everywhere!! YUCK!

Must stop reading or I'll have nightmares with spiders.

Oh my gosh!!! That thing is huge!!

I'm glad I live up north! We do get big spiders, but not as ugly as that one. Ours stay out of the house until October. Then we have to kill quite a few of them.

I do that too. I had a huge spider in my hall 2 nights ago. Not quite that big, but it looked alot like that. :eek: I covered him with a bathroom cup and put a big note on the floor with an arrow pointing at him. DH was sleeping & I didn't want to wake him. Then I put a post-it on the toilet lid stating that he needed to see the note in the hall because there was a huge spider.

How do you know what kind they are?

Do you plan to use the Salad Spinner idea at your shows? :rolleyes:

We have a new consultant in our cluster that we just met tonight. We welcomed him & told him he is in charge of spiders, etc.:D

Coco is adorable!:love:

Chef Endora said:
I do that too. I had a huge spider in my hall 2 nights ago. Not quite that big, but it looked alot like that. :eek: I covered him with a bathroom cup and put a big note on the floor with an arrow pointing at him. DH was sleeping & I didn't want to wake him. Then I put a post-it on the toilet lid stating that he needed to see the note in the hall because there was a huge spider.

How do you know what kind they are?

Do you plan to use the Salad Spinner idea at your shows? :rolleyes:

We have a new consultant in our cluster that we just met tonight. We welcomed him & told him he is in charge of spiders, etc.:D

Coco is adorable!:love:

Awhhh , Thanks!!!

OH GOD, My biggest fear!!! Won't be sleepin tonight!

I HATE spiders, and that dang thing is HUGE!!

The Furry Guy once made me go outside to see what he had found. It was a spider on the wall of a shed. It was black, hairy, and bigger than his hand. I had trouble sleeping for days. We don't live there anymore.

raebates said:
The Furry Guy once made me go outside to see what he had found. It was a spider on the wall of a shed. It was black, hairy, and bigger than his hand. I had trouble sleeping for days. We don't live there anymore.
ROTFLMBO!!!:D :D And the story about the cup and the sticky note from chef endora made me LOL!
I don't like spiders either:yuck: and we live in an area where there is plenty, but lately we don't get the huge ones we use to get. I think they finally caught a clue, once they come it, they never go back out! ;)
I kill a lot of the spiders in my house, because I wear my shoes most of the time (flylady tip!) and I just step on them or I shoot them (from about 10 feet away) with spider killer! and then when they fall I step on them!
My hubby works a lot of hours and I have kids and a small dog, there is no way the cup idea would work for me, it would get moved and the spider would escape and then I'd get no sleep!:grumpy: :yuck:

I was forced to be brave when my son was an infant. I was laying in bed and he was asleep in his bassinet and I was just laying there on my side, thinking! and thankfully my eyes were adjusted to the light in the room, (it was dark) and I saw a pretty good size spider go up and over into his bassinet!!!!!:eek: I froze for about 1-2 seconds and then my :mama bear" instincts kicked in, in my head I heard myself scream "GET UP!!!" HE NEEDS YOU!!!"" I jumped up, scooped him up, layed him on my bed, wheeled the bassinet to the other side of the room, RAN and grabbed a ROLL of paper towels and came back, found that dang spider and squished it! then I stripped every peice of linens from that bassinet and basically boiled them in our hot water cycle wash machine!!!! By the way, my son slept through the whole thing, including me chewing that spider ouT at I was squishing, well okay, obliterating it!!!!! It's amazing what you can do when your kids are in danger!!!! :rolleyes: LOL!:D

Last edited:
I am completely arachniphobic! I seriously freeze, sweat, cry, shake when i see a spider. I cannot handle it! Big problem with my two young ones. How can I show a good example? They are scared of them now too. We don't have spiders like that one in Maine (thank you Lord!) I don't know what I would do if we did. I am so bad I can't even step on the darn thing! Never mind trap it! Good work for you!!!

EEEWWWW!!!!!!
I HATE SPIDERS!!!! Even Fake ones!!!!! I need to go on one of those talk shows where people are afraid of weird things. I can't even deal with toy spiders!!!!!!:yuck: :cry: :yuck: :cry: :yuck:

I almost called off my engagement to my love of seven years when he got stationed here in NC when he told me about the spiders here - black widows, brown recluses, wolf spiders. I HATE THEM. I cried, I swear I did.

Sadly, we have families of those living in the school where DH and I both teach. Thankfully, DH teaches there and I just call him to either get to my room ASAP, or send the big strong student down to kill it for me!!

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Holy Cow! That thing is HUGE. Eeeeewwwwwwwwww!

I hope it is secure and DEAD at this point!

You officially have me creeped out. :grumpy:

My backordered quilt jacket from Merrill just arrived....(Yippee!!:D :love: )
Of course, I just had to try it on....when I felt something on my back.

Ugh! What if a spider was inside the coat and now it's biting me!!

I rip the coat off...nothing...but I can still feel something on my back. I end up taking off my shirt and TURNING IT INSIDE OUT TO CHECK I am so freaked out! What do you think was there? Nothing! Here...it was the paper "price tag" attached to the label of the coat that I was feeling! :eek: :eek:

Ugh! <shivers> :eek: :eek:

<giggle>
No Kelly, I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you!!!

You are laughing, right?

katie0128 said:
<giggle>
No Kelly, I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you!!!

You are laughing, right?

Now I am :D ...but I certainly wasn't when I thought I was being attacked!!!! :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry:

I don't think I'll ever be able to look att he Salad Spinner quite the same again!:balloon:

I'm just glad this thread finally went to two pages so when I open it, I don't see the spider any more!

Highjack!!!Will someone please explain the stars, stripped stars and the like that I keep seeing on here???

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! I Hate Spiders!! That thing is HUGE!! Speaking of spiders, I woke up to one crawling on me last night and thought I hit if off. I am looking at the floor, freaking out, wondering where it went. Hoping and praying my cats will get it, and I don't see it. Guess where it was???????????? IN MY SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt him crawling on my stomach, jumped up, flipped my shirt and it hit the ground! Found my flip flop and killed that sucker!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I hate them!!!!!

chefmeg said:
Will someone please explain the stars, stripped stars and the like that I keep seeing on here???

First - congrats! You have learned and perfected the fine art of hijacking a thread! Way to go!!!

And to answer you questions - the bars are for the over-achieving, attention-wanting people who give $20+ to Chef Success - vs. the rest of us "regular folks" who do the $5.

The stars indicate when you have reached a pre-determined, yet constantly changing, number of posts...
And before you ask, the term post slut refers to people that post a lot, not to people who are former sluts or anything like that!
Stripper stars are the "naked" stars that you get when you hit 800 posts. It is the first star you can receive. There is a real reason they are called stripper stars, but I prefer to go with my theory that the stars appear to be naked... which goes much better with the whole post slut thing anyway.

There you go! More information than you probably every wanted to know about stars and bars!

katie0128 said:
First - congrats! You have learned and perfected the fine art of hijacking a thread! Way to go!!!

And to answer you questions - the bars are for the over-achieving, attention-wanting people who give $20+ to Chef Success - vs. the rest of us "regular folks" who do the $5.

The stars indicate when you have reached a pre-determined, yet constantly changing, number of posts...
And before you ask, the term post slut refers to people that post a lot, not to people who are former sluts or anything like that!
Stripper stars are the "naked" stars that you get when you hit 800 posts. It is the first star you can receive. There is a real reason they are called stripper stars, but I prefer to go with my theory that the stars appear to be naked... which goes much better with the whole post slut thing anyway.

There you go! More information than you probably every wanted to know about stars and bars!

Hey, I resemble that remark! :grumpy: :p :D

katie0128 said:

Darn tootin! <she says with her nose up in the air> ;) ;)

BTW, we don't have much trouble with spiders since we started hanging osage oranges (aka hedge apples) in our basement. The Furry Guy uses my old trouser socks to hang them all over. Works pretty well.

raebates said:
BTW, we don't have much trouble with spiders since we started hanging osage oranges (aka hedge apples) in our basement. The Furry Guy uses my old trouser socks to hang them all over. Works pretty well.
Huh?

Do tell! I am all about keeping the spiders out of the house!!

Yeah, what Kelly said....where do you get hedge apples/osage oranges? I never heard of them. Spiders don't like them?

You ladies that can kill spiders are my heroes! :thumbup: I think I could if one was near a baby or small child. But its just me & DH now & Rosie (penis-a-poo)

If I was afraid of Rosie getting near a spider, I would confine her with a baby gate, or put a big crate over the paper cup.

My granddog is allergic to beestings & almost died after one. I don't want to take any chances with Rosie & she is always chasing flies, spiders & bees:eek:

My 7 yr. old grandson loves spiders, snakes & dinosaurs.

I emailed the Salad Spinner picture to my cluster.

katie0128 said:
I'm just glad this thread finally went to two pages so when I open it, I don't see the spider any more!

I'm with you on that:p That's one big spider and not to mention creepy looking!!:yuck:

I was avoinding this thread.....finally read it all.....and will now have a nightmare tonight!

It's like a scary movie you avoid because you know it will scare you but then you finally see it and it does scare you and you wonder "why did I see this movie? I knew it would scare me."

Hedge apples/osage oranges grow on trees. They are the size of a large orange or grapefruit and look like green brains. I think they emit a gas that the spiders don't like. I live in north central Indiana, and our neighbor has a tree. That's where I get mine. Sometimes I see them in florist shops in the fall.

raebates said:
Hedge apples/osage oranges grow on trees. They are the size of a large orange or grapefruit and look like green brains. I think they emit a gas that the spiders don't like. I live in north central Indiana, and our neighbor has a tree. That's where I get mine. Sometimes I see them in florist shops in the fall.
Thanks Rae. I was imagining those clove oranges that I made in girl scouts...you know, push cloves into the skin all over the orange and hang it with a pretty ribbon?

I will have to look for them at the florist!

Related to What is an Effective Way to Trap and Remove a Large Wolf Spider?

1. How can I safely trap and remove a large wolf spider?

The safest and most effective way to trap and remove a large wolf spider is by using a clear container or cup. Place the container over the spider, making sure it is completely covered, and then slide a piece of paper or cardboard underneath to trap the spider inside.

2. What should I do with the trapped wolf spider?

Once the spider is trapped, you can release it outside in a safe and natural environment away from your home. Be sure to release it in an area where it can find shelter and food.

3. Can I use any type of container to trap the spider?

It is best to use a clear container so you can easily see if the spider is still inside. However, any container with a lid or cover can also be used to trap the spider.

4. How can I prevent the spider from escaping while I trap it?

To prevent the spider from escaping, make sure the container is placed directly over the spider and there are no gaps for it to crawl out. You can also try gently tapping the container to encourage the spider to move towards the opening.

5. Is it safe to handle the trapped wolf spider?

Wolf spiders are not aggressive and typically only bite if threatened. However, it is always best to use caution and wear gloves when handling the trapped spider to avoid any potential bites or injuries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • candiejayne
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76