• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Smoke-Free Cycle: My Guilty Pleasure & Irony

In summary, the current season of America's Next Top Model is called the Smoke-Free Cycle. The show features models who smoke, and Tyra named this season in an effort to discourage young girls from following in their footsteps. Last night, when Ms. Jay went to the house to talk to the girls about style, DH looked up and said, "Wow! He's not dressed like a freak!" (He'll never admit it, but DH actually watches the show, too.)
During my oh-so-full schedule of weekend activity (read: sitting on my butt and watching TV), I caught a couple episodes of another model show that reminded me of ANTM. It seems like there's one model in every cycle who needs to talk about how smart she is. Based on that, VH1 has a show, "America's Most Smartest Model." Most of the contestants have degrees - one's a PHD candidate. But there's one woman who is dumber than a box of rocks.In the premiere episode, they had a spelling bee with fashion and modeling related words. The first round was really easy, to lull them into a false sense of security. But then the judges started giving them words that were meant to pick on the model spelling at the moment. The skinniest girl was given emaciated. Box of Rocks was given "collagen," but she got that it was a dig - because she has really ugly lips - and she commented in her little interview that "It's not collagen, it's silicone." :)Best part? Ben Stein is one of the hosts.

I'm another ANTM fan-but certainly not a closet fan. I get together with 4 co-workers and our daughters (ages 10-22) to watch every week. Thank goodness for DVR so we can get up pause when we need to fill our plates-did I mention that we also turn it into a dinner party? A great way for me to try out my PC recipes!!!

I haven't picked a favorite yet this year but love Heather. Her pictures are amazing! Kinda reminds me of Jaslene last year-she was a goofball, but her photo shoots were alway great!

Does anyone know why Tyra always whispers when she says "you're still in the running to be America's next top model"?? drives me nuts!!:confused:

I think the whispering is her trying to be serious and subdued.

So- no big shockers last night, although I'm just waiting for the judges to get sick of Ebony's attitude and let her go.Janet seemed like she'd be a fun person to be around, but I remember thinking last week that her photos all looked the same.

Yeah. I'm hoping Heather continues to improve. Her pictures are fierce. She seems to be good at taking the judges' advice, so I'm guessing she'll start looking into the camera.

You called that one, Rae! I was surprised at how late in the callout order Heather was after all the gushing the judges did over her picture.And what a wonderfully ironic use of footage from the auditions after the elimination surprise. :)

Yeah, I was disappointed to see Heather so deep into the pack. She's steadily improving, though. I have to say that the ending was quite a surprise.

I was just taking a second look through the pics from last night's episode, and I realized that there's one other contestant who has had no full-on shots, at least in the ones that are chosen as the best ones for judging: Bianca. http://www.cwtv.com/thecw/gen-gallery-antm09-models/2/1
So if Heather got the "too much profile" comment, so should she.

Yeah, well, I don't like her at all, anyway.

Me, either.So on last night's America's Most Smartest Model (AMSM), the models had to do science fair projects and presentations, then they had to do a photo shoot for a fictional sunless tanner, including making homemade sunless tanner to put on a nerd for the shoot. The poor, poor nerds ended up with mixtures of baby oil, coffee and cocoa all over. :yuck:

Right now I'm thinking it's probably a good thing that I don't have cable or a satellite. This sounds like one of those shows that would get me hooked. One of my other guilty pleasures is Beauty and the Geek. I may have some serious mental issues. :)

so who goes home tonight????

Bianca! Bianca! Bianca!

Okay, totally off topic but every time I see the name for this thread I can't help but hear Dorothy's voice saying "Auntie Em, Uncle Henry"... ANTM = Auntie Em...

BTW, I've watched this show in the first season and found it intriguing... have tried watching other seasons and well, found it less so... I think I've had enough of 'reality' TV shows, though we have been trying to catch Kid Nation, it's just on a hard night for us to catch it on (Weds are notoriously busy for us)...

I really want Bianca to go home, too! But there won't be an elimination this week - it's the re-hash show, with unaired footage, etc. No challenges.

chefann said:
I really want Bianca to go home, too! But there won't be an elimination this week - it's the re-hash show, with unaired footage, etc. No challenges.

Oh yuck! I hate those shows. Guess I won't be watching any ANTM tonight.

Thank goodness...now I don't have to record it tonight!!

Dang! I hate those. There's never really anything new, it's just a wasted episode. Hmm, maybe I'm a bit too wrapped up in my "reality" tv.

Take that hour and make phone calls. Or if you think that people will be out with their kids, do semi-productive office work like organizing and stamping catalogs. :)

Uh-oh. I think I missed an episode. The last I saw was when they were going to eliminate Ambreal, but other other girl wanted to leave.
I was sure on that episode they previewed the next episode as a new one with challenges, etc.
have I missed an episode.
BTW -I am so on board with getting Bianca off the show.

I usually have my calls done by then. My catalogs are all labeled. (I gave up stamps a while back. I don't have the patience to wait for them to dry, so they all smear. :() I could re-pack my kit and redo my guest packets for November. . . . I guess. . . . If I have to. . . .

peichef said:
Uh-oh. I think I missed an episode. The last I saw was when they were going to eliminate Ambreal, but other other girl wanted to leave.
I was sure on that episode they previewed the next episode as a new one with challenges, etc.
have I missed an episode.
BTW -I am so on board with getting Bianca off the show.
No, you didn't miss one. The preview at the end of that episode was worded as "upcoming", not "next episode."

One good thing about last night's episode: I was reminded that Heather is a hoosier. Another reason to cheer her on.

Was it just me, or was the sub-theme of this week's episode, "Bianca has sour grapes about Heather"? Of course, that led right into one of the clips from next week's episode.

Haven't watched it yet, but I did record it on my DVR. But I'll let you know what I think after I watch it!

Yeah, I always enjoy when Bianca starts a Heather rant. It usually means Heather is going to be complimented or rewarded for whatever Bianca just criticized. Bianca has got to go. Soon. I have to say, I really disagreed with this week's elimination. If Chantal were as talented as she keeps telling us she is, she'd be fantastic.

She looked so wooden in the shoot. And since that's what the challenge was, I think that she should have been eliminated.The show's attitude to plus size models is a joke, too. They feel compelled to include 1 or 2 in the initial casting each season. But they're NEVER going to make it to the end, because they don't have the "couture look" and don't fit into the samples that designers make for shows. If they really wanted to promote plus-size, they need to have a whole cycle that's nothing BUT plus-size, with challenges geared toward what those models will encounter in the real world. (And don't even get me started on how someone who wears a size 10-12 is considered plus size.)

chefann said:
The show's attitude to plus size models is a joke, too. They feel compelled to include 1 or 2 in the initial casting each season. But they're NEVER going to make it to the end, because they don't have the "couture look" and don't fit into the samples that designers make for shows. If they really wanted to promote plus-size, they need to have a whole cycle that's nothing BUT plus-size, with challenges geared toward what those models will encounter in the real world. (And don't even get me started on how someone who wears a size 10-12 is considered plus size.)

I think that is a GREAT idea for a new season! Hopefully they'll do that for one of these!

chefann said:
She looked so wooden in the shoot. And since that's what the challenge was, I think that she should have been eliminated.

The show's attitude to plus size models is a joke, too. They feel compelled to include 1 or 2 in the initial casting each season. But they're NEVER going to make it to the end, because they don't have the "couture look" and don't fit into the samples that designers make for shows. If they really wanted to promote plus-size, they need to have a whole cycle that's nothing BUT plus-size, with challenges geared toward what those models will encounter in the real world. (And don't even get me started on how someone who wears a size 10-12 is considered plus size.)

Amen, and amen!

Okay, we're 15 minutes into the show, and I'm already done with Bianca. The girl is just mean. I can only hope she's watching this and appalled at her behavior. I don't have a lot of hope for that, but I'm holding onto it.

I really want Bianca gone.I understand their choice. I'm just really tired of Bianca.

I haven't watched tonight's episode yet. I was tired of Bianca a few weeks ago.This past weekend, there was a marathon of Cycle 5, which I didn't watch when it was originally aired (not regularly, anyway). That season, Bre was the evil one. And I realized that she reminded me of Bianca.

Yeah, I forgot about Bre. Bianca does remind me of her.

She's gone!I have to admit, her little speech about how she came in all c0cky, but she's changed made me laugh.

Hooray!! I didn't watch last night's episode yet. DH and I were out last night, and I probably won't have a chance to watch it until the weekend.Last week's elimination was sad, but inevitable, after Heather only made it to 1 go-see.

Yeah, as much as I was rooting for Heather, I really couldn't see her as the winner. Of the girls who are left, I expect Chantal to be the next to go. I just don't think she gets it sometimes.

Ohh.... poor Chantal during the show.

Yeah, I felt sorry for her. That had to be embarrassing.

I'm actually pleased with the final two. I'm quietly rooting for Saleisha, though.

Me, too. I'm glad it wasn't a battle of the blondes, like Cycle 7 (Caridee and Melrose).

Woo hoo! She won!

Yay!!Did you think it was weird that the show seemed to be exclusively for the judges? There were no other people there.

Can't say I really noticed. Then again, I'm multi-tasking. I tend to watch television while I'm doing at least three other things.

Dang it all, I forgot to record it as I've been on a conference call all night long! One of you want to PM me the results?

Results are on yahoo for who won...http://www.yahoo.com/s/759732

<h2>1. What is the Smoke-Free Cycle and why is it significant?</h2><p>The Smoke-Free Cycle is the name given to the current season of America's Next Top Model by host Tyra Banks. It is significant because it aims to promote a smoke-free lifestyle and discourage the glamorization of smoking, especially to young girls who may be watching the show.</p><h2>2. What are your thoughts on the current season of America's Next Top Model?</h2><p>I am both surprised and pleased that the current season has been named the Smoke-Free Cycle. It is refreshing to see a popular show taking a stand against smoking and its negative effects. I also appreciate the irony of watching models, who are often portrayed as perfect and flawless, being shown in a more realistic and relatable light.</p><h2>3. What was your reaction to Tyra's decision to name the season the Smoke-Free Cycle?</h2><p>I was initially surprised, but ultimately happy with Tyra's decision. It shows that she is not afraid to use her platform to promote a positive message and encourage healthy habits among her audience. It also sets a good example for the models and viewers of the show.</p><h2>4. Did you have any thoughts on the recent episode where Ms. Jay talked to the girls about style?</h2><p>I found it interesting that even your DH, who may not typically watch the show, noticed that Ms. Jay was not dressed in his usual eccentric style. It goes to show that the show is not just about fashion and beauty, but also about personal growth and development.</p><h2>5. Do you have any other comments on the current season of America's Next Top Model?</h2><p>I find it fitting that this post is numbered 9800, as it adds a touch of irony to the discussion about irony in the show. Overall, I am enjoying this season and appreciate the focus on promoting a smoke-free lifestyle and promoting a more realistic and diverse view of beauty in the fashion industry.</p>

Related to Smoke-Free Cycle: My Guilty Pleasure & Irony

1. What is the Smoke-Free Cycle and why is it significant?

The Smoke-Free Cycle is the name given to the current season of America's Next Top Model by host Tyra Banks. It is significant because it aims to promote a smoke-free lifestyle and discourage the glamorization of smoking, especially to young girls who may be watching the show.

2. What are your thoughts on the current season of America's Next Top Model?

I am both surprised and pleased that the current season has been named the Smoke-Free Cycle. It is refreshing to see a popular show taking a stand against smoking and its negative effects. I also appreciate the irony of watching models, who are often portrayed as perfect and flawless, being shown in a more realistic and relatable light.

3. What was your reaction to Tyra's decision to name the season the Smoke-Free Cycle?

I was initially surprised, but ultimately happy with Tyra's decision. It shows that she is not afraid to use her platform to promote a positive message and encourage healthy habits among her audience. It also sets a good example for the models and viewers of the show.

4. Did you have any thoughts on the recent episode where Ms. Jay talked to the girls about style?

I found it interesting that even your DH, who may not typically watch the show, noticed that Ms. Jay was not dressed in his usual eccentric style. It goes to show that the show is not just about fashion and beauty, but also about personal growth and development.

5. Do you have any other comments on the current season of America's Next Top Model?

I find it fitting that this post is numbered 9800, as it adds a touch of irony to the discussion about irony in the show. Overall, I am enjoying this season and appreciate the focus on promoting a smoke-free lifestyle and promoting a more realistic and diverse view of beauty in the fashion industry.

Back