• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Ground Sausage: Types, Uses, and Preparation Tips

Sometimes, I need pictures to "get it"....so I always assume it will help other people too!:DI'm the same way, I knew what I was saying, but I wasn't sure if I was making any sense! LOL
kcjodih
Gold Member
Okay, please excuse my ignorance but what is ground sausage besides the obvious? ;) I've seen different recipes such as a baked ziti that calls for either ground sausage or one pound of italian sausage and then calling for it to be broken up and fried. Is there actually ground sausage like ground beef or do I need to buy full sized sausages (like bratwurst) and then take the skin or whatever it's called and then break it up? :confused::confused: I have NO idea :rolleyes:

We have tubes of sausage here in the refridgerator section by the bacon that is sausage. You can cook it up like ground beef or make patties out of it. I've never broken up italian sausage and cooked it before, so I'm not sure how it works, I normally cut them into chunks and then fry them up.

We buy the Jimmy Dean brand for a breakfast casserole recipe my mom gave me...the sausage comes in a tube like Andrea said. Great to brown up using the Mix 'N Chop (I'm hoping one day to have a brunch show so I can demo the breakfast casserole!!!).

Jimmy Dean i can't find an image to post, but if you go here, you will see what we are talking about when we say a tube!

I've also purchased ground spicy sausage in the 1lb tray like ground beef, pork, turkey, and chicken. BUT, lately I've been using this 'deer' sausage long links. I just take the casing off and ground it up in the pan. Even when I fry sausage - like cut it into little rounds - I still take the casing off.

kcjodih said:
Okay, please excuse my ignorance but what is ground sausage besides the obvious? ;) I've seen different recipes such as a baked ziti that calls for either ground sausage or one pound of italian sausage and then calling for it to be broken up and fried. Is there actually ground sausage like ground beef or do I need to buy full sized sausages (like bratwurst) and then take the skin or whatever it's called and then break it up? :confused::confused: I have NO idea :rolleyes:

You buy regular Italian Sausage & take it out of the casings. Once it out it will look like ground Beef,Turkey etc....HTH

Ginger428 said:
You buy regular Italian Sausage & take it out of the casings. Once it out it will look like ground Beef,Turkey etc....HTH

Yes, you can remove the sausage from the casings and use the Mix N Chop to crumble it while cooking just like Ground Beef.

Here in Michigan (don't know if you can get this brand all over) you can buy Bob Evans bulk Italian Sausage. http://www.bobevansfoods.com/products/product.aspx?name=Italian+Roll+Sausage&groupid=8 I love Bob Evans sausage of all kinds, but in the interest of health:

I usually use Jenni-o turkey Italian sausage though, just sqeeze it out of the end of the casing and break it up w/ my mix n chop. http://www.jennieo.com/products/BratwurstsandDinnerSausages/SweetLeanItalisamTurkeySausage.aspx

I really don't have anything to add, just wanted to see if my new picture shows up when I post... sorry! ;)

Woohoo!!! Thank you all. And a special thanks to Andrea and Becky for the links as well. I finally get it!

kcjodih said:
Woohoo!!! Thank you all. And a special thanks to Andrea and Becky for the links as well. I finally get it!

Sometimes, I need pictures to "get it"....so I always assume it will help other people too!:D

I'm the same way, I knew what I was saying, but I wasn't sure if I was making any sense! LOL

What is ground sausage?

Ground sausage is a type of sausage that has been removed from its casing and broken down into smaller pieces. It is typically made from a combination of ground pork, spices, and seasonings.

Is ground sausage the same as breakfast sausage?

While ground sausage and breakfast sausage are both made from ground pork and spices, they can have slightly different flavor profiles. Breakfast sausage is typically seasoned with sage and has a milder flavor, while ground sausage may have a more robust, spicier taste.

Can I substitute ground sausage for ground beef in recipes?

Yes, ground sausage can be substituted for ground beef in many recipes. However, keep in mind that ground sausage has a higher fat content, so you may need to adjust cooking times and drain any excess fat.

How do I cook ground sausage?

Ground sausage can be cooked in a variety of ways, including pan-frying, baking, grilling, or simmering in a sauce. It is important to cook ground sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F to ensure it is safe to eat.

What are some popular dishes to make with ground sausage?

Ground sausage is a versatile ingredient and can be used in a variety of dishes, such as meatballs, lasagna, stuffed peppers, and breakfast casseroles. It can also be added to soups, stews, and chili for added flavor and protein.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rennea
  • pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies