• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preparing for Baby while Battling Illness: Tips for Staying Healthy and Safe

just a little congested.We have gotten pretty lucky as far as illness goes this year. DD's have had a cold and a bought with strep but that is it. Now I'm having a baby ANY day now, I have a c-section scheduled for next Friday (21st) and my husbund is sicker than a dog! Any tips other than disinfecting everything I can find? I'm really afraid that I'm going to get this and go into labor but I'm more worried about not getting it and going into labor while he is still so sick! He would be a little devastated if he couldn't be around me or our new son.Has he been to the doctor
buckeyefan08
We have gotten pretty lucky as far as illness goes this year. DD's have had a cold and a bought with strep but that is it. Now I'm having a baby ANY day now, I have a c-section scheduled for next Friday (21st) and my husbund is sicker than a dog! Fever, stuffy, cough, body aches, and we'll call it intestinal distress!
Any tips other than disinfecting everything I can find? I'm really afraid that I'm going to get this and go into labor but I'm more worried about not getting it and going into labor while he is still so sick! He would be a little devastated if he couldn't be around me or our new son.

Has he been to the doctor? My suggestion would be to get him on anitbiotics NOW so that he can hopefully feel better by the time you have your new little one!

Congrats by the way! So close!

I agree with Wadesgirl...antibiotics ASAP.....good luck with your csection!!

Is this flu not viral? How would antibiotics help?

We have it going on here too and the last 3 years we've been on antibiotics with the crud going on in the winter - 3 sets of doses each time. I'm thinking the antibiotics didn't do anything - it finally just ran it's course. Am I wrong here this time?

BethCooks4U said:

We have it going on here too and the last 3 years we've been on antibiotics with the crud going on in the winter - 3 sets of doses each time. I'm thinking the antibiotics didn't do anything - it finally just ran it's course. Am I wrong here this time?

The only way that an antibiotic will help the Flu is if, while running it's course, it brings on a bout of Bronchitis, or Pneumonia. That's what happened with me - and the antibiotics were for the Bronchitis, not the Flu.

The best way not to catch something, docs say, is to wash wash wash your hands. Also, wearing a face mask around him can't hurt either. Seriously... not to treat him like the diseased but if you're that close to the end of your pregnancy I'd say the idea is to keep you healthy and to get him there. So you can take him to the docs but if it's viral, antibiotics will do NOTHING and actually their overuse is why we have things like superbugs out there. For him... rest, fluids and if he can eat, light foods, especially if he's puking. BRAT diet works well if he's able to hold down liquids and progress to food with the intestinal thing. Keep him bundled, let his body so its job and fight off the illness so he can take care of you when the baby arrives. I'd also put a call into your OB/GYN to let them know what's going on... they'll appreciate knowing what you're being exposed to and what's in your household right now. If you're planning on breastfeeding, know that your body is right now making antibodies in trying to keep you healthy and that will transmit through the milk... mother's milk = good medicine. Good luck! I hope you good health on both ends.

BethCooks4U said:

Beth - you're right. Flu's are viral and antibiotics don't help viral infections. They only help bacterial infections. The reason so many things are drug resistant now-a-days is b/c antibiotics have been overprescribed and prescribed for things they aren't meant to be used for.

That being said...still helps you subconciously to know you're on meds, right? ;)

They do have flu pills which make the flu shorter. They do have to be started right away though, so it may be too late for him.

Good luck and contrats on the new baby!

I still believe in this particular case, he should go to the doctor. Antibiotics or not, they doctor maybe able to do something to help shorten this issue or give great advice to help the little one who doesn't need his/her mommy sick too.

wadesgirl said:
I still believe in this particular case, he should go to the doctor. Antibiotics or not, they doctor maybe able to do something to help shorten this issue or give great advice to help the little one who doesn't need his/her mommy sick too.
I agree. With you being pregnant and that baby due any day I would do everything I could to shorten his illness and protect yourself from getting it.

