• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Salvaging a Greasy Spaghetti Sauce: Tips for Saving Your Dish

In summary, the grease rose to the top of the sauce and some of the meatballs crumbled. They are thinking of trying chocolate body paint to get the grease out.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Hubby and I made spaghetti sauce yesterday with meatballs. The meat we used was much fattier than the usual ground beef we typically used. I noticed as we were frying the meatballs that they were letting off a lot of grease. But we soldiered on and put the meatballs in the sauce and let it cook for several hours - then all this fat rose to the top - like 3/4" deep of grease on top of my sauce! And more than 1/2 of the meatballs crumbled in teh sauce so now we have a meat sauce with some meatballs in it. We spooned off as much of the fat as we could but the sauce still has this greasy taste to it. I had to toss it - that was a lot of $ in ingredients. Any tips on how to salvage it?

maybe add some wet bread to the meatballs? i use wet bread when I make meatballs to keep them together.

vwpamperedchef said:
maybe add some wet bread to the meatballs? i use wet bread when I make meatballs to keep them together.

They've already crumbled IN the sauce. I need something to get that greasiness out of the sauce.

Did you ever have one of those de-greaser brushes/mops from The Pampered Chef? I can't remember the name of it, but it was supposed to soak up the grease in food just like the oil from oil spills is soaked up from the oceans. If you chill it, won't more grease separate so you can take it out. Sorry, I'm so not a chemist, but I seem to remember that grease will get hard and chunk up, but maybe it won't separate. I don't know. Good luck!

Other than letting it cool and grease go to the top, all I can think is to add a bid more tomato paste to thicken it up and absorb some of the flavor...Sorry, not much help here...we bought 1/2 grass fed cow this year so I'm spoiled with the non-fatty, non-watery meat.

I wonder if pouring it through the skimmer would remove any of it? Especially after it dot cold. But then it may be to thick for anything to run through it. The strainer may be better.

No other suggestions from me - I am not good as salvaging.

janetupnorth said:

Sorry, not much help here...we bought 1/2 grass fed cow this year so I'm spoiled with the non-fatty, non-watery meat.

Isn't that the best meat? We raise our own so we KNOW what it's been fed. I rarely have to drain anything. When I make something for a potluck or something like that, people can taste the difference.

dannyzmom said:
I need something to get that greasiness out of the sauce.

My mom always used the fatty ground beef growing up, and I just remember using a spoon to scoop the grease off the top of the sauce. Just heat up the sauce, the grease will rise to the top, and then just take a large spoon (like a table spoon or serving spoon) and scoop out the grease.

I have a fantastic meatball & sauce recipe (passed down from Italian relatives) that doesn't require frying and the meatballs never fall apart. Let me know if you want it!

cathyskitchen said:
My mom always used the fatty ground beef growing up, and I just remember using a spoon to scoop the grease off the top of the sauce. Just heat up the sauce, the grease will rise to the top, and then just take a large spoon (like a table spoon or serving spoon) and scoop out the grease.

I have a fantastic meatball & sauce recipe (passed down from Italian relatives) that doesn't require frying and the meatballs never fall apart. Let me know if you want it!

Please share:D

I would put the sauce in the frig and let it get cold. Tomorrow morning, the grease should all be solid and you can pull it right off. Not that this helps if you want to eat it tonight.... :p

grated parmesan cheese will also absorb some of the grease as well.

I've made meatballs with 80/20 ground beef, (when money was tight) and did not have the issues you described. I wonder if you just got a bad package of meat?!? I also let my meatballs cook in the sauce after cooking them to (mostly done) in a 350 degree oven, and I've never had them fall apart, or release so much grease that I've had to throw my sauce away. So I'm obviously no help here. Hmmmm- Kitchen Diva not be helpful? This is not good! ;)

So my thoughts are this...first- run out and get some chocolate body paint. HA! Sorry- couldn't resist that one dearie! :)

OKay, back to my pure and innocent thoughts- I think your meat was bad. I have a very simple meatball recipe. My DH is Italian, he loves my meatballs. They don't fall apart, but are very moist, and do break apart easily- as they've been cooked in sauce all day.

I'm sorry your sauce didn't turn out. I agree with letting the sauce cool- put it in the fridge, and the next day, the grease should be hard and on top, and you can just pull it off and toss it. Let's just hope that this will never happen again! That must have been some fatty meat! Also, you can soak up the grease that rises to the top while cooking with some day old bread slices.

HTH. :)

Lettuce will also supposedly absorb grease. Place a couple of leaves on top of the sauce, let them absorb, then discard. Repeat.

BTW, Kacey-- this is for you: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/138.gif

chefann said:
BTW, Kacey-- this is for you: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/138.gif

That is a cute little angel. What exactly is he doing?
I am so honored to have a smiley just for me! :blushing:

Is he plugging it in when the halo glow goes out? TOOO FUNNY!! I love it! That'll be my new Avitar if you can make it larger for me! :)

chefann said:
I have bad eyes. What is that?

JAE said:
I have bad eyes. What is that?
It's an "Angel" who has a plug in halo.... and his little halo goes out and he has to plug it back in!

TOO DANG FUNNY!!!

DH will look at that and say- yup, that is totally you my dear!

Sorry, though, I can't make it bigger.Let's give Carolyn her thread back now. :)

So Carolyn, will you be making another pot of sauce, soon? Was it the grease that ruined it, or the fact that the meatballs fell apart making it a meat sauce that ruined it?

Put a piece of dental floss on the sauce if you put it in the fridge. When the grease hardens the floss can be used to pull it up.Robin

Kitchen Diva said:

I've made meatballs with 80/20 ground beef, (when money was tight) and did not have the issues you described. I wonder if you just got a bad package of meat?!? I also let my meatballs cook in the sauce after cooking them to (mostly done) in a 350 degree oven, and I've never had them fall apart, or release so much grease that I've had to throw my sauce away. So I'm obviously no help here. Hmmmm- Kitchen Diva not be helpful? This is not good! ;)

So my thoughts are this...first- run out and get some chocolate body paint. HA! Sorry- couldn't resist that one dearie! :)

OKay, back to my pure and innocent thoughts- I think your meat was bad. I have a very simple meatball recipe. My DH is Italian, he loves my meatballs. They don't fall apart, but are very moist, and do break apart easily- as they've been cooked in sauce all day.

Figures you's turn this into a post about my husband's private parts. And, no, his meat is not bad ;)
bahahahahaha

Ok - update on the sauce - DH added some onion, mushroom and peppers...more canned tomotoes and then he mashed up all the meatballs and served it all over pasta. I was in the potty within 5 minutes of eating :(
But I smiled and thanked him for trying 'cause I love him...and he does not have "bad meat" LOL

priscilla said:
Put a piece of dental floss on the sauce if you put it in the fridge. When the grease hardens the floss can be used to pull it up.

Robin
Hopefully, you have plain flavored dental floss!:)

dannyzmom said:
Figures you's turn this into a post about my husband's private parts. And, no, his meat is not bad ;)
bahahahahaha

I sooo didn't say anything about his meat. You are naughty. (I hope you are teasing me because now I feel terrible! :cry:

Kitchen Diva said:

I'm sorry your sauce didn't turn out. I agree with letting the sauce cool- put it in the fridge, and the next day, the grease should be hard and on top, and you can just pull it off and toss it. Let's just hope that this will never happen again! That must have been some fatty meat! Also, you can soak up the grease that rises to the top while cooking with some day old bread slices.

Here is proof that I said you may have gotten a bad package of meat- not anything about your DH. :eek:

Kitchen Diva said:
Here is proof that I said you may have gotten a bad package of meat- not anything about your DH. :eek:

Oh sure - now you're talking about my husband's "package" huh??
Bahahahahahahhaha!

Kitchen Diva said:
I sooo didn't say anything about his meat. You are naughty. (I hope you are teasing me because now I feel terrible! :cry:

Of course I am teasing you!!

That's good, because I almost took my ball and went home to call my Mommy!

LOL

Sorry you got sick from your sauce...

Kitchen Diva said:
That's good, because I almost took my ball and went home to call my Mommy!

LOL

Sorry you got sick from your sauce...

Aw geez...now she's talkin' 'bout balls...;)

I'm starting to think you need more than a jar of chocolate body paint!!!!
;)

Off to watch American Idol.

Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live episode...Schweaty balls...

janetupnorth said:
Other than letting it cool and grease go to the top, all I can think is to add a bid more tomato paste to thicken it up and absorb some of the flavor...

Sorry, not much help here...we bought 1/2 grass fed cow this year so I'm spoiled with the non-fatty, non-watery meat.

I think that if you have the extra money, it is well worth it to find someone that raises cattle and buy a side of beef!!! My parents own beef cattle and they give me one every year, it is absolutely the best meat you'll ever eat. Once you see how quickly a pound of freshly frozen ground beef thaws compared to one you buy at the store, you will be amazed! It shows just how many preservatives are really added to your food. Plus it lasts me for a year, so that is a year of not having to buy any red meat!!!!

Carolyn, sorry about your sauce and your bad meat!!! LOL

janetupnorth said:
Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live episode...Schweaty balls...

I love that one!!!

chefshawna said:
I think that if you have the extra money, it is well worth it to find someone that raises cattle and buy a side of beef!!! My parents own beef cattle and they give me one every year, it is absolutely the best meat you'll ever eat. Once you see how quickly a pound of freshly frozen ground beef thaws compared to one you buy at the store, you will be amazed! It shows just how many preservatives are really added to your food. Plus it lasts me for a year, so that is a year of not having to buy any red meat!!!!

Carolyn, sorry about your sauce and your bad meat!!! LOL

I can't complain about the price we paid. We paid $2.00/lb. including the butchering...and have PLENTY of steaks of various types along with roasts and hamburger.

JAE said:
Did you ever have one of those de-greaser brushes/mops from The Pampered Chef? I can't remember the name of it, but it was supposed to soak up the grease in food just like the oil from oil spills is soaked up from the oceans. If you chill it, won't more grease separate so you can take it out. Sorry, I'm so not a chemist, but I seem to remember that grease will get hard and chunk up, but maybe it won't separate. I don't know. Good luck!

That product was called The Magic Mop, cause it sucked excess grease up and left the other food alone! That was in the product line when I first started and was discontinued in my first year!;)

Actually, if you put the sauce in the fridge overnight, sometimes the fat will rise to the top and congeal... and you can actually spoon it all out. We do this with extra fat in our spaghetti sauce or chili all the time.

Related to Salvaging a Greasy Spaghetti Sauce: Tips for Saving Your Dish

1. How do I remove excess grease from a spaghetti sauce?

To remove excess grease from a spaghetti sauce, you can spoon off as much of the fat as possible using a large spoon or ladle. You can also use a fat separator or let the sauce cool and then skim off the solidified fat from the top.

2. Can I still use the sauce if it has a greasy taste?

If you have already removed as much grease as possible and the sauce still has a greasy taste, you can try adding a splash of red wine or a bit of sugar to help balance out the flavor. You can also try adding some acid, like lemon juice or vinegar, to cut through the greasiness.

3. How can I prevent this issue in the future?

To prevent a sauce from becoming too greasy, choose leaner meats or drain off excess grease before adding it to the sauce. You can also cook the meat separately and then add it to the sauce, rather than cooking it directly in the sauce.

4. Can I still salvage the meatballs that have crumbled in the sauce?

If the meatballs have crumbled in the sauce, you can try removing them and using them in a different dish, such as a pasta bake or on top of a pizza. If you want to still use them in the sauce, try stirring them in gently and simmering for a shorter amount of time to prevent them from breaking apart further.

5. Are there any other ingredients I can add to help remove the greasy taste?

In addition to the suggestions mentioned above, you can also try adding some starchy ingredients, like bread or pasta, to help absorb excess grease. You can also try adding more herbs and spices to help mask the greasy taste.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebsApronStrings
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies