• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Tax Charges at Conf: A Guide for Out-of-State Attendees

In summary, you pay Illinois state sales tax (6.25%) plus whatever the local sales tax rate is (usually around 7%).
chefmoseley
Gold Member
Being from a sales tax free state I am not sure about this. What is the tax for items purchased at Conf (for example Merrill)? Like if I buy at $21 shirt does it end up being like 25 because of tax?

Usually you pay tax for the location it was purchased at.Like our shows...you pay tax for where the show is hosted...I hope that helps...IL tax I believe is a little over 7%...

City of Chicago tax is currently 9.25%. It's going up to to 10.25%, but I'm not sure when.IL is silly and every single municipality has a different sales tax. I have to look it up for every single show. :)

DebbieJ said:
City of Chicago tax is currently 9.25%. It's going up to to 10.25%, but I'm not sure when.

IL is silly and every single municipality has a different sales tax. I have to look it up for every single show. :)

9.25%!!?? Wow, I thought it was high here in CA (usually around 7.25, 7.75%). It's different all over the place here too.

DebbieJ said:
City of Chicago tax is currently 9.25%. It's going up to to 10.25%, but I'm not sure when.

IL is silly and every single municipality has a different sales tax. I have to look it up for every single show. :)

Yikes! That is high!

Wish ours was that low, ours is 13%!

IL State tax is 6.25% each city & county can add their own %.

My town is 6.25%. The next town over is 6.75%. It just depends on what the local tax rate is.

I also have to make sure P3 is updated with the correct tax when I do a show out of town.

Holy smokes. I cant believe tax being at 10% that is just crazy.

Jolene- where in Cali are you?? Its even worse here. Monterey is 7.25, Sand City is 7.75, Seaside is 7.25. All three towns are located so close you may not know which sales tax you are charging til you ask. Its nuts! Of course its 8+ in San Jose, etc. CRAZY!

jbdowd0798 said:
Jolene- where in Cali are you?? Its even worse here. Monterey is 7.25, Sand City is 7.75, Seaside is 7.25. All three towns are located so close you may not know which sales tax you are charging til you ask. Its nuts! Of course its 8+ in San Jose, etc. CRAZY!
I'm in Placer County, right on the edge, so I never know if it's going to be 7.25% or 7.75%. Everything is always more in the Bay area! Their gas has been over $4 for so long, way before ours went up there.

Thanks. I guess we'll fill up at $3.85 before we come to the bay area. :)

DebbieJ said:

Here in Chattanooga, TN we have been at 9.25% for about 10 years, before that it was 8%. Gas is about $3.50.

about 8 yrs ago I was working in a candy store and this lady came up to me and said I am from ____ and we dont have to pay sales tax so do I have to pay sales tax here?? I of course said yes but what I really wanted to say was well if I go and visit ______ do I have to pay sales tax cause I am from UT? Just thought I would share that story

I just wanted to check b/c maybe if I get things shipped to my home from Merrill it would be like buying it online(hence the tax applicable to shipping address) which sounds cheaper b/c the shipping might be cheaper than the tax! I guess I get to use conf to try things on!

I want to say that I think my charges were different once I got home. For anything that was ordered, I was charged my 6.25% tax. But, when I did their cash & carry, it was the Chicago tax.

Related to Understanding Tax Charges at Conf: A Guide for Out-of-State Attendees

1. What is the tax rate for out-of-state attendees at Conf?

The tax rate for out-of-state attendees at Conf varies depending on the location of the conference. It is important to check the tax rate for the specific city and state where the conference is being held.

2. Do I have to pay taxes if I am attending the conference for work?

Yes, as an out-of-state attendee, you are still required to pay taxes on any purchases made at the conference, regardless of the reason for attending.

3. Are there any items that are exempt from taxes at the conference?

The tax exemption for items at the conference may vary depending on the location. Some items, such as food and certain educational materials, may be exempt from taxes. It is best to check with the conference organizers or the state's tax laws for a full list of exemptions.

4. Can I get a refund for taxes paid at the conference?

This also depends on the location of the conference. Some states allow for out-of-state visitors to apply for a tax refund for certain purchases made at the conference. Check with the conference organizers or the state's tax department for more information.

5. Do I need to keep track of my purchases for tax purposes?

Yes, it is important to keep track of all purchases made at the conference for tax purposes. This includes keeping receipts and noting the amount of tax paid on each purchase. This information may be needed when filing taxes in your home state.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • robochick84
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • smilesarepriceless