• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warren Buffett's Wife Fends Off Intruder with Pampered Chef Cutlery | AP News

doesn't just go to his kids or grandkids. He still helps out his grandchildren with college even though he doesn't have to. And he also provides other things like cars and houses for his kids.
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
Just saw this. Since everything turned out fine I feel it's okay to make this joke :) Wouldn't it be funny if the title was "Buffett's Wife Fends Off Intruder..... with Pampered Chef Forged Cutlery!"

I have actually joked at shows that some of our tools are so sharp to be careful they can be used as weapons. If your husband goes out of town, feel free to sleep with the v-shaped cutter by your side :)

I found it interesting that they still live in the same house they bought almost 30 years ago!

Buffett's Wife Fends Off Intruder
AP
Posted: 2007-09-06 18:35:48
OMAHA (Sept. 6) - A man with camouflage paint on his face and a fake gun tried to break into to billionaire Warren Buffett 's house but fled after a scuffle with a security guard, police said Thursday.

Buffett's wife, Astrid, summoned the guard after the doorbell rang shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday, police said.

The security guard found the man, dressed in black, on the home's front porch and confronted him, police said. The man hit the guard on the head, then fled and remained at large Thursday.

Neither Buffett, who was home at the time, nor his wife was injured, police said.

Buffett spokeswoman Jackie Wilson did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Forbes lists Buffett is the world's third-richest man, with an estimated net worth of around $52 billion. The chairman and chief executive of Omaha-based Berkshire Hathaway lives in the same ungated, 5,830-square-foot home he bought in 1958 for $31,500.

Police described the case as an attempted robbery but said the suspect never entered the home.

GeorgiaPeach said:
J

I found it interesting that they still live in the same house they bought almost 30 years ago!

Buffett's Wife Fends Off Intruder
The chairman and chief executive of Omaha-based Berkshire Hathaway lives in the same ungated, 5,830-square-foot home he bought in 1958 for $31,500.

Check your math - almost 50 years!!!:D :D :D

cmdtrgd said:
Check your math - almost 50 years!!!:D :D :D

Oops...it was late!! :eek: Or maybe I'm still living in the 80's :love:

Wow. I'm glad she's ok.My husband and I have said that if we ever won the lottery, we wouldn't sell our house. We'd add on a bit, but that's all. Not that winning the lottery and earning billions of dollars are the same thing, but I admire them for apparently not buying a bunch of crap just because they're rich. :)

He is frugal sp?. He helps his grandchildren with college but does not pay for it. One was on Oprah and seemed upset but understanding that she had to do it on her own. Not sure if anyone remembers he went to a PC party that a consultant in his town invited him to when he bought PC the article ended with do not invite him to more but it was his first and he was happy to see what we do. Maybe he bought the knife at that party.

I think he's such an interesting man; I watched a show about him once. Love that he doesn't just hand everything over to his kids/grandkids & make them spoiled.

lacychef said:
I think he's such an interesting man; I watched a show about him once. Love that he doesn't just hand everything over to his kids/grandkids & make them spoiled.
My dh says if we came into money (lottery - ha!) we wouldn't hand it over either. ...but we would pay for college as long as they all kept their grades up. ...and I'm sure provide other things.

jenniferp417 said:
Wow. I'm glad she's ok.

My husband and I have said that if we ever won the lottery, we wouldn't sell our house. We'd add on a bit, but that's all. Not that winning the lottery and earning billions of dollars are the same thing, but I admire them for apparently not buying a bunch of crap just because they're rich. :)

If I won the lottery I wouldn't sell my house either...oh wait I don't own a house...I would definately buy myself a new house since right now I live with my mom. Then I would buy myself everything in the PC catalog and my mom everything in the PC catalog.

If I won the lottery...I'd build a house (I am renting right now)....then a "nice" SUV, then I would pay off my mom and brother's houses for them! ....then try to save whatever is left.....if there is anything left!

My family is from Omaha and whenever we would go to the area where is house is for Halloween, we got regular size (sometime king size) candy bars. It was awesome!

Yeah, from what I understand Warren is a very frugal man and that his money/assets will not be left to his kids or grandchildren. He's very big about having them earn it on their own.

I watched a special on him and yes he is modest, frugal, and certainly lives a most unassuming life.

He is VERY frugal. I worked for a company the Berkshire owned before becoming a SAHM. It was apparent that saving money was a company motto and it came from the top down. I think America needs more CEOs that are like this though since we have had a rash of theives stealing from employee's 401Ks lately... Enron etc.

lacychef said:

Hmmm...can anyone say "Paris Hilton"? Perfect example of what happens when you hand over your money!

PCJenni said:
He is VERY frugal. I worked for a company the Berkshire owned before becoming a SAHM. It was apparent that saving money was a company motto and it came from the top down. I think America needs more CEOs that are like this though since we have had a rash of theives stealing from employee's 401Ks lately... Enron etc.

Exactly! Maybe even some folks in political offices too! ;)

I used to work for Ross Perot - The guys like these that worked their way to the top know how to invest and watch their money. Ross doesn't drive a flashy car, he has a plane but it's wasn't new when he bought it.

When JFK Jr. crashed some guys at work were making comments about why was the guy flying a used airplane. How many miles do you think the plane flew before he even bought it - These guys know how to make and keep thier money.

I think the kids that are handed everything on a silver platter don't learn to appreciate it (Anyone familiar with Paris Hilton)

I will now step off my soap box for now

Kat

Anyone ever heard the phrase "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations?" Historically, it's one person who creates the business and makes the money and passes it to their child, who takes it for granted and spoils their children, and those children run the business into the ground and blow all the money.Hopefully guys like Buffet will change that a little bit at least for their families.

Kathytnt said:
I used to work for Ross Perot - The guys like these that worked their way to the top know how to invest and watch their money. Ross doesn't drive a flashy car, he has a plane but it's wasn't new when he bought it.

When JFK Jr. crashed some guys at work were making comments about why was the guy flying a used airplane. How many miles do you think the plane flew before he even bought it - These guys know how to make and keep thier money.

I think the kids that are handed everything on a silver platter don't learn to appreciate it (Anyone familiar with Paris Hilton)

I will now step off my soap box for now

Kat

Not to hijack the thread or create a stir - but this is one of the reasons why my DH and I are having our kids be responsible for their college. We'll help them with living expenses/books/etc... but their tutition will be their responsibility. We have a handful of friends from college that had their tutition paid for by their parents and found that their motivation to succeed wasn't as high as those who were responsible for their own tutition. Again, I'm not saying this is accross the board or anything like that. My DH and I had to put ourselves through college and I felt that helped with our responsibility and ability to manage money. Okay, I'm done now.

Leigh0725 said:
My family is from Omaha and whenever we would go to the area where is house is for Halloween, we got regular size (sometime king size) candy bars. It was awesome!

Yeah, from what I understand Warren is a very frugal man and that his money/assets will not be left to his kids or grandchildren. He's very big about having them earn it on their own.

hey where are you from in KS?:thumbup:

Leigh0725 said:
Not to hijack the thread or create a stir - but this is one of the reasons why my DH and I are having our kids be responsible for their college. We'll help them with living expenses/books/etc... but their tutition will be their responsibility. We have a handful of friends from college that had their tutition paid for by their parents and found that their motivation to succeed wasn't as high as those who were responsible for their own tutition. Again, I'm not saying this is accross the board or anything like that. My DH and I had to put ourselves through college and I felt that helped with our responsibility and ability to manage money. Okay, I'm done now.

My parents did the same thing with us. We could live at home rent-free while we were in school, and that was as much as they would (or could, really) help. I think school did mean more to all of us since we had to find ways to make it work ourselves.

lacychef said:
hey where are you from in KS?:thumbup:

I'm up in the North Kansas city area. You?

Leigh0725 said:

Our plan is to put aside money for college for the kids, but not to tell them about it. They when they are actually in college, we will help like you suggested (living expenses, books, etc.) provided their grades are acceptable. Then, again provided they actually worked and are deserving of it, we will pay off any student loans as a SURPRISE graduation present. I had to pay for almost all of my college and it would have been a HUGE burden lifted if my loans were paid off as a gift!!! How cool would that be???

Most people that win the lottery are bankrupt within a year or two. If you can't handle having a small amount of money, that doesn't change when you suddenly come into a huge amount of money. Just some info I read one time. Plus, I've seen it happen. My dad got $60,000 out of the blue when he stopped working (long story) and he was so used to not having $$ ever he spent it very unwisley. It was gone within a year with nothing AT ALL to show for it! It's amazing how fast it can go.

Leigh0725 said:
I'm up in the North Kansas city area. You?
I'm right smack in the middle of the state.....in the middle of nowhere:rolleyes:

What is the story behind Warren Buffett's wife fending off an intruder with Pampered Chef cutlery?

The story goes that on Christmas Day in 2019, Warren Buffett's wife, Astrid Menks, was alone at their home in Omaha, Nebraska when an intruder broke in. She was able to defend herself and call for help by using a knife from her Pampered Chef cutlery set.

What kind of cutlery did Astrid Menks use to defend herself?

According to reports, Menks used a 13-inch chef's knife from the Pampered Chef Executive Chef set to fend off the intruder. This set is known for its high-quality German steel blades and comfortable, ergonomic handles.

Is Pampered Chef cutlery designed for self-defense?

No, Pampered Chef cutlery is not specifically designed for self-defense. The company's mission is to provide high-quality kitchen tools and cookware for everyday use in the kitchen. However, in this rare and extreme situation, Menks was able to use her Pampered Chef knife to protect herself.

What safety measures does Pampered Chef take in the production of their cutlery?

Pampered Chef takes safety very seriously in the production of their cutlery. All of their knives are made with high-quality materials, such as German stainless steel, and are designed with safety features like ergonomic handles and non-slip grips. They also have strict quality control measures in place to ensure that their products are safe for use in the kitchen.

Can I purchase the same Pampered Chef cutlery set that Astrid Menks used?

Yes, the Pampered Chef Executive Chef set, which includes the 13-inch chef's knife that Menks used, is available for purchase on the company's website. However, it is important to note that this set is intended for kitchen use only and should not be used as a weapon.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Patty Davis
Back