• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Talkers" Magazine - Annual "Heavy Hundred"

In summary, Talkers Magazine publishes an annual list of the top 250 talk radio personalities, with the 2008 list being published in their February issue. The list includes both syndicated and local hosts, with a wide range of topics and viewpoints represented. While some may be surprised by certain names on the list, it is clear that talk radio has become a staple in the American broadcast industry.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Do you listen to talk radio at all? (If not, you might want to just skip this thread.)

Talkers Magazine, the authority on talk radio, publishes their list of the top 250 talk radio personalities every year. The list for 2008 is in their February issue, and you can see the top personalities, the http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=44.

There are a couple of surprises in the top ten, even in the top fifteen.

Dave Ramsey, a popular favorite around here, is ranked number 12, pretty good for someone in such a narrow, but important, niche. Bruce Williams, at one time the premiere business and financial adviser in the country, has faded but is still in the top 250.

You haven't heard of many of these people if you don't happen to travel and hear them in their local markets. Some you have heard of, because they are syndicated and may even be broadcast in your local market.

According to the magazine, there are 5,000 radio talk show hosts in America, from the guy with 20 million listeners every day to the ones working in relative obscurity in small markets. The fact is, 25 years ago, AM radio was pretty much a dead medium. The powerhouse stations on the AM band faded into obscurity as FM took over the airwaves. Except for some notable exceptions, like WSM in Nashville with their signature Grand Ol' Opry, no one was listening to AM radio. Talk radio has now become a staple in the American broadcast industry.

So, check out the http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=44. You may find someone from your own local market. (#80, Mark Belling, has the highest ratings of any radio outlet in the Milwaukee market.)

I listen to talk radio. . . NPR. I am so pleased to see that Diane Rehm made the list. She is SO good at what she does. I get two hours of her and each hour covers a different topic. I've learned a lot and come up with some great books to read.

So many of the names/faces listed make me cringe and or want to scream. :yuck: It is frightening (to me) that some of these folks are listed so high up the list.

Hmmm, interesting list. I won't mention my favorites in case the ones I like are the "frightening" ones. I will say that I don't listen to Stern and Imus, and they are frightening IMO. I also don't care for Dr. Laura even though I agree with most of her advice. I just don't like the way she delivers it.
I do listen to talk radio, but I only listen to one AM station, so I really don't know of a lot of the people on the list.

I think you'll find that a lot of the people who say "I don't listen to XXXXXXX because he's a blah blah yada yada" never actually listen to that personality, but just parrot what someone has told them.I've actually heard several of those people during my travels, like Roe Conn and Mitch Albom, but certainly not all of them. I'd never comment one way or another about someone I've never actually listened to.(FWIW, I liked Mitch Albom's Five People You Meet In Heaven but I don't care for him as a radio host.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I think you'll find that a lot of the people who say "I don't listen to XXXXXXX because he's a blah blah yada yada" never actually listen to that personality, but just parrot what someone has told them.

I find that a lot, too.

It's good to see some of my favorites on the list.

Honestly, I often listen to people whose viewpoints are diametrically opposed to mine. I like hearing different viewpoints. At times it's changed my mind. Other times it's helped me to learn better ways to phrase my viewpoints so I can address countering arguments.

Related to "Talkers" Magazine - Annual "Heavy Hundred"

1. What is "Talkers" Magazine - Annual "Heavy Hundred"?

"Talkers" Magazine - Annual "Heavy Hundred" is a yearly publication that ranks the 100 most important and influential talk radio hosts in America.

2. How are the talk radio hosts selected for the "Heavy Hundred" list?

The talk radio hosts are selected based on a variety of factors, including ratings, reputation, longevity, and impact on the industry.

3. Is the "Heavy Hundred" list limited to just conservative talk radio hosts?

No, the list includes hosts from all political backgrounds and talk radio formats, including sports, news, and entertainment talk.

4. Can anyone submit a nomination for the "Heavy Hundred" list?

No, nominations are only accepted from industry professionals, including talk radio executives, programmers, and hosts themselves.

5. How can I access the "Heavy Hundred" list?

The "Heavy Hundred" list is available for purchase on the "Talkers" Magazine website. It is also distributed to subscribers of the magazine and select industry professionals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • AlowayFamily
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
Back