• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Traveling to Gulf Shores, AL with Family: Any Tips?

In summary, our family is traveling to Gulf Shores, AL this summer for a wonderful week long stay in a beach front condo. They are bringing groceries, but are bringing some necessities they don't want to buy (seasonings, grill basket:chef:, etc.). From seasoned travelers, In summary, the condo has a washer and dryer and they are driving. They are taking a collapsible bowl and water cameras.
ChefJWarren
Gold Member
My FAMILY (me, husband, 2 kids, mom, dad, sister, her daughter, aunt, her husband, their son) are all traveling to Gulf Shores, AL this summer for a wonderful week long stay in a beach front condo!

This is our first time doing something like this. We are meticulous planners and write everything down and make lists galore. We will buy groceries when we get there, but are bringing some necessities we don't want to buy (seasonings, grill basket:chef:, etc.)

From seasoned travelers:
Is there any advice you can offer to make our stay comfortable/enjoyable?
Anything we should absolutely bring?
Not bring?
Anything?

Thanks!!!;)

Does the condo have a washer and dryer?

Will you be driving so that you can take some of your PC products? If you are, I would
suggest a few microfiber towels, Easy Accent decorator and the Chillzanne Rectangle
Server for times when you want to make deviled eggs, veggies trays, or fruite trays
and have snacks safe to eat. We have ours in our 5th wheel and it comes in handy
all the time. It's the one item most other folks would probably not have, to bring. Be sure to take your Dill Seasonings, great on grilled salmon, for our Dill Dip. Sneak in a few
products your family might get intrigued by, and decide to purchase. The collapsible bowl would not take up much space in your luggage. I can imagine you needing a large bowl like it with the crowd you will have there. Take lots of pictures. Be sure you know how to use your camera that you take along. Take ponchos to put under your beach towels, and for those rainy day walks etc. Have a wonderful time. We all dream of times like you are going to have. Maybe a blank notebook to journal in and have others sign with comments about their favorite part of each day.

Our family kept a journal at our family cabin, and just recently we made a copy of each page for a rememberance CD for my sons' 50th birthday. I had not been there for every visit, and had a wonderful time reading all the friend's comments about their times at the Cabin. You will treasure that Journal more, as time goes by.

Yes, it has a washer and dryer and yes, we are driving.

ChefJWarren said:
Yes, it has a washer and dryer and yes, we are driving.

Awesome, then pack very light. We stay at a resort that has a washer and dryer in the room. We tend to just do the wash as we go. On the last day I did a little extra laundry and packed everything away. When we got home I only had to wash the night clothes from the night before we left. I loved not having a huge load of laundry to do when we got home.

If a condo has a washer and dryer, it will probably have most everything you need for any light cooking. We tend to eat breakfast and lunch in the room and then go out for dinner. If the room has a dishwasher, wash all of the dishes, glasses, utensils, etc. when you first get there. Otherwise get the men to wash asnd dry them. Why the men? Why not? Hehehe! You do not know how well the people before you cleaned those items, so better to clean them yourself.

Buy yourself a couple of water cameras. They are awesome at the pool and the beach.

I also believe in using plastic disposable cups in the room. It just helps keep things simple.

My last little bit of advice is scope out the pool early the first morning you are there. Make sure you do not need to get there early to get your chairs by the pool. At the place we go, this is a major issue. To get a chair, someone from your group has to get down to the pool by 7:45 so when the pool opens at 8:00, she/he can put towels on the chairs desired.

Oh, make sure to not only bring sunscreen, bring Solarcaine or something similar. It is great in case someone gets burned.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:
No pool, just ocean! Thanks for the advice! I need to make sure we do those things. Except we're all Hispanic so we don't burn! He He!!!!

ChefJWarren said:
No pool, just ocean! Thanks for the advice! I need to make sure we do those things. Except we're all Hispanic so we don't burn! He He!!!!

Well that's just not fair! I burn way too easily and my oldest daughter has my skin. My husband and son turn a little red and then a little tan. My youngest daughter has darker skin and has not shown any tendency to burn. Of course I still cover her from head to toe in sunscreen.

1. What types of kitchen items are essential for a long stay trip?

For a long stay trip, it's important to have versatile kitchen items that can be used for a variety of meals. Some essential items to pack include a non-stick skillet, a mixing bowl, a cutting board, a sharp knife, and a set of measuring cups and spoons. You may also want to bring along a slow cooker or pressure cooker for easy meal prep.

2. How can I pack my kitchen items efficiently for a long stay trip?

One way to efficiently pack your kitchen items for a long stay trip is to use packing cubes or ziplock bags to keep items organized. You can also use towels or clothing to wrap around breakable items for extra protection. Consider packing items that can nest together, such as measuring cups, to save space in your luggage.

3. Are there any tips for cooking meals while traveling on a long stay trip?

One tip for cooking meals while traveling on a long stay trip is to plan ahead and make a grocery list before arriving at your destination. This will help you save time and money by avoiding unnecessary trips to the store. You can also look for accommodations with kitchen facilities, such as a rental home or extended stay hotel, to have a designated cooking space.

4. What are some easy meal ideas for a long stay trip?

Some easy meal ideas for a long stay trip include one-pot meals such as soups, stews, and stir-fries. You can also make use of local ingredients to create simple and delicious meals, such as fresh seafood or produce. Don't be afraid to get creative and try new recipes with the limited kitchen items you have available.

5. How can I clean and maintain my kitchen items while on a long stay trip?

To clean and maintain your kitchen items while on a long stay trip, make sure to thoroughly wash and dry them after each use. You can also use a small amount of dish soap and warm water to soak any stubborn stains or residue. If possible, try to pack items that are dishwasher safe for easier cleaning. Additionally, consider bringing along a small supply of cleaning supplies, such as dish soap and a dishcloth, to use during your stay.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies
Views
mom2leelee
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
Replies
Views