• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Send Some Prayers to Tornado Victims....

In summary, on Wednesday night in Chapman KS, Manhattan KS, and K-State campus in Manhattan, a severe tornado caused significant damage to the small town of Chapman and the college campus, with reports of a half mile wide tornado. 2 people were killed and hundreds lost their homes. A family in Chapman had their house completely destroyed while others were left with shells of homes that were deemed unsalvageable. The tornado narrowly missed the home of the poster's stepson in Manhattan. The family is safe but others in Chapman are facing the loss of their homes as the landlord has stated they will not be rebuilding. The conversation also touched on the need for better communication from loved ones during natural disasters and the unpredictable nature of tornadoes.
lacychef
in Chapman KS, Manhattan KS, and K-State campus in Manhattan Wednesday night. 85% of the small town of Chapman was devastated, and Manhattan and the college campus on KState had significant damage. It was reported that the tornado was a half mile wide! The storm started around where I live as a severe thunderstorm, then moved east.Definately think of the 2 people that were killed, as well as the hundreds that lost their homes....

here's a story...http://www.kansas.com/690/story/432424.html

Sending prayers their way. Tragic story Lacy.

That's awful...sending prayers their way...

The lady I get my work from (Susan) her cousins live/lived in Chapman and they went over to the house next door to get in their basement and when they came up after the tornados had passed the house above them was gone. The did let her cousin go through a window of their house to get her purse. Susan's aunt and uncle went out yesterday (thursday) to pick the family up (mom, dad, and two kids) and the kids are in Baldwin City, KS with Susan and then Susan's cousins and aunt and uncle were headed back to Chapman today to see if there is anything salvagable. The landlord already said they would not be rebuilding their house and that is the case with about 50% of the housing there.

JoLynn

lacychef said:
in Chapman KS, Manhattan KS, and K-State campus in Manhattan Wednesday night. 85% of the small town of Chapman was devastated, and Manhattan and the college campus on KState had significant damage. It was reported that the tornado was a half mile wide! The storm started around where I live as a severe thunderstorm, then moved east.Definately think of the 2 people that were killed, as well as the hundreds that lost their homes....

here's a story...http://www.kansas.com/690/story/432424.html
My Dear Stepson and his family live in Manhattan! I'm going to have DH call the boy right away! I had no idea- they narrowly missed one about 2 months ago- I hope they are alright!

How awful! They'll be in my prayers.

jbarnhill said:
The lady I get my work from (Susan) her cousins live/lived in Chapman and they went over to the house next door to get in their basement and when they came up after the tornados had passed the house above them was gone. The did let her cousin go through a window of their house to get her purse. Susan's aunt and uncle went out yesterday (thursday) to pick the family up (mom, dad, and two kids) and the kids are in Baldwin City, KS with Susan and then Susan's cousins and aunt and uncle were headed back to Chapman today to see if there is anything salvagable. The landlord already said they would not be rebuilding their house and that is the case with about 50% of the housing there.
JoLynn

Where will people live then? And how come they won't rebuild? Do the insurance companies not cover tornado damage? I feel terrible for these families.

Okay, DSS (dear stepson) and his family are fine. The tornado touched down on their street, but they only lost a door! Whew! That child really needs to call us more often- I can't worry about him if I don't know I'm supposed to be worrying! :) LOL

Thanks for this post Lacy! (how are you by the way?)

jbarnhill said:

JoLynn

Did any of that storm go through Lawrence?

Glad to hear he's okay Kacey! Geez, I would be on him to call more often, definately!
It's so amazing what tornadoes can do....destroy so much, then in the midst there will be a house or two untouched. In Chapman, they said that a lot of the houses weren't completely destroyed, but not salvagable; so they'll have to tear them down & rebuild. I'm not sure which would be worse; having the tornado take it all, or just having a shell of a house left & watching it be torn down.

lacychef said:
Glad to hear he's okay Kacey! Geez, I would be on him to call more often, definately!
It's so amazing what tornadoes can do....destroy so much, then in the midst there will be a house or two untouched. In Chapman, they said that a lot of the houses weren't completely destroyed, but not salvagable; so they'll have to tear them down & rebuild. I'm not sure which would be worse; having the tornado take it all, or just having a shell of a house left & watching it be torn down.
I think both options stink! :( I should have asked if Joshua was part of the Military Clean-up crew.

I am sorry so many lost their homes and that people are dying from these storms. Holy cow! Lots of tornados this year!

Kitchen Diva said:
I think both options stink! :( I should have asked if Joshua was part of the Military Clean-up crew.

I am sorry so many lost their homes and that people are dying from these storms. Holy cow! Lots of tornados this year!

Yeah, I do too!
They were showing on the news that nationally, we're up about 500 more tornadoes this year so far, compared to last year.

lacychef said:
Yeah, I do too!
They were showing on the news that nationally, we're up about 500 more tornadoes this year so far, compared to last year.
I heard that, too. Also I've noticed weather and temperature wise we are about 3-4 weeks behind schedule, so I wonder if that is why the storms are more severe this year? I've heard them say it's like it's still Spring...

1. How can I send prayers to tornado victims?

You can send prayers to tornado victims by simply taking a moment to think of them and sending positive thoughts their way. You can also participate in organized prayer events or join online prayer groups dedicated to sending prayers to those affected by tornadoes.

2. Is there a specific way to pray for tornado victims?

There is no right or wrong way to pray for tornado victims. You can pray for their safety, strength, and recovery. You can also pray for the first responders and volunteers helping with relief efforts. The most important thing is to send sincere and heartfelt prayers.

3. Can I make a donation to support tornado victims?

Yes, you can make a donation to reputable organizations and charities that are providing aid to tornado victims. You can also donate to local churches and community centers that are collecting supplies and funds for those affected by tornadoes.

4. Are there any specific items that tornado victims need?

The specific needs of tornado victims may vary depending on the severity of the disaster and their individual circumstances. However, common items that are often needed include non-perishable food, water, hygiene products, clothing, and shelter. You can check with local aid organizations to see what specific items they are currently in need of.

5. Can I volunteer to help tornado victims?

Yes, many organizations and charities rely on volunteers to provide assistance to tornado victims. You can reach out to local organizations to inquire about volunteer opportunities. Keep in mind that some may require specific training or background checks before allowing volunteers to participate in relief efforts.

Back