• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weaning Pacifer From a 2 Yr Old

them away. He got so good at it I would catch him before he threw them and then he would just put them back in his mouth. Eventually he outgrew them and stopped needing them.My older son stopped using his pacifier when he was about 2. We tried a few things like taking it away during the day but he just cried and cried. We finally just stopped giving it to him altogether. He has been just fine without it.
Hello to all the Mommies out there! My daughter turned 2 earlier this month and now we want her to stop using her pacifier. She is still in her crib and we know she will be going to a "big girl bed" soon. First order of business is to get rid of the pacifer before the bed.

Some people say to go "cold turkey" and others have their own solutions. Any suggestions? One of the suggestions from our Dr is to start snipping the end of the pacifier until she is unable to suck on it. Then have her toss it in the garbage.

Thanks,
Katie

When my oldest daughter turned 1...we lost all her binkies. Literally lost them and I refused to go buy more! So she quit cold turkey. We used the snipping technique on my son and it worked too! My youngest was never a binky girl....she sucks on her ring and middle finger of her right hand. When she turned four we told her that she could only do it at night before bed. She is having a hard time with it especially when she is really tired but hopefully we can nip it the bud before she gets much older.

You know your child best...would she like to "pass" then on to a baby since she is a big girl? That has worked for some of my friends children. Just remember to be patient and try new things...you will find something that works even if it is ugly at nap and bed time for a few days or weeks!! LOL

The thing that has worked for us...The thing that has worked for us was to make it "sleppy time only" first, so she got used to not having it during the day. Even if she is sleeping in the car, she doesn't get it.

Then, we take it away at naptime, so she only has it at night. Then, when we move to the "big bed", the pacifier goes too, because now she's a "big girl".

My Pastors in Wichita Falls, Texas use the snipping method with great success. The little ones don't realize it's you causing the problem, so you are not the bad guy. The plugs just don't work anymore!

HTH!

When Kaylee was 18mths old we went cold turkey. I told her 'big girls don't take pacis' and we threw them away together. She whined a few times in the car and at bedtime but it was really VERY easy. Of course at that time it was just me and her in the house and she was sleeping in my bed with me, I'm sure that helped.

My boys were not much anto the pacifiers but when we did take them away we quit cold turkey. I worked good. I agree with the slowly stopping it, only giving her the pacifier at night and then slowly weaning her off. You know your daughter best so you both will know what to do.

We just went through this about 5 months ago right after our son turned 2. We took it away cold turkey, but kind of told him it was coming. We figured he would have to cry himself to sleep the first few nights, but it was not nearly as bad as we thought!

My son stopped taking pacifiers at about 6 or 7 months old we tried to keep him on it; but then he threw it in the toilet one day and that was the end of that; but trying to ween him is a different story.

When my daughter was 2 1/2 - she was a big binky user - literally always drooling and her face looked chapped all the time and her teeth had a big gap in the middle of them. One day we noticed she had a hole in her binky and told her to throw it in the garbage - which she did and then we didn't replace it. Told her she was a big girl and she'd be fine - she was awesome about it - never carried on and told people how she had to throw it away cause it broke. Her face cleared up and her bite went back to normal (thank God!) -

My one son was 18 months old - had a horrible cold and we just tossed it and never gave him a new one - there's nothing they can do about it once it's gone - it's not like they can drive to the store and buy a new one:) I guess I was pretty lucky!

Gina Miller

I poked holes in all of my son's "passes." Every time he sucked on one he would tell me they were broken so I would tell him to throw it away. Eventually they all "broke" and I reminded him that he (not me) threw all of his passes.

I also read a story on babycenter.com about a Pacifier Fairy that comes to all the "big" girls and boys and takes their pacifiers to give tothe babies. As a thank you, she leaves a big kid toy for them. (she also left a little glitter on the window sill)

Here is the link : http://www.mambaby.com/websystem301/site/index.php?articleid=186&nodeid=284#2

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandy
What a great story. It sounds fun at your house. LOL LOL

Well with my oldest I got to where I only gave her the pacifier when she went to bed or took a nap other than that it was lost. She finally got to where she would fall asleep without it cause she would forget about it since she hadn't had it all day. My son just threw his away one day. Amazing I know. And my youngest daughter well I just got sick of looking for lost pacifiers cause she throw them down when she didn't want it. So she pretty much did cold turkey. There were the moments where I almost broke and gave it back but I held in there.
Really if you take it way and they really need that comfort they will start sucking on their thumb or finger. My youngest has her blankey that she take everywhere with her. Don't think I'll break her of that for a while. That one I don't mind. LOL :)

Cold Turkey for usI took my son's away at about 18 months. I really hated too only because it was the only thing that helped keep him quiet in Church!! I just knew it was going to be this huge tramatic experience, but he adjusted very fast. He only cried the first day at nap time and that was it! He would go to bed at night without it with no problem.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to stick with the snipping of the pacifer. I snipped a little more yesterday and it was so funny when I gave it to her. She said, "Oh no! What happened?" I told her it was broken and asked her if we should throw it out. She didn't want too. I'm just going to keep snipping until she can't use it anymore and let her toss it in the garbage.

Ok - I have to share. My son thought his Big Daddy (grand dad) would fix the moon everytime it broke (went through phases) We would have to call and tell him it was broken again and Big Daddy needed to fix it. Well - it came time to get rid of the bippies in our house so we cut the end. My son cried that his bippie was broke and Big Daddy needed to fix it. Luckily, Big Daddy lives 300 miles away and couldn't offer a quick fix. His whining only lasted a couple of days.

Okay, for the last week or so I have been snipping a little of her pacifer every couple of days. Last night, she walked it to the garbage and tossed, before bed. My husband and I were happy and scared at the same time. After she did this we made it a huge production telling her what a good big girl she is now and so on. We even let her pick a piece of chocolate from her Halloween bag.

She cried for about 20 minutes and fell asleep no problem. We were still scared because we didn't know what the night would bring us. She lasted until about 330a and was crying and crying. I gave in and went by her after she was doing it for a half an hour. She wasn't very happy and wanted to know where she pacifer was and I told her she put it in the garbage. We spent the rest of the night on the couch. Boy, what that comfortable with a 2 year old.

After I went in by her the first time I realized it was a mistake. I should of let her alone and cry it out. But it was hard thinking how sad she was without it and I wanted to comfort her. Any suggestions for this evening?

Thanks,
Katie

I do not think you were wrong to go in and comfort her! This is an adjustment time and she needed soothing. It will get better, slowly but surely. I am not a believer in the "cry it out method" myself. If your little angel needs comfort, comfort her! That's what parents are for IMHO. Soon she will be all grown up. :)

-Sue

I would love to try this sniping method on my two and a half year old. His is in love with his pacifier. We are down to one now, he used to sleep with 3 or 4 (one in each hand, one in his mouth, and the fourth his squeezed with his foot) He calls them ba-bas and he makes me kiss ba ba goodnight when he goes to sleep. We are down to having ba ba just during naps and bedtime. My only concern with the sniping off the end is that he will be upset that his ba ba is injured. I wont let him cry it out. We have tried getting him attached to other comforters, such as a bear a blanket, but he could care less. He does love Thomas the tank engine and was sleeping with him for a while, but then he just forgot all about thomas. My other problem is a new baby and she has pacifiers too. When she first came home he had a teeny little pink one in his mouth at night. I wish there was a way to get rid of the pacifiers without causing mental anguish, but this little guy seriously loves the pacifier. I even tuck the baba in at night. Seriously! He puts it under the covers! I may find an old ba ba and snip off the end for him. I dont mind him caring them around, I just dont like them in his mouth.

Well, it's been 2 nights in the row for Miss Madelyn to not have her pacifer for her naps and at bedtime. Last night was a better night, she slept until 630a. Today was garbage day for us too and she loves seeing the garbage trucks drive by. We told her her pacifer was going to be picked up today and taken to baby that needs it. We told her how she has been such a big girl the last few days. It even helps to get the extended family involved.

The big test was today when we were at my friends house and her youngest is 9 months. she had a pacifer and Madi never tried to take it from her. (She was known to be a pacifer snatcher).

ChefJesssica-I say just try and it and you may be surprised how your little one handles it. We thought it would be the worst days of our lives and they haven't been that bad.

This will work!What you should do is explain to her that there are other babies who need binkies or pacifiers (whatever you call it) and that you will both go around the house together and collect all the binkies and put them in a bag. Then, go outside and tie the bag to the tree and explain that the binkie fairy will come overnight and get the bag to deliver the binkies to the other babies and will leave her a present for being such a big girl. Then, before she wakes up, go put her present by the tree outside and let her go outside to get it with you. hope this helps!

What if your child HATES babies?
threecobles said:
What you should do is explain to her that there are other babies who need binkies or pacifiers (whatever you call it) and that you will both go around the house together and collect all the binkies and put them in a bag. !

What if your son could care less about other babies? I swear I spend half the day making sure my two year old isnt throwing cars and trains at the baby. My mother said she heard that I should spray hairspray on the pcifier, but that seems a little severe to me!

Hair spray???
ChefJesssica said:
What if your son could care less about other babies? I swear I spend half the day making sure my two year old isnt throwing cars and trains at the baby. My mother said she heard that I should spray hairspray on the pcifier, but that seems a little severe to me!

That might be a little harsh and poisonus...lol....but I think maybe flavoring with something not so great tasting might work. How about something he really dislikes but not something that will make him throw up.

We went cold turkey. I really got a kick out of the 3 or 4 pacifiers at one time. That is hilarious and I keep picturing it!!! LOL

As for the throwing cars and trains, I say play pen prison or the corner for that little guy. We personally use corporal punishment but that is another thread entirely!!!

Debbie :D

Debbie,

My husband and I have been discussing it alot this evening (the throwing and hitting things at the baby). I am this close to spanking, but my husband is against it. He thinks it wont work if we hit our son when he hits others. I agree, BUT when he goes in the corner he just giggles. Seriously it doesn't phase him! I know I am obviously doing something wrong. Today I told him I was going to give all his toys to the garbage man and he offered to help. He is such a funny little guy. And besides this hurting the baby (which isn't happening every day but probably once or twice a week) he is a perfect little boy. I have NEVER had any issues with him in public. He is as sweet as can be and has never thrown a fit in public. Never acted angry, nothing. Maybe I should just start spending the days out shopping or something! Its so frustrating becuase he dosen't warn me. he will be so sweet and then boom! he empties his train box on her(its a small box). I keep them seperated but lots of times she is in the room with us. I may try your pen prison idea. We have a pack and play and that would just piss him off if I put him in there. LOL. And he hates brocolli! So TOMMORROW I have a plan. Pack and play if we have any little sister incidents and I am going to rub brocolli all over his pacifier!

My daughter was SO addicted to pacifiers, she had to carry about 10 of them at all times while she sucked on one and kept switching with the carried pacifiers. On her 2nd birthday, I decided that she could only use them for sleeping. My unexpected benefit was that now she WANTED to take a nap and go to bed!!

When it came time to wean her off altogether, we had the "dice fairy" (she called them dice for some reason) come. She collected them all and we put them in a basket by the door and the "dice fairy" left toys in their place.

Katie,

My daughter is a Madolyn too - and we call her Miss Madolyn as well - glad to hear she's doing well with it.

Gina Miller

Related to Weaning Pacifer From a 2 Yr Old

1. Can I simply take away my child's pacifier without any replacement?

No, sudden removal of a pacifier can be very distressing for a child. It is important to gradually wean them off by reducing the frequency and duration of pacifier use.

2. At what age should I start weaning my child off the pacifier?

Most children are ready to give up their pacifiers between 2-4 years old. However, every child is different and it ultimately depends on their individual readiness.

3. How long should the weaning process take?

The weaning process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to be patient and consistent with the process, as it may take some time for your child to adjust.

4. What are some alternative soothing techniques I can use instead of a pacifier?

There are many alternative soothing techniques, such as offering a favorite toy or blanket, using calming music or white noise, and providing extra cuddles and attention. It's important to find what works best for your child.

5. What if my child refuses to give up the pacifier?

If your child is having difficulty giving up the pacifier, it may be helpful to involve them in the weaning process. You can have them pick out a special toy or gift to give to the "pacifier fairy" in exchange for their pacifier. You can also gradually reduce the pacifier use until it is no longer needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mbh06
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl