• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uncovering the Different Types of Vegetarians: A Guide for Hosts and Cooks

I'm glad that, although he comes from a family of meat eaters, he is perfectly fine eating a great spinach & pepper quiche!
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I just wanted to post this, because I have seen the words Vegan and Vegetarian thrown around, and used interchangeably....and they are different ways of eating. When you have a Vegetarian host - this may help you when trying to come up with recipes for their show.So, here are the commonly defined "types" of vegetarians:
Vegans
Vegans eat only foods of plant origin, no foods of animal origin; that means, no eggs, dairy products, or honey. Soyfoods, legumes, nuts and seitan form the protein building blocks, and are rounded out by grains, fruits, and vegetables.Lacto-Vegetarians
Ovo-Vegetarians
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians

Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat as above with the addition of dairy products (lacto) and/or eggs (ovo). This, in common parlance, is the style of eating most often meant in America when people refer to "vegetarian." Lacto-ovo food choices, in other words, do contain some foods of animal origin, but no foods composed of the animal's actual flesh, or products thereof (for instance, if rice was cooked in chicken stock, it would not be acceptable to your typical lacto-ovo vegetarian).Pesce-Vegetarians (sometimes called Pescetarians)

In addition to the foods above, pesce-vegetarians eat fish. (Most vegans and lacto-ovo vegetarians do not, by the way, consider those who eat fish "real" vegetarians --- you see why definitions can create divisions between people?)

"Vegetarian Sympathizers"

Folks who do eat meat, fish, and chicken --- but perhaps much less than they once did, and perhaps more carefully (they may choose organically raised meats). They lean somewhat towards a low- or no-meat way in their thinking. Frequently Sympathizers and Pesces are on the continuum towards a lacto-ovo or vegan way of eating.

Thanks for the information Becky!!

thanks! I'm not a Vegetarian, but a definite sympathizer. I had several Veg. Clients when I was a personal chef - one Raw Foods client. (my most challenging!)

My son, at age 4, is a Pescetarian by choice. I don't force him to try to eat meat, because he loves all of the really healthy foods. He loves almost all vegetables and fruits, whole grains(including rice, breads, and pastas), beans, cheese of any kind, yogurt, nuts and seeds, and fish and seafood.
Because of this, it's changing the way that DH and I eat too. I can't imagine forcing him to eat meat when he clearly doesn't like it (oh - except for bacon....:rolleyes: ) and I don't like to make 2 different meals. Sometimes that just means having an alternate form of protein for him. Like, if we have burgers, he has a "cheeseburger". (hold the burger :D )

We're pesce-vegetarians but the confusion doesn't just fall with what other vegetarians consider us but what meat eaters consider us too. If you ask a vegetarian, we're not 'real vegetarians' which is true... however if you ask hunters in these neck o da woods they'll tell you we're not meat eaters so we must be vegetarians. Thus the confusion continues. LOL... My dad used to call fish girl food - honest to goodness he did. He still does but has found that eating 'girl food' can be better for his body than the meat he used to insist he have at every meal. LOL

lkprescott said:
We're pesce-vegetarians but the confusion doesn't just fall with what other vegetarians consider us but what meat eaters consider us too. If you ask a vegetarian, we're not 'real vegetarians' which is true... however if you ask hunters in these neck o da woods they'll tell you we're not meat eaters so we must be vegetarians. Thus the confusion continues. LOL...

My dad used to call fish girl food - honest to goodness he did. He still does but has found that eating 'girl food' can be better for his body than the meat he used to insist he have at every meal. LOL

I'm really fortunate to have grown up with a family that loved fish - we ate fish of all kinds - my dad and grandpa took fishing trips all the time, and brought back fish for the freezer. (trout, perch, walleye, smelt....)

DH grew up in a family where "ethnic food" was spaghetti, and the only fish was deep-fried-all-you-can-eat Friday Night Fish Fry at the local diner.

He has discovered a love for fish though, and we eat it at least a couple times a week. We also purposely eat Vegetarian meals a couple times a week, sometimes more, just because that's what sounds good. I'm so glad that, although he comes from a family of meat eaters, he is perfectly fine eating a great spinach & pepper quiche!

Thanks for the great info! I have always wondered what the differences are!

"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word.Roughly translated, it means, "Bad hunter."

Meaning of vegetarian = not Ginny! :D

I love vegetarians - more meat for me! ;)

janetupnorth said:
I love vegetarians - more meat for me! ;)

Why didn't I think of that Janet! LOL

thanks for the def. I am not a vegetarian,but I hardly eat meat so I guess I am a sympthazier, though its really because I don't like the taste of meat...so I dont' know what that makes me.

I really hate when I ask for a vegetarian pizza, or burrito or anything vegetarian because people always think its a moral decison so they preceed to tell me all the foods made with animal fat in the dish I am eating. People somehow always feel obligated to tell me what animal fats are in food since they think I am a full vegetarian. I just dont like the taste of meat! It's actually kinda funny.

Rebeccascabinet said:
I really hate when I ask for a vegetarian pizza, or burrito or anything vegetarian because people always think its a moral decison so they preceed to tell me all the foods made with animal fat in the dish I am eating. People somehow always feel obligated to tell me what animal fats are in food since they think I am a full vegetarian. I just dont like the taste of meat! It's actually kinda funny.

Yeah, it's not a moral thing for many people. We eat less meat (especially red meat) for health reasons. That's it. (well, that and my son doesn't like it.)

Rebeccascabinet said:
Sadly, people will think it is a moral choice, because there are too many militants who are IN-YOUR-FACE about the whole issue, which wears pretty thin after awhile.

I do actually respect your choice, despite the "bad hunter" one liner. I just happen to think that's a funny line. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sadly, people will think it is a moral choice, because there are too many militants who are IN-YOUR-FACE about the whole issue, which wears pretty thin after awhile.

I do actually respect your choice, despite the "bad hunter" one liner. I just happen to think that's a funny line. ;)

These would be the same people who want us to be tolerant of just about everything else though......

And that was a funny line!

You can check me off as a "sympthazier" as well. We don't eat any red meat here :)

Rebeccascabinet said:

Our favorite pizza is vegetarian! We love spinach, mushrooms, red peppers, red onion, olives, etc....on our pizza. It's the only kind of pizza DS will eat.

My favorite pizza:

Passatta sauce
spinach
red onion
kalamata olives
roasted tomatoes
feta
mozza

Yummo!

rennea said:
My favorite pizza:

Passatta sauce
spinach
red onion
kalamata olives
roasted tomatoes
feta
mozza

Yummo!

That would be gobbled up at our house!:thumbup:

Thanks for the clarification, Becky.

I once worked with a guy who was a vegan. He preached to all of us about how inhumane animals are treated and we shouldn't eat them, yadda yadda yadda (I don't have a problem w/ his beliefs, but I don't appreciate them being shoved down my throat. He wouldn't eat lunch in the lunch room because he could "hear the cows mooing". Yes, this man had some more serious issues...). Finally one day I had it. I just said, "Nice leather belt you're wearing."

He never thought about THAT!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
These would be the same people who want us to be tolerant of just about everything else though......

And that was a funny line!
Thanks.

The people who preach open minded discourse, and preach tolerance, are the most closed minded and intolerant people on the planet. As Margaret Thatcher said, "If you have to tell someone you're a lady, you're not."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Wow... thankfully not all non-meat eaters are militant (takes all kinds). Some folks that find out I don't eat anything with 2 to 4 legs (the easiest way to describe it), they get worried that I'll be upset if they order/make/eat meat... I think the fear that I'll freak out is out of a stereotype that has evolved from ONE person they met perhaps, if that (perhaps a stereotype they've heard even)... I've not met anyone 'militant' in that fashion. Close to it... usually passionate young adults who are appalled at factory farming conditions and will fill any ear willing to listen...

I so appreciate the respect, when given... I don't buy meat, make it or eat it however, I don't tell others how to live their lives either.

I've also had meals with meat eaters who took great joy in their choice and yes, rubbed it in... like it mattered to me. *shrug* They were attempting to get a rise out of me... yeah... whatever.

Takes all kinds... militant vegans... militant meat eaters... both are annoying at the table. Both also, bespeak an insecurity with their need to bully. There's no stereotype of the respectful vegetarian, perhaps, cuz they're quiet about it... and respectful.

I dont' know... just rambling.. my friend gave me a bumper sticker (she's a meat eater to the exclusion of veggies) "Vegetarians do it with relish... and use a condiment"...

What are the different types of vegetarians?

The different types of vegetarians include:
1. Lacto-ovo vegetarians: They do not eat meat, fish or poultry, but do consume dairy products and eggs.
2. Lacto vegetarians: They avoid meat, fish, poultry, and eggs, but do consume dairy products.
3. Ovo vegetarians: They avoid meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products, but do consume eggs.
4. Flexitarians: They primarily follow a vegetarian diet, but occasionally consume meat or fish.
5. Vegans: They avoid all animal products, including meat, fish, poultry, dairy, eggs, and honey.

What are some common misconceptions about vegetarians?

Some common misconceptions about vegetarians include:
1. They do not get enough protein: Vegetarians can get sufficient protein from plant-based sources such as beans, lentils, tofu, and nuts.
2. They only eat salads: Vegetarians have a wide variety of food options and do not only eat salads.
3. They do not get enough nutrients: With a well-planned vegetarian diet, individuals can get all the necessary nutrients.
4. They are all the same: There are different types of vegetarians, and not all follow the same diet.
5. They are all animal rights activists: While some vegetarians may be against animal cruelty, others may follow a plant-based diet for health or environmental reasons.

How can hosts accommodate vegetarian guests?

Here are some tips for accommodating vegetarian guests:
1. Ask about dietary restrictions beforehand: When sending out invitations, ask if any of your guests follow a vegetarian diet.
2. Offer a variety of dishes: Include both vegetarian and meat options to cater to all dietary preferences.
3. Label dishes: Clearly mark which dishes are vegetarian to avoid any confusion.
4. Use separate cooking utensils: If possible, use separate utensils and cookware for vegetarian dishes to avoid cross-contamination.
5. Be open to suggestions: If a vegetarian guest offers to bring a dish, allow them to do so.

What are some essential kitchen tools for cooking vegetarian meals?

Some essential kitchen tools for cooking vegetarian meals include:
1. High-quality knives: Vegetarian meals often involve chopping and cutting a lot of vegetables, so it's important to have sharp and reliable knives.
2. Blender or food processor: These tools are useful for making sauces, dips, and smoothies.
3. Vegetable spiralizer: A spiralizer is great for creating vegetable noodles or ribbons for healthier alternatives to pasta.
4. Steamer basket: This tool can be used to steam vegetables quickly and easily.
5. Non-stick pan: A non-stick pan is essential for cooking vegetarian meals without the need for excess oil or butter.

What are some tasty vegetarian recipes?

Here are some delicious vegetarian recipes to try:
1. Veggie stir-fry with tofu: A stir-fry with a mix of vegetables, tofu, and a flavorful sauce is a quick and easy vegetarian meal.
2. Chickpea curry: This hearty and flavorful curry is packed with protein and can be served over rice or with naan bread.
3. Veggie-loaded quinoa bowl: Quinoa is a great source of protein and can be topped with a variety of vegetables and a tasty dressing.
4. Lentil Shepherd's pie: This vegetarian twist on a classic dish is sure to be a hit.
5. Grilled vegetable skewers: These colorful and tasty skewers are perfect for a summer BBQ.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • sunnygirl in nd