Hand washing IS vital!!

DH went to the doctor because he has respiratory issues and we were sure he had bronchitis (again) but the dr said it's just the flu. I am not as bad as he so I highly doubt it's more than the "crud".

What did those who had this take to stop the coughing??

Just sending my well wishing thoughts. I'm pregnant too and quite sick with a cold my son had last week. We are praying that DH doesn't get it. If your DH is as sick as me - do everything you can not to get it. Wash your hands - sleep on the couch (the nurse at work recommended that one to me during my last pregnancy - actually it was get DH to sleep on the couch ;) ). And get him sleeping... I love neocitran for that. It takes away the pain, takes away the stuffiness and knocks me out cold so my body can heal. Of course I can't take it now.. but your DH can.

ZK

BethCooks4U said:
I agree. With you being pregnant and that baby due any day I would do everything I could to shorten his illness and protect yourself from getting it.

Hand washing IS vital!!

DH went to the doctor because he has respiratory issues and we were sure he had bronchitis (again) but the dr said it's just the flu. I am not as bad as he so I highly doubt it's more than the "crud".

What did those who had this take to stop the coughing??

They will prescribe cough syrup with codeine or for those who can't take that Tession (? sp) pearls to relax the bronchi and reduce the cough.

If it is the flu and he gets in right away they can give him Tamiflu or something similar if tested and verified to be flu.

Best medicine is rest and fluids.

Antibiotics are for when the flu turns into sinus infection or other things...

Because you're pregnant your immunities are elevated, so you should be fine. Just make sure you're taking your vitamins, getting as much rest as possible, staying hydrated and eating lots of yogurt...have you seen the Yo Mommy. Maybe do a really good dusting of your house (ceiling fans, blinds, floorboards etc), change your air filters in your heater, wash all the bedding, wash all curtains and pillows etc...Also if you were to catch anything you will be on antibiotics when you deliver, so technically the baby will also be on antibiotics.

Thanks for all the tips!
Jusat got back from the Dr.'s it's a sinus infection (a pretty bad one apparently) So he is on antibiotics for the first time in probably 10 yrs. At least they will work since he difinetly doesn't have any immunities to the medication! He wasn't going to let them make tomarrow off work but I told him the faster he gets back to normal the better it will be, he's not going to be much help to me if he's sick! I hope I make it a few more days (never thought I'd say that!) I've been having contractions all day, no pattern to them though! Hopefully we're just getting ready! I've got to get all these guys better first! AGH... the things we do as mothers and wives!
Thanks again though!!

Related to Preparing for Baby while Battling Illness: Tips for Staying Healthy and Safe

1. How can I stay healthy while pregnant and battling illness?

The first step is to consult with your healthcare provider about your specific situation. They can provide personalized recommendations and monitor your health throughout your pregnancy. It's also important to prioritize rest, eat a balanced diet, and take any prescribed medications as directed.

2. Are there any special precautions I should take to keep my baby safe?

It's important to follow your healthcare provider's instructions and take any necessary precautions to prevent the spread of illness to your baby. This may include wearing a mask, washing your hands frequently, and avoiding close contact with others who are sick.

3. Can I still attend prenatal appointments and classes while battling illness?

You should consult with your healthcare provider about whether it is safe for you to attend in-person appointments and classes while battling illness. They may recommend virtual options or provide specific guidelines for attending in-person appointments.

4. How can I prepare for my baby's arrival while also managing my illness?

Create a plan with your healthcare provider and support system for managing your illness while caring for a newborn. This may include arranging for additional help, having necessary supplies on hand, and discussing any potential complications with your healthcare provider.

5. Are there any specific foods or supplements I should consume to support my health during this time?

Again, it's important to consult with your healthcare provider about any specific dietary recommendations for your situation. In general, a well-balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and protein can support your overall health and the health of your baby. Your healthcare provider may also recommend prenatal vitamins or other supplements.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
Back