• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stay Safe on the Ice: A Reminder to Drive Carefully and Watch Out for Others

In summary, the conversation discusses the dangers of driving on ice, with a specific example of a fatal accident that occurred due to icy roads. The speakers also express their dislike for winter weather and their concerns about their children driving in such conditions. One speaker shares their strategy of driving defensively, while another recalls past experiences with accidents caused by black ice. The conversation ends with a humorous anecdote about drivers with 4WD getting stuck in the ditch.
lacychef
This is a reminder to be careful when driving on ice; & watch out for the other guy too!
My dad took this picture....he came across this wreck just minutes after it happened on Saturday morning. A pickup truck lost control on I-70, went across the median, and then hit a semi going the other way; which lost control & went off the interstate & onto the 2-lane highway. The semi landed on top of the pickup & the man in the pickup died. His family needs some prayers! I can't imagine what would have happened if my dad wouldn't have been running a little late...
So, be careful if you get this weather. More is moving here; we're in a winter weather warning. Supposed to get ice tonight (so much for my show!), & more tomorrow. One weatherman said a "paralyzing ice storm". So I hope I have power to get my morning CS the next couple days!

Attachments

• december2007 006.jpg
    december2007 006.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 346
Oh my gosh, this is so sad! The older I get the more I hate winter! Now I have one child driving and another right behind her! It was bad enough worrying about my other family members!! I don't let my daughter drive when it's bad right now. She gets mad at me, but she just had two friends in accidents this week. It helped her to understand why I don't let her drive. She tells me she won't ever learn to drive in it, but we take her to parking lots and let her try it out. I also told her when she can pay all her own bills she can drive when she wants:)!

I drive offensively - I'm the "other guy" you have to watch out for.

Wow! I absolutely HATE driving in snow...and abhor driving in weather that has the chance for ice. My Mom, brother, and I were in a very bad accident (due to black ice) way back in 1986...then last January I went through a stopsign (black ice again...) and ran into someone in our NEW Sportage!

I am NOT looking forward to our kids driving...one is already 16 and another is 13. I still have a while to wait for our youngest...he's not even 3 yet!

Glad your Dad is safe!

Driving in snow and driving on ice are two entirely different skill sets. I don't mind driving in snow (except for fighting the morons who don't know how to drive in it but insist on doing so) but I don't like driving on ice, either.The worst "driving in snow" experience I've had was in Branson, MO last Winter.

Last edited:
I don't even want to think about my kids driving!:eek:

That's why our son's first car (in 2004) was a 1987 Oldsmobile 98. It was made of real steel. If he hit anything (and he did a couple of times), he was safe, and there wasn't even a dent. I have to admit that my mean streak comes out in inclement weather. I just shake my head as those 4WD vehicles speed around me. I then have a good chuckle when I see them in the ditch a few miles up the road. I always make sure no one is hurt. That wouldn't be funny. What I find funny is a bad driver coming to grips with reality: four wheel drive doesn't give you magical traction on ice.

1. What are some important safety tips for driving on icy roads?

When driving on icy roads, it's important to reduce your speed and increase your following distance. Avoid sudden movements like braking or accelerating too quickly. Make sure your car is equipped with winter tires and keep your headlights on for better visibility. Most importantly, always wear your seatbelt and avoid distractions while driving.

2. How can I ensure the safety of other drivers and pedestrians while driving on icy roads?

Be extra cautious and aware of your surroundings while driving on icy roads. Keep a safe distance from other vehicles and avoid sudden lane changes. Use your turn signals and give pedestrians the right of way. If you see someone struggling on the side of the road, pull over and offer assistance if it's safe to do so.

3. What should I do if my car starts to slide on ice?

If your car starts to slide on ice, remain calm and avoid slamming on the brakes. Instead, gently steer in the direction you want the car to go and ease off the gas pedal. Don't make any sudden movements and try to avoid obstacles or other vehicles. Once you regain control, reduce your speed and continue driving cautiously.

4. Are there any precautions I should take before driving on icy roads?

Before driving on icy roads, make sure your car is properly maintained and has enough antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, and gas. Clear all snow and ice from your windows, mirrors, and lights for better visibility. It's also a good idea to let someone know your planned route and estimated arrival time.

5. What should I do if I get stuck on an icy road?

If you get stuck on an icy road, try to remain calm and avoid spinning your wheels. Clear any snow and ice from around your tires and try to create traction by using sand, kitty litter, or even floor mats. If possible, ask for assistance from other drivers or call for a tow truck. Remember to stay warm and avoid leaving your car unattended for an extended period of time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sfdavis918
  • hollye44
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies