• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sick and Tired of Chronic Sinus Issues? Try These Tips to Finally Find Relief!

In summary, Kristi has had two bad sinus colds this winter, and recommends using saline solution, Zicam, and hot rags to help relieve symptoms. She also recommends seeking professional help if the cold persists for more than four weeks.
Kristina21
I am Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired!!!:grumpy: I have had this sinus "plague" since October! Actually it started with my normal fall season sinus cold...then while I was at work ( I work in a Copy Center) I inhaled a TON of toner one afternoon while fixing a copy machine. I coughed purple for a couple days. ick :yuck: So now I can't work in there because it makes my "plague" flair up... It gets better then worse then better then worse... I'M SICK OF IT!

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of a sinus cold?

Have you tried a saline solution? You either use a Neti Pot or a Nose squeezer thingy and shoot it up your nose. Seems odd, but it really works. There are things like Simply Saline and SinuCleanse or something like that. Everytime I'm stuffy, I do that (one cup of warm water with 1 tsp coarse salt). It works everytime. I know there is a full discussion on this. Search Neti Pot :).

Kristina21 said:
I am Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired!!!:grumpy: I have had this sinus "plague" since October! Actually it started with my normal fall season sinus cold...then while I was at work ( I work in a Copy Center) I inhaled a TON of toner one afternoon while fixing a copy machine. I coughed purple for a couple days. ick :yuck: So now I can't work in there because it makes my "plague" flair up... It gets better then worse then better then worse... I'M SICK OF IT!

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of a sinus cold?

I feel your pain. I've had two bad sinus colds this winter...I usually have none. I got this one three weeks ago on a cruise (yes, in the warm tropics, I got a cold), and haven't kicked it since.

I use lots of Zicam, and got cold relief stuff with pseudoephedrine in it. That seems to help. (Apparently I've never bought anything with pseudoephedrine in it before...sheesh. That's a process. I mean, please. I'm fat. There are no fat meth-heads. One look at me seriously negates any thought that I'm a meth-head. Gimme the darned drugs without an inquisition already....)

Oh I feel your pain. I have had sinus trouble for many years! Luckily I finally had sinus surgery about 12 years ago and got sinus windows!

When I went to the Dr. he hit my face w/his fingers and would say, "Does this hurt?" I said, "No." He did an x-ray and I was full of infection. He was shocked to say the least. He put me on antibiotics for 3 weeks and then had a CT scan done. I was better, but still a lot of infeciton. This continued for another 4 weeks. That is why I had sinus surgery. The ENT Dr. had to do "Roto Rooter" and then put the windows in!

I will never regret that surgery. I still have sinus problems sometimes, but I do not get the infections that can't go away. I have allergies which are year round and actually worse in the winter since I am allergic to mold. My Dr. thinks its snow mold since it's always worse in the late winter/spring for me. I was tested for allergies which I have, but none of them were bad enough for shots, and they don't have shots for mold which is my worst. I take a Claritin every day. It takes a while for allergy medicine to build up in your body. I also take it at night because it is 24 hour so it kicks in the most in the morning when allergies are the worst.

Saline is the best to clean your sinus cavities out. My sister actually tried a new one that you heat up before you use it. She said it worked great! Sorry, can't remember the name but maybe you could ask the pharm. about it.

You can also heat up some water in your PC cookware and breath over the steam. That feels really good. I have also layed hot rags over my face.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sending good wishes and prayers your way Kristi to get rid of the sinus problems. I had sinus surgery almost 19 years ago which has helped but unfortunatley my doctor says I'll always continue to have problems, just not as severe as back then. I take Tylenol Sinus (over the counter) now to help my sinus headaches and use Saline spray to keep my sinus's open more.

Jean DeVries said:
(Apparently I've never bought anything with pseudoephedrine in it before...sheesh. That's a process. I mean, please. I'm fat. There are no fat meth-heads. One look at me seriously negates any thought that I'm a meth-head. Gimme the darned drugs without an inquisition already....)

Jean, you make me laugh!!! :D

DebbieJ said:
Jean, you make me laugh!!! :D

I was just going to post that when I saw Debbie's post - but I'll say it again - Jean, you make me laugh!:D :D :D

Jean DeVries said:
I feel your pain. I've had two bad sinus colds this winter...I usually have none. I got this one three weeks ago on a cruise (yes, in the warm tropics, I got a cold), and haven't kicked it since.

I use lots of Zicam, and got cold relief stuff with pseudoephedrine in it. That seems to help. (Apparently I've never bought anything with pseudoephedrine in it before...sheesh. That's a process. I mean, please. I'm fat. There are no fat meth-heads. One look at me seriously negates any thought that I'm a meth-head. Gimme the darned drugs without an inquisition already....)

LOL! You guys are amazing! Thank you for all the insights. I've tried Sudafed and it makes me feel...what's the word? "Loopy", there that works. My DH just ran to the store to get me a decongestant, it's cold and he's not too happy. he he :D

I forgot to mention Mucinex works great too. It really helps loosen everything up! I take the maximum listed.

I 2nd the call for the neti pot. There's a thing called SinuCleanse... it's like $15 and includes the pot, a little spoon and a few saline packets to get started. Watch the video on their website and give it a shot. I use my little SinuCleanse neti pot at the first sign of sinus trouble and it ALWAYS makes a big difference for the better. The only side effects are for the good.

lkprescott said:
I 2nd the call for the neti pot. There's a thing called SinuCleanse... it's like $15 and includes the pot, a little spoon and a few saline packets to get started. Watch the video on their website and give it a shot. I use my little SinuCleanse neti pot at the first sign of sinus trouble and it ALWAYS makes a big difference for the better. The only side effects are for the good.

That is the thing my sister used:)! She said it is the best!

Kristina21 said:
LOL! You guys are amazing! Thank you for all the insights. I've tried Sudafed and it makes me feel...what's the word? "Loopy", there that works. My DH just ran to the store to get me a decongestant, it's cold and he's not too happy. he he :D

If you feel loopy with Sudafed, do NOT buy anything with pseudoephedrine.

We've had a whole conversation on this before...a certain % of the population has the paradoxical effect where pseudoephedrine does opposite of what it needs to and just makes you wired.

You can take things like Musinex, Top Care (generic brand) now makes a NyQuil WITHOUT pseudoephedrine. Coricidin HBP (High Blood Pressure) doesn't have it - don't worry, you can take it with low blood pressure.

Basically, the best advice is fluids, rest, keep a cool mist vaporizer going in your house at all times!!!!
...and if your doctor will prescribe Flonase or something for you to take each day, that will help.

I have the sinucleanse thing...helps a little but not a cure-all when you are already predisposed to get sinus infections. It does HELP though.

Sudafed makes me so thirsty! I actually have nightmares I'm dieing of thirst!! I mean every time! I don't take it anymore!

Jean DeVries said:
(Apparently I've never bought anything with pseudoephedrine in it before...sheesh. That's a process. I mean, please. I'm fat. There are no fat meth-heads. One look at me seriously negates any thought that I'm a meth-head. Gimme the darned drugs without an inquisition already....)
Now, what I love is that you have to prove you're over 18. You see, when you turn 18 you magically begin making good decisions? Have these people ever heard of Brittany Spears? Lindsay Lohan? :rolleyes:

Try limiting you dairy intake. That works for me.

Also, I too use a neti pot and LOVE it :love: !!!

Do you go to a chiropractor? Your neck may be out of alignement and if that's the case your mucous would have a tougher time draining.

Hope you feel better soon!! :D :D

Related to Sick and Tired of Chronic Sinus Issues? Try These Tips to Finally Find Relief!

1. What are some common symptoms of chronic sinus issues?

Some common symptoms of chronic sinus issues include sinus pressure, congestion, facial pain or tenderness, headaches, postnasal drip, and difficulty breathing through the nose.

2. Are there any lifestyle changes that can help with chronic sinus issues?

Yes, there are several lifestyle changes that can help alleviate chronic sinus issues. These include staying hydrated, using a humidifier, avoiding irritants such as smoke or allergens, and practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently.

3. Can certain foods aggravate chronic sinus issues?

Yes, certain foods can aggravate chronic sinus issues, especially those that are high in sugar or dairy. These can contribute to inflammation in the sinuses and worsen symptoms.

4. What are some natural remedies for chronic sinus issues?

Some natural remedies for chronic sinus issues include using a saline nasal spray or rinse, using essential oils, applying warm compresses, and drinking herbal teas or consuming foods with anti-inflammatory properties, such as ginger and turmeric.

5. When should I see a doctor for my chronic sinus issues?

If your symptoms persist for more than 10 days, or if you experience severe pain, high fever, or difficulty breathing, it is important to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. Chronic sinus issues can also be a sign of underlying conditions, such as allergies or nasal polyps, that may require medical intervention.

Back