• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Childhood Diabetes: Signs, Symptoms, and Diagnosis

In summary, the most common signs and symptoms of childhood diabetes are frequent urination, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, irritability, and blurred vision. The risk factors for childhood diabetes include a family history of the disease, being overweight or obese, having an unhealthy diet, lack of physical activity, and certain ethnic backgrounds. Childhood diabetes is typically diagnosed through blood tests that measure the levels of glucose in the blood, such as fasting blood glucose test, oral glucose tolerance test, or hemoglobin A1C test. While there is no guaranteed way to prevent childhood diabetes, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular physical activity can greatly reduce the risk. Treatment options for childhood diabetes include insulin therapy, oral medications
PCSarahjm
Does anyone of a child with diabetes? My son, 3yrs, is having blood surgar tests done. He started urrinated frequently, wetting the bed, irritable, tired, and being thirsty all the time. They did a urrine test to check for UTI but the results were negative....so now they are going to run blood test for diabetes? Can anyone help me out with this? I don't know if I am jumping to conclusions and this is just a phase.

wow... I my friend's DD (almost 5) just had bloodwork doen for the exact same reason & with the same symptoms. Haven't heard if she got the results yet, though. Be sure that he has NOTHING to eat or drink for 8 hrs before the test.

My 14 year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Nov. His symptoms were extreme thirst, going to the bathroom more than 15 times an hour (just like when you first wake up in the morning), and eating a ton. He would be starving an hour after eating dinner. They did a test called A1C that shows what your sugars have been over the previous 3 months. His had been over 600.

Related to Understanding Childhood Diabetes: Signs, Symptoms, and Diagnosis

What are the common signs and symptoms of childhood diabetes?

The most common signs and symptoms of childhood diabetes include frequent urination, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, irritability, and blurred vision.

What are the risk factors for childhood diabetes?

The risk factors for childhood diabetes include a family history of the disease, being overweight or obese, having an unhealthy diet, lack of physical activity, and certain ethnic backgrounds.

How is childhood diabetes diagnosed?

Childhood diabetes is typically diagnosed through blood tests that measure the levels of glucose in the blood. These tests may include a fasting blood glucose test, an oral glucose tolerance test, or a hemoglobin A1C test.

Can childhood diabetes be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent childhood diabetes, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and regular physical activity can greatly reduce the risk of developing the disease.

What are the treatment options for childhood diabetes?

The treatment for childhood diabetes may involve insulin therapy, oral medications, and lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet and regular exercise. It is important for children with diabetes to regularly monitor their blood sugar levels and follow their doctor's recommendations for managing the disease.

Back